PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' Jasikevicius to skip World Championships

Frank Slade
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Pacers' Jasikevicius to skip World Championships

By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer
June 14, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers guard Sarunas Jasikevicius has elected not to join the Lithuanian national team for the world championships in August. ]

The 30-year-old point guard has been the top player in his country for years. The FIBA Web site listed him on Lithuania's preliminary roster, and he was invited to next month's training camp.

Jasikevicius' agent, Doug Neustadt, didn't give a reason Wednesday for why his client opted against playing in the tournament Aug. 19-Sept. 3 in Japan.

"He just told me the end result," Neustadt said. "The only thing I know is he's not going to play this year."

Neustadt said Jasikevicius is to marry Linor Abargil, a former Miss World from Israel, on July 6 in Barcelona, Spain. The couple will have another ceremony days later in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Pacers management has said Jasikevicius became tired late during his first NBA season because the former Euroleague star wasn't used to playing the 82-game NBA season and playoffs.

Neustadt said Jasikevicius has not said anything about being tired.
Jasikevicius led Lithuania to bronze medals in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics. He scored 28 points in Lithuania's upset win over the United States during the 2004 games.

Calls to the Lithuanian national team seeking comment were unanswered.

Updated on Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 6:27 pm EDT

YAHOO (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArkpHOX5ahbUUG3sbF2zWd68vLYF?slug=ap-pacers-jasikevicius-worldchampionships&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Jon Theodore
06-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Good.

Hicks
06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Probably just as good. I know it's popular right now to just say he sucks, but he obviously declined as the year went along, and if his body can take a longer haul next season, I think we'll see his early-season flashes more consistently, and that's a player worthy of seeing floor time. He's no Peja Stojakovic, but he's not nearly the awful shooter he appeared to be the second half of the season either.

bulldog
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm hopeful. Depending on what kind of team we have next year, he could still play a big part.

indytoad
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Is it a bad sign that I'm already wondering how much longer we're going to have his contract on the books?

IndyToad
Left-kneed

Shade
06-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Probably just as good. I know it's popular right now to just say he sucks, but he obviously declined as the year went along, and if his body can take a longer haul next season, I think we'll see his early-season flashes more consistently, and that's a player worthy of seeing floor time. He's no Peja Stojakovic, but he's not nearly the awful shooter he appeared to be the second half of the season either.

I've been saying that for a while now.

Kstat
06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Can't help but think this won't go over too well in the motherland.....

Peja was pretty much expelled from Serbia after he skipped out on his national team.

Anthem
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, Saras obviously hit the rookie wall halfway the season. What's funny was that the Eurofans kept talking about how the NBA is an easier season than the Euroleague one.

We'll see how he does this year, when he's more used to the long haul.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Where the Lithuainians @?

grace
06-15-2006, 12:44 AM
The man is getting married. I don't have a problem with him skipping the tournament.

Peck
06-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Oops wrong thread, sorry

Flax
06-15-2006, 02:57 AM
Where the Lithuainians @?

I am Lithuanian. Not surprised Saras not playing at all. No problems. We have enough tallent beside Saras. He did his best for Lithuanian team in the past, so no regrets.

As for the next season, let him rest. You poor guys got him when he is 30 years old so you gotta live with that now and scratch your heads whether he has enough steam to carry thorugh the long and tough season. I think Mark Cuban had the same concerns when not signing Nash and see what happened. I am not comparing Saras to Nash, do not get me wrong, but all depends on work ethics in offseason whatever talent you have. Neverless, I think he is past the age when PG can play 12 months a year.

Kestas
06-15-2006, 03:44 AM
these news are about two or three weeks old. it was reported arround that time offficially in Lithuanian press and confirmed by our Basketball Federation.

Pacers management has said Jasikevicius became tired late during his first NBA season because the former Euroleague star wasn't used to playing the 82-game NBA season and playoffs.

BS, of course. Saras has learned that he better not say things like that after this season, during which he probably played less than in any season during past 5-7 years. and trained less too. he's getting married and doesn't want to come.

and I totally disagree with Flax. Though I consider myself moderate in these matters, I totally can't see him being tired or even having a good reason to skip these Championships (despite the wedding). there are no reasons. talks of him having to play 12 monts are ridiculous, coz he's already having holidays for you all know how long. and the main camp would only start in July, while the Championships would end as early as the third of September (if we're very lucky) and after that he could have some rest as well. people rearly get so much free time in a year. truth is he planned his wedding dates despite the fact that Lithuania has to participate in the Worlds. besides, wasn't he supposed to improve his ballhandling and BS like that? how'll he improve that if he's, supposedly, tired like a dog? give me a break - the man's just acting egoistic.
he knew in advance he will toss us like dirty clothes. I hope I'm wrong and it was a hard decision for him though.. anyways, despite all that he had courage to star in the World Championships commercial (see www.fiba.com (http://www.fiba.com) WC pic in the middle and click "Video Trailer"). I believe this commercial hit internet after he has confirmed he will not go to Japan..

if he skips another tournament, he will be in danger of joining Ilgauskas in you know what list and this is coming from someone who advocates invitations of players, who have declined invitations in the past without propper explanation (even Ilgauskas, who is hugely unpopular in LTU). bear in mind that even the President of LTU Basketball Federation has advocated the idea of not inviting the players who have skipped previous tournament without a good reason (even Saras, coz he skipped the Eurobasket last year). other officials are more moderate, but that can help you get the picture.

furthermore, Lithuania has no PGs of Saras' level. far from that. obviously, one can say that sooner or later Saras will be gone and the sooner we start playing our youngsters, the better. but fact is that Saras is still pretty young himself and I bet he will want to play for the NT in the future, especially if we make it to the Olympic games. imho.

k

Rytas_Jega
06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
This was expected. He probably won't play in European Championship in 2007. His last tournament is expected to be Olympic Games in 2008 (if Lithuania manages to qualify).

We finished at the 5th place with 5-1 record and qualified to this WC in the last European Championship without Sarunas, Macijauskas, Stombergas, Kaukenas, Timinskas, Zukauskas, Songaila. The only big part left from 2003 European Champions team was Siskauskas. This year Macijauskas should come to Japan too. Add Lavrinovic Twins, Javtokas and we have a team that can get to the quaterfinals. Nuggets Kleiza is going to fight for his palce at our NT this summer. I'm not sure what to expect from him. He didn't get much playing time at Nuggets in 2005/06 season (61 game 8.1mpg, 3.5 ppg, 1.9rpg). Don't forget Lithuania is the last U-21 World Champions. Jankunas, Jomantas and Seibutis will play big roles at our NT in the near future. I have no problems with Saras resting this and next summer or the rest of his career. Saras used to give everything to his National Team in the past. He's our living legend, whether he plays at NT or not, whether he stays alive at NBA or not.

bear in mind that even the President of LTU Basketball Federation has advocated the idea of not inviting the players who have skipped previous tournament without a good reason (even Saras, coz he skipped the Eurobasket last year). other officials are more moderate, but that can help you get the picture.

I support Garastas' idea.

About Saras image at Lithuania. Of course, there will be some stupids, but not as much as Ilgauskas haters. Ilgauskas didn't play a game for our NT after going to NBA and he didn't play at any big interantional tournament before going to NBA. That's why most Lithuanians do not like him so much.

caaprius
06-15-2006, 05:15 AM
This was expected. He probably won't play in European Championship in 2007. His last tournament is expected to be Olympic Games in 2008 (if Lithuania manages to qualify).

Saras after Olympics said that he gonna rest for two summers. 2005 and 2006 summer. while being in Indianapolis he said it again - I plan to come back in 2007 EC.

Jasikevicius led Lithuania to bronze medals in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics.

dont guys in AP know that in 2004 bronze medals were won by U.S.?

DeS
06-15-2006, 06:41 AM
As Kestas said - that's BS. Or so to say - bouncing back (not sure if it's the right term). As I remember from lithuanian media, the main reason was his marriage. Is this a good enough reason? I don't know, but it's clear that he didn't do his best, and that's why he sucks at this point.
Otoh, I think being tired and marriage is not the real reason he will not play. Imho he is not expecting our current team to be the competitors for the medals this year and that's why he just don't want to waste his time (especially considering other events).

Flax
06-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Oh common, give a break to a guy. He deserves to get married, rest and have a nice lazy life without basketball for some time at age 30. May be even getting fat so that there should be something to talk about for our american firends in addition to his poor ballhandling :)

fwpacerfan
06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Can't help but think this won't go over too well in the motherland.....

Peja was pretty much expelled from Serbia after he skipped out on his national team.

I would have to say you are correct Kstat:

these news are about two or three weeks old. it was reported arround that time offficially in Lithuanian press and confirmed by our Basketball Federation.

BS, of course. Saras has learned that he better not say things like that after this season, during which he probably played less than in any season during past 5-7 years. and trained less too. he's getting married and doesn't want to come.

and I totally disagree with Flax. Though I consider myself moderate in these matters, I totally can't see him being tired or even having a good reason to skip these Championships (despite the wedding). there are no reasons. talks of him having to play 12 monts are ridiculous, coz he's already having holidays for you all know how long. and the main camp would only start in July, while the Championships would end as early as the third of September (if we're very lucky) and after that he could have some rest as well. people rearly get so much free time in a year. truth is he planned his wedding dates despite the fact that Lithuania has to participate in the Worlds. besides, wasn't he supposed to improve his ballhandling and BS like that? how'll he improve that if he's, supposedly, tired like a dog? give me a break - the man's just acting egoistic.
he knew in advance he will toss us like dirty clothes. I hope I'm wrong and it was a hard decision for him though.. anyways, despite all that he had courage to star in the World Championships commercial (see www.fiba.com (http://www.fiba.com) WC pic in the middle and click "Video Trailer"). I believe this commercial hit internet after he has confirmed he will not go to Japan..

if he skips another tournament, he will be in danger of joining Ilgauskas in you know what list and this is coming from someone who advocates invitations of players, who have declined invitations in the past without propper explanation (even Ilgauskas, who is hugely unpopular in LTU). bear in mind that even the President of LTU Basketball Federation has advocated the idea of not inviting the players who have skipped previous tournament without a good reason (even Saras, coz he skipped the Eurobasket last year). other officials are more moderate, but that can help you get the picture.

furthermore, Lithuania has no PGs of Saras' level. far from that. obviously, one can say that sooner or later Saras will be gone and the sooner we start playing our youngsters, the better. but fact is that Saras is still pretty young himself and I bet he will want to play for the NT in the future, especially if we make it to the Olympic games. imho.

k

Since86
06-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Is it a bad sign that I'm already wondering how much longer we're going to have his contract on the books?

IndyToad
Left-kneed

No. I wouldn't be surprised if you were already wondering how much longer the 2008 first round draft pick's contract is going to be.

JayRedd
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/01082004/595180/louya_wa.jpg

Play basketball all summer for free.....or hang out with Miss World?

hmmmm......??? Tough choice.

bulldog
06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Look at his expression. Even he's shocked! "WTF is she doing with me!?!?!"

Mourning
06-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I would have to say you are correct Kstat:

I would have to say one person writing down what you quoted doesn't seem very representative for a whole country.

Robertmto
06-16-2006, 02:39 AM
http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/01082004/595180/louya_wa.jpg

"Who said i was tired from playing basketball?"

Kestas
06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
He's our living legend, whether he plays at NT or not, whether he stays alive at NBA or not.

speak for yourself! ;)
I would wait with statements like that, surely. in fact, I'm almost certain, that, as I wrote before, if he fails to play for us in the future, his current status in Lithuania will become history. we'll replace him with someone else and he will be forgotten like many before him, though he could get a place among all time greats of international ball.
Although I do agree he did more than any other player for us in recent decade, but he can still do more. LTU has done nothing in the WOrld Championships, we still are not in top-3 of FIBA rankings as well. he's got the skills and he is healthy, so basically he must represent his country. that's the water and bread of any sportsman. therefore I do not support players skiping tournaments because of the personal reasons, however liberal I might be. he has no moral right to do this. he hasn't got much to go with the NT (maybe 3 years or so), but he choses to spend these years hurting his image and hurting the image of Lithuania as well by repeatedly declining the invitations to play in the international tournaments. in this light his calls for standing up to the example set by basketball generations of the recent past are worthless. he is destroing what he has built with his own hands, imho. surely, not everyone will take his actions into their harts, but one could hardly argue that things like that do influence the young generation of LTU basketball players. when someone like Kaukenas says he won't play, coz he basically has other plans, people call Kaukenas dumb and forget about him, but when Jasikevicius says he won't play because of the same reasons, people start thinking and probable future sportsmen take that as an acceptable example.

k

I would have to say one person writing down what you quoted doesn't seem very representative for a whole country.

absolutely. besides, I didn't suggest he'll get expelled or something ;) papers will still write about his every move and swowbiz people will still want to be friends with him, but to a lesser extent than in the case of him actually respecting his duties.
I mean, our media even love Ilgauskas. he's a star and a huge positive representative of our country, but when it comes to the maters of national basketball, people here generally are not that positive about this player. mildly speaking..

JayRedd
06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
"Who said i was tired from playing basketball?"

For Saras' sake, I'm hoping the Honeymoon will be more strenous than any basketball game.

Robertmto
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
For Saras' sake, I'm hoping the Honeymoon will be more strenous than any basketball game.

Saras: "82 games in 6 months, psh, I'm playing 82 games tonight!"

Robertmto
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Saras: "82 games in 6 months, psh, I'm playing 82 games tonight!"