PDA

View Full Version : Greg oden heading for surgery?

Jon Theodore
06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
I just saw that caption on fox. They said they got the scoop at 10.

Anyone know what this is about?

Young
06-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I know Greg withdrew from the Indiana/Kentucky All Star game, but I don't know what his injury is.

Bball
06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I believe it is probably related to a wrist injury.

BTW... I will repeat what I've already said... He should not be playing college ball at all. It's stupid. Let the legend grow while he works out at home. He has EVERYTHING to lose by playing college ball and nothing to gain. Technically, a year of college ball might get him more ready for the NBA BUT when you are a projected number 1 pick, that doesn't matter.

Of course you can get injured outside of college ball, as this injury should attest, but the odds aren't going to improve by going to college. Even if he doesn't get injured in college he risks having his stock decline and someone else's rise as he showcases his game against more proven players.

If anything, he should be mounting a legal challenge to the NBA's rule requiring a year after HS.

-Bball

Shade
06-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Hmm...

Heh, just heard it on TV.

Frank Slade
06-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I know Greg withdrew from the Indiana/Kentucky All Star game, but I don't know what his injury is.

Yeah this was from an older injury back in March I think where he tore some tendons.. I thought he was just sitting out to be safe, I was not aware of any Surgery though

Will Galen
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060613/SPORTS02/606130489

IndyStar.com Sports High school sports
June 13, 2006

Indiana All-Stars lose Oden
Mr. Basketball will miss home-and-home series against Kentucky with torn ligament in wrist

By Pat McKee
pat.mckee@indystar.com

Oden, the 7-foot senior and two-time national high school Player of the Year from Lawrence North, on Tuesday was ruled out of the annual home-and-home series against Kentucky because of a torn ligament in his right wrist.

"My wrist isn't ready yet," Oden said by telephone from the All-Stars' training camp in Greencastle, Ind. "I'm extremely disappointed, but I have to take care of myself and my body for the long run."

Oden initially injured his wrist during the high school sectional tournament in early March but persevered to help the Wildcats win a third consecutive Class 4A state championship; he totaled 26 points and 11 rebounds in an 80-56 victory over Muncie Central in the March 26 title game.

He then played in two national all-star games, the McDonald's All-American Game on March 29 in San Diego and the Roundball Classic on April 9 in Chicago.

"I've known I had a torn ligament since right after the Roundball Classic," Oden said. "After that, it was in a splint for two weeks, and I was hoping that I would be back (for the Indiana All-Star events)."

Another visit to the doctor and follow-up MRI on Tuesday showed the injury had not healed. Oden said he was not given a timetable for when he can return to action.

Despite his inability to play, Oden plans on attending both games against Kentucky and two of the three exhibitions against the Junior All-Stars, including today's tuneup at Forest Park High School. He will not be at Tuesday's exhibition in Valparaiso because he begins summer school at Ohio State on Monday and has a class early Wednesday.

Oden's high school and Ohio State teammate Mike Conley also is enrolled in summer-school classes that begin Monday, but Conley is expected to play in all the All-Star events, game director Pat Aikman said.

A Mr. Basketball's absence from All-Star action because of injury is not unprecedented. In 1970, Carmel's David Shepherd missed the opener at Louisville with a knee injury. He shot just two free throws (making both) in Week 2 in Indianapolis.

"Everyone was looking forward to playing with Greg, but they're more disappointed for Greg than they are to not play with him," All-Star coach Chris Benedict of Columbia City said of the team's reaction to the news. "It's an unfortunate situation that he can't control. He's a good, humble kid."

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I wonder if the staff @ Ohio State had a say in this decision?

beast23
06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
BTW... I will repeat what I've already said... He should not be playing college ball at all. It's stupid. Let the legend grow while he works out at home. He has EVERYTHING to lose by playing college ball and nothing to gain. Technically, a year of college ball might get him more ready for the NBA BUT when you are a projected number 1 pick, that doesn't matter.-Bball
I stated that right after the initial news that the eligibility rule would be changed. If I were Oden, I'd be going to Maine Institute, Hampton Prep or one of the other college prep / basketball schools for a single year.

No matter how well he does at OSU, the best he can be next year or even in 4 years is the #1 pick in the draft. And it's not like he can negotiate anything, the pick has a fixed dollar value associated with it.

On the other hand, if he goes to OSU and struggles in his adjustment or, heaven forbid, falls flat, he could cut his rookie salary in half, or in the event of injury, eliminate it altogether.

He needs serious advice on "Risk Analysis". Everything to lose; nothing to gain.

Robertmto
06-15-2006, 01:33 AM
No matter how well he does at OSU, the best he can be next year or even in 4 years is the #1 pick in the draft. And it's not like he can negotiate anything, the pick has a fixed dollar value associated with it.

On the other hand, if he goes to OSU and struggles in his adjustment or, heaven forbid, falls flat, he could cut his rookie salary in half, or in the event of injury, eliminate it altogether.

He needs serious advice on "Risk Analysis". Everything to lose; nothing to gain.

Kinda like Matt Leinart

BoomBaby31
06-15-2006, 02:53 AM
I believe it is probably related to a wrist injury.

BTW... I will repeat what I've already said... He should not be playing college ball at all. It's stupid. Let the legend grow while he works out at home. He has EVERYTHING to lose by playing college ball and nothing to gain. Technically, a year of college ball might get him more ready for the NBA BUT when you are a projected number 1 pick, that doesn't matter.

Of course you can get injured outside of college ball, as this injury should attest, but the odds aren't going to improve by going to college. Even if he doesn't get injured in college he risks having his stock decline and someone else's rise as he showcases his game against more proven players.

If anything, he should be mounting a legal challenge to the NBA's rule requiring a year after HS.

-Bball

You have to remember that NBA is a business. They do this because, you don't know how good players are right out of highschool. It's bad for Oden but, good for the game. How would you like it if you owned a team and kept purchasing million dollar injury prone players. If he can't make it through 1 year of College Basketball then he shouldn't be feeling up space in the NBA. Put lebron on ANY NCAA team and they are an INSTANT title contender one year of college ball wouldn't do anything except sore his stock you'd have teams trading top players to get to the #1.

Bball
06-15-2006, 03:03 AM
You have to remember that NBA is a business. They do this because, you don't know how good players are right out of highschool. It's bad for Oden but, good for the game.

I totally agree... from the NBA's (and fans of the NBA) standpoint it is a good rule because GM's and owners get bamboozled by potential too often. They can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar.

OTOH... If I was Greg Oden I'd be challenging that rule at every turn and no way would I be heading off to a Div I college program. He's the number 1 pick... He can only lose that. For him, going off to play at OSU (or anywhere U) is S T U P I D IMHO. Someone is giving him some bad advice or he's not listening to people he should be listening to.

-Bball

Eindar
06-15-2006, 03:24 AM
I think part of the problem is that he's got a lot of talent in his class. If he decides not to play ball this year, someone might step up their game, lead their team to an NCAA championship as a freshman, and take that #1 away from him.

However, I do think it would be smarter to sign with a D-League team, that way you're making money, can sign endorsement deals, can focus completely on basketball, and are playing against grown men.

Since86
06-15-2006, 09:55 AM
He's always said he wanted to go to college.

I think you guys should let the kid make his own decisions, especially one that he's wanted to make for years now, instead of second guessing him.

He's pubicly stated that he was going to go to college even if there wasn't an age rule. He wants the life experiences, and the schooling, that go along with it.

It's a double-edge sword, but it's his decision alone.

317Kim
06-15-2006, 10:01 AM
He and Mike want to go to Ohio State for all four years. As for the injury, he keeps saying he's "fine". The quote:
I'm fine Kim, you know me...

Chauncey
06-15-2006, 01:17 PM
He strained some tendons just before/during sectional play and decided to play through the pain to make sure his team won state.

FrenchConnection
06-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I hope as an IU fan that he doesn't go to Ohio State for four years. For the first time in my life as a sports fan, I hope that the player goes for the big payday instead of playing for the pure joy of the game.