PDA

View Full Version : Tinsley/Davis

easyv_25
06-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Other than that JO/Tor rumor, we have the Tinsley for Ricky Davis rumor. I think that Davis is a good player, but another thuggish head-case. We don't need another one of those on this team dag namit!!! The only good coming out of this is that we get a healthy pg for an injury prone pg. RDavis has been with like 3-4 teams of so in the past 4-5 years it seems like, so you know teams don't want to keep him. The only reason I wouldn't care if he were in a Pacers uniform is if he doesn't cost that much.---Anyone know his salary? I am also %100 percent on the Pacers going after FA Jason Terry, but after what he's done for them this year, it would be stupid of them to let him go. Any thoughts???

D-BONE
06-14-2006, 07:50 AM
My understanding is that Terry is way out of our financial ballpark regardless. I'd certainly love to have him of course.

Assuming something better doesn't crop up on the JT trade tip, I think I'd do the RD move. It was mentioned in another thread that he'd be a tradeable commodity after next year in the event things didn't work out.

Plus he does address our deficiencies in slashing and scoring of the dribble, as well as overall athleticism. This may be wrong, but I've been under the impression that his last season or so in Boston and then in Minny that Ricky has improved a lot on his previous hothead tendencies.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Other than that JO/Tor rumor, we have the Tinsley for Ricky Davis rumor. I think that Davis is a good player, but another thuggish head-case. We don't need another one of those on this team dag namit!!! The only good coming out of this is that we get a healthy pg for an injury prone pg. RDavis has been with like 3-4 teams of so in the past 4-5 years it seems like, so you know teams don't want to keep him. The only reason I wouldn't care if he were in a Pacers uniform is if he doesn't cost that much.---Anyone know his salary?

Ricky Davis isn't a point guard, he's more of a 2/3 wingman type. And as for his salary i know he made 5+ mill this year, but don't know abotu his future salary.

beast23
06-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Davis has only 2 years left on his contract, whereas Tinsley has 5 years. Davis is paid slightly more, but I believe a 1-for-1 trade would be permissable.

Davis is much more productive, and yes he is primarily a SG/SF.

I also believe he is a problem child, but I doubt there is any better player that could potentially be offered in a 1-for-1 for Tinsley.

Most players are on fairly good behavior with a new team. So, for me, even if Davis would begin to cause problems late in the next season or even in the following season, we would have a productive player and his short-term contract to trade rather than proceeding with the risk of Tinsley's health and his albatross of a 5-year contract.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I just ran it thru RealGm trade checker and a 1 for 1 trade does not work, Davis makes roughly 2 million more than Tinsley.

Now my :twocents:

I would only like to see Davis here if we could give them Jack in return somehow. 2 players that are hardheaded on the same team is trouble waiting to happen.

beast23
06-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I just ran it thru RealGm trade checker and a 1 for 1 trade does not work, Davis makes roughly 2 million more than Tinsley.

Now my :twocents:

I would only like to see Davis here if we could give them Jack in return somehow. 2 players that are hardheaded on the same team is trouble waiting to happen.Don't use RealGM because Tinsley is currently BYC. Following the removal of his BYC status, the trade will work.

2005-2006 Salaries Tinsley 5.4M vs. Davis 5.9M
2006-2007 5.85M vs. 6.36M
2007-2008 6.3M vs. 6.8M

grace
06-14-2006, 11:48 AM
If TPTB want me back as a Pacers fan they absolutely, positively, cannot get Ricky Davis. If it happens I'll have to race Kegboy to the roof.

:suicide3:

Shade
06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't like this trade, but it's not horrible. However, it means that Jack would have to be dealt. The two of them on the same team WOULD be horrible.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Don't use RealGM because Tinsley is currently BYC. Following the removal of his BYC status, the trade will work.

2005-2006 Salaries Tinsley 5.4M vs. Davis 5.9M
2006-2007 5.85M vs. 6.36M
2007-2008 6.3M vs. 6.8M

where do you get your salary info from? I can never find a site

Shade
06-14-2006, 02:59 PM
where do you get your salary info from? I can never find a site

ESPN's Trade Machine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine) is the best I've found. It's about time ESPN was good for something.

Gamble
06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't be oppose to trading Tinsley for him and drafting a pg but
trading Jax for him is not as appealing. Jax could go with Foster or
Austin C. for a productive big man.

Shade
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't be oppose to trading Tinsley for him and drafting a pg but
trading Jax for him is not as appealing. Jax could go with Foster or
Austin C. for a productive big man.

Minny wouldn't take Jack straight up for Davis. It's lateral AT BEST for them.

And, yes, I wouldn't mind the Tinsley-for-Davis and then Jack-and-Jeff package for a big man. That would be ideal, IMO.

beast23
06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
ESPN's Trade Machine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine) is the best I've found. It's about time ESPN was good for something.
Or www.hoopshype.com (http://www.hoopshype.com/)

HoopsHype has many different features, including salaries, draft informaton and a depth chart (accurate or not) for each team.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Thx Beast and Shade

Lord Helmet
06-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Do not get Ricky Davis, I'd rather Tinsley not be traded at all if all we can get is Ricky "The Broom" Davis.

SoupIsGood
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Please God, no Ricky Davis.

Kegboy
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh, come on. He's a triple-double waiting to happen.

:rimshot:

beast23
06-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I think Davis could easily be humbled here by playing him BEHIND AJ, if necessary.

Personally, I don't really see how ANYONE could be any worse for our roster than Tinsley. He is one of the resident knuckleheads and is a sulking problem child... ant that's when he's healthy.

Look at it this way. If Davis causes problems, we tuck him on the inactive list for 2 years and then we're done with him, assuming we can't trade him. If Tinsley causes problems, what the hell are we going to do... tuck him on the inactive list for FIVE years?

We absolutely have to get rid of Tinsley. I say the trade should be conducted a lot like Ron's... get the best we can for him. And if that's Davis , so be it.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I think Davis could easily be humbled here by playing him BEHIND AJ, if necessary.

Personally, I don't really see how ANYONE could be any worse for our roster than Tinsley. He is one of the resident knuckleheads and is a sulking problem child... ant that's when he's healthy.

Look at it this way. If Davis causes problems, we tuck him on the inactive list for 2 years and then we're done with him, assuming we can't trade him. If Tinsley causes problems, what the hell are we going to do... tuck him on the inactive list for FIVE years?

We absolutely have to get rid of Tinsley. I say the trade should be conducted a lot like Ron's... get the best we can for him. And if that's Davis , so be it.

Why would he play behind AJ? He's barely a 2 guard, let alone a PG.

Shade
06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Why would he play behind AJ? He's barely a 2 guard, let alone a PG.

Yeah, I don't know where people are getting that from. RD is a SG, not a PG. If we do this trade, Jack is obviously out the door.

Jumper
06-14-2006, 10:31 PM
If I remember correctly Ricky was doing fine in Boston, even came off of the bench for a year and was dubbed instant O for the team. I would go for this trade if it was followed by a trade of Jack and Foster or Jack and Cro for a good big man.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I don't know where people are getting that from. RD is a SG, not a PG. If we do this trade, Jack is obviously out the door.

I would even say he is a SF. If this deal happened either Jax or Peja is definitely gone.

Shade
06-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I would even say he is a SF. If this deal happened either Jax or Peja is definitely gone.

Honestly, he's just a slightly upgraded Jack. He's not my first choice, but I'd rather have him over Jack right now. He's more consistent.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Honestly, he's just a slightly upgraded Jack. He's not my first choice, but I'd rather have him over Jack right now. He's more consistent.

uprgrade = improvement

Young
06-14-2006, 11:33 PM
What type of passer is Ricky? I never thought he was much of one, but I was looking at his player profile and noticed that he averaged 5 assists last year.

microwave_oven
06-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Ricky isn't a spectacular passer, but he is very solid. A large upgrade from Jackson in that department, for the simple fact that Ricky passes and Jack doesn't. Also Ricky is getting a bad rap on this board, for good reason...he used to be a downright jerk, but to the dismay of many of you, he has matured considerably. I wouldn't put him in the "leader" category for an NBA team, but I would certainly like to see him on this team. He is a large upgrade over Jax, especially in the attitude department. Not to mention he listens to his coaches and is one of the better slashing talents in the NBA.

If this trade included the swap of draft picks, then we could easily solidify our 1 position by drafting Marcus Williams or another solid pg with the 6th pick. If the pick swap is not included, then you still rid yourself of Tinsley and give flexibility to move Jax with another player (Foster, Croshere) to solidify the frontcourt. Ricky Davis would be a fine pick-up for the Pacers, especially if we rid ourselves of the Tin-man. (If he only had a heart)

Shade
06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Ricky isn't a spectacular passer, but he is very solid. A large upgrade from Jackson in that department, for the simple fact that Ricky passes and Jack doesn't. Also Ricky is getting a bad rap on this board, for good reason...he used to be a downright jerk, but to the dismay of many of you, he has matured considerably. I wouldn't put him in the "leader" category for an NBA team, but I would certainly like to see him on this team. He is a large upgrade over Jax, especially in the attitude department. Not to mention he listens to his coaches and is one of the better slashing talents in the NBA.

If this trade included the swap of draft picks, then we could easily solidify our 1 position by drafting Marcus Williams or another solid pg with the 6th pick. If the pick swap is not included, then you still rid yourself of Tinsley and give flexibility to move Jax with another player (Foster, Croshere) to solidify the frontcourt. Ricky Davis would be a fine pick-up for the Pacers, especially if we rid ourselves of the Tin-man. (If he only had a heart)

Though I'm not a big Ricky fan, I agree.

indytoad
06-15-2006, 12:13 AM
For some reason I kept thinking everyone was talking about Baron Davis, and I was like "SF? Are you nuts?"

Ah, but I digress. Why in the world does Minnesota do this? Tinsley is utterly useless.

IndyToad
The future in action

pizza guy
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
I have never liked Ricky Davis. He's always been a problem-child, and that's not what Indiana needs. If however, microwave_oven is right about Davis maturing, I wouldn't mind it as much. I don't watch Minny very often, so, it's hard for me to judge that aspect. But I do know the rap that he's earned, and I do know that JO isn't as intimidating of a presence as KG...

It leaves some questions to be answered, and I don't think that's what this team needs. His game is good - he can get to the rim consistently and that's something I've been wanting from a Pacer player for a while now (and not Freddie Jones).

I will say this though, if we can trade Tinsley for anything that is worth anything, we should do it. It would mean SJax would be out the door, and that would make me very happy.

BlueNGold
06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
if we can trade Tinsley for anything that is worth anything, we should do it

Yes, the Pacers should pull the trigger on this. Tinsley will pout if he does not start...and if he is our starter, he will go down with an injury and destroy the team's consistency. We just cannot rely on him.

Ricky is about equal to Jackson in talent and is over a year younger...and although he was a complete idiot, I have heard he has matured. He has a solid midrange stroke and is more consistent offensively than Jax. Also, he will not try to take 3pt attempts from good shooters like Peja and Cro.

Most important are Ricky's much better assist numbers. He is not a black hole like Jax and may help create better ball movement and help his teammates. If he is decent defensively and would not mind coming off the bench, it would be even better.

Yes, if we make this move, it is a crystal clear sign that Jax will be moved this summer.

Steve McQueen
06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I'd have to think about this one. If Tinsley could ever stay healthy, I'd be a definite no. But he can't, while Ricky Davis has averaged 80 games a season over the past 5 years, Ricky's one of the better slashers in the NBA, but his shot is mediocre at best. He's also a turnover machine.
If it were to happen, I wouldn't complain. If it doesn't happen, I wont complain either.

Young
06-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Most important are Ricky's much better assist numbers. He is not a black hole like Jax and may help create better ball movement and help his teammates. If he is decent defensively and would not mind coming off the bench, it would be even better.

I was thinking that Davis is a willing 6th man. Wasn't he the 6th man in Boston?

Jon Theodore
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
anyone who wouldnt do davis for tins is retarded.