PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

Young
06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I was talking with one of my friends today about the NBA game. How the rules have changed to increase scoring and such. But we were talking of another way to increase scoring.

How about this, take away the 3 point shot and the dunk in the NBA.

Why you ask? People love the dunk and the 3s. But the thing is, very few players have an inbetween game and even if they do, they usually either try and hit a 3 or they dunk.

Let me give an example of how this would increase scoring.

It was like in college in the 60s or 70s, Kareem Abdual-Jabbar was the reasoning they banned the dunk for some time because the NCAA was afraid KAJ was going to dominate the college game to much if he could dunk. So what did KAJ, he developed a shot that is almost impossiable to block, the sky hook. Can you imagne if some of these big men today had a sky hook?

Then now we see with Dirk Nowitzki, under Avery Johnson he shoots fewer 3 pointers and therefore he is not only harder to guard, but the Dallas Mavericks are harder to guard as a team.

It's hard to imagne basketball without the dunk and 3 point shot. But I for one wouldn't mind seeing it played without those two things. I think it would be very interesting. Of course it will never happen, but that's not really the point.

bulldog
06-13-2006, 10:43 PM
It's called the WNBA. And it sucks.

Anthem
06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
That's a good idea. Another good idea would be if we jump the ball after every basket.

Or has that been tried before?

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 10:51 PM

:laugh:

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:13 PM

:lmao:

Young
06-13-2006, 11:49 PM

And there are people who would argue that the NBA sucks until maybe this year, what's your point????

bulldog
06-14-2006, 12:12 AM
And there are people who would argue that the NBA sucks until maybe this year, what's your point????

1) I believe most fans consider this a rennaissance year for the NBA, very fun to watch.

2) The three and the dunk are the most marketable aspects of basketball as a game precisely because they are the most popular.

3) WNBA players can't dunk, and their three isn't very long. Watch sometime. The majority of people don't find it very interesting to watch, as you can see by their ratings.

I think I have three very good points. Sorry to be so glib originally, but this is a message board.

edit: You mentioned #1, sorry. But you can't just skip over it, why mess with a good thing?

Young
06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
1) I believe most fans consider this a rennaissance year for the NBA, very fun to watch.

2) The three and the dunk are the most marketable aspects of basketball as a game precisely because they are the most popular.

3) WNBA players can't dunk, and their three isn't very long. Watch sometime. The majority of people don't find it very interesting to watch, as you can see by their ratings.

I think I have three very good points. Sorry to be so glib originally, but this is a message board.

edit: You mentioned #1, sorry. But you can't just skip over it, why mess with a good thing?

Oh I understand that pretty much all the fans would not like it because they like dunks and 3s, and I don't mind them.

I just mainly brought this up for discussion. Just wondering how players would develope their games if these rules were put into place. I just think it would be interesting to see how players/teams would play a few years after the rules were put into place. Would I really want to see the 3 and dunk banned for any period of time? Not really, but I do think it would be interesting to see how the game would be played.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Oh I understand that pretty much all the fans would not like it because they like dunks and 3s, and I don't mind them.

I just mainly brought this up for discussion. Just wondering how players would develope their games if these rules were put into place. I just think it would be interesting to see how players/teams would play a few years after the rules were put into place. Would I really want to see the 3 and dunk banned for any period of time? Not really, but I do think it would be interesting to see how the game would be played.

They'd develop into soccer players.

Tim
06-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I was talking with one of my friends today about the NBA game. How the rules have changed to increase scoring and such. But we were talking of another way to increase scoring.

How about this, take away the 3 point shot and the dunk in the NBA.

Why you ask? People love the dunk and the 3s. But the thing is, very few players have an inbetween game and even if they do, they usually either try and hit a 3 or they dunk.

Let me give an example of how this would increase scoring.

It was like in college in the 60s or 70s, Kareem Abdual-Jabbar was the reasoning they banned the dunk for some time because the NCAA was afraid KAJ was going to dominate the college game to much if he could dunk. So what did KAJ, he developed a shot that is almost impossiable to block, the sky hook. Can you imagne if some of these big men today had a sky hook?

Then now we see with Dirk Nowitzki, under Avery Johnson he shoots fewer 3 pointers and therefore he is not only harder to guard, but the Dallas Mavericks are harder to guard as a team.

It's hard to imagne basketball without the dunk and 3 point shot. But I for one wouldn't mind seeing it played without those two things. I think it would be very interesting. Of course it will never happen, but that's not really the point.

I don't think this would work with the casual fan. It would be like taking away the ability to have a high speed car wreck in racing, or turning full contact tackle football into touch football.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2006, 07:13 PM
I like the variation where a dunk shot becomes a 1-point shot. A layup is still a 2-pointer.

I think the current three-point line is way too close. Too many players think they can hit it so they don't take a step or two in and hit the high % shot.