PDA

View Full Version : Raptors say #1 for JO not happening

tdubb03
06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Just a quick blurb, but here it is.

http://www.journaltimesonline.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=6195

06/13: UWM's Tucker will work out for Dallas Mavs

BY GERY WOELFEL

ORLANDO, Fla. – Because of extenuating circumstances, Joah Tucker got off to shaky start at the NBA pre-draft camp last week.
In his first game, Tucker’s team had an extra player and he didn’t get as much playing time. Then, after a morning workout, Tucker was shifted to another team and wound up playing Game 2 shortly thereafter with a new group of players.
But Tucker, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, finished the camp on a high note by scoring 11 points in Game 3. Tucker also fared well in the physical testing portion of the camp, which was held at Disney’s Wide World of Sports. Tucker’s body fat was a mere seven percent and he ranked among the leaders in the bench press, having lifted 185 pounds 20 times.
“I’d have to say a B-,’’ Tucker said when asked what kind of grade he’d give himself for the camp. “I could have done some things better, but I did pretty well. I belonged.
“Overall, it was good experience.’’
Before the pre-draft camp, Tucker had worked out for one team, his hometown Bucks. Now he will work out for the Dallas Mavericks on June 22. Obviously, Tucker wants to hear his name called on draft, which is June 28, but if that doesn’t occur, he’s not adverse to playing overseas.
“I’m optimistic,’’ Tucker said. “I definitely feel like I can play with those guys.’’

Novak gets some advice
Steve Novak isn’t an NBA player just yet, but he sure must feel like one.
The former Marquette University star has been hop-scotching across the United States in recent weeks, and he’ll continue his whirlwind tour of working out for NBA teams next week as well.
The 6-foot-9 Novak, who has spent the last week at the NBA pre-draft camp, will pack his bags and head across country to Seattle and audition for the SuperSonics later this week. Earlier, Novak worked out for seven teams: Milwaukee, Houston, the Los Angles Lakers, the Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix, Memphis and Minnesota.
While Novak is an exceptional shooter and has a high basketball IQ, there are flaws to his game. Some NBA officials have told him about things he needs to improve, like taking advantage of his height and developing more of a post-up game. And they have told him it’s imperative he gains more strength.
At the pre-draft camp, Novak bench-pressed 185 pounds just five times. That raised red flags with some NBA officials, who wonder whether Novak has sufficient strength to compete against NBA power forwards.
“I agree; I definitely have to get stronger,’’ Novak said. “That’s something I’ll continue to work on.’’

Tough times for Southall
Mike Southall, who is from West Salem, Wis., and played last season at Louisiana-Lafayette, had a frustrating camp. After playing decently in the first game, the 6-10 Southall became extremely sick and had to miss the second game. He attempted to play in the third game before getting sick again.
Southall isn’t likely to be drafted, although a couple of teams consider him to be a late second-round pick.

Confident campers
The truly good players have an air of confidence about them. North Carolina State power forward Cedric Simmons and Villanova guard Randy Foye, who are expected to be upper-first round picks, have that confidence. To wit: “I like to take it to the basket and finish like D-Wade,’’ Foye said of ex-Marquette University and current Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade. “And I’m bit like Chauncey (Billups), too.’’ Said Simmons, describing his game: “I’m a mixture of Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.’’

Bucks’ workout list grows
As noted here recently, the Bucks have a slew of players coming in for workouts in the next two weeks. Here’s another name to add to the list: Gabriel Colon. A 6-foot-7 forward, Colon didn’t attend the pre-draft camp because he’s playing in the playoffs in Puerto Rico. Colon is a fine shooter, but his calling-card is his hard-nosed, tenacious defense.

Leftovers
There has been talk about a trade between Denver and Philadelphia. While the Nuggets wouldn’t mind Allen Iverson, whom the 76ers are entertaining offers for, the 76ers don’t want Kenyon Martin, whom the Nuggets would like to unload. … A Raptors official made it abundantly clear the team wouldn’t surrender its No. 1 overall pick for Indiana forward Jermaine O’Neal. … UConn guard Marcus Williams, who has drawn considerable interest from Boston, Atlanta and Toronto, said he’s tried to pattern his game after John Stockton, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash and Magic Johnson. … In random survey of some NBA officials, Memphis’ John Calipari was considered the college coach most likely to become an NBA coach. … UWM’s Joah Tucker is the latest player with Wisconsin ties to chose Henry Thomas as his agent, the others being Dwyane Wade and Devin Harris, who played at Marquette and Wisconsin, respectively. … Bucks general manager Larry Harris will be attending Games 3 and 4 of the NBA Finals in Miami, accompanying two Bucks’ season-ticket holders who won a contest. Harris is likely to hook up with his father, Del, an assistant coach for the Mavs. …Speaking of the Mavs, they are making their first Finals appearance ever. Abdul Jeelani, who played at UW-Parkside, scored the team’s first-ever points in 1980. Another member of that original Mavs team was Jerome Whitehead, a former Marquette University standout.

Young
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Great......just great. Just what I wanted to here.

Well there is the Bulls....

tdubb03
06-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Here's another link saying the same thing;

http://www.realgm.net/src_wiretap_archives/40908/20060613/raptors_say_they_wont_trade_pick_for_jermaine/

vapacersfan
06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
"We will not be trading Jalen Rose"...............

tdubb03
06-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Remember, Brian Colangelo's in charge in Toronto now. Whole new regime. All the Rose stuff has nothing to do with him.

Or's it Jerry Colangelo? No he's in charge of Team USA.

I think.

Jermaniac
06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Donnie Walsh wouldnt trade JO for that pick anyway. **** what the Raptors think.

tate
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Thats not what Donnie said.

vapacersfan
06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats not what Donnie said.

It doesnt matter exactly the wording, my point still stands.

Its a business. Like poker, no GM is stupid enough to show their hands.

At least no GM except for Isiah Thomas.....

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm...

So it's clear that they think there's no way JO is worth the #1 pick in a bad draft.

And DW said "We will not be looking to trade Jalen Rose" or something like that, leaving him the wiggle room where one can argue afterwards that "well, we were not really LOOKING to trade him, but somebody called with an offer too good to refuse"

tate
06-13-2006, 03:06 PM

I agree with your point, its just I didn't want people that maybe were not around in those days to get the wrong idea and think that he flatout lied, what he said(that they were not actively shopping Jalen)and what you said are 2 different things.

Anthem
06-13-2006, 03:09 PM
DW said "We are not shopping Jalen Rose."

As Jay pointed out in another thread, this probably has more to do with the idea that JO and Bosh are duplicates of each other than that JO isn't worth a #1 pick.

blanket
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
DW said "We are not shopping Jalen Rose."

As Jay pointed out in another thread, this probably has more to do with the idea that JO and Bosh are duplicates of each other than that JO isn't worth a #1 pick.

That, and the max $$$$ they'd have tied up in him.

Can't blame them entirely, but it's not like they'll be getting any top-flight FAs in Toronto any time soon, so trading for talent is still their best avenue -- even if it's not a trade for JO.

grace
06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Great......just great. Just what I wanted to here.

Well there is the Bulls....

Move along. Nothing to see here. :pray:
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
Maybe the Raptors aren't trading their number one pick for JO because the Pacers want more than the crap that is available in the draft. Offer Mo Pete along with the pick and maybe I'll consider it.

Shade
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
:happydanc

Frank Slade
06-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Yes I see VA has his DW decoder ring, as it seems others have not got thiers yet

Take nothing GM's or Front Office Types allegedely say for face value.., I always find it interesting to pay attention to what is not said as well.

The motto is deny everything, leak only what information helps your cause , true or not, and then Spin it like "heck" once a trade goes down.

Where is the standard, "We have not been discussing with Indiana Trading for JO " ? or We have not had conversations with Indiana?
It appears to me there is more to take from what was omitted...

All that was said if you use your secret DW decoder ring... (At this time) We have (tried) to make it abundantly clear to Indiana that we would not (prefer) to Surrender our No 1 overall pick directly for JO.. ( Discussions are still on going).... :eyebrow: Also Be Sure to Drink your OVALTINE !!

FrenchConnection
06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
If this is true, it will be best for all involved but it will make draft day a lot less interesting.
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

Yes I see VA has his DW decoder ring, as it seems others have not got thiers yet

Take nothing GM's or Front Office Types allegedely say for face value.., I always find it interesting to pay attention to what is not said as well.

The motto is deny everything, leak only what information helps your cause , true or not, and then Spin it like "heck" once a trade goes down.

Where is the standard, "We have not been discussing with Indiana Trading for JO " ? or We have not had conversations with Indiana?
It appears to me there is more to take from what was omitted...

All that was said if you use your secret DW decoder ring... (At this time) We have (tried) to make it abundantly clear to Indiana that we would not (prefer) to Surrender our No 1 overall pick directly for JO.. ( Discussions are still on going).... :eyebrow: Also Be Sure to Drink your OVALTINE !!

Actually, in this case he seems to say not they they are not discussing it but rather that they will not do it. That seems as strong as a denial as one could make. That is not to say that there were not discussion on the matter, but I would think that if the trade were to happen at this point, the official, whoever it is, would be a liar.

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 04:04 PM
so no Morrison.. Damn I guess I'll have to trade my avatar :(

jcouts
06-13-2006, 04:09 PM
perhaps he meant that there is no way the Pacers would agree to trade the number one pick for JO.

Frank Slade
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
I believe they hast just released the Photo of the un-named Raptor Official
while in Orlando..he is not commenting any further at this time..

http://www.hnn.navy.mil/archives/020426/Images_042602/Thumbs/Barney.jpg..

Hmm I don't trust 'em,if you ask me.

Roaming Gnome
06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
A Raptors official made it abundantly clear the team wouldn’t surrender its No. 1 overall pick for Indiana forward Jermaine O’Neal.

:thumbsup: Good, maybe someone on the other side is saving Bird from himself. Never trade Big for small, never! Especially at a position that we already have a starter at.

I just hope this is true...No Deal :yes:

Lord Helmet
06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Good, I don't want to trade Jermaine.

microwave_oven
06-13-2006, 04:48 PM
A Raptors official made it abundantly clear the team wouldn’t surrender its No. 1 overall pick for Indiana forward Jermaine O’Neal. …

Well that's a relief...no number one pick, so that means we get Bosh and a swap of next years picks.:devil:

Ron who?
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Donnie Walsh wouldnt trade JO for that pick anyway. **** what the Raptors think.

Jermaine is better than anybody in that ****ing draft... why would we trade him for a rookie who has a very very small chance to be better than JO... i completely agree with Jermaniac

FrenchConnection
06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Jermaine is better than anybody in that ****ing draft... why would we trade him for a rookie who has a very very small chance to be better than JO... i completely agree with Jermaniac

This is the point. I am all for moving on and rebuilding, but not if that means trading a good player for a pick in a draft that will produce no great players. This might go down as the worst draft in the history of league and I would not want to pin the future of the franchise on any player in it.

Bball
06-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Let's look at this from the other angle...
Toronto is not interested in JO in what doesn't seem all that steep of a price. Could that be true?

Regardless of whether we would want to do it or not, does it ring true that Toronto would not?

-Bball

BlueNGold
06-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Toronto is not interested in JO in what doesn't seem all that steep of a price. Could that be true?

Regardless of whether we would want to do it or not, does it ring true that Toronto would not?

-Bball

The only possible reason the Raps would not trade the #1 pick for JO would be that they don't want his contract.

Sollozzo
06-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Yeah, Donnie Walsh said that 4 years ago. A Raptors offical said this about JO.

What's that say about the perception of Jermaine O'Neal around the league if the Raptors won't even trade the number 1 pick in what is largely percieved as a weak draft for him?

Frank Slade
06-13-2006, 06:17 PM

-Bball

Let's not also dismiss the possibility that either Indiana or Toronto perhaps a wants a third dance partner ?...

I also have wondered if Indiana and or Toronto , may have initially kicked the Idea around of JO for the 1st, but then looked more to float this rumor out there, to see what other teams would come a calling , or help drive up other not yet mentioned trade talks that were going on... just a whacky theory..:cool:

Anthem
06-13-2006, 06:39 PM
What's that say about the perception of Jermaine O'Neal around the league if the Raptors won't even trade the number 1 pick in what is largely percieved as a weak draft for him?
Perception around the league is that JO for Charlie and Toronto's #1 is ridiculously one-sided for Toronto, but not a good fit for what the Raptors are trying to do.

Natston
06-13-2006, 07:00 PM

-Bball

I think it speaks volumes that they won't even give up **** to get him... :rimshot:

Raptors say #1 for JO not happening

jcouts
06-13-2006, 07:11 PM
if this trade did go down, it would be for no other reason than to clear cap space...essentially, we are overpaying Jermaine and will be for many years if he stays here...this would be a way of getting rid of that and making cap space to make a run at a free agent in the next year or two

Peck
06-13-2006, 07:17 PM
It would allow player trades in the future if it did go down, having cap space for free agents is irrelevant as we never are able to get free agents to come here that ever have an impact on our team.

Kegboy
06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
we never are able to get free agents to come here that ever have an impact on our team.

When have we tried?

Bball
06-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Didn't we tell Barkley we couldn't make room for him when he entertained coming here?

-Bball

Anthem
06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
When have we tried?
:sarunas:

Pacersfan46
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
This is the point. I am all for moving on and rebuilding, but not if that means trading a good player for a pick in a draft that will produce no great players. This might go down as the worst draft in the history of league and I would not want to pin the future of the franchise on any player in it.

How do you know this already? You sound so certain. Kinda silly.

bulldog
06-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I think it speaks volumes that they won't even give up **** to get him...

It's actually a pretty bad insult.

Apparently, Raptors think Morrison + Charlie V > Jermaine

Los Angeles
06-13-2006, 08:25 PM

No, it means that the raptors don't want to spend $100 million for just one guy.

Kegboy
06-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Perhaps the Raptors know this is a bull**** rumor made up by a tool at ESPN, so they're trying to inflate their position by denying someone they'd never get anyway.

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 11:29 PM

Is that wrong? They also knew that Bosh > JO

Bball
06-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Maybe the Raptors value their frontline players blocking out? Especially at about 20 mil per year.

-Bball

Young
06-14-2006, 12:40 AM

I think there are a lot of factors that go into them picking Morrison/Charlie over JO.

- JO has injury problems.
- Owed a lot of money.
- The Raptors have a post player in Chris Bosh.
- They could have a nice frontcourt of Morrison (or whoever they pick in the draft) along with Charlie and Bosh. If I were a young team like that a few years from contending, i'd take that everytime over having ?/Bosh/JO.

Diesel_81
06-14-2006, 01:32 AM
[quote=rommie]I think there are a lot of factors that go into them picking Morrison/Charlie over JO.

- The Raptors have a post player in Chris Bosh.
quote]

I think thats the biggest reason. Bosh and Jermaine Oneal are kinda similar. both are finesse big men. Bosh would be better off having a true big man who can defend, block shots kind of like what we need for Jermaine Oneal.

tdubb03
06-14-2006, 01:36 AM
I've come up with a beautiful scenario. There's 2, highly unrealistic (that's the only way for it to be beautiful), conditions however.

Trade JO to Chicago for the #2 overall and Ben Gordon. This is the first condition, that Chicago would do that.

Trade Tinsley and our 17 to maybe Seattle at #10 for the pick and maybe Evans or something. Condition 2.

Take Morrison #2 (if he's there, I guess that'd condition 3).
Take Shelden Williams #10.

Starters;
1. Gordon (I know he's more of a 2, but he could handle the point)
2. Jax
3. Morrison
4. Williams
5. Foster/Harrison

------EDIT--------
Man, that's so full of holes. Seattle wouldn't want Tinsley. Then there's the whole stojakovic Situation.