PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick arrested and charged with drunk driving

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 11:35 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=triangle&id=4265345

J.J. Redick Arrested, Charged with DWI Eyewitness News
(06/13/06 - DURHAM) - Eyewitness News has learned that former Duke men's basketball star, J.J. Redick was arrested for driving while impaired early Tuesday morning.

According to the police report obtained by Eyewitness News, the arrest occurred at 1:03 a.m. in the 100-block of McQueen Drive in Durham.

The police report indicates Redick made an illegal U-turn to avoid a license checkpoint.

Redick bonded out of the Durham County Jail around 4 a.m. on a $1000 secured bond.

Redick graduated from Duke University in May and is expected to be drafted into the NBA on June 28th.

He is scheduled to appear in court in Durham on July 17th.

Stay with abc11tv.com and ABC11 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.

-----------------------

In other news, the Trailblazers are now rumored to be very interested in JJ Redick

;)

FrenchConnection
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Sounds like JJ will be doing some community service before the start of training camp. Hope he likes gardening or trash collection on highways. Always niice to spend some time outdoors in the summer.

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
:shakehead

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2482061

J.J. Redick, a likely first-round pick in this month's NBA draft, was arrested for driving while impaired early Tuesday and has was released on $1,000 bond, a Raleigh-Durham, N.C., television station reported.

WTVD, citing a police report, said that Redick was arrested at 1:03 a.m. in Durham, N.C., after the former Duke star made an illegal U-turn to avoid a police checkpoint.

The television station reported that Redick is scheduled to appear in a Durham court on July 17.

The NBA draft is scheduled June 28 in New York City. How an arrest will affect Redick's draft status is unclear, though it may not hurt it, according to ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

"I think that these things hurt anybody's draft status," an Eastern Conference GM, who wanted to remain anonymous, told Katz. "They do in my eyes. I take these things seriously. That's too bad."

Redick had previously pulled out of scheduled workouts with Orlando and Boston this week. Previously, he had worked out for Golden State, Utah, Houston and Seattle.

Among the teams reportedly interested in Redick is Houston, which has the No. 8 pick.

Redick, who won the 2006 Wooden Award as the nation's top college player, shot 47 percent from the field, 42 percent from 3-point range and 85 percent from the free throw line in leading Duke to a 32-4 record. He finished his career with 2,769 points and the record 457 3-pointers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

grace
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
I think this moves him to the top of Portland's wish list.

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
might he fall to #17 now?

:shrug:

P.S. Grace, your joke was told 11 minutes earlier. ;)

Kegboy
06-13-2006, 11:53 AM
:soapbox:

You know what really pisses me off. This is not going to get nearly the play Ben's motorcycle accident is. When you don't wear a helmet, you're only endangering your life; when you drive drunk, you're endangering the lives of others, too.

:loser2:

Bball
06-13-2006, 11:59 AM
So let's assume he fights this. The first prong will be was the U turn really illegal. ASSUMING that is the stated reason for the initial stop (as the report makes it sound) then if that U turn isn't illegal the DUI never comes into play.

-Bball

Since86
06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I thought checkpoints were considered illegal to begin with.

My brother had a DUI charge thrown out because he did the exact same thing, and a week later they were deemed unconstitutional.

I always thought it was at a national level, but maybe it was just at the state level. :shrug:

SoupIsGood
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Idiot.

Jose Slaughter
06-13-2006, 12:47 PM
If he was a milk drinker this never woulda happened!

McClintic Sphere
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
When will the National Guard be sent into Duke University to stem the chaos?

Young
06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
The really sad part is that Reddick isn't the only who does this. He just got caught. What really sucks is that there is probably atleast one player on every team who does this.

Come on Reddick, if you wanna drink that's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But you probably just lost a lot of money because you wanted to drink and then drive.

vapacersfan
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM

My brother had a DUI charge thrown out because he did the exact same thing, and a week later they were deemed unconstitutional.

I always thought it was at a national level, but maybe it was just at the state level. :shrug:

We have them all the time around here......:shrug:
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

The really sad part is that Reddick isn't the only who does this. He just got caught. What really sucks is that there is probably atleast one player on every team who does this.

Come on Reddick, if you wanna drink that's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But you probably just lost a lot of money because you wanted to drink and then drive.

Its not just ballplayers.

There are lots of people that do it.

Its a mistake, and hopefully he can learn from it and not do it again.

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM

I think that SELECTIVE stopping at checkpoints was ruled illegal. Used to be at checkpoints they would waive you past if "you looked OK". Of course the allegation was that if you had the wrong skin color or a "too nice" car, you were singled out and stopped.

I think that it was determined that checkpoints are legal if you stop and scrutinize every single car going past. There may be also requirements that you have checkpoints at a variety of locations, and not just (for example) in a certain ethnic neighborhood, and records must be kept to demonstrate that DWI arrests are spread out among all ethinic backgrounds.

Young
06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
We have them all the time around here......:shrug:
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

Its not just ballplayers.

There are lots of people that do it.

Its a mistake, and hopefully he can learn from it and not do it again.

Yeah I know. Which is even sadder.

Los Angeles
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
:soapbox:

You know what really pisses me off. This is not going to get nearly the play Ben's motorcycle accident is. When you don't wear a helmet, you're only endangering your life; when you drive drunk, you're endangering the lives of others, too.

:loser2:
JJ Reddick did not win the Superbowl. News is only as big as the people in the news.

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 01:33 PM
unsubstantiated rumor here, but...

I've read on other forums that Redick is a known frat party boy and allegedly he has admitted past binge drinking in high school and his freshman and sophmore years. Apparently he also got busted for something his freshman year but charges were dropped.

:twocents:

Since86
06-13-2006, 01:41 PM
He was in a dorm room where they were smokin pot, and they got busted. All of them there said he was only in there to check his email, and didn't participate.

I've heard just the exact opposite, that because of that incident he was very strict and had a rule of only going to one party a year. That story makes sense to me a little more, especially when you factor in his strict workout/eating regimen to lose all that weight.

tdubb03
06-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Maybe he had a cold and took some TUSSIN!

Jermaniac
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Thuging up is what some of you call it right? Or is thugging it up only when you yell at a ref.

vapacersfan
06-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Thuging up is what some of you call it right? Or is thugging it up only when you yell at a ref.

Are you seriously trying to compare throwing (whatever Haslem threw at the ref) to driving drunk.

The only comparison is that they are both stupid.

And I really hope that comment was a sarcastic one, but in case you were serious. Drunk driving is many things, including illegal, but no it is not "thugish"

Putnam
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
might he fall to #17 now?

If he falls to #17, then let him fall to #18, too. We don't want him.

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
When will the National Guard be sent into Duke University to stem the chaos?

I know George Bush should of done something about this. This is all George Bush's fault! Impeach Bush!!!! *Sarcasm*

When he does do something I don't see how it is going to effect the situation.
*More Sarcasm*

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Maybe he had a cold and took some TUSSIN!

Nope.

He can't stay away from those Lacrosse parties.

;)

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 04:21 PM

What???>>?? I hope he falls to 17 and we snatch him up. Then we can unload Jax on someone, JJ is going to be prelevent shooter in the NBA probably a Chris Mullen type and we shouldn't pass on him. This is just child's charges; To get NBA thug stature you need gun possession charges *dogg* lol. Not justifying the situation his ALC level was .11 barely over the legal limit. Indiana's ALC limit use to be .11 until they lowered it. You can spark a .08 by rinsing your mouth out with Listerine. He is stupid though because if he never did that illegal U-Turn (approaching a police check) nothing would of been said. I doubt the Police are going to question him going through the police check anyway he's that towns hero. Again not *Justifying the situation* dude is plain stupid for drinking and driving get a cab son.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-13-2006, 04:23 PM
What???>>?? I hope he falls to 17 and we snatch him up. Then we can unload Jax on someone, JJ is going to be prelevent shooter in the NBA probably a Chris Mullen type and we shouldn't pass on him. This is just child's charges; To get NBA thug stature you need gun possession charges *dogg* lol. Not justifying the situation his ALC level was .11 barely over the legal limit. Indiana's ALC limit use to be .11 until they lowered it. You can spark a .08 by rinsing your mouth out with Listerine. He is stupid though because if he never did that illegal U-Turn (approaching a police check) nothing would of been said. I doubt the Police are going to question him going through the police check anyway he's that towns hero. Again not *Justifying the situation* dude is plain stupid for drinking and driving get a cab son.

Oh you can not get a .08 from Listerine

vapacersfan
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
You can spark a .08 by rinsing your mouth out with Listerine.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You made a funny..

microwave_oven
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Who is we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

---J.J. at 17 would, once again, be a steal.

Bball
06-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Oh you can not get a .08 from Listerine

Unless you just happen to know that it's .06 or .07, rinsing one's mouth out with any mouthwash that contains alcohol (and most do) will easily set off the breathalyzer. It wouldn't surprise me for it to even be much higher than .08 altho the effect will dissipate over a period of time. A breathalyzer doesn't know if the alcohol is in your breath or raw/residual alcohol inside your mouth. It's why most (all?) states require a waiting period before a breathalyzer can be administered.

-Bball

Pacersfan46
06-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Ick, we take JJ Redick and I'll vomit.

I'm sick of this team enough as it is. Another guy I don't like, pure fun. He's going to be Steve Kerr at best in the NBA as far as I'm concerned, and we don't have a Jordan/Pippen, or Robinson/Duncan.

Just what we need anyway, another unathletic guard. SWEET!

grace
06-13-2006, 08:44 PM
At least Steve Kerr has rings.

circlecitysportsfan
06-13-2006, 09:32 PM
No way he falls to 17, because Bird is going to trade granger and JO for the 15th and filler and nab redick. Looks like the Indiana Pacer franchise is in great hands.

Anthem
06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Unless you just happen to know that it's .06 or .07, rinsing one's mouth out with any mouthwash that contains alcohol (and most do) will easily set off the breathalyzer. It wouldn't surprise me for it to even be much higher than .08 altho the effect will dissipate over a period of time. A breathalyzer doesn't know if the alcohol is in your breath or raw/residual alcohol inside your mouth. It's why most (all?) states require a waiting period before a breathalyzer can be administered.
And that's assuming the breathalyser is actually trustworthy, which may be a stretch.

http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2005/10/can_a_judge_for.html

circlecitysportsfan
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
More JJ news

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1341

Putnam
06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Who is we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

---J.J. at 17 would, once again, be a steal.

"We" is me and pacerfan46. Including the mouse, that makes three of us!

Sirius
06-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds like the guy probably got screwed to me. Let's be honest, .08 is a pretty ridiculous limit. All he did was make a U-turn before a checkpoint, which if anything shows that he was cognizant of what was going on at the time. He wasn't driving recklessly, endangering people, or even speeding for God's sake. who knows maybe he was well above .08, but if not, we could be talking 3 drinks here. (just saw the report that it was .11)...does anyone know how many drinks that normally is? I know when I've blown over a .3 before on a friend's breathalizer.

Slick Pinkham
06-14-2006, 01:58 PM

-Bball

It would seem rather far fetched to think that someone has just been freshening up their breath with mouthwash in their car after midnight.

You use the mouthwash just before picking up the girl for dinner at 7. Or in JJ Redick's case, just before picking up the guy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

;)

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the guy probably got screwed to me. Let's be honest, .08 is a pretty ridiculous limit. All he did was make a U-turn before a checkpoint, which if anything shows that he was cognizant of what was going on at the time. He wasn't driving recklessly, endangering people, or even speeding for God's sake. who knows maybe he was well above .08, but if not, we could be talking 3 drinks here. (just saw the report that it was .11)...does anyone know how many drinks that normally is? I know when I've blown over a .3 before on a friend's breathalizer.

From the reports I've heard he made an illegal u-turn.

Since86
06-14-2006, 02:05 PM
I know when I've blown over a .3 before on a friend's breathalizer.

Must of either been broken, or it was in between puking.

At .3 you're body begins to shut down and you pass out. You would have been puking for quite a while, which is the first sign that your BAC level is too high for the body to tolerate.

.35 is considered alcohol poisoning,

Kegboy
06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Now, are all these just semantic arguments on how Reddick can get off, or do you people really believe that he did nothing wrong?

Bball
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
It would seem rather far fetched to think that someone has just been freshening up their breath with mouthwash in their car after midnight.

You use the mouthwash just before picking up the girl for dinner at 7. Or in JJ Redick's case, just before picking up the guy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

;)

I wasn't speaking to JJ's case specifically. Someone mentioned something about mouthwash not registering on a breathalyzer and I corrected them.

-Bball

Now, are all these just semantic arguments on how Reddick can get off, or do you people really believe that he did nothing wrong?

I believe we've only heard part of the story and that one is innocent (in the eyes of justice) until proven guilty.

I can have my own opinion about guilt or innocence tho... and until (or unless) I hear more then I really have no opinion about his guilt.

-Bball

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 02:52 PM
I think he did it.

Slick Pinkham
06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I wasn't speaking to JJ's case specifically. Someone mentioned something about mouthwash not registering on a breathalyzer and I corrected them.

I know exactly what you are saying, and it is theoretically possible for mouthwash to affect a breathalyzer, since many mouthwashes have a lot of alcohol in them,

but it is pretty goofy to expect that anyone in the history of Earth has ever been stopped in the middle of the night for drunk driving and failed the test due to mouthwash.

The alcohol in mouthwash would dissipate in minutes, and I have just never seen evidence that many people lug mouthwash around in their car.

It's right up there with the urban legend of failing a drug test due to eating poppy seed bagels. Sure it's theoretically possible, since poppy seeds and opium have some of the same metabolites in the body after they pass through the liver, but you'd have to eat a hundred bagels to get the same blood levels from poppy seeds in you gut that you would see from the street narcotics injected into your veins, even weeks or months before.

Kegboy
06-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I believe we've only heard part of the story and that one is innocent (in the eyes of justice) until proven guilty.

I can have my own opinion about guilt or innocence tho... and until (or unless) I hear more then I really have no opinion about his guilt.

-Bball

I don't think one apologizes to his family and fans for making a U-turn.

Bball
06-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't think one apologizes to his family and fans for making a U-turn.

That's the first I've heard of that. I've just been scanning this thread. I'm not actively following this episode any more than that.

-Bball

I know exactly what you are saying, and it is theoretically possible for mouthwash to affect a breathalyzer, since many mouthwashes have a lot of alcohol in them,

but it is pretty goofy to expect that anyone in the history of Earth has ever been stopped in the middle of the night for drunk driving and failed the test due to mouthwash.

The alcohol in mouthwash would dissipate in minutes, and I have just never seen evidence that many people lug mouthwash around in their car.

I would assume it has in fact happened and I don't think it's all that outrageous to think that someone would carry mouthwash. Rare... maybe... Outrageous... no. And many 'breathmints' also have alcohol in them.

And we're really dealing with a very small amount that the breathalyzer is registering.

Let's say you had one drink and then 'to be safe' (don't want to have beer on your breath) used a breath freshener of some kind. Then you are stopped almost immediately at a roadblock or pulled over for driving at 3AM (pulled over for something that would never get you pulled over a 3PM). And you willingly admit to the one drink but that just gives the officer probable cause to believe you've been drinking even more (afterall, it's 3AM... he saw you leave the bar... you smell like cig smoke... etc). So you take the PBT and blow pretty high due to the breath freshener. So he hauls you to the station and does some quick math with his watch and 20 mins from the initial stop to right then he has you blowing in the breathalyzer.

Are you really that confident you're now going to pass that breathalyzer? Are you sure that 'raw' alcohol from the mouthwash (or mint) has dissipated? There's none trapped in dental work or between your teeth? Personally, I'd be pretty worried. Maybe it's an unjustified fear but I wouldn't feel very good about then.

Not that this has anything to do with JJ's case.
-Bball

Arcadian
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
"WHO WOULD HAVE BELIEVED IT POSSIBLE? LIBERACE! KILLED BY WATERMELONS!"

Slick Pinkham
06-14-2006, 04:30 PM
OK, I'm wrong.

:blush:

A google search and a little research, and it turns out that maybe breathalyzers are prone to vast inacuracies.

An example:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1552495.html?menu=news.quirkies

Sucking a Fishermen's Friend could get you into trouble

Police in Germany are warning motorists that sucking a Fishermen's Friend (menthol cough supressant) could get them into trouble.

It comes after a 24-year-old driver was found to be over the legal drink-drive limit during a routine control in Munich.

He was taken to the police station where blood tests found he had no alcohol in his system.

The man was released after officers found the strongest thing he had taken was a Fisherman's Friend.

Forensic doctor Thomas Gilg said the essential oils contained in the throat sweets reacted in the same way as alcohol on hand-held breathalysers.

He said in tests they found just three of the mentholated sweets could cause a motorist to test three times over the legal limit.

Robertmto
06-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Sucking a Fishermen's Friend could get you into trouble.

:lolchair: :laugh: :rotflmao:

Gyron
06-14-2006, 05:15 PM
JJ did come out and apologize today in the news. So I guess that confirms it was not Mouthwash....

Edit: unless he regularly washes, and swallows with liqour......

Sirius
06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
The apology is probably more PR than anything else. As for that .3 situation...I was indeed blackout drunk, nowhere near in shape to drive (so obviously I didnt). I'm not here condoning dui's, but how many people drive around just fine with .1 bac's. The guy almost certainly would have arrived back home with no incident if this hadn't occurred. As for the Roethlisberger comparison...I see it as a guy just trying to get home quietly after having a few drinks and likely posing no danger to anyone vs. another guy blatantly endangering himself, more or less in order to project a certain "cool/daredevil/hardass" image to the world.

Kegboy
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Do you people really think that some nimrod just pulled .11 or .08 out of their *** for no good reason? No, scientific studies were done that showed that drivers' motor skills and reaction time were significantly impaired. If he knew well enough to suspect trouble at the checkpoint, he should have damn well known enough to call a cab.

:mad:

larry
06-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I drove into a seatbelt checkpoint recently. It was just a county checkpoint. I don't know if the city police can do that, but the county sheriffs sure can.

JJ must have been hanging out w/ Tom Coverdale

Bball
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Do you people really think that some nimrod just pulled .11 or .08 out of their *** for no good reason? No, scientific studies were done that showed that drivers' motor skills and reaction time were significantly impaired.

I suppose it is a matter of semantics but I don't think .08 would qualify as "significantly" impaired. "Impaired" yes... and that is all that matters. The law has been moving toward a zero tolerance policy and .08 is simply one step closer to that goal. I believe it is a compromise number and not necessarily a number bearing on any scientific study that makes .08 the number. It is simply less than .10 and more than .04, and where the current mood of lawmakers was willing to place the 'legal limit' when it was last up for debate.

When you say "'significantly' impaired" I picture the drunk staggering down the sidewalk. The slurred speech... etc... But I don't picture that as the impairment that would be observed at .08. I'm pretty sure studies bear that out.

I mention this because I think people don't always realize where the lines are. I don't think the public was served well when in the past .10 was talked about as the legal limit and then we'd see people in PSA's who'd register MUCH higher as the example. More recent PSA's talking about "Buzzed driving is Impaired Driving" are much more informative.

If he knew well enough to suspect trouble at the checkpoint, he should have damn well known enough to call a cab.

And I agree with that.

-Bball

vapacersfan
06-15-2006, 12:26 PM

It's right up there with the urban legend of failing a drug test due to eating poppy seed bagels. Sure it's theoretically possible, since poppy seeds and opium have some of the same metabolites in the body after they pass through the liver, but you'd have to eat a hundred bagels to get the same blood levels from poppy seeds in you gut that you would see from the street narcotics injected into your veins, even weeks or months before.

Not to mention most police officers dont go soly off of the breathalizer, and most do make you wait a certain period of time before you take it for that very reason.

That's the first I've heard of that. I've just been scanning this thread. I'm not actively following this episode any more than that.

-Bball

I would assume it has in fact happened and I don't think it's all that outrageous to think that someone would carry mouthwash. Rare... maybe... Outrageous... no. And many 'breathmints' also have alcohol in them.

And we're really dealing with a very small amount that the breathalyzer is registering.

Let's say you had one drink and then 'to be safe' (don't want to have beer on your breath) used a breath freshener of some kind. Then you are stopped almost immediately at a roadblock or pulled over for driving at 3AM (pulled over for something that would never get you pulled over a 3PM). And you willingly admit to the one drink but that just gives the officer probable cause to believe you've been drinking even more (afterall, it's 3AM... he saw you leave the bar... you smell like cig smoke... etc). So you take the PBT and blow pretty high due to the breath freshener. So he hauls you to the station and does some quick math with his watch and 20 mins from the initial stop to right then he has you blowing in the breathalyzer.

Are you really that confident you're now going to pass that breathalyzer? Are you sure that 'raw' alcohol from the mouthwash (or mint) has dissipated? There's none trapped in dental work or between your teeth? Personally, I'd be pretty worried. Maybe it's an unjustified fear but I wouldn't feel very good about then.

Not that this has anything to do with JJ's case.
-Bball

Can it happen? sure

Does it happen often? I doubt it

I have a friend that claims he had a beer or two (he isnt a big drinker, but he did admit to being out at a bar after a Tech football game) and he got pulled over.

To make a long story short, he failed all of the field sobriety tests and he was administered a breathalizer test. I do not know what he blew, but it was not anything bad at all. It just showed up as him having a beer. He was taken back to the police station where they did a blood test and he was let go.

Now how in the hell you fail all of the field sobriety tests in beyong me, but like I said most police officers dont go off of one test.

Granted my friend has a greak freaking story for all of his grandkids, JJ not so much....

Since86
06-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Do you people really think that some nimrod just pulled .11 or .08 out of their *** for no good reason? No, scientific studies were done that showed that drivers' motor skills and reaction time were significantly impaired. If he knew well enough to suspect trouble at the checkpoint, he should have damn well known enough to call a cab.

:mad:

Actually, .08 would slightly impair you.

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
For a guy JJ's size, .08 is the equivalent of about 3 beers. I'm not condoning driving after you've drank at all, but knowing he's been a basketball star his whole life, I'm assuming he's done his share of drinking at a party and is probably not going to be seriously endangering anyone's life here. I really don't like the guy and would be devastated if we drafted him, but let's not make him out to be Charles Manson for driving after three beers.

vapacersfan
06-19-2006, 04:48 PM
For a guy JJ's size, .08 is the equivalent of about 3 beers. I'm not condoning driving after you've drank at all, but knowing he's been a basketball star his whole life, I'm assuming he's done his share of drinking at a party and is probably not going to be seriously endangering anyone's life here. I really don't like the guy and would be devastated if we drafted him, but let's not make him out to be Charles Manson for driving after three beers.

:rolleyes:

At the end of the day driving drunk is driving drunk.

It is stupid for you, for me, and for all the other motorists on the road.

3 Beers or two 3 shots, its to much, basketball/NBA star or not.

If you are going to drink get a DD, or have enough intelligence to call a cab.

Kegboy
06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
:rolleyes:

At the end of the day driving drunk is driving drunk.

It is stupid for you, for me, and for all the other motorists on the road.

3 Beers or two 3 shots, its to much, basketball/NBA star or not.

If you are going to drink get a DD, or have enough intelligence to call a cab.

See, that's the thing. I feel the need to reiterate myself. He knew enough to U-turn. He knew he was in trouble. If he'd just pulled up to the checkpoint and gotten pinched, then the argument could be made he didn't realize he was impaired. But he knew he shouldn't have been driving, and he did it anyway.