PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Live from Dallas!

brichard
06-11-2006, 01:21 PM
My wife and I booked a trip to visit our old neighbors, who moved to Dallas last year, and it happens to coincide with the finals. There really seems to be a bit of Mavericks mania. Lots of cars that are soaped with "Go Mavs" and it certainly seems to be dominating local headlines.

This is my first trip to Dallas. I've always been a Cowboy fan (although I have moved my primary allegiance to the local team of the Colts) so I've always wanted to visit. First of all, let me tell you how large this place is. I remember recently hearing how Dallas was the largest market left, and let me tell you I believe it. Dallas and the surrounding areas are huge.

There is a ton of new construction going on around here in the commercial and residential sector as well as new highway projects being added. We went to one of the largest malls I've ever seen yesterday, so I have to think the local economy is thriving.

I'm probably not going to be able to take in a live game while I'm here, but I'll let you know if I do. From what I understand tickets are pretty pricey out here. Ah well, it is off to Medieval Times tonight as my vacation continues!

Unclebuck
06-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Is it hot

pizza guy
06-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

brichard
06-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

Yes, it is extremely hot and dry. Yesterday it was over 100 degrees and I felt like I was walking in a dryer. There also seems to be a constant breeze. Hot dry air, hence the dryer analogy.

I just found out Medieval times is right by the Mavs arena. When it lets out, we will be about one hour from tipoff. So hopefully I'll be able to caputre some of the pre-game atmosphere.

ChicagoJ
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Man, when I've been to Dallas in the summer it was hot AND humid.

For an interesting experience, check out Adair's Saloon.

http://www.adairssaloon.com/index2.htm

Slick Pinkham
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes, it is extremely hot and dry. Yesterday it was over 100 degrees and I felt like I was walking in a dryer. There also seems to be a constant breeze.

Then you have to factor in the "wind chill".

;)

brichard
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Then you have to factor in the "wind chill".

;)

Nice.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as we drove out, but the local media is very, very optimistic of an early victory. Lots of folks on the radio and in the paper thinking this will be a sweep. We shall see!
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

Man, when I've been to Dallas in the summer it was hot AND humid.

For an interesting experience, check out Adair's Saloon.

http://www.adairssaloon.com/index2.htm

Probably won't make it there since I'm with the family, but if we get a chance to have a boys night out, I'll look it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

ChicagoJ
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
:laugh: Just make sure you like both types of music (country AND western.)

Slick Pinkham
06-12-2006, 09:31 PM
:laugh: Just make sure you like both types of music (country AND western.)

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

keep those doggies rollin'

RAW-HIDE!