PDA

View Full Version : Kobe on Best Damn tonight - Pacer shoutout

Shaggy
06-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Did anyone see Kobe on Best Damn tonight? When asked who was the toughest guy he EVER guarded, Kobe answered - not MJ, AI, DWade, Vince, LeBron but ... Reggie Miller.

Nice

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Props to Reggie!

efx
06-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Did he say why? Him and Reggie used to work out together in the offseason IIRC.

Will Galen
06-09-2006, 04:03 AM
They also got in a fight at the end of a game, and their relationship soured. Maybe it's been repaired.

317Kim
06-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Go Reg! :)

Unclebuck
06-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I think Reggie was probably the biggest pain in the butt to guard. All that running, all those screens, all those tactics Reggie used. I mean Michael Jordan just got the ball and did his thing, Reggie put you through 20 seconds of misery and then did his thing.

317Kim
06-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Don't forget that talk Reggie used to put on 'em. He loves being the enemy.

06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I think Reggie was probably the biggest pain in the butt to guard. All that running, all those screens, all those tactics Reggie used. I mean Michael Jordan just got the ball and did his thing, Reggie put you through 20 seconds of misery and then did his thing.

Listen to UB, he knows! Also Reggie was the best in NBA history at it...

Let te me tell u like this. I had to guard a SG player like that on a game some months ago, i watched him on the warmups, he couldnt shoot, he couldnt pass, he couldnt dribble and he was so skinny.. so, after i laughed a bit i then thought like "He is no match for me! I will humiliate him!", i wont brag, but im actually a very good defender to, i thought he didnt had a chanse. The game began and he immediately started running non stop, back and forth, up and down, thru screens, fooling me into screens, i got hit, i got punched, i got scratched, i fell many times, i did many offensive fouls and i remember i couldnt breath chasing him anymore, felt like i had astma... which left him ALWAYS open for a Short Jumper / Layup and it didnt matter that he sucked as a player and on Offense i didnt had the energy at ALL, i missed alot and couldnt be effective. They won and that player finished with 40 points...........

Players that use screens all the time and are built for it like Reggie, thats actually the biggest weapon in Basketball and at same time the most Underrated Tactics a player use and almost nobody uses it... a Player would rather want to dribble like Allen Iverson and crossover their opponents or like Kobe and then Dunk on people. Players like MJ, Kobe who plays this way is what PEOPLE want to see also... what a shame, but for a basketball player its true artistry, an education, even if you dont want to play like Reggie because you will learn how to Guard those guys, especially watching Reggie play... the thing is, players like that is impossible to guard, like i saw in a Movie "It takes a Ninja to beat a Ninja", in basketball: "It takes a Marathon Runner to beat a Marathon Runner".. if you aint a Marathon Runner then the WHOLE team must draw attention to your Opponent, which leaves his teammates open.......

Which makes me sad again, Reggie diserved a damn ring! :(

Doug
06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I can see why Kobe said that. I hate chasing guards through multiple screens. It wears you down so fast. I can only imagine what it feels like when those screens are being set by a Dale Davis. [Shudder] I'd probably curl up in a ball on the sideline and start sobbing.

Of course, Reggie took a beating cutting back and forth across the lane.

Peck
06-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Just adds one more reason to the list of things that I can appreciate about Reggie now that he is gone.

Kobe is a superstar without question & he had no reason to say this at all so it must be what he really felt.

I was truely blessed for 18 years & just did not know it.

rel
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
yay....go reggie

i remember during like on NBA inside stuff, they had a short segment with kobe called 24 seconds or something of that sort where kobe would just say a bunch of stuff about himself in, well, 24 seconds and he said this exact thing. This was awhile back and i'm suprised it hasn't changed.

Lord Helmet
06-09-2006, 01:34 PM
They also got in a fight at the end of a game, and their relationship soured. Maybe it's been repaired.
Actually I remember going to the next game that LA played at Conseco after the fight. I remember them hugging before and after the game.

But, man, do I miss Reggie.

Damnit. :(

NuffSaid
06-09-2006, 02:03 PM
What I find amazing is active players like Kobe are still giving Reggie props even 1 yr removed from his pro career. It shouldn't surprise me. I mean, players like Bill Russel have been retired for years and folks still talk about his greatness. But for a guy many people view as just a post-season clutch shooter, Reggie sure is respected by many - some who are still playing the game and quite a few who have long since walked away.

Pacers#1Fan
06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Reggie is the man.

beast23
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Just adds one more reason to the list of things that I can appreciate about Reggie now that he is gone.

Kobe is a superstar without question & he had no reason to say this at all so it must be what he really felt.

I was truely blessed for 18 years & just did not know it.What do you mean, you didn't know it? You had the whole RAZ group around, and me as well, reminding you constantly that Reggie was a future HOFer. So, I guess the truth is now out... you never listened to a word I had to say. :D

Will Galen
06-10-2006, 05:38 AM
What do you mean, you didn't know it? You had the whole RAZ group around, and me as well, reminding you constantly that Reggie was a future HOFer. So, I guess the truth is now out... you never listened to a word I had to say. :D

Everyone knows Peck only listens to UncleBuck. (giggle)

larry
06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Reggie had his best years when Kobe was young & Reggie abused Kobe at MSA.
All people remember where the Finals & from that point on. Remember the game the year after the Finals, where the Lakers came into Conseco? We where a team under .500 at the time & lost 3/5ths of are starting lineup that made the Finals. I know the Pacers won the game & if memory serves me correct I think we came back from 14 down in the 4th to do so. Anyways, Reggie hit 2 back to back big threes over Kobe late in the 4th. He came down the court after the first 3 saying "Talk now, b-tch! Talk now." He was making his hand do that running your mouth sign language when he said it. I was up close and I am 110% sure that was the exact words. Kobe missed a shot where he shook Reggie. We grabbed the board & Reggie curled off a screen for his second straight 3. He back peddled down the court giving Kobe the middle finger. He was suspended for flipping the bird by the league the next day. That was a win that meant nothing, but it's one of my personal favorites. Cro went nuts in the 4th that game. That was the last time we played The Lakers that year. The following year was the game they fought at the scorer's table. It was the very next game they played and it was a year apart from the last, so yes that was a heated match-up.

There is a true story for all my Pacer/Reggie fans.
They had roasted us in L.A. earlier that year. It was billed as Finals rematch.