PDA

View Full Version : Pacers for a higher pick??

Ron who?
06-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Who do you think we would want to get and who do you think we would trade with to get that higher pick? i was thinking maybe we would try to go for Minesota's # 6 pick

blanket
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
"SportsNation Chad Ford: (4:26 PM ET ) I think the Blazers and the Pacers are two other teams are trying hard to move up into the top of the draft."

This means we are obviously trying to get someone. I wonder who.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11943

Thanks for finding this. Now let the speculation begin!

I don't think we'd trade current contributing players to move up into the lottery only to select a project with potential like Tyrus Thomas or Rudy Gay. I think we'd be looking for someone who could contribute -- and possibly be a starter -- right now.

My first thought is the supposed Bird-clone, Adam Morrison. Although, with Granger and possibly Peja we've already got starting-quality SFs covered.

LaMarcus Aldridge is a good possibility, either playing alongside JO or allowing us to trade JO for backcourt help.

Brandon Roy could step in at SG immediately, so he's a possibility.

Marcus Williams is the only other player projected in the upper lottery that I could see trading up for, as he might be able to step in as our first or second option at PG.

If we have our eyes on moving into the lower lottery, however, then players like JJ Redick, Ronnie Brewer, or perhaps even Shelden Williams might be postential targets. However, I don't think the talent in the lower lottery this year is that much better than that at pick #17, and we'd have to give up too much to move up 5-10 spots without much gain.

So, either trade up into the top 5 or don't bother trading up at all.

blanket
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
"SportsNation Chad Ford: (4:26 PM ET ) I think the Blazers and the Pacers are two other teams are trying hard to move up into the top of the draft."

This means we are obviously trying to get someone. I wonder who.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11943

... and in addition to the question of which player we might be after, these questions also must be considered:

1) How far would we have to trade up in order to draft that player? Top 10? Top 5? Top 3?

which begs the next question:

2) Which player or group of players would we likely have to trade in order to move up to that higher draft position? Obviously, the higher we want to go the more/better player(s) we'd have to give up...

tdubb03
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM
I'd give any sort of package they want not including Granger or JO and our pick to Portland for the #4, where we'd take Brandon Roy.

Frank Slade
06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
To speculate Player wise, I could see it being Brandon Roy or Marcus Williams..

Although Morrison is certainly is a player I am sure Bird Covets the most, but I am not sure if the Pacers could or would try and move that high......

Jermaniac
06-08-2006, 06:56 PM
We are going after Brandon Roy thats who it is.

rexnom
06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't see where Morrison fits. I mean, it seems like a match made in heaven with Bird...could you imagine Bird training Morrison one-on-one...yelling at him to be tougher...oh man...regardless, unless it's a Peja sign-and-trade to Toronto or Chicago, I don't see it. Peja or Danny has to go and IMO Danny (with all thing considered) is as good as anyone in this draft so he stays. But whenever I think of this, I think of two things:

1.) Toronto and Chicago both already have cap space...though they might want to save that for other signings.

2.) Bird loves Peja. It seems as if all parties want him to stay.

Given the reports that Morrison has improved his quickness, I think a pairing with Danny might work. Of course, all hypothesizing. We could of course draft Brandon Roy too if we obtained that high of a pick.

Trader Joe
06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
It is hopefully Roy. He makes the most sense. Tremendous slasher, good leader, experienced college player. Step in and start right away and reminds people of Wade. Right now the way the draft is shaping up Minny's pick makes sense.
Assuming this order:
1. Toronto- Bargnani or Aldridge
2. Chicago- Aldridge or Thomas depending on LMA's availibility
3. Charlotte- Gay
4. Portland - Morrison
5. Atlanta- M. Williams
????6. INDIANA- ROY PRAY NOW
Seriously tho ATL, PORT, and CHAR would all look at Roy, but ATL desperately needs a point, PORT would not pass up Morrison, and CHAR LOVES Gay from what I have heard. So get 'er done Donnie.

Unclebuck
06-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Do I dare say this.

Yes I do.

If the Pacers draft another slow footed white guy who can shoot, I might lose it.

beast23
06-08-2006, 07:15 PM
The Pacers have already said that Danny is able to play 2,3 and 4. This past season, Peja played mostly 3 with a little 2 and 4 sprinkled in.

A team can always use a solid player coming off the bench. That could very well mean that the player they select, assuming they move up, could just as easily be a 2 or a 3 as anything else.

So a move up in the draft could be anybody. For a clue, I suppose we would have to watch to see what player is traded for the pick.

But I would agree that if we are not trading up into the top 5-6 picks, then it isn't worth the price of the trade.

SoupIsGood
06-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Could Morrison play at SG? That would be great.

Unclebuck
06-08-2006, 07:26 PM

If the Pacers try to play him there, I'm walking

Robertmto
06-08-2006, 07:29 PM

We had this conversation about Peja and the short answer is NO, neither one of these two players can give significant minutes at the 2.

rexnom
06-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't think I would mind Morrison but I would love Roy here. Sign me up as a believer.

Trader Joe
06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
If Roy is on the board and we move up and take Morrison to play two guard we should be shot. Will he score on other twos? Yeah, but he will get lit up like a christmas tree on the other end. Roy is the most NBA ready player in the draft IMO and has a decent amount of upside. It would not surprise me at all if Roy was rookie of the year next year.

Robertmto
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't think I would mind Morrison but I would love Roy here. Sign me up as a believer.

You would really rather have Roy over Morrison? If Peja is moved to get this new player Morrison is the perfect replacement. And DG gets his chance to play the 2 like alot of ppl here woudl like to see.

rexnom
06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
You would really rather have Roy over Morrison? If Peja is moved to get this new player Morrison is the perfect replacement. And DG gets his chance to play the 2 like alot of ppl here woudl like to see.
I would prefer Roy and DG playing their natural positions. I think Morrison/DG could work, just not as effectively. Now, if we can get that pick i.e. 6th pick, without giving up Peja, DG, or JO and draft Roy, I think we are right back at 50-win status. At least. I mean, you have to like that core...screw rebuilding.

beast23
06-08-2006, 07:42 PM
We had this conversation about Peja and the short answer is NO, neither one of these two players can give significant minutes at the 2.No... that's just your answer. There is at least 1 person on this forum that believes that, assuming the Pacers pick up a PG with even better defensive talents than AJ, that Peja could easily play 15-20 minutes a game at SG.

Trader Joe
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Oh I think Bird is keeping Peja no matter what. Peja is definetely Bird's man crush. Either way Roy and Granger seem to complement each other very well. At the very least Roy solves our huge need of a slashing backcourt player. And he would solve it easily. Plus he is a good leader that kept a Washington University bball team that lost a ton of talent together and made them very competitive.

beast23
06-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Do I dare say this.

Yes I do.

If the Pacers draft another slow footed white guy who can shoot, I might lose it.Hey, careful, dammit!

I happen to really identify well with slow-footed white guys. I identify even better with slow-footed white guys that CANNOT shoot, however.

Edit: Oh, and did I mention that I identify best of all with slow-footed, non-shooting white guys that might be a little overweight and have lost most of their hair.

So, take that, mister.

owl
06-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Some additional info. The Pacers will be working out James White
on June 15th. This is one guy I would love to see on the Pacers.
Pacers moving up to get Shelden Williams :-))) ;-)

http://www.draftexpress.com/workout.php?pid=71

I just have not seen Roy play so I have no feel for his game.

Pacersfan.
06-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Didn't know where to put this, but the Pacers worked out Shannon Brown. I don't follow the college game much, so where do you guys think he'll go?

http://www.klastv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5005573&nav=168a

Edit: I just saw that nbadraft.net has him going to the Pacers.

Ron who?
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I heard Toronto was trying to trade their pick.. im not sure where but i know i read it somewhere. well anyways if we can somehow get the #1 pick....
somebody formulate a trade for Toronto's pick

Ron who?
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
If we're lucky Rodney Carney might give his hand a little tweak and fall down to #17 :D

and if we traded up for Torontos pick we could initiate possibly the most succesful rebuilding program of all time....

Get rid of anyone just keep our pick, Danny, and JO

Jermaniac
06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I think 95% of the people on this site do not watch basketball.

Trader Joe
06-08-2006, 09:58 PM
The only rumored trade I heard for the number 1 pick for us was CV and the #1 for JO.

Frank Slade
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I heard Toronto was trying to trade their pick.. im not sure where but i know i read it somewhere. well anyways if we can somehow get the #1 pick....
somebody formulate a trade for Toronto's pick

You are probably referring to this one...?

An even more aggressive move would be to trade down to the Nos. 10 to 20 range -- the New Orleans Hornets, for example, have the Nos. 12 and 15 picks -- and possible still come out of the draft with the likes of Rajon Rondo, a lightning-quick point guard from of the University of Kentucky.

Things get even more difficult to pin down if you consider packaging the No. 1 pick with the likes of sophomore forward Charlie Villanueva. If Colangelo is serious about speeding up the Raptors' rebuilding process it's a move that could net the team the likes of Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal or Memphis Grizzlies forward Paul Gasol, if on-line rumours are to be believed

L I N K (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060606.RAPTORS06/TPStory/TPSports/Basketball/)

Ron who?
06-09-2006, 01:56 AM
yes i believe thats the one i read

Jose Slaughter
06-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Would Tinsley & Foster be enough to get Atlanta's #5 pick?

The Hawks are way under the cap, light in the middle as well as at the 1.

Will Galen
06-09-2006, 04:07 AM
To speculate Player wise, I could see it being Brandon Roy or Marcus Williams..

That's my thinking exactly.

Trader Joe
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Would Tinsley & Foster be enough to get Atlanta's #5 pick?

The Hawks are way under the cap, light in the middle as well as at the 1.

I have talked with some Hawks fan about their pick and most insist they are staying put and are taking O'Bryant or Marcus Williams.

naptownmenace
06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
My hope is for Marcus Williams. I think he's going to be a beast for opposing points to try and guard. He's also an excellent passer. I think he has ROY potential.

brs14ku
06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
My hope is for Marcus Williams. I think he's going to be a beast for opposing points to try and guard. He's also an excellent passer. I think he has ROY potential.

His attitude reminds me to much of Tinsley I am afraid. I love his skills, but he just scares me because of that comparison.

diamonddave00
06-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I'd not be shocked by a Jamaal Tinsley and pick #17 trade to the T'Wolves for over paid combo guard Marko Jaric and pick #6.

blanket
06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I'd not be shocked by a Jamaal Tinsley and pick #17 trade to the T'Wolves for over paid combo guard Marko Jaric and pick #6.

:nod:

for better or worse

owl
06-09-2006, 12:21 PM

Jaric for Tinsley is a winner trade in and of itself.

Who would the Pacers want at 6?

indygeezer
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
This guy sounds like a Donnie dream come true..........

Strengths: Talented lead guard ... Has persevered through a rough upbringing (losing both parents young) and shows great hunger and toughness because of it ... Excellent one on one player ... Has a bag of tricks offensively with crossovers and AND1 type moves ... Uses change of direction well to get his defenders off balance ... Plays well in an open court game with great speed and body control ... Handles the ball effortlessly ... Strong finisher capable of taking the ball all the way to the rack in traffic ... Very strong body able to physically overpower opponents ... Picture perfect high release and high arc on his shot ... Hard worker, his outside shot has shown steady improvement ... Capable of big time scoring outbursts ... Adept at shooting with just an inch of daylight ...Strong defender, very aggressive looking for steals on the ball and on passes ... Great leadership ability ... Excellent maturity ... Has excellent size/strength for the point guard position ... Quality free throw shooter ...

Weaknesses: Some consider him more of a combo than a true point guard ... Isn't a natural at setting the table and running the show as a point guard but has shown improvement in that area ... With Lowry playing the point, some of his deficiencies are covered up ... His passing ability is decent, but not great for a point guard ... Can be too aggressive at times offensively forcing bad shots ... Aggressiveness defensively can lead to foul problems, he can also get caught gambling for steals ...

6'3 PG Randy Foye http://www.nbadraft.net/

3 yrs college experience to boot. (projected to Boston at #7)

blanket
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM

dd00 -

Any idea which player(s) Pacers mgmt are targeting in their efforts to move up?

FrenchConnection
06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I have talked with some Hawks fan about their pick and most insist they are staying put and are taking O'Bryant or Marcus Williams.

But the fans don't make that decision.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM

I heard this rumor that fans don't make decisions like that.

Trader Joe
06-09-2006, 09:34 PM
But the fans don't make that decision.

I heard this rumor that fans don't make decisions like that.

Gee no kidding? Good call. :rolleyes:

So what is really the point of what we do? Basically this whole thread is speculation by fans. Just because they don't make the decision doesn't mean they don't know their team. I mean if not being able to make the decision was the most important thing then what is done on here is really just pissing in the wind.