PDA

View Full Version : Major Moves

Robertmto
06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
[B]Adam Morrison 1? ... Draft Scenarios <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo likes Italian forward Andrea Bargnani, and if they hold onto the top pick it appears likely they will select him. But with the Raptors top two players Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva also natural power forwards, the choice creates a bit of a log jam. The team is also very fond of point guard Marcus Williams. If the right deal comes along to add another talented player to the mix, look for the Raptors to deal the pick and move down a few spots. It's possible the Raptors could add value and move down to 4 and still get their man (Bargnani).

Colangelo could even look to pull a Bill Walsh and trade down multiple times. He could roll the dice and trade down to 4 hoping to grab Bargnani. If Bargnani isn't there he could trade down again to the 7-8 range targeting Marcus Williams or Brandon Roy. But the value of first rounders is severely decreased with lottery protections, which are the type of picks teams will likely be willing to give up, making getting value for the pick more difficult.

There's a good chance the Portland Trailblazers or another team will trade up to the number one spot and select Adam Morrison. Sitting at the 4th position, Portland fears another team will make a move with a top 3 team (Charlotte perhaps) to grab Morrison in front of them. Portland could offer Jarrett Jack and an additional first rounder to move up.

Charlotte, who could take Morrison themselves but prefers Rudy Gay is one team looking to trade down if the right deal presents itself. Just like Houston, Charlotte would trade their pick if the right deal for a veteran 2-guard were to present itself.

Atlanta is another team looking to move into the top position. They would like to add a bigman, but sitting at 5, one of the bigmen, possibly LaMarcus Aldridge could slip to them. Atlanta could also target Shelden Williams by moving down a few spots. Williams has impressed in workouts and will likely land in the 7-11 range. The Hawks could look to add a point guard such as Dooling or Arroyo and/or picks by trading down and pick up WIlliams a few spots down from where they currently select at 5.

Seattle could be another option to move up to 5 as they reportedly love local kid Brandon Roy, and they know they will have to trade up to get him. The Hawks would love to pry Luke Ridnour away from Seattle, but it's unlikely they would include him in this type of deal.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[SIZE=4]Shannon Brown Moving Up

Michigan State Junior shooting guard Shannon Brown has been very impressive in workouts, so impressive a number of scouts feel he has leap-frogged his teammate Maurice Ager and should be selected in the 15-20 range.

The knock on him has always been that he is too small and lacks a position, but with his incredible athleticism he's able to overcome that.

For some reason I have a feeling that Charlotte and Portland will both try to grab that first pick from Toronto. It will become a bidding war. And an interesting side note - the newest mock draft from NBAdraft.net is all changed.
Toronto - Morrison
Chicago- Thomas
Charlotte - Gay
Portland - Bargnani
Atlanta - Aldridge
Indiana - Shannon Brown
Washington - Shawne Williams

CableKC
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Who the Heck is Shannon Brown?

Gamble
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Michigan State shooting guard. Picture a Fred JOnes that can
actually hit a shot or atleast thats what he is doing in his workouts.

Strengths: Shannon is a phenomenal athlete comparable to few prior. A true highlight-film waiting to happen on the fastbreaks, he is just as likely to rise up and dunk on the defense in a half-court setting. An on-target shooter with a high-rising jumper and pretty form. A capable handle despite not having to play the point guard spot with his high school team. He also is a solid defender when he sets his mind to shutting down his opponent. Exciting player with supreme athletic gifts, draws comparisons to Ronnie Fileds. Has the ability to play the point guard position on the next two levels. With his athleticism coupled with very large hands, bigger than his 6'9" teammates, and long arms, he has the tools to dominate.

Weaknesses: Classified as "great" in about every category, his passing ability, while above par, is not yet at the elite level. At times becomes lax on the defensive end when he is not totally entrapped in the game. Like many great shooters, he will most always try to shoot himself out of a slump, and at times this can serve as a deficiency to his game. A natural shooting guard, his size at 6'1" is a setback, but with capabilities at the lead guard spot, he will be alright.

Notes: Shannon's high school has one of the richest traditions of basketball taletn of any school in the country, the list of alma maters includes: Michael Finley, Doc Rivers, Sherel Ford, Donnie Boyce, Dee Brown, Steven Hunter

blanket
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
A natural shooting guard, his size at 6'1" is a setback

:eek:

Frank Slade
06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Who the Heck is Shannon Brown?
Yeah he is rising on the mock boards..

I mentioned him on the mock draft thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=411057#post411057)earlier today, he has worked out for the Pacers , most sites have him listed at 6'3 or 6'4 though..

tdubb03
06-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I've never really kept up with NBA mock-drafts before, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Is nbadraft.net (the one I see referenced the most) credible in any way at all? Morrison to Toronto with the 1st pick? That's insane.

Frank Slade
06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
I've never really kept up with NBA mock-drafts before, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Is nbadraft.net (the one I see referenced the most) credible in any way at all? Morrison to Toronto with the 1st pick? That's insane.

Well you have to Consider the word "Mock" and "Credible" are not two words you would necesarily associate together..

They are really just best guesses, speculation, a small percentage of actual inside info, as well as looking at what other boards have, and going off that.

That Said I think NBA Draft.net does one of the better jobs , and consistent track record, considering they are one of the few sites that are dedicated solely to the NBA Draft

Isaac
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
look at nbadraft.net's mock for last season to find out their credibility. They were off on Granger and Green, but other then that they were pretty damn good.

They had the entire top 6 perfect, and out of the top 10 only missed 2.

rexnom
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
And...this is why I love the draft!

tdubb03
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Well you have to Consider the word "Mock" and "Credible" are not two words you would necesarily associate together..

Ain't that the truth, shoulda thought about it a little more.

If Toronto keeps the #1 and takes anyone besides LeMarcus Aldridge, I'll be flabbergasted. And I maintain that the best player of this draft, not counting non-US guys since I know nothing about them, will be either Brandon Roye or Rudy Gay.