PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy or are we ultra-deep at PG?

TheLemonSong
06-04-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm reading this:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-060529moresamsmith,1,782209.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

and it says
8. Stephen Jackson, Pacers: He is a big shooting guard and the Pacers would like to get rid of him, but deals within the division are unlikely. The Bulls don't usually take a chance on guys with rock-head reputations and probably would fear him infecting the group. But they probably could do it for Duhon as the Pacers are short at point guard.

Call me crazy, but *short* at PG?!?! We only have JT, AJ, Saras, and Gill!!
What other team has 4 true PGs??

If anything I think we are short at *shooting* guard...but really it's the frontcourt that is lacking IMO.

Discuss.

Anthem
06-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I guess you could look at it that way.

We're very deep at PG. Unfortunately, we're not very good or reliable.

Is that better?

Young
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I think that we are very good at point guard.

Tinsley = A top 5-10 point guard when healthy. The problem is he is almost never healthy.

Johnson = One of the best backups in the league but also a very good starter.

Saras = A good player. We didn't really get to see what he could do though because of his limited minuates and playing at the 2 some of the time. I still think he will be a good point guard for us next season.

I'd say that not to many teams are deeper at point guard then us. The problem is Tinsley can't stay healthy.

Will Galen
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21514

Putnam
06-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Give the choice you offered, the answer has to be "You are crazy."

First, Gill's contract ends, so there are only three true point guards under contract. Sarunas is still a question mark, so that leaves two. Tinsley's health issues are so chronic that "a great player when he's healthy" ceases to impress. That leaves Johnson, who was, along with Granger and Peja, one of the bright spots of the past season. (Sorta. At times.)

I don't hate the thought of starting the new season with Johnson holding the keys, if that means we do some of the necessary changes at the other positions. I'd feel better with AJ and somebody in the back court that somebody and Jackson. But AJ plus a couple of question marks doesn't make the Pacers ultra deep at point guard.

And yes, we are even worse at shooting guard and center.

Slick Pinkham
06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
We are extremely deep at BACKUP PG.

period.

exclamation point.

We have a guy who will apparently start who can shoot and perform under pressure, as well as guard other PGs who aren't exceptionally fast.

We have another PG who is more talented in running the offense but is hurt all the time.

Kestas
06-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Discuss.

to discuss what? the moronity of some NBA analysts?

ChicagoJ
06-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Our point guard combination is terrible. Duhon (if healthy) would be an upgrade over every one of them.

if not healthy, he's similar enought to Tinsley that maybe you could hope to have each player available for 35-40 games.

Anthem
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
to discuss what? the moronity of some NBA analysts?
The funny thing is that you're the one on the board most likely to agree with the analyst's statement, since nobody else around here thinks Saras is a potential starter.

3ballinhoop
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
That's far from true. Apparently you didn't follow the discussion during the season, and missed the poll on this issue Anthem?

Chauncey
06-05-2006, 06:06 PM
PG=Weakest spot on the Pacers
Pacers=Barely made playoffs in the terrible Eastern Conference

Therefore: PG=needs to be remedied

btowncolt
06-05-2006, 06:07 PM
We have 3 guys who make good back-up point guards.

We have 2 guys who can make good back-up shooting guards.

Yippee!

circlecitysportsfan
06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I think that we are very good at point guard.

Tinsley = A top 5-10 point guard when healthy. The problem is he is almost never healthy.

I hate to say this but even when healthy he's not in the top 10. When healthy i'd say top 15 right now he's in the late 20's.

BoomBaby31
06-06-2006, 03:05 AM
[quote=rommie]I think that we are very good at point guard.

Tinsley = A top 5-10 point guard when healthy. quote]

Anyone else see the key word here?^^^^ (healthy)
It doesn't matter if we have stockton in his prime, if someone is always on the bench from Bird Flu (that hasn't been in North America), a hang nail, big toe hurts, jersey doesn't feel comfortable today, but I'm from brooklyn ya'll. Tins' is a decent PG to bad we don't get to see him play to often trade his *** as soon as he puts up 5 straight games lol.

Kestas
06-06-2006, 07:52 AM
The funny thing is that you're the one on the board most likely to agree with the analyst's statement, since nobody else around here thinks Saras is a potential starter.

you forgot to add "at the moment" ;)
besides, Pacers have little interest in our thoughts.