PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2006 NBA Finals Thread: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shade
06-03-2006, 11:08 PM
:trophy: #4W :mavericks (60-22, 12-5) VS. #2E :heat: (52-30, 12-5) :trophy:

GAME 1 @ :mavericks Thu. June 8 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 2 @ :mavericks Sun. June 11 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 3 @ :heat: Tue. June 13 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 4 @ :heat: Thu. June 15 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 5 @ :heat: Sun. June 18 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 6 @ :mavericks Tue. June 20 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)
GAME 7 @ :mavericks Thu. June 22 (ABC, 9 p.m. ET)

First off, congratulations to both the Mavs and Heat for making their first ever NBA Finals, and to whoever eventually wins their first NBA championship.

Part of me wants to say this is going to be a good series, but then I watch Dallas on nights like tonight and I can't help but wonder how Miami can match their firepower. Of course, Dallas' defense is not on the same level as Detroit's, either.

I have a feeling that this could be like 2004 all over again, where the Pistons and Pacers slugged it out in the ECF, with the winner supposedly being the sacrificial lamb for the All-Star roster Lakers in the Finals. We all know how that worked out.

Besides, how could this be the greatest NBA Playoffs ever without a competitive Finals?

Prediction: :mavericks in 6

Hicks
06-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Guys, think about this. After this thing is over, either Jerry Stackhouse or Antoine Walker will have a championship ring.

SoupIsGood
06-03-2006, 11:34 PM
2007 Indiana Pacers starting line-up:
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Ben Gordon
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

:puke:

317Kim
06-03-2006, 11:35 PM
That makes me feel even sicker...:puke:

but yes, Mavs in 6.

wooolus
06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Anything good happend to Walker makes me sick...

skyfire
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Guys, think about this. After this thing is over, either Jerry Stackhouse or Antoine Walker will have a championship ring.

Please not Walker. Mavs in 6

Stryder
06-03-2006, 11:41 PM

What is wrong with Stackhouse? You don't have to explain about Fatty Walker.

Lord Helmet
06-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Please, please not Walker. Please.

Hicks
06-03-2006, 11:47 PM
What is wrong with Stackhouse? You don't have to explain about Fatty Walker.

Nothing. It's just that neither one the past 6+ years ever struck me as a guy who would one day play for a ring.

Sollozzo
06-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Am I the only person that thinks Miami will win this series?

TheLemonSong
06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Gary "Poison" Payton winning in the Finals? I think not.

I too think Mavs in 6. I think the Mavs are the better road team and will lose one at home, take two in Miami, and finish up at home in Game 6.

Plus, Mark Cuban deserves this.

TheLemonSong
06-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Yes. hehe.

Shade
06-03-2006, 11:56 PM
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Ben Gordon
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

You think that's bad?

C - Jeff Foster
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Stephen Jackson
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

THAT is absolutely HORRIFYING. :shudder:

Lord Helmet
06-04-2006, 12:01 AM
You think that's bad?

C - Jeff Foster
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Stephen Jackson
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

Exactly.

SoupIsGood
06-04-2006, 12:06 AM

I'm thinking that they will.

IMO they have the best player. (Although Dirk is close) And then they have Shaq.

It will be a very tight series though, I'm thinking 7 games again.

Unclebuck
06-04-2006, 12:07 AM
What is the world is wrong with Stackhouse having a ring?

This should be a facinating matchup. Shaq is always a huge problem, but the Mavs have several players who can give Wade as much trouble as any team in the NBA. Plus I think Dirk is probably a tougher mathup for the Heat than Shaq or Wade is for the Mavs.

Also Terry and Devon harris has the quickness advanatege

Mavs in 7 games

SoupIsGood
06-04-2006, 12:08 AM
You think that's bad?

C - Jeff Foster
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Stephen Jackson
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

Neither team would be able to stop anyone. We'd get a little more scoring punch, but still go nowhere.

Sollozzo
06-04-2006, 12:12 AM
You think that's bad?

C - Jeff Foster
PF - Jermaine O'Neal
SF - Peja Stojakovic
SG - Stephen Jackson
PG - Jamaal Tinsley

What's horrifying is that in your sig, you apparantly believe Jamaal Tinsley can stay healthy and be the starter here consistantly next season.

Sollozzo
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking that they will.

IMO they have the best player. (Although Dirk is close) And then they have Shaq.

It will be a very tight series though, I'm thinking 7 games again.

True.

Miami has peaked, no doubt about it. But of course it's hard for Dallas to peak when they've consistantly been a top 2 team all season.

Shaq's clearly hungry and is playing the best basketball that he has in a long time.

Shaq, Wade, and Dirk will get theirs. Jason Terry will be strong. It all comes down to Mourning, Payton, Posey, Williams, Haslem and Stack, Harris, Howard etc to determine who wins the series. Whatever team can get the most from their role players will probably win.

tora tora
06-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Am I the only person that thinks Miami will win this series? Nope

Fireball Kid
06-04-2006, 12:42 AM
I have a strong feeling that the :trophy: will stay in Texas.

Young
06-04-2006, 01:11 AM
What is the world is wrong with Stackhouse having a ring?

This should be a facinating matchup. Shaq is always a huge problem, but the Mavs have several players who can give Wade as much trouble as any team in the NBA. Plus I think Dirk is probably a tougher mathup for the Heat than Shaq or Wade is for the Mavs.

Also Terry and Devon harris has the quickness advanatege

Mavs in 7 games

Agree with you.

I'd like to add though that I don't see anything wrong with Antoine Walker getting a ring. He is a good player, underratted but some of that is his fault. Anyways, I see nothing wrong with him getting a ring. He may not be perfect but I don't see why a lot of you hate him. What did he ever do to you?

I give the edge to the Mavs because of Adrian Griffin (laugh all you want) and Josh Howard. I expect these 2 to be guarding Wade most the time. I think both of these guys can give Wade a lot of problems.

Also, Dallas can beat you by going small or big. They can counter almost anything a team can do.

Moses
06-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Mavs in 7 because of the way the games are set up. I don't really like the 2-3-2 setup for games because I actually think that it doesn't give the home court team as much of an advantage. But the Mavs should win this series no matter what. If they don't, and Gary Payton and Fatoine get their rings, the apocolypse is going to arrive an hour afterwards.

BoomBaby31
06-04-2006, 02:47 AM
This is exactly how I wanted it. Watching Gary Payton, Mourning, and Walker cry thier eyes out. Dallas wins this championship! Vegas has Miami as the favorites but, I believe not I'm going to win big on this. There is no way Miami can match Dallas's firepower, even with no defense they don't have any players who can hit consistently like the mavs can. GGGOOO Dirk. I more thing, I literally cannot wait to see Cuban's reaction when the win it. Who thinks he's going to cry??

Robertmto
06-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Mavs in 6. Who can guard Dirk?

Jermaniac
06-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Go MAVS

Arcadian
06-04-2006, 04:11 AM
I like the Heat. In two weeks everyone will be saying how we need a dominate post player who can fill the lane.

owl
06-04-2006, 07:24 AM
For everyone who wants the Pacers to be the Phoenix Suns, Dallas and
the Heat contradict that. You still need to play defense and you still
need some effective bigmen to win it all. As far as who wins this Series
I honestly cannot say. Who plays the better defense?

D-BONE
06-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Dirk Nowitzki=NBA MVP 2006.

Hicks
06-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll say Mavs in 6.

Unclebuck
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I like the Heat. In two weeks everyone will be saying how we need a dominate post player who can fill the lane.

Yes and if we could get Shaq playing like he is right now, I'd agree with you. But we can't get Shaq and he won't be playinglike this next season. In more general terms there aren't any Shaq's coming inot the NBA, so you get the type of players that are available.

grace
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM

I'd rather think about fungus, thank you very much.

grace
06-04-2006, 09:32 AM

I don't know who is going to win, but I'd MUCH prefer (except for Walker, Williams, and Payton) Miami

Skaut_Ech
06-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I'd like to add though that I don't see anything wrong with Antoine Walker getting a ring. He is a good player, underratted but some of that is his fault. Anyways, I see nothing wrong with him getting a ring. He may not be perfect but I don't see why a lot of you hate him. What did he ever do to you?

How about helped ruin our enjoyment of the game of basketball? :chin: :idea:

Some of us might have longer memories than you and remember him from the moment he stepped on an NBA court.

Guys most people root for are the ones who you've seen grow over the years. Guys who appear to have respect for the game and players. Guys who have that special something. That's why people root for guys like Duncan, Kidd, or whomever. No one likes to root for a whiner or a guy who doesn't gives his all to his team or the game.

Antoine used to be horrible about jacking up shots. REALLY horrible. To the detriment of the Celtics. He once led the league in three point attempts. Are you feelin' me? Led the league! :mygod: Do you not remember how bad he used to screw the Celts on a regular basis due to him breaking the plays and jacking up a horrible shot? It was all about him. :sadyes:

He was always horrible about turning the ball over and playing defense when he felt like it. On top of it, the guy was arrogant beyond belief.

There are guys who've played who typify underachievers: Derrick Coleman, Tim Thomas, Greg Ostertag, Big Country, and Marbury. They have a level of talent and rather than take the next step, they regress, either due to laziness, ego or both. Itís not about making the team better. Itís about them displaying their game, or not wanting to work at being better.

I think some folks think Antoine falls into both categories. He had a few all-star years, and then started regressing. He never seemed a student of the game, just a loud mouth who argues with his coaches, taunted fans and refused to play within the scheme of his team

Now that he's gotten older and his skills are diminishing, he's toned it down cause it's hard to be cocky when you can't back it up. :geezer: He goes along because he has to. (I'm sure he took notes from Payton, another faded guy who's mellowed since he can't back it up. Payton has a flasbakc every once in a while, but that's about it.)

So many feel, myself included, that he hasn't earned a ring. :grumble: He just managed to be the right place at the right time and that sucks. Especially when you see guys like Reggie retire without a ring. :irked:

indygeezer
06-04-2006, 10:05 AM
How about helped ruin our enjoyment of the game of basketball? :chin: :idea:

Some of us might have longer memories than you and remember him from the moment he stepped on an NBA court.

Guys most people root for are the ones who you've seen grow over the years. Guys who appear to have respect for the game and players. Guys who have that special something. That's why people root for guys like Duncan, Kidd, or whomever. No one likes to root for a whiner or a guy who doesn't gives his all to his team or the game.

Antoine used to be horrible about jacking up shots. REALLY horrible. To the detriment of the Celtics. He once led the league in three point attempts. Are you feelin' me? Led the league! :mygod: Do you not remember how bad he used to screw the Celts on a regular basis due to him breaking the plays and jacking up a horrible shot? It was all about him. :sadyes:

He was always horrible about turning the ball over and playing defense when he felt like it. On top of it, the guy was arrogant beyond belief.

There are guys who've played who typify underachievers: Derrick Coleman, Tim Thomas, Greg Ostertag, Big Country, and Marbury. They have a level of talent and rather than take the next step, they regress, either due to laziness, ego or both. Itís not about making the team better. Itís about them displaying their game, or not wanting to work at being better.

I think some folks think Antoine falls into both categories. He had a few all-star years, and then started regressing. He never seemed a student of the game, just a loud mouth who argues with his coaches, taunted fans and refused to play within the scheme of his team

Now that he's gotten older and his skills are diminishing, he's toned it down cause it's hard to be cocky when you can't back it up. :geezer: He goes along because he has to. (I'm sure he took notes from Payton, another faded guy who's mellowed since he can't back it up. Payton has a flasbakc every once in a while, but that's about it.)

So many feel, myself included, that he hasn't earned a ring. :grumble: He just managed to be the right place at the right time and that sucks. Especially when you see guys like Reggie retire without a ring. :irked:

:geezer:

GADZOOKS!! I've been linked to Fatoine....oh the shame of it. :(

I completely agree with Skaut tho....Fatoine....Payton....Steve Francis.....to a large degree Ivy. Attitude is killing NBA and NBA viewership.

pizza guy
06-04-2006, 11:17 AM
I think it's jiggle that gets some people.

As for the series, it'll go 7 in my opinion, but I think Dallas comes out with the Trophy. Dirk is playing like never before and he has been impossible to stop. OTOH, DWade has been spectacular, and Shaq has almost resurrected past glory and the role players have stepped up in important situations. The series will really come down to the role players, IMO. Payton, Walker, JWill, Posey and Howard, Terry, Stack, whoever guards Shaq (Damp/Diop).

pacerwaala
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I'll say Mavs in 6.

I'll say the Mavs lose in 6 because they are too young and probabaly just happy to be there. Even their veterans, Stack and Jason Terry do not have much experience either in the playoffs or this far in the playoffs. Miami, on the other hand, have veterans who have almost tasted it but never grasped it. Their veteran savvy and Pat Riley's experience over Avery will win it for Miami IMHO.

But you have to give it to Mark Cuban. For all the commotion he creates, he really tries hard to make his team succeed. His constant efforts in terms of assembling a team, scouting and the smaller things like keeping players comfortable (leather bench chairs, awesome locker rooms, sound sytems for each player, etc) have finally payed off.

Calgary Jazz
06-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Dallas will not have an answer for Shaq and Wade. Miami in 6 or even in 5.

Hicks
06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Didn't Dallas kill Miami both times they met this year? Yeah yeah, it's different in the playoffs, blah blah blah, but these were blowouts I'm talking about. If Shaq and Wade were that unstoppable they wouldn't be so lopsided IMO.

Past that, I don't think Shaq is that unstoppable anymore. He doesn't bring every night what he used to, and the Mavs have two guys with size to put on him in Dampier and Diop. I'd consider doing what they did against the Spurs if I were Dallas: Start Harris and put Terry at the 2. No one's shutting down Wade anyway, but at least you'd have a quicker 2 in Terry on him this way, and I think Harris would eat Miami's team D alive like he did San Antonio's. I think that's what they need to do here. Jason Williams isn't good enough to stop him, and Payton's not fast enough anymore to put the clamps on him (he'll put up a solid effort however).

I also don't think Miami has anyone to stop Dirk at all.

haloguy
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Miami in 6

317Kim
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Didn't Dallas kill Miami both times they met this year? Yeah yeah, it's different in the playoffs, blah blah blah, but these were blowouts I'm talking about. If Shaq and Wade were that unstoppable they wouldn't be so lopsided IMO.

Past that, I don't think Shaq is that unstoppable anymore. He doesn't bring every night what he used to, and the Mavs have two guys with size to put on him in Dampier and Diop. I'd consider doing what they did against the Spurs if I were Dallas: Start Harris and put Terry at the 2. No one's shutting down Wade anyway, but at least you'd have a quicker 2 in Terry on him this way, and I think Harris would eat Miami's team D alive like he did San Antonio's. I think that's what they need to do here. Jason Williams isn't good enough to stop him, and Payton's not fast enough anymore to put the clamps on him (he'll put up a solid effort however).

I also don't think Miami has anyone to stop Dirk at all.

Yeah, I think ESPN showed the stats for both teams from the two regular season games they played. Dallas won both games by a good margin. To make things short, I'll just say that I agree with everything you just said.

The horror, the horror! Make it stop!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/PACERSGURL/fathead.jpg

JayRedd
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Mavs in 6. Who can guard Dirk?

Who can guard Shaq? Diop? And we know what this guy does to the "2nd Best Center in the League" Erick Dampier.

Dirk'll score. That's what he does. But that lane is gonna be a lot tighter with Zo or Diesel in there as opposed to Boris Diaw. So, I'm pretty sure we'll see him revert to his 18-foot turnaround jumpers when they need a clutch shot, I doubt he'll make enough of them to tip the scales in Dallas' favor.

So, as I told everybody I know about the Detroit series, I'll take the team with the two best players, thank you very much.

Miami in 6 or less.

Tim
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
While Dallas seems to be the obvious choice to win it all, I have to lean towards Miami, here are some reasons why.

Coaching. I must give the edge to Miami here. I think Rev. Avery Johnson is doing a great job but Riley is in his element here, especially with a couple of players that could make one of the 50 greats of the NBA (Shaq is already).

Experience. Say what you want about Zo, Fantione, and GP, they have a lot of playoff experience, and each one used to be THE MAN on their respective teams. If Shaq or Wade are on the bench the Heat can still put in a formitable line up that can play with the best of them for 6 to 8 minute stretches. I don't think the Mavs can go very long without their big three contributing every minute of the game.

I think we can guess what the Heat's general game plan is, keep the score close until the last couple of minutes then give the ball to Wade. I think they can do it, Fantione can play D when motivated, I expect to see him in Dirk's face plus forcing him to play D on the other end.

Jason Terry must play great in every way each game, he is the only guy I can think of that could consistently give the Heat problems. I expect Devin Harris to be totally useless, the Heat have shot blockers.

For Dallas to win they must play great defense and I don't think they will be good enough. I think their game plan will be to try to slow down Shaq and that will be death, they need to slow down everyone else but Shaq. Shaq is going to get his points, a PASSING Shaq will get another ring, let him shoot all day.

I don't expect Riley will allow a runfest, if it happens the Heat players are probably taking the day off.

I am not really for any team this series, its been a great playoffs and I just want to see it continued. I am not looking forward to the end of this season. Its gonna be a loooong summer.

Knucklehead Warrior
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Shaq has now brought all 3 of his teams to the finals.

<---- HUH?!!? We didn't win another championship?

owl
06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Knucklehead Warrior]Shaq has now brought all 3 of his teams to the finals./QUOTE]

Interesting factoid. Trying to be objective I believe that Dallas has too
much talent and depth.

JayRedd
06-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I expect Devin Harris to be totally useless, the Heat have shot blockers.

Hafta disagree here. I think finding people to guard Harris and Terry is going to be Miami's biggest problem. JWill and GP can't stay with either one of these guys. And even DWade has trouble stopping guys this quick.

317Kim
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Today's the Day. 9PM on ABC

Game 1: Heat @ Mavs

Go Mavs!

Ara
06-08-2006, 10:34 AM
I really hope Dallas wins, but I think Miami (I'm an unlucky guy) will win in 6.

317Kim
06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I really hope Dallas wins, but I think Miami (I'm an unlucky guy) will win in 6.

Be a Heat fan for a while ;)

Sollozzo
06-08-2006, 05:31 PM
I think Shaq will use everything in the tank for this series. That means he will probably be wasted next season. He may be 34, but I really do think he can dominate in this series like the Shaq of a few seasons ago.

I don't think the regular season games against Dallas mean anything now. Let's not forget, Detroit won 3 of the 4 regular season games against Miami this year. Miami only beat Detroit once this season because Dwyane Wade had a basically perfect fourth quarter where he couldn't miss. Otherwise, Detroit has a 4 game season sweep on the Heat. I think thats a perfect example that who won in the regular season really means nothing come playoff time.

The Heat were never that great all year. 52 wins, not that spectacular. The Pacers have topped 52 several times in the past decade or so. Miami has clearly peaked right now. Miami in February isn't the same team as Miami of right now.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Go Mavericks! I also think Mavs in 6.

God, is it a breath of fresh air or what? ...to not have to see the Pistons in the finals. Ahhh.

rexnom
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't know which feeling is stronger, my disappointment that I'll be seeing Ahmad Rashan and Dan Patrick or my excitement that I'll be seeing Mark Jackson and especially Mike Wilbon. Stuart Scott is a toss-up. He doesn't seem like his usual boo-yah self.

EDIT: I hate ABC. Bring back NBC.

I love Mark Cuban. Love him.

Lord Helmet
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Go Cuban, Go Mavs.

I'm just glad we have two different teams this year. No more Spurs and no Pistons.

Kaufman
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this -
I really do NOT want Erick Dampier to win a title.
I'm not usually negative, and don't wish ill will, but I really don't want him to win one.

Unclebuck
06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
OK, OK enough, play the game. These opening lineups are taking forever. Enough, enough.

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Pretty good game right now. Dallas 46 Miami 44 at the half.

Jermaniac
06-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Wade just baptized Dampier

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh baby! Give me some J.E.T.! 30 points for Jason.

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
and Jason misses a wide open layup..........Miami down by six with 7 minutes to go.

wooolus
06-08-2006, 11:40 PM
D-Wade is freaking UNREAL

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 11:47 PM
D-Wade is freaking UNREAL

I agree. Hes pretty much unstoppable.

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Our defense really stepped it up after that 1st quarter. Dallas leads 1-0. Jason Terry was great but our defense won this game tonight.

Pig Nash
06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry are leading the Mavs to a championship.

Who would have thought this was even possible two years ago???

Fireball Kid
06-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry are leading the Mavs to a championship.

Who would have thought this was even possible two years ago???

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Dallas still got 3 more games to win against a tought Miami team.;)

I expect Shaq to be more aggressive in game 2. He had a good game but didnt get enough touches. I dont think we can do anything about Wade but as long as Dallas takes the role players out of the game, we should be alright.

Sollozzo
06-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I remember when half of this board didn't want Terry over Tinsley when it was rumored in the 04 offseason as a possible deal.

Is there anyone on this planet who would still take Tinsley over Terry?

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-09-2006, 03:14 AM
I like Terry - I like the way he plays, but then again, what's not to like? I would die for someone like Terry over Tinsley any freakin' day of the week.

Go Mavs!

317Kim
06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Dwade is my favorite non-Pacer. Last night I remembered why. Either way, I'm glad the Mavs won! :woot:

Mavs lead 1-0. Next game is Sunday at 9 on ABC.

sig
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
After 25 years of supporting the Mavs, finally got to go to an NBA finals game. Gotta get my voice back for Game 2. Hopefully the Mavs will bring a good game. The Mavs played mediocre in Game 1. I think dirk and Josh bounce back with good games. Miami was shooting like they couldn't miss. Once Miami (mostly Walker and Williams) came back to earth and quit shooting 60+ percent, the game resembled the regular season games.

THe Mavs basketball IQ is their worst enemy. They sometimes go into self destruct mode and start making real stupid plays. Like terry trying to dunk to put the Mavs up by 12 then blowing it and falling on arse. He did that all by himself. Had that been Manu Ginobili of the spurs, they would of called a foul on the nearest Heat player who was 5 feet away. The whole team when into destruct mode for a few minutes after that. Stack when he gets the ball plays like he has that same lifetime contract for free coffee that Kramer from Seinfeld had. Either something really good happens or something really bad happens. Has to be the caffeine.

Both teams talked about adjustments in Game 2. The advantage Avery has is he has a lot of depth and players who specialize in different roles for adjustments. Riley has to try to adjust with the same players. My guess would be the Mavs will try to open it up more with their speed and the Heat will try to pound it into Shaq more.

J_2_Da_IzzO
06-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I want Wade to win a championship but I dont want Shaq to win another one.

Go Mavs!

Skaut_Ech
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't know which feeling is stronger, my disappointment that I'll be seeing Ahmad Rashan and Dan Patrick or my excitement that I'll be seeing Mark Jackson

Man, I don't know about you, but I thought Jackson was horrible. It's like he trotted out the Big Sports Book of Announcer Cliche's. He didn't give any insight, to me. He just threw out cliche after cliche. It reminded me of Bull Durham where Costner was teaching Nuke out to say something without saying something.

317Kim
06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Game 2. :)

Go Mavs!

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
This is Dirk's game, he was held to 17 last game, not this one...watch.
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
Who is Adrian Griffin gonna guard?
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
...and Javey causes the turnover...
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
Dirk with 5 early rebounds...BTW i love this new "edited follow up" system

Hicks
06-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I was getting tired of the clutter. I may remove the message and just let each merger be separated by a space.

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Actually I like the message. It shows dedication to the board. Keep up the good work Hicks!

Hicks
06-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Jerry Stackhouse went Reggie Miller on Miami's *** at the end of the 2nd with a 3, a 4 point play, and a falling out of bounds 3 to end the half!

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Stack was on fire to end the half he scored their last 10 points. And Dirk is a few boards away from a double double already!

indytoad
06-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Stackhouse is the kind of player you want on our bench - a smart vet who's a bit past his prime but still knows how to play. See also: McDyess, Walker, Payton, Finley, etc... That's why you want a bit of cap space, so you can sign those guys.

IndyToad
Better days

Unclebuck
06-11-2006, 10:49 PM
I love the Mavs defense. They are so active and aggressive. I love it

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I know its premature but I'd say...

Mavs -2
Heat - 0

Unclebuck
06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Stackhouse is the kind of player you want on our bench - a smart vet who's a bit past his prime but still knows how to play. See also: McDyess, Walker, Payton, Finley, etc... That's why you want a bit of cap space, so you can sign those guys.

IndyToad
Better days

True, but you have to be a good enough team to begin with to acquire players like that

grace
06-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I know its premature but I'd say...

Mavs -2
Heat - 0

Is it too late to change my vote? I think I might change it to Mavs in 4. :(

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 10:57 PM
True, but you have to be a good enough team to begin with to acquire players like that

How many years are on his contract still?
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

Is it too late to change my vote? I think I might change it to Mavs in 4. :(

I'd change mine to Mavs in 5. :cool:

indytoad
06-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Agreed, which is why I was hesitant to apply it to the Pacers' current situation. But better cap management starts now, so when we are a good team again, we're not hamstrung.

IndyToad
A family guy

Unclebuck
06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
As I thought, the Spurs vs Mavs was the real NBA Finals.

Although I see the Heat pushing this to 6 games still. They will win 2 out of 3 in Miami

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Damp THROWS IT DOWN!!!

Sollozzo
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Heat will win game 3. Mavs take game 4. Heat will probably smoke them in game 5. Dallas clinches in game 6.

Just like the Pacers-Lakers series.

SoupIsGood
06-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Darnit Heat

Kstat
06-11-2006, 11:35 PM
This is probably the most predictable series since 2002.

Miami put so much thought and effort into beating us, someone forgot to tell them they had one more series to play....

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Dirk for Finals MVP?

Unclebuck
06-11-2006, 11:37 PM
This is probably the most predictable series since 2002.

4 game sweep?

Robertmto
06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
4 game sweep?

I'm givin the Heat 1 victory

Fireball Kid
06-11-2006, 11:57 PM
2 to go.

Sollozzo
06-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Shaquille O'Neal is finished dominating.

Be careful what you say. A year ago he was trashing Erik Dampier saying he belonged in the WNBA. Now he can't score against Damp and the rest of the Mavs.

I get tired of hearing Shaq say how he is greedy and wants more rings, then playing a **** poor game. Shaq should be banned from speaking after tonights game.

Robertmto
06-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Shaq only took 5 shots. Dirk had 26 and 16. Stack was unstoppable. This series isn't even close.

Kstat
06-12-2006, 03:35 AM
The diesel is running on empty.....

Robertmto
06-12-2006, 04:05 AM
He's below the red line

Kstat
06-12-2006, 04:51 AM
I think we expended too much energy beating the Cavs, and Miami spent waaaay too much beating us.....

317Kim
06-12-2006, 07:40 AM
:yes: Mavs are up 2-0.

Dampier scored more and got more rebounds than Shaq. I never thought that I'd say that. It was a good game for Dallas....a frustarating one for DWade and the Heat. Dwayne ended up with 23 points off a 6 for 19 night. :eek: Stackhouse was fire from dowtown in the 2nd quarter.

Series shift to Miami.

able
06-12-2006, 08:20 AM
to many "stars" not mixing that well and the Heat being out-coached are the reasons for the loss, Shaq 5 attempts is a telling story, the fact that no one could punish the double and treble teams he got tells even more.

Wade was doing his team little favors last night.

Unclebuck
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I think we expended too much energy beating the Cavs, and Miami spent waaaay too much beating us.....

I'm not buying that.

The Heat had 8 days off between beating the Nets and playing the Pistons and then 7 days between beating the Pistons and playing the Mavs, and then two days off between game 1 and game 2. Heat tired? No I'm not buying that

Shade
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't gotten to watch a single game in the Finals yet, and it looks like I haven't been missing much. I hope Dallas can take this one in a sweep.
--- Edited Follow-Up ---

I'm not buying that.

The Heat had 8 days off between beating the Nets and playing the Pistons and then 7 days between beating the Pistons and playing the Mavs, and then two days off between game 1 and game 2. Heat tired? No I'm not buying that

I agree, UB. The Eastern powers are going to have to make some changes if they want to wrestle the :trophy: away from the West the next few seasons.
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
EDIT - This new editing system is spiffy. :)

BoomBaby31
06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I just love to see that look on Gary Payton and Mournings face's it makes my year I tell you. The ONLY person I feel sorry for is Wade because he thinks Shaq is the best thing for him but, he is not.

pizza guy
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I'll give Miami 1 win, maybe even two if they catch fire. Right now, Dallas is just unstoppable it seems. It's not just Dirk, either. It's all the little guys that Riley didn't gameplan for.

Oh yeah, and the fact that Shaq and DWade have laid an egg so far.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I give Miami 1 win if they are lucky. But the home court may do wonders for them, but I can't say I think it's likely. I'm stoked to see the Mavs up 2-0. The only person I like on the Heat is Wade, and he's young yet. A sweep would be almost too sweet.

8.9_seconds
06-13-2006, 02:54 AM
I just love to see that look on Gary Payton and Mournings face's it makes my year I tell you. The ONLY person I feel sorry for is Wade because he thinks Shaq is the best thing for him but, he is not.

I actually wish there was someway that Zo and Payton could get a ring, but Miami still lose. I really do enjoy both of them.

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 03:49 AM
I actually wish there was someway that Zo and Payton could get a ring, but Miami still lose. I really do enjoy both of them.

I dont like them just based on the fact that they are whoring themselves for a ring. And Payton has now been unsuccessful twice! lmao. I was happy when Karl didnt get one either. Dont get me wrong I wanted Karl to get one I just wanted him to win it in Utah.

Kstat
06-13-2006, 03:51 AM
I don't like anybody who plays as carelessly as Zo without regard for other human beings. That's what I have the problem with.

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't like anybody who plays as carelessly as Zo without regard for other human beings. That's what I have the problem with.

He's gonna bust a kidney..

D-BONE
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Any Miami is tired rationale is not applicable to what's happening here. The Heat are simply getting worked by a superior team that trumps them in stars, athleticism, desire, and coaching.

Go back to the second half of the regular season and track Dallas's play through the playoffs. They've been the team. There was some expectation that they would be unable to continue their high level of performance in the post season and they've proven that wrong.

They would have pounded any representative the East put out there. It is simply their year.
--- Edited Follow-Up ---
P.S.-Ban Shaq from post game press conference? What would have been even better is a career-long ban from speaking to the press. How many times can you stand to listen to reporters laughing at some supposed attempt at humor that makes absolutely no sense?

317Kim
06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Game 3 starts in a couple of minutes.

I was watching the shootaround, and the lyrics to the song in the background was, "...we're going down down in the earlier round, but sugar we're going down swinging.." :lmao:

Shade
06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
This pregame is just awful. It's like a Super Bowl wannabe pregame.

Wade just pulled a Fred Jones.

Anthem
06-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, I'm now rooting for Miami to win.

I *HATE* Finals commercials where the star isn't in the series.

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 10:54 PM
If the Heat would hit all these open shot they would be up by 20.

Then again if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses everytime they hopped.

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Dallas is letting Fatty Fat Fat kill them. :rolleyes:

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Something will happen that will pry the game from the hands of the Heat...I have a funny feeling...

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Josh Howard has arrived. :D

Robertmto
06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
These minor injuries mite be that something.

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
This looks to be about over for Miami. Shaq can't guard Dampier, and nobody can guard Dirk and Howard.

Could be a sweep.

Fireball Kid
06-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Erick is outplaying Shaq again. Even I didnt expect this.

And yes, Josh has arrived.

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:31 PM
We could certainly use an Erick Dampier right about now... :whistle:

Game. Set. Match.

No rings for Trash Mouth or Fatty Fat Fathead. :D

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH LISTEN TO THOSE MIAMI WATCHERS (NOT FANS) BOO!!! BOO! *****ES BOO! HAHAHAAH Love it, Just love it. Boo! Shaq, Payton, Haslem, Mourning right out of the stadium and give poor Wade and Van Gundy back their team!

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Shaq has been outplayed in two straight games by ERICK DAMPIER.

That is all.

bulldog
06-13-2006, 11:42 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH LISTEN TO THOSE MIAMI WATCHERS (NOT FANS) BOO!!! BOO! *****ES BOO! HAHAHAAH Love it, Just love it. Boo! Shaq, Payton, Haslem, Mourning right out of the stadium and give poor Wade and Van Gundy back their team!

This is obviously not gonna help their acting careers. How are they gonna look hot in the club wearing a Wade jersey if that idiot keeps losing, dammit!!!

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Miami has it down to 5...

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 11:48 PM
The sad thing is if they would of kept their team that they had last year they'd be blowing them out. Riley did Van Gundy wrong, insisted on getting all of these big ego OLD superstars to mess up what Gundy had going. I love what is going on, it'd make me sick literally sick if they won the Finals.

Cuban has to be a sports bettor look at his face...

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Miami is making one last push. 3-point game.

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 11:51 PM
alright shaq daddy lets see the free throws lol.

WoW both of them

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Shaq shoves Damp out of the way and Damp gets called for the foul. :rolleyes:

Wow, Shaq hits BOTH FTs. :crazy:

Down to 1...

Miami with a chance to take the lead. :shakehead

Miami by 1. :eek:

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
The Mavs know it will better for Cuban if they win by a last secon shot lol.

Anthem
06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Is there a more underrated big man than Haslem?

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Man, this sucks.

BoomBaby31
06-13-2006, 11:58 PM
they better add some time did you see 5 seconds ran off after the whistle

Shade
Posey leaves the door open...

Tie game!

BoomBaby31
Give it to dirk. or Harris.. yeppy..

Shade
06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Ugh.

BoomBaby31
OH my Gosh!!! Payton hit a shot

bulldog
The sad thing is if they would of kept their team that they had last year they'd be blowing them out. Riley did Van Gundy wrong, insisted on getting all of these big ego OLD superstars to mess up what Gundy had going. I love what is going on, it'd make me sick literally sick if they won the Finals.

Disagree. I'm not accusing you personally of this, but in general, it pisses me off that people laud Riles' moves when the Heat are doing well and complain when they aren't.

They got past the Pistons: that was what the moves where intended to accomplish. No one felt the Mavs were gonna reach the finals, this Miami team matches up really well with both the Spurs and the Pistons, just not the Mavs. not deep enough, not enough athleticism, no answer for Dirk, no perimeter D, etc.

Not to mention, anytime you're in the Finals, as a GM you have to be pretty happy. I just don't think anyone counted on Shaq getting beat by Eric Dampier.

Pacersfan.
06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Payton with the huge shot.

BoomBaby31
06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
give this ball to Dirk or Stack. Win this mother..

Shade
06-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Looks like that goaltend earlier is going to end up costing Dallas the game.

Dirk to the line!

He's already missed two in this game.

Dirk misses. :shakehead

Anthem
06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Oof. That's got to hurt.

BoomBaby31
06-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Mavs could surely use that 5 seconds that ran off during that one foul

Pacersfan.
06-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Did Wade miss that on purpose?

Shade
06-14-2006, 12:05 AM
I can't believe Miami stole this one. I'm pissed.

Mavs could surely use that 5 seconds that ran off during that one foul

Not to mention the goaltend in the first half.

BoomBaby31
06-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Mavs just want to win it at Home thats all. :)

pacerwaala
06-14-2006, 12:08 AM
that win by Miami will go a long way in deflating the Mavs mojo and confidence in this series.

Poor young Mavs did not know how to close out.

SoupIsGood
06-14-2006, 12:09 AM
YES! Heat wins! :happydanc

Wade is the man.

bulldog
06-14-2006, 12:09 AM

Disagree. I'm not accusing you personally of this, but in general, it pisses me off that people laud Riles' moves when the Heat are doing well and complain when they aren't.

They got past the Pistons: that was what the moves where intended to accomplish. No one felt the Mavs were gonna reach the finals, this Miami team matches up really well with both the Spurs and the Pistons, just not the Mavs. not deep enough, not enough athleticism, no answer for Dirk, no perimeter D, etc.

Not to mention, anytime you're in the Finals, as a GM you have to be pretty happy. I just don't think anyone counted on Shaq getting beat by Eric Dampier.

BoomBaby31
06-14-2006, 12:13 AM

Most GM's are happy but when you have this type of talent you are expected to not only enter the finals you need to win. Spurs are WAY more deep then the Mav's. The Mav's weren't expected to be in the finals but, it's not shocking because they are good. Pistons team fell apart, locker issues, egos, blaming the coach etc.. I knew the Heat were going to make the finals but, I also know they are going to lose. No matter how you look at it Riley did Van Gundy wrong. Van Gundy should of put his foot down and kept is well rounded "team" last year. Riley brought these superstars in and packed in the egos to tight. Granted they had a nice comeback tonight but, again because of Wade. The Media flip flops more then John Kerry (even though we got the whole Iraq view sorted out today it's official he's against it). One minute ESPN say's Shaq is the best in the middle of his prime, then he is too old and needs to retire. To many superstars on a team just doesn't work out, look at the Yankee's and it doesn't take HALF of the team play to win in Baseball.

Young
06-14-2006, 12:14 AM
that win by Miami will go a long way in deflating the Mavs mojo and confidence in this series.

I agree.

I thought that the Mavs would win this game, but I knew that if the Heat one it, it's a series turning win, it could be atleast.

Let me say this though, that was a great designed play by Avery Johnson at the end of the game. It didn't work, but it was nicely designed. I like how it was something different, I think everyone expected a pass to like Dirk or Terry and then they shoot it but AJ tried something a little different. I was a little suprised though that they threw the lob to the guy being guarded by Wade.

This should turn into a good series. I gotta go with Miami in game 4, it's in their house and they are coming off a series changing victory.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-14-2006, 12:19 AM
That was one lucky win.

Unclebuck
06-14-2006, 12:20 AM
The Mavs are the better team, they will win this series, I'm very confident in that.

If not for a great play by Wade Josh Howards scores on that alley-oop on a great pass by Dirk.

Great game .

As far as the Mavs being deflated and that will carry over to the next game. That is pure garbage

Lord Helmet
06-14-2006, 12:21 AM
YES! Heat wins! :happydanc

Wade is the man.
You want the Heat to win? I like Wade, but the Heat winning means Fatoine and Gary Payton getting a ring, and that I could do without, and Shaq getting another ring, he doesn't need anymore, IMO.

Unclebuck
06-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't want the Heat to win, but an argument could be made that the Heat won't be as good next season if they win the championship this season.

On thing to keep in mind. Thursday night's game is the one game where fatigue will be a factor 9due to the schedule, and that favors the Mavs.

I wish Josh would have let Payton shoot the three instead of going for the fake.

Fireball Kid
06-14-2006, 01:18 AM
If Dallas can get just 1 road win in 2 of these Heat games, than I'll be happy.

Yeah, Dallas coulda won tonight but I'm not all that pissed. A little better defense and Dallas probably wins this game by 1 point. Oh well. Game 4, bring it on.

D-BONE
06-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm pulling for the Mavs and I think they will still take the series, but how they handle the game 3 loss is important. You have to admit they choked that game and it could affect them.

Yes Miami got some fortunate calls (missed goaltend call, Shaq's late push on Damp to get offensive board no call), but Dallas was up like 13 with under 6 minutes. Then suddenly Miami's D gets physical and big D just gets passive and stops moving on offense. Dirk misses a pressure FT. They did not handle the clutch situation well.

Avery has to make get them to erase that script. This will be his first big coaching challenge of the series on the motivational front. This seems to be one of his strengths.

317Kim
06-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Ok, I'm now rooting for Miami to win.

I *HATE* Finals commercials where the star isn't in the series.

Indeed. The VC T-Mobile commercial comes to mind.

Ehh..Mavs still lead 2-1. Game 4 is Thursday at 9. Go Mavs!

317Kim
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Game 4 is on the way.

Go Mavs! :)

SoupIsGood
06-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Wade is gonna go nutters again

Shade
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
:dancingba is officiating tonight.

The series is about to be tied.

Fireball Kid
06-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I expected us to get blown out tonight after what happened at Game 3. The defenseive effort wasnt there and they just didnt give a s*it.

Dallas will play better in game 5 because they have too.

Shade
06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
:dancingba is officiating tonight.

The series is about to be tied.

:shrug:

Unclebuck
06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
:shrug:

So it was all Dick's fault

SoupIsGood
06-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Dallas = poop

Shade
06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Mavs still take the next 2 and win in 6.

SoupIsGood
06-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Dallas win the next, Heat win Game 6, Heat win Game 7

^ My prediction

Shade
06-16-2006, 12:40 AM

^ My prediction

You think Miami will win the last two in Dallas?!

You do realize that the Heat are night and day when it comes to home court, right?

Robertmto
06-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Mavs in 6 still

Fireball Kid
06-16-2006, 04:23 AM

^ My prediction

So what your saying is(assuming it even goes to game 7) that the Heat will win both games in Dallas? Is that what your saying?

Stay off the crack.

Lord Helmet
06-16-2006, 05:20 AM
Screw the Heat.

No ring for Fatione, please.

I think Dallas can pull it together, but it won't be easy.

Dallas = poop? :sarcasm:

Regards, :cool:
Lord Helmet

(That is how Mourning does it, right?)

SoupIsGood
06-16-2006, 06:32 AM
So what your saying is(assuming it even goes to game 7) that the Heat will win both games in Dallas? Is that what your saying?

Stay off the crack.

:rolleyes:

Unclebuck
06-16-2006, 07:58 AM
One thing that drives me crazy is the same media people who were saying three days ago that the series is over, that the Mavs are going to win easily those same people are now saying that the mavs are in big trouble, they have lost confidence and now the Heat arte going to win.

Slick Pinkham
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Dallas = poop

What does that make the Pacers?

SoupIsGood
06-16-2006, 08:11 AM
What does that make the Pacers?

Masterfece

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/062305/masterfece.gif

317Kim
06-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Eh, I still say Mavs in 6 too.

Plus, we own the Heat. Seeing them win a trophy before us is just :yuck:

Slick Pinkham
06-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Masterfece

We are the corn in the poop. Not even worthy of being part of the larger mass.

Shade
06-16-2006, 09:30 AM
So it was all Dick's fault

All I'll say is my prediction was right. I can predict who's going to win in Bavetta-officiated games about 90% of the time.

Jon Theodore
06-16-2006, 09:48 AM
stackhouse is my idol

Stryder
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
And Stackhouse has been suspended for Game 5.

Hicks
06-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Stack was suspended? That is ridiculous. I was watching the game today on my DVR (studying all night yesterday) and it was a hard foul, worthy of a flagrant, nothing more. That's just stupid. But then, this is the NBA.

Unclebuck
06-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Stack was suspended? That is ridiculous. I was watching the game today on my DVR (studying all night yesterday) and it was a hard foul, worthy of a flagrant, nothing more. That's just stupid. But then, this is the NBA.

I agree but it was probably worse then what Artest did to Manu, what Posey did to Hinrick, and what Bell did to Kobe and they were all suspended one game. So if the NBA wanted to be consistant a suspension was warranted.

All I'll say is my prediction was right. I can predict who's going to win in Bavetta-officiated games about 90% of the time.

OK, we'll see how you do. He'll likely do game 7 if there is one, and we'll see how you do next season.

So Dick cancelled out the other two refs.

I would be interested in knowing which calls last night were in the Heat's favor. Officiating seemed rather even to me

Shade
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
If Bavetta is officiating Game 7, Miami will win. You can put it on the front page, the back page, anywhere you like. ;)

317Kim
06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Time for Game 5. :woot2:

Go Stackhouse-less Mavs!

Unclebuck
06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I swear probably about a million viewers turn the game off after having to sit through the long introductions. maybe I'm getting old, but just get to the game already

317Kim
06-18-2006, 09:13 PM
You're probably right. I usually wait until 15 mins after to turn it on and watch.

grace
06-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I swear probably about a million viewers turn the game off after having to sit through the long introductions. maybe I'm getting old, but just get to the game already

You wouldn't mind so much if it had been Reb Porter instead of that dorky Miami announcer.

Robertmto
06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
You wouldn't mind so much if it had been Reb Porter instead of that dorky Miami announcer.

Is that the Detroit announceR? I love his intros...B B B B Billups!

efx
06-19-2006, 12:05 AM
overtime

Steve McQueen
06-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Dwyane Wade is a legend in the making. 20 years from now we're gonna look back at him the same way we now look back at Magic and Bird and Dr. J and such. What a spectacular player.

By the way, Ive said it since day 1 - Miami in 6. It stuck without when Dallas won the first two games and Im sticking with it now. As good as Dirk is, Miami has 1 player definantly better (Wade) and another arguably better, or atleast as good (Shaq). Miami also has the far more accomplished, far more experienced coach in Pat Riley. That more than makes up for Dallas' slight edge in role players.

sweabs
06-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Ouch...Josh Howard...poor guy.

By the way, where was the foul on Dirk on that last drive by Wade that sent him to the line? Man, Dallas fans were already upset over the Stackhouse stuff...now they've got to be real angry.

Shade
06-19-2006, 12:34 AM
And the refs hand Miami the game.

I'm shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!

:unimpress

Oh, and so much for Dirk being a Top 10 player. He has been "teh choke" the last two games. Sheesh.

Lord Helmet

I'm shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!

:unimpress
I'll not blame the refs, although for the last FT's that Wade had, he drove to the basket and was not touched, and they call a foul. :rolleyes:

What ****ed Dallas was their inability to hit FT's.

Robertmto
do the refs get a ring for this :censored: ?

Lord Helmet
06-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Dirk was going semi-Artest in the lockerroom. :laugh: I feel for him, though.

Also, they said Dirk kicked the ball in the stands, watch the NBA suspend him for that. The reason, "NBA's changed." :unimpress

Cactus Jax
06-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Dirk choked as in hitting that shot with under 10 seconds left in OT to give em the lead?

Yeah he missed a foul shot but to call him a complete choker is foolish.

Fireball Kid
06-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Looks like my heart will be broken yet again........Pacers couldnt win a title with Reggie.........Mavs probably wont win a title with Dirk...............

This is like the 2000 NBA Finals all over again.

At least I'll still have memories of the good ol' John Elway days when the Denver Broncos won back to back titles.

I haven't given up on my team yet............but things aren't looking good right now.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 12:39 AM

Shade, I want you after you calm down to calmly explain why the refs want the Heat to win at this point. The series is already going 6 games guaranteed. This is the last series, why do the refs want them to win. Explain the rationale.

bulletproof
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM

How? Wade makes that shot if he goes untouched to the basket. Announcers said Dirk had his hand on Wade's back. Doesn't take much to throw a player's shot off.

travmil
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I'll be happy when the NBA calls a fair game. They sent Wade to the line 26 times, and he wasn't even touched on that last one. In fact, earlier in that same play he had pushed one of his defenders out of bounds. Between this and them suspending Stack, it's completely ridiculous. Just call the game fairly for BOTH sides. Is that too much to ask?

Young
06-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Ouch...Josh Howard...poor guy.

By the way, where was the foul on Dirk on that last drive by Wade that sent him to the line? Man, Dallas fans were already upset over the Stackhouse stuff...now they've got to be real angry.

I feel for Josh. I just hope he doesn't get blamed for the loss, he wasn't the only one who messed up.

I was also wondering where the foul was on Dirk. There might have been a foul on Devin Harris but I couldn't really tell for sure. I defiantly didn't see a foul on Dirk though.

How can anyone say that the Mavs lost this game on missed free throws? They went 21-25 from the line, they made a good share of their free throws,the problem was they only got to the line 25 times and allowed Miami to get to the line almost 50 times. Maybe if the Mavs wouldn't have went 5-19 from 3 point range, they would have won...

Dallas allowed Dwyane Wade to get to the line 25 times. Maybe they need to start playing some defense on Wade. I know Wade is good at getting to the line, but anytime you allow someone to attempt 25 free throws in a game....you're not playing good defense.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Wow what a game though. I was nervous just watching it. So many huge shots, so many strange and big plays. Wow what a game.

Shade
06-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Wade wasn't touched on that last shot, and missed horribly (and it's not the only time tonight he went to the line after a bogus phantom foul).

Miami had to win this game to have a chance, because they're not a strong road team.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Dallas allowed Dwyane Wade to get to the line 25 times. Maybe they need to start playing some defense on Wade. I know Wade is good at getting to the line, but anytime you allow someone to attempt 25 free throws in a game....you're not playing good defense.

I disagree, I thought Mavs defense was exellent on Wade, but he is just that good. The couple of times they doubled him hard, the heat still scored.

The hack a Shaq was all messed up in OT.

Avery told his players to call timeout after the two free throws, and Josh obviously thought he meant right then and there. That is fatigue, Josh was dead tired in the 4th and OT. You know if Mavs fan and media beat him up too much, the Pacers would love to have Josh

Wade wasn't touched on that last shot, and missed horribly (and it's not the only time tonight he went to the line after a bogus phantom foul).

Miami had to win this game to have a chance, because they're not a strong road team.

He was bumped slightly and hit slightly. I thought they shouldn't have called the foul, but there was some contact by two players.

Shade are you going to explain why the refs or the NBA at this point want the heat to win. And please don't give me the Stern giving the trophy to Cuban thing, I don't buy that is a big deal at all

Mordecaii
06-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm sorry, but Wade was definately touched by SOMEONE on the last play... I don't think Dirk really touched him (unless he was pushing him in the back), but Harris definately seemed like he fouled him.

Edit: I'd also like to put in that I definately saw some plays that I thought were called poorly that affected Miami in a negative way, so it's not like the refs were biased one way or another. Wade almost forced the refs to call a foul on the last play by driving to the basket inbetween the entire Mavs team, and that was a smart play. As for the discrepency in foul shooting, do you really think a series that features two of the people who always take a ton of free throws (Shaq and Wade) versus a team whose star players are more jump shooters (Nowitzki and Terry, Howard can get to the line though) is going to be even in terms of free throws?

Fireball Kid
06-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Josh and Terry had great games.............man, I just sitting here..............shocked as hell that Dallas is down 3-2 in this series.

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Watching from a neutral standpoint, That was some disgusting officiating.

There's really no excuse for a team to have taken 49 free throws. Even if the refs were whistle happy..theres still no way.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 01:06 AM
The NBA is an impossible game to officiate, there were a lot of bad calls and a lot of calls that were stange, but I learned long ago that it is impossible to officiate. All you can hope for is a little balance.

I feel bad for Avery.

For all the Mavs fans, it will only be sweeter when the Mavs win the next two games. You know this is going 7 games. The way the 2006 playoffs have been going

Steve McQueen
06-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Watching from a neutral standpoint, That was some disgusting officiating.

There's really no excuse for a team to have taken 49 free throws. Even if the refs were whistle happy..theres still no way.
1. Hack-A-Shaq. Thats 12 free throws for Shaq alone...not to mention the fact that it put the Mavs in the penalty, which got the Heat even more free throws.

2. Dwyane Wade. One of the best, if not the best slasher in the league. You drive to the basket, you're gonna get fouled, you're gonna get free throws.

If Dallas would play some legit defense instead of trying the cheap Hack-and-Shaq, they wouldn't be giving up so many free throw attempts.

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Another thing that kind of upsets me is the way this 7 game series was scheduled. It seems to me that Miami had more of an advantage in the way the series was set up..

I'm definitely not a fan of the 2-3-2 format

Mordecaii
06-19-2006, 01:15 AM
I agree, I don't especially like the 2-3-2... but then again, there's only been two teams to win the 3 middle games at home, so in a way it usually helps out the team with the better record.

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:15 AM
1. Hack-A-Shaq. Thats 12 free throws for Shaq alone...not to mention the fact that it put the Mavs in the penalty, which got the Heat even more free throws.

2. Dwyane Wade. One of the best, if not the best slasher in the league. You drive to the basket, you're gonna get fouled, you're gonna get free throws.

If Dallas would play some legit defense instead of trying the cheap Hack-and-Shaq, they wouldn't be giving up so many free throw attempts.
You take away Shaq's 12 and you still have 37 free throws attempted. And the Mavs didn't even foul Shaq that much in the 4th.

Steve McQueen
06-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Another thing that kind of upsets me is the way this 7 game series was scheduled. It seems to me that Miami had more of an advantage in the way the series was set up..

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 01:16 AM

Well if it was to benefit the Heat, how in the world did the NBA know in 1984 that it would benefit the heat 22 years later. I know it's late. What I'm saying is the Finals have been this way for over 20 years.

The Hack-A-Shaq only gave the heat 4 free throws

Steve McQueen
06-19-2006, 01:18 AM
You take away Shaq's 12 and you still have 37 free throws attempted. And the Mavs didn't even foul Shaq that much in the 4th.
And? Thats the benefits of having an amazing penetrator like Wade.

Free throws are earned, not given away. The sooner the fans relieze that, the sooner we can stop hearing annoying complaints after every game. Dallas is a soft jump shooting team, jump shooter don't get to the line often. (unless you're Dirk, in which case you get to the line whether you're fouled or not)

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Well if it was to benefit the Heat, how in the world did the NBA know in 1984 that it would benefit the heat 22 years later. I know it's late. What I'm saying is the Finals have been this way for over 20 years.

The Hack-A-Shaq only gave the heat 4 free throws
I just think the setup should be 2-2-1-1-1.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 01:20 AM
I just think the setup should be 2-2-1-1-1.

Oh I agree with that.

As I was watching the game the Mavs should have had a bigger lead throughout the game, they were playing well, but just couldn't get the lead they should have.

Reason why the Pacers have never won a championship: They've never had a player like Wade. Simple as that. At winning time late in close playoff games, you need a guy like that to win it all.

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:24 AM
And? Thats the benefits of having an amazing penetrator like Wade.

Free throws are earned, not given away. The sooner the fans relieze that, the sooner we can stop hearing annoying complaints after every game. Dallas is a soft jump shooting team, jump shooter don't get to the line often. (unless you're Dirk, in which case you get to the line whether you're fouled or not)
I really don't care anyways. I hate both of these teams so I don't care which way the officiating goes. If there was honestly a way that both teams could lose the series, I'd be all for it. Dallas will still probably win the series because the refs will give them a game and they will win the other on their own.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Dallas will still probably win the series because the refs will give them a game and they will win the other on their own.

OK, this is what I am trying to get an answer to. Why will the refs give the Mavs a game. What is the refs motivation to do that at this point.

Moses
06-19-2006, 01:33 AM
OK, this is what I am trying to get an answer to. Why will the refs give the Mavs a game. What is the refs motivation to do that at this point.
It's just the way these playoffs have worked. It's not based on motivation..just my own speculation. It seems that every time a game seems one sided in one teams favor, the refs always hand the game to the other team in the next one. I'm not saying the game was one sided on officiating..but I do beleive that the scale leaned towards Miami a tiny bit more on getting calls. Needless to say, I wouldn't be surprised to see the refs give Dallas game 6 and then see an 'epic' game 7.

BoomBaby31
06-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Wade had a wonderful game he didn't get fouled on that last shot but, he's still AWESOME player. O'neal sucks lol well at free throws anyway. Dirk deserves an academy award for that flop on Haslem in OT it was brillant.

Does anyone know, will the commetators get repremanded if they talk about missed calls and so forth? I know they see alot of flopping and have to bite their tongues not to identify how bad ref's really are. I don't think the refs do it intentionally I honestly think the ref's suck in the NBA, they get swayed by the crowd, and it's sooo hard to tell if it's a flop or not. NBa needs a rule like Soccer has for flopping lol

Steve McQueen
06-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Photographic Evidence:
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0618/nba_g_wade2_412.jpg

Video Evidence:
http://nelsok.com/images/72102485.gif

The mistake the refs made wasn't the foul call, it was signaling that it was on Dirk when it was actually on Devis Harris.

Anybody wanna seriously debate the foul call after those 2 pieces of evidence?

efx
06-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Wade had a wonderful game he didn't get fouled on that last shot but, he's still AWESOME player. O'neal sucks lol well at free throws anyway. Dirk deserves an academy award for that flop on Haslem in OT it was brillant.

Does anyone know, will the commetators get repremanded if they talk about missed calls and so forth? I know they see alot of flopping and have to bite their tongues not to identify how bad ref's really are. I don't think the refs do it intentionally I honestly think the ref's suck in the NBA, they get swayed by the crowd, and it's sooo hard to tell if it's a flop or not. NBa needs a rule like Soccer has for flopping lol

The commentators aren't employed by the NBA so they won't be in as hot a water as players/coaches/cuban.

bulletproof
06-19-2006, 03:48 AM
The mistake the refs made wasn't the foul call, it was signaling that it was on Dirk when it was actually on Devis Harris.

Uh-hem...

http://i5.tinypic.com/14vpao0.jpg

Stryder
06-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Just because there is contact, it doesn't mean there is a foul.

D-BONE
06-19-2006, 07:46 AM
(unless you're Dirk, in which case you get to the line whether you're fouled or not)

Nowitzki went 4-5 from the line last night so I find this idea outlandish. I recall one shot where he drew a possible phantom foul.

I am not arguing the Wade calls being real or special teatment on his forays to the basket. I just don't think the above statement is accurate, at least not for last night.

I'd also add that I believe Miami could be called for a lot of fouls based on how they are defending Dirk off the ball. I believe there's no quesiton if they bodied and harassed D Wade that physically off the ball there would be a substantial number of fouls resulting. However, he's most susceptible to physical D so I give Miami credit for employing/establishing it as part ofthe flow of the game.

travmil
06-19-2006, 07:59 AM
unless you're Dirk, in which case you get to the line whether you're fouled or not

Please tell me you're joking about this? Please. Dirk took 5 foul shots, or 1/5th as many as Wade. Please tell me this is a joke. Because if you truly believe this...

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes Wade was fouled.

Why do people put forth wild theories out there when a call doesn't go the way they want.

Wade is impossible to stop so he gets fouled a lot. He went through 4 players on that last play

Pingu
06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Just because there is contact, it doesn't mean there is a foul.

So when two players push and grab a player while he is trying to go for a layup, it doesn't mean that there is a foul?

The Mavs lost because Josh Howard missed 2 FT and because he (allegedly) called a timeout at the wrong time.
If he really called that timeout, that's a huge mistake. But if he didn't call it and the Mavs have any evidence that he didn't call it, then the NBA is in trouble.

Sollozzo
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh I agree with that.

As I was watching the game the Mavs should have had a bigger lead throughout the game, they were playing well, but just couldn't get the lead they should have.

Reason why the Pacers have never won a championship: They've never had a player like Wade. Simple as that. At winning time late in close playoff games, you need a guy like that to win it all.

True.

Reggie was never that player. Reggie could take over games sometime (like game 5 against Milwaukee in 2000), but he couldn't do that all the time. Taking over like Wade did is the true definition of a clutch player. That's more clutch to me than hitting a buzzer beater.

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 09:39 AM
True.

Reggie was never that player. Reggie could take over games sometime (like game 5 against Milwaukee in 2000), but he couldn't do that all the time. Taking over like Wade did is the true definition of a clutch player. That's more clutch to me than hitting a buzzer beater.

Reggie was close and he is the main reason why the Pacers got as far as they did so many times

Slick Pinkham
06-19-2006, 10:09 AM
The only call I have doubts about is the backcourt violation non-call on Wade.

It looks like he did not establish a foot in the backcourt before catching the ball, and thus was technically in the frontcourt when he caught the ball and in the backcourt when he landed.

Here is the grainy video. Hard to tell but it looks like he caught it before entering the backcourt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qDdzU8Dxj4

FrenchConnection
06-19-2006, 10:18 AM

It looks like he did not establish a foot in the backcourt before catching the ball, and thus was technically in the frontcourt when he caught the ball and in the backcourt when he landed.

Here is the grainy video. Hard to tell but it looks like he caught it before entering the backcourt.

What is the rule on this? If he catches it in the air in the backcourt but never puts his foot down until after catching the ball, is it a violation? Because this is what happened. He never touched the ground in the backcourt until he had the ball.

Edit: even worse, after watching that video I would say that he gets the ball while still on the court in the frontcourt. It is a backcourt violation and the official was standing right there to call it.

Slick Pinkham
06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
What is the rule on this? If he catches it in the air in the backcourt but never puts his foot down until after catching the ball, is it a violation? Because this is what happened. He never touched the ground in the backcourt until he had the ball.

Yes, the rule is that you are in the court area where you last had a foot down.

If he was in the frontcourt and caught the ball without first stepping into the backcourt, and then landed in the backcourt, it should have been called a violation.

I have no problem with the foul calls, but I think that they did blow this one.

The NBA rulebook is not very clear on whether "establishing yourself in the backcourt" is necessary. That rule applies to a player coming inbounds from out of bounds, but I'm not sure that it applies in the frontcourt/backcourt scenario. I have always ASSUMED that it does.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

Section III-The Throw-In
a. The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in. He shall release the ball inbounds within 5 seconds from the time the throw-in starts. Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line and teammates shall not occupy positions parallel or adjacent to the baseline if an opponent desires one of those positions. The defensive man shall have the right to be between his man and the basket.
b. On a throw-in which is not touched inbounds, the ball is returned to the original throw-in spot.
c. After a score, field goal or free throw, the latter coming as the result of a personal foul, any player of the team not credited with the score shall put the ball into play from any point out-of-bounds at the endline of the court where the point(s) were scored. He may pass the ball to a teammate behind the endline; however, the five-second throw-in rule applies.
d. After a free throw violation by the shooter or his teammate, the throw-in is made from out-of-bounds at either end of the free throw line extended.
e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.
f. A throw-in which touches the floor, or any object on or outside the boundary line, or touches anything above the playing surface is a violation. The ball must be thrown directly inbounds.
EXCEPTION: Rule 8-Section III-c.
PENALTY: Violation of this rule is loss of possession, and the ball must be inbounded at the previous spot of the throw-in.

Shade
06-19-2006, 11:18 AM

I noticed that live, too.

UB, the NBA wants as many games as possible. Everyone knows the Heat had little chance of winning this series if they went back to Dallas down 3-2. But now they do have a chance.

Miami is a bigger market with a marketable superstar in Wade, who is Jordanesque, plus Shaq.

Stern does NOT want Cuban to win the title. Shrug that off if you like, but if there's one thing about Stern, it's that he's an egomaniac.

Concerning the "foul" at the end, routine contact like that happens on virtually every play. You don't make that weak-*** call with the freaking championship on the line.

Free throw differentials throughout this series:

Game 1 - Dallas +7
Game 2 - Miami +4
Game 3 - Miami +8
Game 4 - Miami +9
Game 5 - Miami +24

Stryder
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
So when two players push and grab a player while he is trying to go for a layup, it doesn't mean that there is a foul?

The Mavs lost because Josh Howard missed 2 FT and because he (allegedly) called a timeout at the wrong time.
If he really called that timeout, that's a huge mistake. But if he didn't call it and the Mavs have any evidence that he didn't call it, then the NBA is in trouble.

Did I say there was not a foul? No.

I merely stated a fact. That is all.

Slick Pinkham
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Apparently the common sense interpretation of the NBA rule is not correct.

Wade is NOT considered to be in EITHER the frontcourt or the backcourt UNTIL he catches the ball.

It was the correct call.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_4.html?nav=ArticleList

Section VI-Frontcourt/Backcourt
a. A team's frontcourt consists of that part of the court between its endline and the nearer edge of the midcourt line, including the basket and inbounds part of the backboard.
b. A team's backcourt consists of the entire midcourt line and the rest of the court to include the opponent's basket and inbounds part of the backboard.
c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.
d. A ball being dribbled is (1) in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the player are in the frontcourt, (2) in the backcourt if the ball or either foot of the player is in the backcourt.
e. The ball is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control.
f. The team on offense must bring the ball across the midcourt line within 8 seconds. No additional 10-second count is permitted in the backcourt.
EXCEPTION: (1) kicked ball, (2) punched ball, (3) technical foul on the defensive team, (4) delay-of-game warning on the defensive team or (5) infection control.
g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, or (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period.

-----
Shade, with regard to the foul differential, central to the Mavs strategy was to foul Shaq. Diop, Dampier, Mbenga all used their fouls frequently. The hack-a-Shaq fouls were committed by Dallas guards, usually. I bet Shaq was fouled over 20 times.

A byproduct of this strategy is putting Miami into the penalty, so that other players got to the line and there is naturally a disparity even if you ignore Shaq's FT attempts. Also Wade's jumper didn't start falling until the 4th quarter. His whole plan of attack became to attack the rim.

Sollozzo
06-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Reggie was close and he is the main reason why the Pacers got as far as they did so many times

No doubt about it.

He simply wasn't on the level of a Jordan, a Wade, or a Kobe. He didn't have their skill levels, he made the most of what he had.

Those guys wouldn't have gotten 12 pts in game 7 in Orlando in 95, or 8 points in the must win game 6 in NY in 99. If Reggie could have played in those games like he played in the 2000 playoffs, maybe the Pacers have a championship banner or 2 hanging in Conseco.

FrenchConnection
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
So what you are saying is that you need a guy that can create his own shot and knock it down at the end of games. A guy that gets the ball at the end of the game, is not going to pass and everyone knows it, and still makes something happen. In order to get that guy, you probably need to miss the playoffs for a year and get lucky in the lottery and in the draft (select the right guy, get a high pick in a good draft, etc...). How about we do this next year?

ChicagoJ
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Uh-hem...

(looks like the picture didn't quote)

Hubie Brown should be ashamed of himself for his announcing last night. It was almost as bad as John Madden in the SuperBowl. ABC does a terrible job of announcing its biggest sporting events.

Both guys fouled him - the Dirk foul was very obvious from every camera angle as Wade's body clearly changed its "flight" pattern consistent with the direction of the foul. A body in motion does not change direction without some impetus (in this case, Dirk's hand on Wade's back.)

Hubie's laughter-of-disbelief turned out to be 100% wrong.

I was also disappointed in the way Hubie sold Josh Howard "down the river" for the timeout call. You can easily see in the replays that Josh Howard is standing at the FT line, looks up, and sees his coach signalling for a timeout. So Josh called a timeout and went to the bench. Now, Avery probably did not mean for Howard to call the timeout immediately (although he could have been attempting to "ice" Wade), but the player saw his coach making the timeout gesture and followed his instructions.

THEN, and only then, did Avery Johnson begin his frantic effort to wave off the call. Avery, if you don't want your players to call timeout, then don't stand it a loud around and make the timeout gesture. Hubie - look around before you blame the players and officials for everything - sometimes the coach screws up, too. (And, as ABC has shown a lot already in 2006, sometimes the announcers screw up, too - even guys like Hubie Brown and John Madden that are great during regular season games.)

At least the guys on NBA-TV's postgame show got it right - questioning why Avery was signaling for a timeout if he didn't want his team to take one.

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
So what you are saying is that you need a guy that can create his own shot and knock it down at the end of games. A guy that gets the ball at the end of the game, is not going to pass and everyone knows it, and still makes something happen. In order to get that guy, you probably need to miss the playoffs for a year and get lucky in the lottery and in the draft (select the right guy, get a high pick in a good draft, etc...). How about we do this next year?

Or just trade our pick/Jax/Tinsley for Brandon Roy

FrenchConnection
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Or just trade our pick/Jax/Tinsley for Brandon Roy

First of all, that will not be enough to get us into the top 8 picks, which is where Roy will be drafted. Secondly, Roy will be one of the better players in this draft, but this draft does not contain a single player of the sort we are discussing here.

This being said, you can build a title team without this type of player (San Antonio and Detroit do not have a player that can dominate a game like Wade, Kobe or Jordan), but you have to employ a team concept. Not play as it a top 20 player is a top 5 player.

Mordecaii
06-19-2006, 01:19 PM
First of all, that will not be enough to get us into the top 8 picks, which is where Roy will be drafted. Secondly, Roy will be one of the better players in this draft, but this draft does not contain a single player of the sort we are discussing here.

This being said, you can build a title team without this type of player (San Antonio and Detroit do not have a player that can dominate a game like Wade, Kobe or Jordan), but you have to employ a team concept. Not play as it a top 20 player is a top 5 player.

Um... are you forgetting about Tim Duncan???

Leisure Suit Larry
06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Um... are you forgetting about Tim Duncan???

or LBJ. Duncan can't dominate anyone these days.

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 02:02 PM
or LBJ. Duncan can't dominate anyone these days.

What?

Guy was injured all season and took his team to Game 7 of what should have been the WCFs. Not to mention the fact that he's the best PF ever to play this game.

BoomBaby31
06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Uh-hem...

Since when is touching someone on the back a foul? I must of missed that, in all of my years playing basketball.

ChicagoJ
06-19-2006, 04:19 PM
:laugh:

Are you kidding me?

"Touching someone on the back"?

What happens when Dirk extends that arm?

A: Since Wade's feet aren't on the ground - he is going to change his flight pattern in the direction he's pushed.

Advantage gained = foul.

That's a no brainer.

I even yelled at Breen and Brown when they tried to pin the foul on Harris because it clearly and without question belonged to Dirk, and that's a call the officials MUST make in the last two seconds of an NBA Finals game or every offensive player is going to be pushed like that every time they jump next season.

Don't even bother going for the shot-block, just shove the guy off balance as he zips past you. :rolleyes:

You play defense with your feet, not by pushing and shoving a guy that is in the air.

Arcadian
06-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Both players fouled Wade. I thought Harris did so first.

sweabs
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Anyone remember the foul against AJ in Game 1 against the Nets?

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Anyone remember the foul against AJ in Game 1 against the Nets?

I was thinking the exact same thing

Kegboy
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Me too.