PDA

View Full Version : Who thought the Heat would make the Finals?

Young
06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I thought that after all of those changes they had no shot at making the Finals. I thought they were much more talented this year but I never thought they would have good chemistry.

Obviously I was wrong. Although I still think the Pistons should have won the series for whatever reasons they didn't. Give all the credit to the Heat.

JayRedd
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Have to say that I was pretty sure Miami was gonna win it all since they made what was maybe the most (Top 5 anyway) lopsided deal in NBA history.

I never really understood how anyone ever thought that going from a geriatric Eddie Jones, a journeyman 3-pt shooting Damon Jones and the world-renowned tag team of Keyon Dooling/Rasual Butler to Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, Gary Payton and James Posey was a bad thing.

Chemistry isn't hard when you're playing with Superman and Flash. Sure, Antoine couldn't be a "role" player in Dallas behind Antawn Jamison. But that's because Walker thought (and probably was right) that he was a better basketball player than Jamison. But when you're on the floor with guys like Wade and Shaq, it's pretty easy to see that these guys are so much better than you that accepting 3rd-option status is pretty easy, no matter your ego. Similarly, he always accepted 2nd banana status to Pierce in Boston in 4th quarters.

Kstat
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Miami made it to the finals because they're a better team than the Pistons. Not much else to say about it.

Didn't see it happening, but it did. Oh well **** happens.

Slick Pinkham
06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Nobody did, on the record, that I recall, at any point of the regular season or into the first round of the playoffs.

Late in the first round we had a poll about worst and best of the playoffs, and Riley won worst coaching job and Shaq worst performance by a star player, IIRC. After their games 3 & 4 trouble vs. Chicago, we all thought they would not see round 2.

Something changed in game 5 vs. Chicago. Then after the ease with which they sent NJ packing, coupled with Detroit's harder battle with Cleveland, I wasn't at all surprised by the Heat beating Detroit. But to honestly think they would win it, and think that before two weeks ago? Anybody who claims that is full of something. I live in south Florida and even Heat fans were not expecting this.

Big Smooth
06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
In hoops conversations with my buddy at work, we both ripped Miami up and down all season long. When the Bulls pushed them a bit, I still felt good about how I felt. When the Nets blew them out in Game 1 of the Eastern semifinals, I thought Miami's playoff season would likely end that round.

Then a funny thing happened. Miami started hitting on all cylinders. Against Detroit, they played like a team with great chemistry with all the role players such as Payton, Walker, JWill seeming to be very comfortable in those roles.

I'll give them some credit. Pat Riley too. Somehow he managed to make it work.

317Kim
06-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I never thought that Miami would make it to the finals this season. All year some friends and I would talk about this years playoffs but thought Miami would fade and eventually get eliminated in the ECF. I know they had their good streaks of winning quite of few string of games in a row but that didn't seem like they were going to go this far. I guess they like surprising people.

grace
06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Considering they had such a hard time beating the Bulls I wasn't so sure they'd beat Detroit. It certainly was a pleasant surprise. :D

ChicagoJ
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I thought they'd lose in the ECFs to Detroit, even when everyone else here was declaring this would be the Pacers' magical season.

Ron who?
06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
actually i thought last year (Reggies last) would be the pacers year... i truly didnt believe the Pacers would do nething simply because Reggie was gone... Leadership is a truly underrated quality.... stupid b@stard artest messes everything up

Moses
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I didn't choose the Heat because I hate them. I don't like Shaq at all as a basketball player. Nothing against him as a person, but I think he gets away with tons of things he shouldn't get away for. Not to mention Riley is coaching the team and then you have Fatoine...