PDA

View Full Version : Kings hire Musselman!

Kingsfanbmiller
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2468242

Thank god it's not Whisenant! I'm seriously thanking god it's not Whisenant. What do you pacer fans think of this?

sixthman
06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2468242

Thank god it's not Whisenant! I'm seriously thanking god it's not Whisenant. What do you pacer fans think of this?
Mussleman will probably do a good job. I would like to have seen him in Indiana.

rexnom
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
It goes one of two ways.

1.) Brilliant move that works out for everyone.
2.) He clashes with Artest and everything goes out the window.

I seriously hope it's the former. I think it'll work out. It's a good hire. Musselman is a good coach.

CableKC
06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
That we still have another year of Carlisle ( likely ) not taking us anywhere. :suicide:

Now we have no choice but to pray that Mario Elie remains the assitant coach on the Warriors for another year before we can make a run for him next season when Bird goes looking for another coach.

Jermaniac
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
The way Warrior fans talked about him he was just like Rick. And we all know how much Ron loved Ricky. Good luck with this.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Much better hire than Fingerhut (haha), but Musselman vs Artest is going to be entertaining.

Unclebuck
06-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Great hire

CableKC
06-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I dug up this post I made a couple of months ago about my impressions that I had about Musselman from Warrior Fans.

Below is a quick summary of what I was able to gather from their comments:

PROS:
- He is able to adapt his coaching style to changing situations
- For Non-Starters, he would play the players that earned their minutes regardles of who else was sitting on the bench.
- Believes in discipline among his players
- If given the right players, he can be a defensive-minded coach.
- He is a Quick Learner

CONS:
- Stubborn coach that could butt heads with Management and players.
- Definitely not a Players Coach
- Frustrating ( yet Odd ) substitution patterns
- poor In-Game Management
- Big Ego
- seems like he has favorites on the team

In-Between PROS and CONS ( not sure if its a good or bad thing )
- Runs a Motion Offense
- yanks players for continually making mistakes
- May have been limited due to Management interference
- Some think that Musselman would be a good coach on a team with an established roster and organizational Support for him.

Filtering through most of what was said there........towards the end of his coaching career with the Warriors.......you either hated...or loved Musselman for his coaching style.

A few highlights that are worth noting:

- Didn't really want to play DunDun in his rookie year. The rumor is that Musselman was essentially forced by Mullin to give Dunleavy significant minutes.
- Rumored to not get along with JRich. This problem....coupled with butting heads with Mullin.....is rumored to be one of the reasons why he was eventually fired.
- Didn't play Pietrus as much in his rookie and Sophmore years...unless he had to. Although many did not agree with Musselman during that time....hindsight....it looks like they agree with what he did as Pietrus did not appear to be ready that early in his career.
- Played players like Earl Boykins and Brian Cardinal ( both considered hustle and hardworking players ) in favor of other players like Gilbert Arenas or other team favorites.

Although most of the threads could be considered "informed" opinions......it will give you a good idea about Musselman. Its very possible that he will still be the same coach as he was with the Warriors.....but also possible that in the 2 years that he has been an assistant coach under Mike Fratello....he has grown a little.

The key to any coach that the Kings hire is that he simply needs to get along with Artest....to be his pal....and not get on his dark side. Adelman appeared to have done very well in that aspect. If Musselman comes out on the wrong side of Artest's darkside.....there could be problems. But given that Musselman appears to be the type of coach that rewards hard work......Artest should be okay in that manner.

Here's to letting another good coach slip away :buddies:

Young
06-02-2006, 06:40 PM
This isn't a bad hire by the Kings.

After getting rid of Aldeman, they had to go with a different type of coach and Musselman is one of the best coaches avaliable right now.

Will Galen
06-02-2006, 07:04 PM
That we still have another year of Carlisle ( likely ) not taking us anywhere. :suicide:

Now we have no choice but to pray that Mario Elie remains the assitant coach on the Warriors for another year before we can make a run for him next season when Bird goes looking for another coach.

What makes you think Bird would have chosen Musselman? Futhermore what makes you think Bird would pick Elie? He's more likely to pick Dennis Johnson if the rumors are correct.

Looking at it like that who do you want, Carlisle or Dennis Johnson?

CableKC
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
What makes you think Bird would have chosen Musselman? Futhermore what makes you think Bird would pick Elie? He's more likely to pick Dennis Johnson if the rumors are correct.

Looking at it like that who do you want, Carlisle or Dennis Johnson?

I'm not saying that Bird would have chosen either...I was saying that I would have preferred either of them over Carlisle.

wooolus
06-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Jerm, are you a Gattuso's fan? ready for the world cup?

Jermaniac
06-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Thats Mateja Kezman in my avy, I dont really watch the Italian League but Totti is one of my favorite players. Of course I'm ready for the World Cup I cant wait for it.

Hicks
06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like he gets along with the players at BEST as well as Rick Carlisle. Same with his stubborness and subtitutions. With Ron Artest there, that's bad, Kings fans. That's very bad. Pray you come out on fire next season, or else.....

CableKC
06-02-2006, 09:58 PM
As long as Artest is one of Musselman's favorites.....they should be fine.

ManicStreetPreachers
06-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Thats Mateja Kezman in my avy, I dont really watch the Italian League but Totti is one of my favorite players. Of course I'm ready for the World Cup I cant wait for it.

Kezman better have a good World Cup!!! He's been my favorite player for a while. On the day my wife told me she was pregnant I answered "Kezman scored two goals" :) (to my defense she woke me up to tell me that after I woke up at 6am to watch a game and fell back to sleep)

Good choice for the Kings. I hope it works out (to keep it on topic)

VF21
06-02-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm satisfied with this choice. And relieved it's not Whisenant.

As far as Musselman and Artest go, I'm willing to be that was a MAJOR part of his interview. I'd imagine they grilled him quite a bit about that, and probably made it clear they will expect the two to get along. Period.

The next step is for them to build a coaching staff. I personally would like to see them rehire Bubba Burbage and perhaps Elston Turner, but who knows? Musselman may be the new head coach but he is NOT going to have the arbitrary freedom Adelman enjoyed. The Maloofs bought a team with Petrie and Adelman already in place and functioning. Now they have brought in a new coach and that coach will, as the Maloofs have made clear, be expected to communicate with the Maloofs. And believe me, I'm sure the Maloofs will be keeping a very close eye on things.

CableKC
06-03-2006, 12:49 AM
As far as Musselman and Artest go, I'm willing to be that was a MAJOR part of his interview. I'd imagine they grilled him quite a bit about that, and probably made it clear they will expect the two to get along. Period.

I can see that conversation now.......

Maloofs : Before we wrap up the interview....we have to discuss something.....we have this....hmmm...how do we put it........special player....that needs special attention.

EM : Special? as in super talented and blessed with superhuman basketball powers?

Maloofs : Yes.....and no.....well....he can destroy basketball teams in a single fell swoop.....

EM: Wow.....that's amazing......

Maloofs : No....you don't understa....nevermind....we're telling you that he is speeeeeccciiiiallllllllll.

EM : that's fine.....I just wanted to let you know that I'm a real professional....I'll treat all my players the same.

Maloofs : You don't understand......speeeeccciiiialllllllll.

EM : yeah...I get it......

Maloofs : No you don't........S...P....E....C...I...A....L......we just want you to treat him like....like that kid that you always see in the special-Ed class with the helmet that runs into things with his head and break things?

EM : Okayyyyyy.......I get it....

Maloofs : Yeah....that's our Ronny-boy. Just say that you be his pal.

EM : Uhhh....sure......ok...no problem....

Maloofs : Say it....say that you will be his pal...his buddy.......

EM : :confused:

Maloofs : Say it...or you won't get the job.....

EM : okay....I will be his pal......

Maloofs : Goodie Goodie......you're hired!

EM : :rolleyes:

VF21
06-03-2006, 02:20 AM
^^Okay, maybe I'm just tired, but that just struck me as insanely funny. Is it too early to nominate a post for post of the year?

;)

Robertmto
06-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Yea. It is. And honestly i think ur tired...:cool:

grace
06-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Maloofs : No you don't........S...P....E....C...I...A....L......we just want you to treat him like....like that kid that you always see in the special-Ed class with the helmet that runs into things with his head and break things?

Since Magic Rat appears to be MIA who's gonna step up and post the picture?

VF21
06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Wow. They just held the official press conference. I can see why EM totally blew them away in the interview process. I am really happy with this choice and I think this may be our coach for the future. I have a thread at kingsfans.com with excerpts from the press conference in case anyone is interested...

It's a good day to be a Kings fan.

http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/460.gif

Shade
06-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Wow. They just held the official press conference. I can see why EM totally blew them away in the interview process. I am really happy with this choice and I think this may be our coach for the future. I have a thread at kingsfans.com with excerpts from the press conference in case anyone is interested...

It's a good day to be a Kings fan.

http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/460.gif

Musselman and Artest will not co-exist for long. I give it a full season, tops. The Kings will be forced to choose between the two eventually. Pray they make the right choice.

Not to rain on your parade or anything... ;)

pacerwaala
06-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not saying that Bird would have chosen either...I was saying that I would have preferred either of them over Carlisle.

You think Mario Ellie or Denis Johnson would have got the results(2nd round loss and 1st round loss - last two years) that Carlisle got the past two years - given the brawl, injuries and suspensions and the Ron saga.

What exactly do you see in Ellie and Johnson that you think they would have been better than Carlisle. At least Carlisle took the team he coached before this Pacers team to the conference finals. He got fired because LB was available and other Piston front office politics but other than that he did a damn fine job!

VF21
06-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Musselman and Artest will not co-exist for long. I give it a full season, tops. The Kings will be forced to choose between the two eventually. Pray they make the right choice.

Not to rain on your parade or anything... ;)

Nah. You're not raining on my parade. It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all is right with the world.

I'll worry about personality clashes ... later.

:D

Just between you and me? The press conference impressed the heck out of me. Those four men - Petrie, Joe Maloof, Gavin Maloof and Eric Musselman - are on the same page. Without trying to sound too much like a Pollyana, I think the Musselman-Artest dynamic might surprise you. Musselman stresses defense but he made it very clear he's interested in a more fluid offense, etc. This is not a dumb guy. I'm not a naive newcomer to the world of the NBA. I've followed this game for over 40 years. Eric Musselman really impresses me. There's just something in his eyes that draws you in. He's motivated, he's smart, he's HUNGRY. He wants to win and he's found just about the right owners to get the job done. In complete and total honesty, this could get very interesting, especially if we're able to address our power forward and backup point guard positions. And if the Maloofs are willing to open the purse strings again, who knows what might happen. Of course, we also have to find a way to resurrect Brad from that coma he's been in.

CableKC
06-03-2006, 11:44 PM
You think Mario Ellie or Denis Johnson would have got the results(2nd round loss and 1st round loss - last two years) that Carlisle got the past two years - given the brawl, injuries and suspensions and the Ron saga.

What exactly do you see in Ellie and Johnson that you think they would have been better than Carlisle. At least Carlisle took the team he coached before this Pacers team to the conference finals. He got fired because LB was available and other Piston front office politics but other than that he did a damn fine job!

I wasn't suggesting Dennis Johnson....just Elie. I don't know how he would really do as a coach...cuz I don't think that he has any real NBA experience. I was really impressed by the stand that he took against Baron Davis when Montgomery would cower in the corner.

I always thought that Carlisle was stubborn enough to not take cr@p from players and do what he felt was right. What some of us suspect is that he wouldn't put his foot down against players that was hurting the team by their actions then helping.

The main thing that I want is a coach that will do what he thinks is right....not be a player coach.

I will live with Carlisle coaching the team.....ONLY IF we get rid of SJax and Tinsley.....cuz I have said before that I want to see what he can do without drama on the team. If not....then we are in the same place as we were before.

Half of me thinks that if we rebuild.....somewhere in there.....replacing the coaching staff should be included in that plan.

Unclebuck
06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Why won't Artest get along with Muss, I don't understand. Muss is an intense defensive minded coach who will really push his players. Artest will like him a lot

SoupIsGood
06-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Why won't Artest get along with Muss

Because Ron is loco

Unclebuck
06-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Because Ron is loco

OK, then why don't you and everyone else just say Ron won't get along with any coach. If you believe that fine, but I don't see why Muss will be any different or worse than any other coach

SoupIsGood
06-04-2006, 12:15 AM
OK, then why don't you and everyone else just say Ron won't get along with any coach.

That is more or less what I think. They should trade Ron really.

caaprius
06-04-2006, 08:19 AM
^^Okay, maybe I'm just tired, but that just struck me as insanely funny. Is it too early to nominate a post for post of the year?

;)

my first thought was also - funniest post i've recently seen. CableKC :thumbup:

CableKC
06-04-2006, 11:48 AM
my first thought was also - funniest post i've recently seen. CableKC :thumbup:

I only aim to please. I'm just putting in my bid early to be nominated for the 2006-2007 PD "Post of the Year". :D

VF21
06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
That is more or less what I think. They should trade Ron really.

Joe and Gavin Maloof are not going to approve a trade that involves Ron Artest. It just ain't gonna happen. If the wheels fall off the wagon, that might change. For now, however, Ron has done all the right things and none of the wrong ones. He's a big part of the future of the Kings franchise in the eyes of the Maloofs.

I know, I know... you guys have been down this road.

I have to believe that maybe, just maybe he's changed. I have to believe that because I cannot handle believing otherwise. I'm a Kings fan...