PDA

View Full Version : SI: NBA Players survey- Pacers in the top 10 of preferred Teams to Play for

Frank Slade
06-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Utah not high on wish list for NBA players

By Tim Buckley
Deseret Morning News

According to a Sports Illustrated poll of 248 NBA players,

27 percent named the Jazz as the team (other than they're own) for which they would least like to play.

Toronto was second at 16 percent, followed by

Atlanta (10 percent) and

Milwaukee (six percent).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
San Antonio was picked as the team respondents would most-like to play for at 13 percent, followed by
Miami (11 percent).

The survey was completed in January, and runs in the issue of the magazine that hits news stands today.

L I N K (http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=survey+NBA+players+Utah&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t376&x=wrt&u=story.utahindependent.com/p.x/ct/9/id/5519a1b832b63749/cid/bcecd7f88c90b7a3/&w=survey+nba+players+utah&d=YP3tgzmtM35J&icp=1&.intl=us)
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Oddly enough it appears , the Utah website that posted this, has already removed it from thier site, I had to go back and find the cached story..

I could not find the actual full list though anywhere on SI.com.. curious where Indiana ranks....?

beast23
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
When someone reads the actual SI article, perhaps they can post the full rankings. Obviously, many of us would be interested in seeing where the Pacers are ranked.

Possibly, our perceptions of our abilities to attract free agents might be changed by the rankings.

rel
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
i saw this in the new issue of SI and there they didn't have the whole rankings, just the top 3 and bottom 3

Frank Slade
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey what do you know.. I found it ...!
Indiana ranks 9th..

Updated: Wednesday May 31, 2006 7:22AM
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #666 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=554 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=topper colSpan=8>SI Players Poll</TD><TR><TD class=intro colSpan=8> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=question>
Which NBA team, [B]other than your own, would you most like to play for?
</TD></TR><!-- /TOPPER --><!-- poll --><TR><TD class=poll><TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/05/30/poll.0530/poll_spurs.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=photo>Ronald Martinez/Getty Images</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>San Antonio Spurs .....13%</STRONG>
Miami Heat .....11% </STRONG>
Phoenix Suns .....10% </STRONG>
Los Angeles Lakers.....10% </STRONG>
New York Knicks .....9%</STRONG>
Dallas Mavericks .....5%</STRONG>
Detroit Pistons .....5%</STRONG>
Chicago Bulls .....5%</STRONG>
Indiana Pacers .....3%</STRONG>
Atlanta Hawks .....2%</STRONG>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=question>Least like to play for? </TD></TR><!-- /TOPPER --><!-- poll --><TR><TD class=poll><TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/05/30/poll.0530/poll_jazz2.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=photo>Brian Bahr/Getty Images</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Utah Jazz .....27%</STRONG>
Toronto Raptors .....16% </STRONG>
Atlanta Hawks .....10% </STRONG>
Milwaukee Bucks.....6% </STRONG>
New York Knicks .....5%</STRONG>
New Orleans Hornets .....4%</STRONG>
Charlotte Bobcats .....3%</STRONG>
Portland Trail Blazers .....3%</STRONG>
Boston Celtics .....3%</STRONG>
Los Angeles Lakers .....2%</STRONG>
Memphis Grizzlies .....2%</STRONG>

<TR><TD class=fastfact colSpan=8>FAST FACTS: Poll completed in January.... Then Maverick Derek Harper refused a trade to the Jazz in 1997, famously saying, "YOU go live in Utah."...The Knicks came in fifth as both the most desirable team (9%) and the least desirable (5%).... While 13.7% of Eastern Conference voters said they'd most like to play for the Lakers, only 5.6% of Western Conference respondents said the same. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/05/30/poll.0530/

Kegboy
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
9th?! Wow. Kind of blows the whole "FA's would never want to come here, so cap space isn't important" argument.

[edit] Interesting that the Knicks were 5th on both lists. Shows that NBA players are not of one mind on what's important in their career.

Jermaniac
06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
People want to play with us because of Jermaine O'Neal. Another reason not to trade JO.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
People want to play with us because of Jermaine O'Neal. Another reason not to trade JO.

LMFAO

Los Angeles
06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
9th?! Wow. Kind of blows the whole "FA's would never want to come here, so cap space isn't important" argument.

[edit] Interesting that the Knicks were 5th on both lists. Shows that NBA players are not of one mind on what's important in their career.
3% from a single unscientific survey proves that argument wrong?

Free agents generally DON'T want to come here, unless we want to pay too much for them. We grossly over pay just to keep our own FA players from leaving.

bulletproof
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM

Free agents generally DON'T want to come here, unless we want to pay too much for them. We grossly over pay just to keep our own FA players from leaving.

And if that 3% represents an unaided preference, then only 7 players out of the 248 said Indiana. Not something to jump up-and-down about.

Unclebuck
06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Players want to play for the Pacers because they know they are an excellent organization, Ownership is top notch, and Donnie Walsh is universally respected by everyone associated with the NBA, and I mean everyone.

We all know there are several things working against us in this area, and all of those things we really can't do anything about.

beast23
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM

Free agents generally DON'T want to come here, unless we want to pay too much for them. We grossly over pay just to keep our own FA players from leaving.Agreed. Only 73% of the vote is shown among the top ten teams. I was hoping that maybe the Pacers had garnered 7% or so, which would have been much more significant.

Other than the top 3-4 teams in each list, I don't think anyone can draw much conclusion to the survey.

bulldog
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Umm, 3% put us as a top choice. The Atlanta Hawks got 2%. They also finished as the third least preferred. As the Wolf said in Pulp Fiction, let's not start blanking each other's blanks here. This poll, except for maybe three or four teams, means pretty much nothing.

So, UB, although your argument may be true, this poll doesn't really prove anything. And Jermaniac, you're just hilarious.

edit: Beast beat me to it...well done, sir, well done.

Unclebuck
06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
It does seem like a very flawed poll. Maybe if they asked players to rank 1-30 where they wanted top play, we'd get a better result

Fool
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I would think the only important thing would be who's on the "Definately don't want to play there" list. As long as you're not on that, I don't think there's a defense for the "no one wants to come here" line.

Kegboy
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
We've never even tried to get a quality FA before. Who's the best FA we've ever signed? Byron Scott? Sam Perkins? All I'm saying is the way people talk about Naptown, you'd think we'd be on the Least list, and we're not, we're on the Most list. And after the last two years, I don't think you can say that's just because we've got a great team.

Los Angeles
06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, just to lay it out on the line let's describe the pros and cons of playing for the Pacers.

Team pros:
- Winning tradition/consistent playoff team.
- Knowledgable/fairly loyal fans.
- Respected organization.
- Absolutely top knotch facilities.
- You'll get a good offer (even if your name is Eddie Gill)

City Pros:
- Laid-back atmosphere.
- Can live a life outside of basketball without being hassled (unless Peck is in the bathroom with you)
- generally very nice, polite people that mean well.
- great environment to raise kids (good schools, community programs, etc.)
- Can live in a giant mansion on the same money that would get you a condo in major cities.

Team cons:
- Never won it all
- list everything that has gone wrong the last two years and ask yourself - Would you volunteer for that?

City cons:
- Not generally known as a fun place to live when you're rich and in your 20's
- Fragmented/disconnected neighborhoods and living environments.
- limited dating scene (hey, this stuff matters)
- Local atmosphere/dialect/culture requires a lot of respect, understanding and acceptance just to get used to it. Not true in larger cities, where diversity is just a part of the pastiche. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb in Indy, and I'm actually from there. I can only imagine what it's like for strangers.

-----

Now, if you were a FA and have always dreamed of "living the life", what would make you volunteer to go to Indy?

1) Money
2) Chance for a championship

If you were a FA, what would make you volunteer to go to NY?
1) Living the life
2) Being designated royalty in fabulous New York City.
3) There is no #3.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah...this survey...makes no sense the question was odd. What team would you most like to play for. Not Rank the teams you would most like to play for. aSo now all you will get is #1 answers, which could be based upon money, winning tradition, chance for a ring, or the most likely one - where you want to live- i don't really see this as having anything to do with wanting to play basketball.

rexnom
06-02-2006, 03:39 PM
I know that if someone told me that I could pick any team in the league to join and play, I'd pick Phoenix. Easy.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
And if that 3% represents an unaided preference, then only 7 players out of the 248 said Indiana. Not something to jump up-and-down about.

So which 7 non-Pacers chose Indiana?

1. Brad Miller?

Fool
06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
2. Harrington?

3. Peanut Butter? (maybe not)

4. KG? :D

grace
06-02-2006, 04:09 PM

1. Brad Miller?

2. Zach Randolph

3. Bozi Wells

Ooh. I can hardly wait! :rolleyes:

Unclebuck
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Los AngelesI feel like I stick out like a sore thumb in Indy, and I'm actually from there. I can only imagine what it's like for strangers.

[/QUOTE]

This caught my attention

Hicks
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Los Angeles, it just means you are a fruit and we're the ones who have a hold on life. ;)

Los Angeles
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Los Angeles, it just means you are a fruit and we're the ones who have a hold on life. ;)
HAHAHA.

I admit that my opinion of Indy may be a little biased. But again, I lived there as well as other places in Indiana for a long, long time.

I also have lots of conversations about it with people who have never been there. The perception of the town is certainly not the truth. If we only want to talk about what people who have never been there think about the midwest, then this conversation would go straight to the shoutbox fast.

Combine my experiences in the state with my experiences outside the state, and I think what I posted as fairly balanced.

Los Angeles
06-02-2006, 06:08 PM

1. Brad Miller?
Who said that the 7 were not Indiana players already?

What if there was no gaurantee of anonymity? I'll bet that if JO was asked where he would prefer to play, he would only give one answer. Ron made sure that no Pacer would ever again say they would prefer to play elsewhere (at least not in public).

pizza guy
06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
QUESTION:

Who said that the 7 were not Indiana players already?

What if there was no gaurantee of anonymity? I'll bet that if JO was asked where he would prefer to play, he would only give one answer. Ron made sure that no Pacer would ever again say they would prefer to play elsewhere (at least not in public).

ANSWER:

27 percent named the Jazz as the team (other than they're own) for which they would least like to play.

The only thing I'd like to add is that "they're" should be "their."

DisplacedKnick
06-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Now, if you were a FA and have always dreamed of "living the life", what would make you volunteer to go to Indy?

1) Money
2) Chance for a championship

If you were a FA, what would make you volunteer to go to NY?
1) Living the life
2) Being designated royalty in fabulous New York City.
3) There is no #3.

If you think players wouldn't come to NY for money, you haven't checked our salary cap situation lately.

Heck, we're paying out over 25 million for players who aren't playing at all and about 15 for players who are playing for other teams.

DisplacedKnick
06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Ron made sure that no Pacer would ever again say they would prefer to play elsewhere (at least not in public).

Why? Because he got paid for doing nothing for over a month?

Just what he asked for - only he got it about a year later.

If they'd sent him to Toronto or Atlanta I'd see your point.

efx
06-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I know that if someone told me that I could pick any team in the league to join and play, I'd pick Phoenix. Easy.

Rex, isn't that Ibrahimovic in your avatar?

Just wondering since it's WC time. Go sweden.

zag
06-02-2006, 07:02 PM
My question - What's wrong with the Jazz? They consistantly are on the brink of the playoffs and with a player or two are there. How can it be that much worse than Toronto, Atlanta, or the Knicks (Eeek!)?

efx
06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
My question - What's wrong with the Jazz? They consistantly are on the brink of the playoffs and with a player or two are there. How can it be that much worse than Toronto, Atlanta, or the Knicks (Eeek!)?

The fact that it's in Utah? ;)

Los Angeles
06-02-2006, 09:34 PM
First - pizza guy - thanks for pointing out that it was what OTHER team the players prefer. Didn't catch that.

If you think players wouldn't come to NY for money, you haven't checked our salary cap situation lately.

Heck, we're paying out over 25 million for players who aren't playing at all and about 15 for players who are playing for other teams.

Bad example.

How about Miami, Chicago or LA?

Why? Because he got paid for doing nothing for over a month?

Just what he asked for - only he got it about a year later.

If they'd sent him to Toronto or Atlanta I'd see your point.
I may be foolish enough to believe that the other players learned about what it can do to your current team and your reputation/value when it's time for negotiations. I also may be foolish enough to think that stuff like that matters to them. :whoknows:

pizza guy
06-03-2006, 12:09 AM
The fact that it's in Utah? ;)

Yeah, I don't understand...I mean, you can have two or three wives out there!

[/sarcasm]

Fool
06-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Salt Lake City is only a short flight away from Vegas. It really shouldn't be that unpopular. I think its probably got a lot to do with racial preconceptions. The same reason Boston is on the "don't want to play for" list (IMO).

JayRedd
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Salt Lake City is only a short flight away from Vegas. It really shouldn't be that unpopular. I think its probably got a lot to do with racial preconceptions. The same reason Boston is on the "don't want to play for" list (IMO).

I can't imagine a single 20-something, black millionaire that would want to live in Salt Lake City. It's really in a league of it's own as far as boondocks cities that have NBA teams. The other comparable NBA cities I can think of are Sacramento (at least it's in Cali), Memphis (never been there, but not sure the country music capital is that big of a draw for the typical NBA player) and Milwaukee (good beer, I guess. Not much else I know about).

And, in addition to the racist perception, I think teams like Boston are very unfavorable to many players simply because of the weather. A lot of these West Coast- and Southern-born players would probably rather play on a bad Orlando team that wins 20 games than freeze their asses off all year in Boston or Mineapolis.