PDA

View Full Version : Might as well blow it up!

Eindar
06-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I just realized that not only does Chicago own the #2 pick this year, they also have the right to trade with NYK again next year. The only thing currently holding Chicago back is their total lack of a low post offensive threat. When Michael Sweetney is your only option, you're in trouble. However, this year they're likely to add LaMarcus Aldridge (or possibly Ty Thomas). And next year's draft is LOADED, and you know the Knicks are going to stink again, barring some sort of miracle. Even if the Bulls end up with a mid lottery pick (6-10), they're likely to pick up another solid frontcourt player to go alongside whoever they draft this year. Add those two lottery picks beside Nocioni, Hinrich, Deng, and Gordon, and they're likely to dominate for a long time. And God forbid they end up getting Greg Oden with New York's pick.

Anyways, this team, as currently constructed, has little to no chance of competing with Chicago and probably Cleveland in the future. We'd be better off trading away assets for picks and planning on competing about 3-5 years from now :(

rel
06-02-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm not against the idea. Other than Granger, I wouldnt mind seeing 14 new faces on the team (partially sarcastic).

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Actually Greg Oden probably won't be great as an NBA center. He's rather skinny for a 6'11 guy. And his offensive game won''t flourish in the NBA. Most of his points in HS came from put backs w/ little opposition for the rebounds. He was playing against guys that were 6'4 or shorter. I have to see him in college to be excited.

Kegboy
06-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Sorry in advance to all the draft groupies, but this year's sucks. I'm not the least bit concerned about Chicago getting a great player this year. Granted, if they do get Oden, then Grace looks damn good in switching teams. But, while I do believe Oden is going to be that good, I'm not convinced he's coming out next year.

As for the general sentiment, I said in Peck's thread that LeBron and Wade are the future. If Chicago can get a real Big, they won't be as good, but they'll be up there.

I'd gladly blow up this team IF we were guaranteed Oden. Hell, I'd trade everybody on our roster, Rick, TPTB, David Craig, Boomer, Bowser, and the Pacemates (yes, I went there), for Oden.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Sorry in advance to all the draft groupies, but this year's sucks. I'm not the least bit concerned about Chicago getting a great player this year. Granted, if they do get Oden, then Grace looks damn good in switching teams. But, while I do believe Oden is going to be that good, I'm not convinced he's coming out next year.

As for the general sentiment, I said in Peck's thread that LeBron and Wade are the future. If Chicago can get a real Big, they won't be as good, but they'll be up there.

I'd gladly blow up this team IF we were guaranteed Oden. Hell, I'd trade everybody on our roster, Rick, TPTB, David Craig, Boomer, Bowser, and the Pacemates (yes, I went there), for Oden.

Why is everyone so high on Oden? I have him as another Kwame

rexnom
06-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Just fyi, the switch next year is #1 pick protected.

Eindar
06-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Just fyi, the switch next year is #1 pick protected.

I pulled this off of RealGM, it doesn't say anything about the pick being protected:

2007 first round draft pick from New York
Chicago has the right to swap its own 2007 1st round pick with New York’s own 2007 1st round pick, provided that New York is not obligated to trade such pick to Utah via Phoenix. If this pick is not swapped for any reason, then New York will no longer owe Chicago the right to swap any additional 1st round picks [Chicago – New York, 10/4/2005]

Eindar
06-02-2006, 04:14 AM

Well, first off, Kwame Brown is 6'10", and is a PF. Oden is 7'0" and will be a Center. Oden is considered to be more athletic than Kwame coming out.

I think if you were going to compare Oden to anybody, compare him to Dwight Howard, but increase Howard's height by a couple inches, make him more athletic, and increase his basketball IQ.

That's why people are so pumped about Oden.

rexnom
06-02-2006, 05:45 AM
I pulled this off of RealGM, it doesn't say anything about the pick being protected:

2007 first round draft pick from New York
Chicago has the right to swap its own 2007 1st round pick with New York’s own 2007 1st round pick, provided that New York is not obligated to trade such pick to Utah via Phoenix. If this pick is not swapped for any reason, then New York will no longer owe Chicago the right to swap any additional 1st round picks [Chicago – New York, 10/4/2005]
Wow...I have NO idea why I really believed that. NO idea. My bad. I'm sorry. Regardless, I don't think the Bulls are perfect. In a few years they are going to have serious problems with the cap and signing everyone on that team. They did horribly with Chandler and overpaid. Now, how can you reason not giving Nocioni, Gordon, Deng, this pick, next year's pick, and Hinrich around the same amount? Everybody will want too much money, some will leave. This is the problem of not having one star. If they are smart, they go after any available stars. I'm not nearly as worried about them as I am about the Cavs.

vapacersfan
06-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Well, first off, Kwame Brown is 6'10", and is a PF. Oden is 7'0" and will be a Center. Oden is considered to be more athletic than Kwame coming out.

I think if you were going to compare Oden to anybody, compare him to Dwight Howard, but increase Howard's height by a couple inches, make him more athletic, and increase his basketball IQ.

Not to mention Kwame always had the knock on him on not liking to work hard.

I admit I dont know much about this kid from LN, but from what I have read (and my last ish of Dime Magazine) it sounds like the kid is a good kid and always trying to improve his game.

thats more then we can say about Kwame.

Kegboy
06-02-2006, 05:46 AM

That's the key right there. The kid's got the best post footwork I've ever seen from someone even close to how young he is. The kid just knows how to play, which is damn rare for a Big.

BlueNGold
06-02-2006, 07:09 AM

Oden reminds me more of Hakeem Olajuwan. He can run the floor, has solid fundamentals and is a true seven footer. He may actually turn out to be more physically dominant.

...and I don't think he is a mental void like Kwame, but I also don't know what intangibles he might bring such as leadership and passion (Lebron-like characteristics).

I bet he makes an immediate impact. I think the year in college will help him develop further and gain confidence playing against much better players.

grace
06-02-2006, 08:41 AM

There are a lot of reasons, but this is as good a place to start as any.

http://www.gregoden.com/gregoden082905.htm

His combination of size (legit 7'0), strength (solid 240 lbs.) and athleticism (impressive leaping ability and lateral quickness) are unmatched by any 7 footer not wearing an NBA jersey. Greg Oden exhibits excellent quickness and timing in his attempts to block shots, combined with long arms which allow him to alter shot of virtually every opposing player that comes into the paint. His strength enables him to get low post position almost every time on the blocks at the high school level, often resulting in a slam dunk, lay-up, or free throw attempt. The Indianapolis native has a frame which could easily add another 30 or so pounds, boasting a well proportioned body and broad shoulders.

rexnom
06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah, Oden is LeBron-big or Duncan-big. Franchise changer.

PacerMan
06-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I just realized that not only does Chicago own the #2 pick this year, they also have the right to trade with NYK again next year. The only thing currently holding Chicago back is their total lack of a low post offensive threat. When Michael Sweetney is your only option, you're in trouble. However, this year they're likely to add LaMarcus Aldridge (or possibly Ty Thomas). And next year's draft is LOADED, and you know the Knicks are going to stink again, barring some sort of miracle. Even if the Bulls end up with a mid lottery pick (6-10), they're likely to pick up another solid frontcourt player to go alongside whoever they draft this year. Add those two lottery picks beside Nocioni, Hinrich, Deng, and Gordon, and they're likely to dominate for a long time. And God forbid they end up getting Greg Oden with New York's pick.

Anyways, this team, as currently constructed, has little to no chance of competing with Chicago and probably Cleveland in the future. We'd be better off trading away assets for picks and planning on competing about 3-5 years from now :(

Right, cuz EVERY lottery pick turns out to be a mega star!!! (intense sarcasm)
Why just look at Bender for proof of that!

brs14ku
06-02-2006, 10:01 AM

and decrease his strength by a whole lot.

Gamble
06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is that Oden hasn't had
Centers pound the crap out of him. He might be a difference maker
but I want to see him go against college centers before I drop the
do anything to get him comment.

SoupIsGood
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
I'd gladly blow up this team IF we were guaranteed Oden.
Heck yes! Oden will be amazing.

Hmm, just looking at next year...

These teams all have a good chance of being better than us, IF no major changes are made to our roster.

Detroit
Miami
New Jersey
Cleveland
Chicago
Orlando

Which puts us at being hopefuls for the 7th spot. :(

Maybe it is time to blow it up

SoupIsGood
06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Heck yes! Oden will be amazing.

Hmm, just looking at next year...

These teams all have a good chance of being better than us, IF no major changes are made to our roster.

Detroit
Miami
New Jersey
Cleveland
Chicago
Orlando

Which puts us at being hopefuls for the 7th spot. :(

Maybe it is time to blow it up

Oops, maybe add Washington to that list.

If those seven teams all pan out, and then there is just ONE surprise team in the East, we're looking at being a lotto team even without blowing it up.

I could really get behind a youth movement right now.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is that Oden hasn't had
Centers pound the crap out of him. He might be a difference maker
but I want to see him go against college centers before I drop the
do anything to get him comment.

Exactly. Oden was playing against other "centers" who he had at least 6 inches on, easily, and every game. During an AAU game and or practice, i forget, Josh McRoberts dominated him. His stats in HS were inflated due to the incredible difference in size, strength, etc. When he played in the McDonalds game against ppl as big and as good as him he only scored 10 points and had 5 rebounds. His one bright sppot being 4 blocks. So until I see him dominate the Big 10, i'm not on the bandwagon.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Oops, maybe add Washington to that list.

If those seven teams all pan out, and then there is just ONE surprise team in the East, we're looking at being a lotto team even without blowing it up.

I could really get behind a youth movement right now.

Washington should be added to the list. And depending on their draft pick, Philly should be to.

SoupIsGood
06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Exactly. Oden was playing against other "centers" who he had at least 6 inches on, easily, and every game. During an AAU game and or practice, i forget, Josh McRoberts dominated him. His stats in HS were inflated due to the incredible difference in size, strength, etc. When he played in the McDonalds game against ppl as big and as good as him he only scored 10 points and had 5 rebounds. His one bright sppot being 4 blocks. So until I see him dominate the Big 10, i'm not on the bandwagon.

You could say the same thing about any physically gifted high school player. None of them dominated in the way that he did.

Christ, three straight championships? He's going to be good.

A McDonalds all-star game is not a game in which you judge a player like Oden.

wooolus
06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
He played Josh McRobert on my team, and I personally played against him... kid is an *** on the court, talks a lot, but he is damn good. And incase you didn't know, Josh McRobert was the number 1 ranked HS player last year and starting for Duke right now... P.S. he has a chance of coming out next year also.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM

This is some of the funniest stuff ever posted on this forum.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Actually my favorite post in this thread is the one where you said that Oden was too small..thats good stuff. He's the most physically prepared center to come out of the high school ranks since Shaq..and its not even close.

Are you referring to this game?

http://www.breakdownmagazine.com/dailybreakdown/index.cfm?textID=1378

Greg Oden & Josh McRoberts Face Off
by Staff on February 05, 2005

Greg Oden (pictured top) won the battle and the war Friday night against Josh McRoberts’ (Pictured bottom) Carmel high team. Oden scored 20 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and had 3 blocks as he lead Lawrence North (IN) to a victory over Carmel (IN). Lawrence North improved to 13-2 and Carmel dropped to 14-3. McRoberts finished with 12 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 4 assists.

Duke signee McRoberts has been in a scoring slump the last four games averaging 10 points. The 10 points is 7 less than his season average. On the other hand, Oden has almost doubled McRobert’s production averaging 21 points in his last four games.

Lawrence North junior point guard Mike Conly returned to the court for the first time since Jan 4th. He scored 14 points and dished out 4 assists. Oden, McRoberts, and Conley were all teammates for the nations top summer team Spiece Indy Heat.
Copyright © 2003 by the author or BreakdownMagazine.com

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Actually my favorite post in this thread is the one where you said that Oden was too small..thats good stuff. He's the most physically prepared center to come out of the high school ranks since Shaq..and its not even close.

Greg Oden (pictured top) won the battle and the war Friday night against Josh McRoberts’ (Pictured bottom) Carmel high team. Oden scored 20 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and had 3 blocks as he lead Lawrence North (IN) to a victory over Carmel (IN). Lawrence North improved to 13-2 and Carmel dropped to 14-3. McRoberts finished with 12 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 4 assists.

Duke signee McRoberts has been in a scoring slump the last four games averaging 10 points. The 10 points is 7 less than his season average. On the other hand, Oden has almost doubled McRobert’s production averaging 21 points in his last four games.

Lawrence North junior point guard Mike Conly returned to the court for the first time since Jan 4th. He scored 14 points and dished out 4 assists. Oden, McRoberts, and Conley were all teammates for the nations top summer team Spiece Indy Heat.

No as a matter of fact I wasn't. I was talking about a summer league game. And when did i say he was too small??? I said he was skinny for a 6'11 guy, never said he was small. And BTW SIG he has 3 straight class championships, I'm not sure if he could have won 3 straight state championships. Probably, but maybe not.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I'll take it a step further. I'd say its extremely likely that I've seen both Oden and McRoberts play in person more than 99% of the forum regulars combined.

McRoberts - Not going to take anything away from him due to his personality, because he's a good player. I think he'll be solid-good pro. Nothing spectacular but he might make 2-3 all-star games in his career. Don't ever forget that he could not get his team out of sectionals one single time in high school, though. For being bigger than everyone else, he could not dominate to the point that he could carry his team come tournament time.

Oden - This is easily the best big man I've ever seen put on a uniform in high school. I've coached, reffed, scouted and played with nearly every big-time player thats come out of Indiana and the Dayton/Cincy/Columbus area over the last 10 years. For those that haven't gotten to see him often, or against top competition, just pop in tape of David Robinson. He's literally the second-coming of the Admiral.

Best traits:

*Superior shot-blocking instincts. The best I've ever seen from someone not named Olajuwon, Robinson, Mutumbo, or Mourning (and I'm talking about them in the NBA vs him right now) Almost never leaves his feet early. I've seen him get pump-faked a handful of times over the last 4 years and thats it.

*Extremely humble and hard-working. This is a kid thats been "can't-miss" since he was 15 and there's never been a time where I've thought it went to his head. I've heard maybe 1-2 "unkind" words about him through the years compared to the hundreds of great stories about him and the dozen or so times I've personally interacted with him. He's also worked extremely hard on his game...to the point where he can break down his strengths and weaknesses as well as any scout.

*In phenomenal shape. He's worked hard on his body as well and he's got a very solid physique that will only get bigger/stronger in his year at OSU. He's physically ready to compete in the NBA right now..and after a year of getting top-flight conditioning at OSU, he'll be ready to dominate on the defensive-end almost as soon as he steps on an NBA court

Weakness:

Offensive game isn't great, by any means. Has worked a lot on his baby hook and is starting to show a penchant for knocking down an elbow jumper, but he's still 2-3 years away from being a 2nd or 3rd option on an NBA team. However, his stroke from the FT line is outstanding and I'm fairly certain that he'll wind up a solid-good player on the offensive end..combine that with his size and he'll be somewhat of an offensive force in 4-5 years.

shags
06-02-2006, 05:51 PM

I was at that game. The stats don't tell the story of how much Oden dominated him. McRoberts had ONE basket, a 3 pointer when Oden wasn't on him, and nine free throws. Oden might be the best HS defensive player ever.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
And BTW SIG he has 3 straight class championships, I'm not sure if he could have won 3 straight state championships. Probably, but maybe not.

Thats the most uneducated comment you've made in this thread, and thats saying something. Please show me a class A, AA, or AAA team that would have beaten LN the past 3 years in the tournament.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Thats the most uneducated comment you've made in this thread, and thats saying something. Please show me a class A, AA, or AAA team that would have beaten LN the past 3 years in the tournament.

I said maybe, maybe meaning one of the better lower class teams that spreads the floor with 4 and 5 jump shooters. If you place 5 good shooters on the floor and you shoot all game you have a chance of beating LN. You take Odens defense away by not slashing or feeding the post. Two of the better perimeter defends, Conley and Windham, can't guard the other four players. You have a chance and heaving enuff J's and beating LN.

Chauncey
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I said maybe, maybe meaning one of the better lower class teams that spreads the floor with 4 and 5 jump shooters. If you place 5 good shooters on the floor and you shoot all game you have a chance of beating LN. You take Odens defense away by not slashing or feeding the post. Two of the better perimeter defends, Conley and Windham, can't guard the other four players. You have a chance and heaving enuff J's and beating LN.

In theory an elephant can hang by his tail from a dandelion off the side of a cliff.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
In theory an elephant can hang by his tail from a dandelion off the side of a cliff.

OMG, why couldn't that have worked?

pizza guy
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Let's see him in the Big 10, then judge. It's a much different story when you have people the same size playing against you, as opposed to the 6'4" guys that Oden has dominated in HS.

It's not that I don't believe his dominance, or his potential for that matter. There's a difference between the HS game, the college game, and the NBA. Until he makes those adjustments and improvements, he's just as unproven as Bender.

Robertmto
06-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Let's see him in the Big 10, then judge. It's a much different story when you have people the same size playing against you, as opposed to the 6'4" guys that Oden has dominated in HS.

It's not that I don't believe his dominance, or his potential for that matter. There's a difference between the HS game, the college game, and the NBA. Until he makes those adjustments and improvements, he's just as unproven as Bender.

He is correct. The Big 10 is probably the best conference to judge him in to. He'll have to go up against inside centers like DJ White and jump shooting centers like the entire Minnesota team. I really need to see his versaitility.

rexnom
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
North Central?

Oh, who am I kidding...they always beat us...oh well. E.J.'s time will come next year.

Lord Helmet
06-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't really want to "blow it up", rather just make some player changes. I don't believe we need to start over. Doing that instantly makes us lottery bound, IMO.

I think we need some player changes, yes. I also think we need a new offense. Rick can change the offense, just like what was talked about in another thread, I believe. Rick was the offensive coordinator of the 2000 Finals team.

He can change the offense somewhat, to our players abilities. So I vote no to the blow it up campaign.

pizza guy
06-03-2006, 12:26 AM
This is such a strange topic, because I see both sides and I can't disagree with either.

Sure, a couple changes to our squad could put us back into contention, maybe.

But, with players like LeBron, DWade, and Dwight Howard (oh yeah, and that Arenas guy) all coming up and headed straight for "Ludacris Speed" who will lead their teams to the top in the not-so-distant furture, I can understand just giving up for a few years and taking our time to get a really good team.

Wait, re-read what I just wrote, but highlight the "just giving up" part. Doesn't sound so feasible now, does it?

Eindar
06-03-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't really want to "blow it up", rather just make some player changes. I don't believe we need to start over. Doing that instantly makes us lottery bound, IMO.

I think we need some player changes, yes. I also think we need a new offense. Rick can change the offense, just like what was talked about in another thread, I believe. Rick was the offensive coordinator of the 2000 Finals team.

He can change the offense somewhat, to our players abilities. So I vote no to the blow it up campaign.

I just want how we plan on competing with Chicago, Washington, Cleveland, Miami, possibly Boston, possibly Orlando, and possibly New Jersey. That's 7 teams that, in my opinion will be at least as good as us over the course of the next decade, given that we keep the team as currently constructed. Barring some sort of draft day miracle for us, a completely one-sided trade, or some horrid career-ending injuries (God forbid), I just don't see how we can run with those teams in the present or in the near future without dipping into the lottery to reload, be it due to acquiring picks via trade or just being plain awful.

I want to know what makes Pacers fans think they're so special that their franchise need never be bad in order to win a championship...

Robertmto
06-03-2006, 01:45 AM
But, with players like LeBron, DWade, and Dwight Howard (oh yeah, and that Arenas guy) all coming up and headed straight for "Ludacris Speed" who will lead their teams to the top in the not-so-distant furture, I can understand just giving up for a few years and taking our time to get a really good team.

I'd really like to know why Washington and Arenas is always a last second addition to these posts. lol.

Putnam
06-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I just want how we plan on competing with Chicago, Washington, Cleveland, Miami, possibly Boston, possibly Orlando, and possibly New Jersey. That's 7 teams that, in my opinion will be at least as good as us over the course of the next decade . . . . I want to know what makes Pacers fans think they're so special that their franchise need never be bad in order to win a championship...

The "plan" is to go from year to year hoping that the Pacers will finally be as good as they would have been last year if only they hadn't turned out to be worse. Sheer, blind optimism.

It's pathetic.

Mourning
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I just want how we plan on competing with Chicago, Washington, Cleveland, Miami, possibly Boston, possibly Orlando, and possibly New Jersey. That's 7 teams that, in my opinion will be at least as good as us over the course of the next decade, given that we keep the team as currently constructed. Barring some sort of draft day miracle for us, a completely one-sided trade, or some horrid career-ending injuries (God forbid), I just don't see how we can run with those teams in the present or in the near future without dipping into the lottery to reload, be it due to acquiring picks via trade or just being plain awful.

I want to know what makes Pacers fans think they're so special that their franchise need never be bad in order to win a championship...

I wrote some posts about this a few weeks ago too, I agree totally with you. Where the hell are we going to get the talent that we will need to compete? Especially since we are in the position of having to give up talent because of those talents having bad attitudes. Does anyone really think another team is going to give up a nice talent from their own team who doesn't have a problem? Sure, maybe we get a really good player, but then the price would probably be a killer contract or something else that mutilates our further possibilities to improve the team.

Draft picks? With the way we are playing? Thats not nearly going to cut it. We will be getting picks between 10-16. And those kind of picks are going to land you a real starplayer only once in I don't know how many years, but it's a lot of years I do know that.

Then we have two monster contracts. One which will expire after next season (finally) and one that will continue for quite somewhile. JO better produce next year and play a lot of games, because his salary is another migitating factor against us. Then to sweeten it all there's Tinsley's contract thats going to run on for ages.

Blow it up! This summer and if not this summer then the next. We aren't going to cut it, has nothing to do with "giving up".

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

PacerMan
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
You could say the same thing about any physically gifted high school player. None of them dominated in the way that he did.

Christ, three straight championships? He's going to be good.

A McDonalds all-star game is not a game in which you judge a player like Oden.

Sorry, but that's just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong. There are tons, and I mean thousands or high school players that were every bit as dominant.

That TEAM would have been a state finalist WITHOUT Oden, awesome talent, a very big high school (numbers) isn't it?

Oden may or may not be a star at the nba level. He'll definately have a long career on his shot altering ability.

Chauncey
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but that's just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wrong. There are tons, and I mean thousands or high school players that were every bit as dominant.

That TEAM would have been a state finalist WITHOUT Oden, awesome talent, a very big high school (numbers) isn't it?

Oden may or may not be a star at the nba level. He'll definately have a long career on his shot altering ability.

THey wouldn't have made it past regionals without Oden.

rexnom
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
THey wouldn't have made it past regionals without Oden.
Can I just throw in my beloved North Central here? No? Ok. I'll shut up.