PDA

View Full Version : gotta love the accuracy of espn

BigDawg44
05-30-2006, 01:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/photos?photoId=1172416&gameId=260529014

maybe it is just me, but there is something wrong in the picture. my question is how can darko be on the pistons bench when he is on the magic....maybe his is just supporting his ex team

Pacersfan.
05-30-2006, 01:47 AM
You also have to love the unidentified player ....or that the writer's just too lazy to go back and look at last year's roster.

8.9_seconds
05-30-2006, 01:49 AM
You also have to love the unidentified player ....or that the writer's just too lazy to go back and look at last year's roster.

Haha, I was thinking that also.

Kstat
05-30-2006, 02:31 AM
Lindsey Hunter=unidentified player :laugh:

Brian
05-30-2006, 03:04 AM
It was the same way on yahoo!...unless yahoo uses the same pics as espn.

Robertmto
05-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Thats not Darko Milicic, its Carlos Delfino! This Guy is a DUMBASS!

317Kim
05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
:lmao: Wow. Just wow.

btw, Yahoo uses a lot of the same pictures as ESPN.

Kegboy
05-30-2006, 09:02 AM
And the lesson, as always, is ESPN sucks.

Stryder
05-30-2006, 10:44 AM
ESPN, The Ocho

Since86
05-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Hate to break the ESPN bashing up, but if you notice down at the bottom where it says "(AP Photo/Luis Alvarez)," that would show they got it off of the AP wire.

ESPN had nothing to do with that photo, other than choosing to place it on their website.

grace
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Since they chose to put the picture on the website they could have chosen to identify the players accurately.

Since86
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Glad to know I'm not on the famed ban list!!

If it makes you feel any better, it's been corrected.

Kraft
05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
I work with AP photos all the time. If in fact the Web site did take the attached cutline, it should be said that the cutlines accompanying AP photos are notoriously wretched. Bad writing, bad style, bad spelling, bad identification.

A couple weeks ago, the AP passed a story on Adam LaRoche and his ADD. The photo service passed an accompanying photo. It was Ryan Langerhans. This stuff happens all the time.

But aside from all that ... get over it. With the expansive nature of of ESPN's coverage, this sort of stuff is bound to happen. Unless it's major, which this most certainly is not, crucifying ESPN for this is just silly.

Want to rip on the network? Try ripping the opinions they allow to be voiced, not some miniscule copy editing error on a deep inside Web page.

Kraft
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
BTW, here is the verbatim cutline the AP sent with this photo:

Detroit Pistons' Rasheed Wallace, right, Ben Wallace, Darko Milicic and an unidentified player, left, sit on the bench during the last seconds of the fourth quarter of Game 4 of the Eastern Conference basketball finals at the American Airlines Arena Monday, May 29, 2006, in Miami. The Heat defeated the Pistons 89-78. They lead the series 3-1.

Kraft
05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
A few examples of what the AP believes a cutline should look like ...

... compare this to what you actually see in a newspaper or Web site.

Colorado Rockies' Brad Hawpe is out sliding into third as umpire Jerry Crawford watches San Diego Padres' Mark Bellhorn apply the tag in the eighth inning of their baseball game Monday May 29, 2006, in San Diego. Hawpe tried to tag up after a fly ball and was thrown out by the Padres' center fielder Mike Cameron.

Britain's Andy Murray, lying on the clay, is being treated by an unidentified man as he plays France's Gael Monfils in their first round match of the French Open tennis tournament, Tuesday May 30, 2006 at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris.

One of my favorite mistakes: teammate.

Washington Nationals' Damian Jackson (2) is congratulated by teamate Wiki Gonzalez after hitting a solo home run against the Houston Astros during the fifth inning of their baseball game on Tuesday, May 23, 2006, in Washington.

Here, the country identification. Trust me: Luol Deng is from the Sudan and Ben Gordon is from England. The AP told me so.

Carolina Hurricanes' Martin Gerber (29), of Switzerland, catches the shot of Buffalo Sabres' Daniel Briere (48), during the first period of Game 5 of the NHL Eastern Conference hockey final, Sunday, May 28, 2006, in Raleigh, N.C.

FrenchConnection
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
A few examples of what the AP believes a cutline should look like ...

... compare this to what you actually see in a newspaper or Web site.

One of my favorite mistakes: teammate.

Here, the country identification. Trust me: Luol Deng is from the Sudan and Ben Gordon is from England. The AP told me so.

I know that it was a mistake, but I still wish that Gerber has not caught that one.:)

Back to the ESPN bashing. All year, they had a player "Peter Ratchuk" playing and scoring for the Sabres in their box scores. We once had this player in our minor league system, but he never made the NHL club. I think that he is playing somewhere in europe now, but he certainly never suited up for the Sabres. However, he shared a number with current Sabre Dimitri Kalinin. I know that they dropped hockey but they should be able to get get the players names and numbers right for any sport for which they bother to post box scores.

Shade
05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
3rd grade essay on what you did over the summer > kindergarten finger painting > ESPN.com