PDA

View Full Version : LeBron and Amare's moms out of control

Hicks
05-28-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060527/SPORTS0403/605270415/1004/SPORTS

May 27, 2006

nba notebook
LeBron's mom pleads 'no contest' in case

The mother of Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James pleaded no contest and was found guilty of four charges after her SUV nearly hit an unmarked police vehicle and she kicked a window of a patrol car.

Gloria James, 38, pleaded no contest in Akron (Ohio) Municipal Court to reckless operation, speeding, disorderly conduct and a reduced count -- originally drunken-driving -- of physical control of a motor vehicle under the influence. A fifth count of damaging police property was dismissed.

Judge Lynne Callahan suspended all but three days of a six-month jail term and said the three remaining days can be served by taking a class on the dangers of drugs and alcohol use. Her license was suspended until Jan. 20.
James also must perform 100 hours of community service, pay more than $400 in fines and costs and pay for $150 in damage to the police cruiser.

Prison time in DUI case
The mother of Suns star Amare Stoudemire was sentenced to three years in prison in a drunken driving case.

Carrie Mae Stoudemire, who appeared in court wearing a black-and-white prison uniform and donning blond dreadlocks, was arrested in October after crashing into a barricade on Interstate 10 in Phoenix.

Amare Stoudemire, a power forward with the Suns, has been out for all but three games this season because of a knee injury. He was not in court Friday.

Carrie Mae Stoudemire was charged with two counts of aggravated DUI. At the time, the 50-year-old woman was on probation for two previous counts of aggravated DUI from a 2003 case in Phoenix.

She entered a guilty plea this month to one count of felony DUI, and the second charge was dropped under terms of a plea deal.

Shade
05-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Just goes to show that no matter how much money you have, you're still not immune from being a dumbass.

Lord Helmet
05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Damn.

Swingman
05-28-2006, 11:47 PM
How did Lebron's mom get off so easy? Amare's mom got the book thrown at her and Lebron's mom got community service and a few fines?

beast23
05-29-2006, 12:15 AM
How did Lebron's mom get off so easy? Amare's mom got the book thrown at her and Lebron's mom got community service and a few fines?Different states have different standards. Also, Amare's mom had a couple of pretty serious priors without any hint of reform. I got a hunch that if Lebron's mom goes out and gets another DUI while her license is suspended, her immediate future would be toast as well.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-29-2006, 03:38 AM
Ouch, that's rough for Amare's Mom.

Stryder
05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Ouch, that's rough for Amare's Mom.

That is what happens when you make the choice to become a repeat offender.

8.9_seconds
05-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't think that Amare was that close to his mom though, was he? I think I read that in a 2003 issue of ESPN, I could have gotten it mixed up though..

efx
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I don't think that Amare was that close to his mom though, was he? I think I read that in a 2003 issue of ESPN, I could have gotten it mixed up though..

I believe it's his dad he's not close to.

microwave_oven
05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
This isn't anyone's business. If my mother did this it wouldn't make national news. It isn't the athlete's fault that their mother makes destructive decisions, so why punish them by sullying their name in the newspaper. If Lebron and Amare had nothing to do with it, then they shouldn't be in the headline.

You would never read: "College student, microwave_oven's mother, easy-bake_oven was arrested for overcooking and resisting clean-up today. Microwave is currently a culinary student and has nothing to do with his mother's arrest, but we thought we would throw his name in here anyway. Mrs. Oven has pleaded no contest, and is expected to sponsor a local bake sale to raise money for radiation awareness, part of her community service."

Robertmto
05-30-2006, 03:43 AM
This isn't anyone's business. If my mother did this it wouldn't make national news. It isn't the athlete's fault that their mother makes destructive decisions, so why punish them by sullying their name in the newspaper. If Lebron and Amare had nothing to do with it, then they shouldn't be in the headline.

You would never read "College student, microwave_oven's mother, easy-bake_oven was arrested for overcooking and resisting clean-up today. Microwave is currently a culinary student and has nothing to do with his mother's arrest, but we thought we would throw his name in here anyway. Mrs. Oven has pleaded no contest, and is expected to sponsor a local bake sale to raise money for radiation awareness, part of her community service."

2007 Post of the Year?

Fool
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM

You would never read "College student, microwave_oven's mother, easy-bake_oven was arrested for overcooking and resisting clean-up today. Microwave is currently a culinary student and has nothing to do with his mother's arrest, but we thought we would throw his name in here anyway. Mrs. Oven has pleaded no contest, and is expected to sponsor a local bake sale to raise money for radiation awareness, part of her community service."

Of course its the public's business, there is no privacy issue here. The athlete isn't being punished and the only one's sullying their names are their mothers, not the people reporting what happens in our societies courts of law.

And yes, there probably would have been a write-up somewhere had either of these been about you or some other random nobody.

microwave_oven
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Of course its the public's business, there is no privacy issue here. The athlete isn't being punished and the only one sullying their name is their mothers, not the people reporting what happens in our societies courts of law.

And there probably would have been a write-up somewhere had either of these been about you or some other random nobody.

I think you missed the point---It isn't that they didn't deserve to get their name in the news, I agree that the mother's got what they deserve. However, the athlete's name should not be used just to make a national headline. The athlete didn't commit the crime, so why should they be part of the article. The police reports are the only headline this should have been under, with no mention of Lebron or Amare.

Fool
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I didn't miss the point. The article wasn't about the players it was about the moms just as the story wasn't about the players, it was about their moms. Notable facts are always reported about those people who are a part of the story being reported (its called good reporting) and the notable facts about these two women were that they gave birth to NBA players. Its the opening sentence in the report on the Sports page because it explains why its on the sports page.

Of course it can also go under the Sports page, they are the mothers of two sports figures. Should Reggie's house fire only been mentioned in the home and garden section? Is the Sports section allowed to mention when an athlete dies or is that only for the obituaries? Did you object when ESPN reported on Pat Riley's mom passing?

microwave_oven
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
You are taking something criminal, and comparing it to something completely legitimate.

When a player dies, it is in the newspaper because of remembrance and honoring the players legacy.

When Reggie's house was on fire, that is reporting the news...it was his house, he didn't do anything wrong, so it wouldn't be embarrassing to him. When my friend's house caught fire it made the news also. People poured out their money, time and resources to help rebuild his family's home. That is way it made the paper, to help the family.

When Pat Riley's mother died, it was reported why he was absent from games, that is legit sports news. Lebron and Amare didn't miss games because of their mothers. So their was no reason to report it.

All these articles are doing is trying to make the front page by someone else's suffering, and I, for one, am disgusted by it. The players did not give their mother's the alcohol, nor did they make the decisions that their mother's made. So why should they be part of news that has absolutely nothing to do with them? Like I said, it is just some Joe Schmo trying to make the front page by exploiting innocent people who happen to have name recognition. Absolutely disgusting.

Fool
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Even if Riley hadn't missed games, it would have been just as "legitimate" to report it.

Its not always the case that a player dying makes the news in hopes of "rememberance and honoring" their "legacy".

Why is Reggie's house being burned down "reporting the news" but two players moms being sentenced "something criminal"?

These articles are reporting the news. Things that happen in the world of sports players is sports news. I'm sure the people who wrote the stories are always trying to make the front page like all good reporters should. The stories aren't slanderous to the players, why do you see them as "absolutely disgusting"? If the stories were positive but just as non-sports news worthy (in your view of what is sports news worthy) would they be equally "absolutely disgusting"?

microwave_oven
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
When someone uses the fame of another to exploit them for something they didn't do, that is what is disgusting.

When the news condones someone who had nothing to do with the crime, that itself is criminal.

There was no reason for their names to be in those articles. Period.

Fool
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
When someone uses the fame of another to exploit them for something they didn't do, that is what is disgusting.

When the news condones someone who had nothing to do with the crime, that itself is criminal.

There was no reason for their names to be in those articles. Period.

Who is "condoning" anyone or anything?

I suppose you could call adding the names of famous people to your story "exploiting" them if its completely irrelevant or unrelated but part of the story about a person (the players' moms) is explaining who they are (like when a story will say "Jane Doe, ad executive for <enter company name here>, drove into a light pole yesterday.") these women happen to be the mothers of two famous young men, hence the news story mentioning it.

Without details, a newspaper is more aptly called a spread sheet.

microwave_oven
05-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I would normally agree with that, but in this particular case, they are strictly using Lebron's fame to get their news on the cover.

Why else would the headline read; "Lebron's mom pleads 'no contest' in case"?

Perhaps a title like the one on Amare's mother is more appropriate, not saying it is right, but why else would Lebron's name be the only name in the headline?

However with Amare's, I guess I now understand where you are coming from. But do you honestly believe that Lebron's isn't used strictly to get on the cover page?

Slick Pinkham
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Newspapers try to sell more copies. They will use any name they can to do that.

If it were the mom of Dick Cheney, Dan Quayle, Hillary Clinton, Michael Jackson, Arnold Swartzenegger, Tom Cruise, Madonna, David Letterman, or any other among 1000 recognizable names, they would also run with it right in the title.

I'm not saying it's right, just that it has nothing to do with LeBron being an athlete per se, just that he is somebody who even your grandma probably has heard of.

Fool
05-31-2006, 09:08 AM
I would normally agree with that, but in this particular case, they are strictly using Lebron's fame to get their news on the cover.

Why else would the headline read; "Lebron's mom pleads 'no contest' in case"?

Perhaps a title like the one on Amare's mother is more appropriate, not saying it is right, but why else would Lebron's name be the only name in the headline?

However with Amare's, I guess I now understand where you are coming from. But do you honestly believe that Lebron's isn't used strictly to get on the cover page?

I believe the one about Lebron's mom was handled by a better editor who knew what angle of the story would attract more attention. Yes I do believe they used his name to get as much attention as possible but no I don't think its wrong to do so. Its not gossip, its not factually incorrect, and there doesn't seem to be an overt bias against the young man from the story.

Reading that little snippet of a story I think, "Wow, his mother was pretty out of control on a bender. Its all the more impressive that with the spot lights constantly on him, I can't recall a moment where I've seen lebron out of control." I also think its rather sad to have a mother who would act that way.

I don't see anything about the report that really bothers me but we all view things differently.

microwave_oven
05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Agreed

It is my belief that no writer should ever use a famous name just to get the readers attention, when that person has nothing to do with crime. To me it is the same as making the headline "Free Beer" and then the article having nothing to do with free beer. It was just used to grab the attention of the reader.