PDA

View Full Version : Arenas & Storey Arrested In Miami Beach

sweabs
05-28-2006, 04:32 PM
f

Shade
05-28-2006, 04:46 PM
As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate."

I hope this is a lie.

Big Smooth
05-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I hope this is a lie.

Hey he was being a good teammate! LOL!

Doesn't surprise me, pro athletes like most famous people tend to develop a disconnect with reality.

Will Galen
05-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Why do people that think they are VIP's think they are above the law? We've had a rash of this in the last few years. Isiah Thomas when he coached here is a good example.

Kstat
05-28-2006, 04:51 PM
"You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards"

What a great way to imply to police that you arent going to put up much of a fight if they do decide to arrest you....

Shade
05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
What a great way to imply to police that you arent going to put up much of a fight if they do decide to arrest you....

:laugh:

Roaming Gnome
05-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Nothing good usually happens after the phrase:

Do you know who I am?!?

Is said....

Anyway, the way they described the incident on ESPNews, it sounded like a Bullsht arrest to me.

Shade
05-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Arenas and Storey ride together...to jail!

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 05:39 PM
I have a funny feeling that the charges will be dropped. If the Pacers can get off with fines and community service for assault Awvee and Gilbert will get a slap on the wrist, i even doubt that actually. "Resist without violence" WTF? And why couldn't Arenas stand by his teammate? Hopefully the cops had already taken him off the street, isn't the sidewalk reserved for pedestrians???

circlecitysportsfan
05-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/05/28/arenas.arrested.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

Arenas Arrested For Disobeying Police[SIZE=6]
[SIZE=2]

As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate."

LOL he can't be arrested because he is a basketball player for the wizards! Well kobe should of really raped that blond if that's the case....:laugh:

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 05:52 PM
LOL he can't be arrested because he is a basketball player for the wizards! Well kobe should of really raped that blond if that's the case....:laugh:

You mean he didn't???? :confused:

Shade
05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
This thread is sitting on a slippery slope...

Mr. Pink
05-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Arena is ...I don't know how to put this, but people know him. He's kinda big deal.

SoupIsGood
05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
What? Arenas shouldn't have said that, but that sounds like a crappy arrest. Just my intitial impression though, I'm by now means an expert in this stuff.

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
It sounds to me like the arresting officrs were looking fir their 15 mins.

Kstat
05-28-2006, 06:56 PM
my opinion of this arrest depends on the accuracy of the story.

If he (A) used the "Do you know who I am" line, and (B) Announced himself as a washington wizard, then yeah, he's probably in the wrong here.

But if he didnt say those things, then this isnt really news-worthy.

efx
05-28-2006, 07:28 PM
It sounds to me like the arresting officrs were looking fir their 15 mins.

And it sounds to me like if you weren't a wizards fan none of this would bother you.

What Arenas said is downright disrespectful regardless.

circlecitysportsfan
05-28-2006, 07:55 PM
You mean he didn't???? :confused:

Oh man that's great, you make it seem like i wasn't expecting that answer.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 10:20 PM
And it sounds to me like if you weren't a wizards fan none of this would bother you.

What Arenas said is downright disrespectful regardless.

Exactly.

Although I am not sure if I would use the phrase "disrespectful", but I would def. go with stupid and maybe "ignorant"....

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Exactly.

Although I am not sure if I would use the phrase "disrespectful", but I would def. go with stupid and maybe "ignorant"....

And if he didn't say that?

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 10:58 PM
And if he didn't say that?

Well deal with that when we get there.

If he didnt say any of that, then obviously he has nothing to worry about.

But if he did, and all reports so far say he did, then.....

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Well deal with that when we get there.

If he didnt say any of that, then obviously he has nothing to worry about.

But if he did, and all reports so far say he did, then.....

and all reports are based upon what the PD say. They could lie everytime.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 11:08 PM
and all reports are based upon what the PD say. They could lie everytime.

That is true, but I dont have a heard time beleiving the story as is...

Like I said, if it comes out he didnt do it, then great, he has nothing to worry about.

But if he did say

According to the police report, Storey was walking in traffic in the middle of a busy street when an officer told him to get back on the sidewalk. When Storey did not get out of the street, the officer arrested him and charged him with failing to obey a command.

As the arrest was made, Arenas got out of a vehicle and walked toward the arresting officers. Arenas was told to get back into his vehicle but refused, saying he wanted to stand next to his teammate. Arenas was then taken into custody and charged with resisting without violence.

As Arenas was arrested, according to the police report, he said: "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards and I'm not going to leave my teammate."

then like I said, that would be one of the more stupid things I have heard from a pro athlete, better yet a Wizard...

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
That is true, but I dont have a heard time beleiving the story as is...

Like I said, if it comes out he didnt do it, then great, he has nothing to worry about.

But if he did say

then like I said, that would be one of the more stupid things I have heard from a pro athlete, better yet a Wizard...

And who's ever heard of "failing to obey a command"? The officer was jealous and lookin for fame. He wants to be on Best Week Ever or something.

Hicks
05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
And who's ever heard of "failing to obey a command"?

Probably every police officer, followed by every citizen caught in that situation.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 11:17 PM
And who's ever heard of "failing to obey a command"? The officer was jealous and lookin for fame. He wants to be on Best Week Ever or something.

:rolleyes:

give me a break.

If this was any other player you wouldnt care, but since its a Wizards its a over zealous cop....

For the record, I have heard several cases of "failure to obey a command". Most of the time it involves a person who is intoxicated or on drugs, but yes, I have heard of it.

Maybe the next time one of Gilberts friends gets in trouble, Gilbert should stay in his car and not try to be a hero or a "good teammate". That **** might fly in a game, but in real life you dont disrespect a police officer, esp. not one who is dealing with a person.

I know if I am questioning a person, I dont care if its for a minor trafic infraction, and someone walks up on me, no matter what his or her intent, I am going to be a little defensive. How the hell am I supposed to know if that person has a gun, knife, or just plain wants to start some trouble.

There are some basic rules EVERYONE has to follow, celeberty or not, and one of them is when a cop gives you an order, obey it. If he is in the wrong, fight it, and chances are he will pay the proper concequences at a later date. But when you try to be a hero and/or a badass, you just get yourself in more trouble....

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Probably every police officer, followed by every citizen caught in that situation.

Thank you.

Jermaniac
05-29-2006, 01:08 AM
my opinion of this arrest depends on the accuracy of the story.

If he (A) used the "Do you know who I am" line, and (B) Announced himself as a washington wizard, then yeah, he's probably in the wrong here.

But if he didnt say those things, then this isnt really news-worthy.

Reminds me of the time when Steve McNair got arrested and was like

"You cant do this to me. Do you know who I am? I'm the MVP. "

And Qyntell Woods giving the officer a basketball card as a ID

Brian
05-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Arena is ...I don't know how to put this, but people know him. He's kinda big deal.

Now that is damn funny.

hahahahaha

that made me forget about my awfull night at work for a few...thanks

GO!!!!!
05-29-2006, 04:48 AM
what a joke anyways, it was just a bulk arrest by all accounts and means nothing...

That story about Q woods cracks me up every time.. well it does have his photo and date of birth....

I wanna know waht the hell his teammate was doing out of the car in the first place if he Gil was in the car... did they have a fight ??....

Stryder
05-29-2006, 10:34 AM

I'm truly sorry, but are you that freaking stupid? Seriously.

Bball
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Just one thing to consider...

Maybe Arenas' phrase is being taken out of context. Maybe the "You can't arrest me" part should be considered on it's own as in "You can't arrest 'me' (I'm just trying to help... I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm a good citizen)"

and then "I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate." (Which could be then considered him explaining why he's trying to help and inserting himself into this situation. As a matter of fact, I don't see him saying "I'm Gilbert Arenas, don't you know who I am?" at all (so far)).

IOW- Maybe he wasn't saying he can't be arrested because he's a basketball player but when you string the phrase together in a newspaper article or police report it comes out that way.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that an arresting officer's police report would skew something toward his POV. ..Especially without hearing the other side of the story.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you" is not mere meaningless jargon.

OK, I'm done playing defense atty....

-Bball

Robertmto
05-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Just one thing to consider...

Maybe Arenas' phrase is being taken out of context. Maybe the "You can't arrest me" part should be considered on it's own as in "You can't arrest 'me' (I'm just trying to help... I'm not doing anything wrong... I'm a good citizen)"

and then "I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate." (Which could be then considered him explaining why he's trying to help and inserting himself into this situation. As a matter of fact, I don't see him saying "I'm Gilbert Arenas, don't you know who I am?" at all (so far)).

Hopefullly thats is what happened.

Slick Pinkham
05-29-2006, 05:32 PM
This arrest is part of a Miami police crackdown on people attending a Memorial Day Weekend Hip-Hop festival that has apparently gained a reputation for unruly behavior.

There is a potential for this story to get a lot more play, since it involves cops, a much beefed-up police presence, and an event mostly involving African Americans.

I'm not saying that the race card should be played, but DO NOT BE SURPRISED.

Skaut_Ech
05-29-2006, 07:04 PM
:rolleyes:

I know if I am questioning a person, I dont care if its for a minor trafic infraction, and someone walks up on me, no matter what his or her intent, I am going to be a little defensive. How the hell am I supposed to know if that person has a gun, knife, or just plain wants to start some trouble.

There are some basic rules EVERYONE has to follow, celeberty or not, and one of them is when a cop gives you an order, obey it. If he is in the wrong, fight it, and chances are he will pay the proper concequences at a later date. But when you try to be a hero and/or a badass, you just get yourself in more trouble....

Man, that's what people just don't get. If you guys knew how many times I've been swung on when I wasn't looking, or found a gun on a guy who was just "standing in the crowd, minding his own business."

I don't think some of you appreciate how freaking dangerous it is being a cop. In most situations, you are severely outnumbered and in corwd situaatins, in particular, by the time anyone wanted to hurt you, you wouldn't have time to react To many people. To much confusion.

That's where failure to obey come in. If you're got an unruly crowd, that means the situation is already volitle. Best thing you can do is have everyone kept at a reasonalbly safe distance so you can best protect yourself.

To put it n prespective for you, think about the Indy 500 crowds. If I tell you to not cross the street and you do it anyways, what happens? Well, if you get hit by a car while ignoring my command, I'm the one who gets in trouble, along with you're safety, for allowing it to happen. Just playing, for instance, maybe a ton of people are walking in traffic and I can't get them to stop. What's the best way to get people's attention. Make an example of someone and maybe the point will drive home with the others.

You guys have no idea whatsoever what's it's like trying to mantain control during Circle City classic, Indy 500, etc.

Some citizen's didn't beleive how bad it was ad so we invited them to shadow us for a couple of major events. We actually had some high powered city leaders apologize to us. They have no idea what it's likje trying to keep people safe with people calling you names, being unruly, clogging up traffic, starting fights...adn the whole time, on average, we couild be easily outnumbered 50 to 1.

Was the story accurate or not? I dunno, but I do know what it's like to be in a situation like it sounds like those cops were and I'll just repeat my phrase.

You guys have no idea.

Shade
05-29-2006, 07:17 PM
*waits patiently for Scott to add his :twocents: *

vapacersfan
05-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, Skaut you said everything I wanted to say but just couldnt put it into words. lol

SoupIsGood
05-29-2006, 07:29 PM
*waits patiently for Scott to add his :twocents: *

Awesome timing :-p

Anthem
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Some citizen's didn't beleive how bad it was ad so we invited them to shadow us for a couple of major events. We actually had some high powered city leaders apologize to us. They have no idea what it's likje trying to keep people safe with people calling you names, being unruly, clogging up traffic, starting fights...adn the whole time, on average, we couild be easily outnumbered 50 to 1.

You guys have no idea.
I ran a 5k downtown today... pretty big crowd. They were all happy, not drunk, so the cops didn't have a hard time. But I thanked each one for being there as I passed.

RWB
05-30-2006, 07:35 AM
To put it n prespective for you, think about the Indy 500 crowds. If I tell you to not cross the street and you do it anyways, what happens?

So, on the little too close vehicle, have you always fought the urge to toss the Mag light thru the windshield? :D

Shade
05-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Man, that's what people just don't get. If you guys knew how many times I've been swung on when I wasn't looking, or found a gun on a guy who was just "standing in the crowd, minding his own business."

I don't think some of you appreciate how freaking dangerous it is being a cop. In most situations, you are severely outnumbered and in corwd situaatins, in particular, by the time anyone wanted to hurt you, you wouldn't have time to react To many people. To much confusion.

That's where failure to obey come in. If you're got an unruly crowd, that means the situation is already volitle. Best thing you can do is have everyone kept at a reasonalbly safe distance so you can best protect yourself.

To put it n prespective for you, think about the Indy 500 crowds. If I tell you to not cross the street and you do it anyways, what happens? Well, if you get hit by a car while ignoring my command, I'm the one who gets in trouble, along with you're safety, for allowing it to happen. Just playing, for instance, maybe a ton of people are walking in traffic and I can't get them to stop. What's the best way to get people's attention. Make an example of someone and maybe the point will drive home with the others.

You guys have no idea whatsoever what's it's like trying to mantain control during Circle City classic, Indy 500, etc.

Was the story accurate or not? I dunno, but I do know what it's like to be in a situation like it sounds like those cops were and I'll just repeat my phrase.

You guys have no idea.

Which is actually the same kind of situation the Pacers and their staff faced during the brawl.

It's frustrating when someone who works a desk jobor in a big, corporate office has the audacity to argue with you about how difficult or dangerous your job is, isn't it?

SoupIsGood
06-04-2006, 01:47 AM
A different take

Arenas Bummed By the Beach
By Michael Wilbon
Thursday, June 1, 2006; E01

Gilbert Arenas knows people are roasting him. He woke up to a morning radio show on ESPN, "And I heard Mike & Mike killing me." His Washington Wizards teammates are, too. They're greeting him this week with: "Do you know who I am? I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards."

If I'd been arrested in Miami Beach for simply getting out of my car, I'd have called Jesse L. Jackson or Al Sharpton or somebody. Arenas, as is true to his personality, is taking this remarkably in stride. In fact, when he was handcuffed Saturday night for going to the aid of teammate Awvee Storey, Arenas at first thought he was being "Punk'd" by MTV. But he wasn't; he was being arrested. "I was told it was for resisting arrest without violence," Arenas said in a phone conversation yesterday.

"I still don't understand what for. I was in a limousine, stuck in really bad traffic going to this restaurant, Ago, when I decided to step out of the car. The limo driver said, 'The guy who just got out is being arrested.' I looked over and saw seven police officers arresting Storey. . . . I didn't have the chance to say anything; an officer put cuffs on me from behind. . . . When I was taken in, I said, 'I don't mean to be rude, but can I talk to the officer who arrested me?' And the officer says, 'You were being nosy.' And I said, 'Are you putting that in your official police report, that I was being nosy?' And then he keeps asking me questions:

" 'Do you have tattoos?' I said, 'Yes, I have three.' And then, 'What is your street name?' I laughed. Of course I laughed. My street name? What? Okay, it's Zero Hero. [Arenas wears "0" on his Wizards jersey.]

" 'And he says, 'Oh, everything is funny to you, huh?' "

Arenas is lucky he wasn't in Los Angeles . . . or Prince George's County.

Anyway, what we all want to know is whether he said it -- whether he said, as the police report stated, "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards."

Arenas took a deep sigh. "You know I didn't say that," he said. "It's so dumb. . . . Have you seen the movie 'Anchorman?' There's a scene where Ron Burgundy says, 'I'm kinda of a big deal; people know me.' It reminds me of that. It doesn't work in the movies or on TV . . .

"Anyway, there was a guy locked up in one of these three cells who said, 'Hey, Gil, if they brought you in here I'm never getting out.' And one officer said to me, "Gilbert, what are you doing in here?' And I said, 'I don't know.' I watch a lot of TV, and I know I haven't even been searched. I've still got my cellphone on me and stuff.' That's when a lady officer told me what I was being charged with."

Okay, we have to back up here and provide a little context. Miami Beach is beyond packed on Memorial Day weekend. After Atlanta essentially threw "Freak-Nik" out of the city, all the MCs, DJs, Playaz, hotties and shorties took the show to Miami a few years ago. Now, it's called "Urban Beach Week." Older folks, the hip-hop challenged and people who like to see order are a little undone by Urban Beach Week, which is essentially young black folks and young white folks who like hip-hop hanging out on Miami Beach all weekend in various forms of dress and undress. Basically, it's a late spring break for the hip-hop crowd . . . which attracts tens of thousands. Think BET, not MTV. Law enforcement folks who don't necessarily see the similarities get a little nervous sometimes.

This is what Arenas got caught up in, even though he wasn't going to hear music, wasn't walking around with a posse. "I was going to dinner," Arenas said.

But because the traffic slows to a crawl in the evenings, the limousine couldn't move on Collins Avenue, the main drag on South Beach.

I know this first-hand because I was in Miami on Saturday night for the Heat-Pistons playoff game and ventured over to Miami Beach afterward.

And while I did not witness Arenas and Storey being arrested that night, I did witness the interaction between officers and motorists on the unthinkably packed streets.

Let's just say it was tense. And I absolutely believe Arenas and not for one second the police report.

At one point late that night, the primary causeway from downtown Miami to Miami Beach was closed off by officers.

You might, as I did, ask how to get across to the beach. While usually you get a polite explanation, you also might get a "GET BACK IN YOUR CAR!" as I've seen happen. The Miami Herald carried a story one day last weekend that reported nearly 600 people had already been arrested, and there was Monday still to go.

"There were three cells I remember in the place I was taken," Arenas said. "There were two with 30 to 35 people in each cell and one huge cell with, like, 300 people. I've been to Miami Beach on Memorial Day. I've got a condo there. I pretty much go jet-skiing and to dinner. I just don't hang out much."

He doesn't. Arenas is notorious for not hanging out. His big plan last weekend was to see "X-Men" a second time. I'm 47 years old and I hang out more than Arenas, which must come as a shock to people who think every single NBA player parties his brains out every single night. The only reason I went to the beach Saturday was because my alleged friend and colleague Dan Le Batard of the Miami Herald insisted. He lives on Miami Beach and knew shortcuts to avoid the traffic (which carried us right around Arenas and Storey). I told Le Batard if we got arrested or shot I'd kill him, and his exact reply was, "If we do, it'll make for a great column."

Okay, so nothing happened to us. But Arenas didn't have access to Le Batard's shortcuts. And Arenas, while he's in very good humor about it, says he won't be needing any shortcuts anymore. "I'm going to sell my condo," he said. "I'm done with the Miami scene. They can have their nice beach. They've convinced me I do not belong."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/31/AR2006053102247.html?nav=rss_sports/wizards

Robertmto
06-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Zero Hero :laugh:

Believe_in_blue
06-04-2006, 03:05 AM
That was funny