PDA

View Full Version : Peja won't play in 2006 World Championships

Shade
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2458440

BELGRADE, Serbia Montenegro -- Defending champion Serbia Montenegro will be without star forward Peja Stojakovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3119) at the 2006 World Championships in Japan this summer, his coach told a newspaper.

Stojakovic, who finished the 2005-06 season with the Indiana Pacers, averaged 18.8 points in the 2002 World Championships for Yugoslavia, which stunned Team USA and went on to defeat Argentina in overtime for the title.

However, the former NBA All-Star has not played internationally the last three summers.

New Serbia Montenegro coach Dragan Sakota said in Novosti, a Belgrade newspaper, that the sharpshooter will not be in Japan.

"He couldn't refuse my call as I didn't call him at all," said Sakota, who also coaches Red Star Belgrade. "The story about his presence in Japan started two months ago when we spoke on the subject.

"But, as I have said, the results are not the priority at this World Championship; working on a new, youthful team is. It will be different for the European Championship in 2007, when we will add some of our big names. That is what I have told Stojakovic."

Stojakovic is not the only big name skipping the event for the perennial power, which has fallen on some uncharacteristic hard times of late. Both NBA forward Zeljko Rebraca (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2677) and European star forward Dejan Bodiroga also will not be on the roster.

"I am really confused why [Stojakovic] is always the subject of talks here as Rebraca and Bodiroga won't play in Japan, either," Sakota said.
Sakota was tight-lipped on whether the country's other NBA stars such as Marko Jaric (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3429), Vladimir Radmanovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3522) and Nenad Krstic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3622) would take part.

"I didn't say a word on them, right? That's because we'll have to wait a bit and see if they play in Japan," the coach said. "A full list of the names of the players I want to be in our squad this summer will be sent to the federation shortly and soon after we will announce it officially."

Since its world title in 2002, Serbia Montenegro has not lived up to its billing. It failed to get out of group play in the 2004 Olympics and Eurobasket 2005 despite a roster stacked with stars as it was dragged down by chemistry issues.

However, the Serbs received one of four wild cards into the 24-team World Championships, which begins in August. They are in Group A with Olympic champions Argentina, France, Nigeria, Venezuela and Lebanon.

VF21
05-26-2006, 12:55 AM
One thing to note about this whole thing is that Peja made a statement quite some time ago (as in years) that pretty much said he wasn't going to compete at the international level any longer. He said it was time to let the "younger guys" take over...

Sounds like the new Serbian coach has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

;)

circlecitysportsfan
05-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Looks like Peja is done from all post season, high pressure games for the rest of his career. Let's sign him to the max! :rolleyes:

Mourning
05-26-2006, 02:00 AM
IF it would have been announced that he was selected and would play for Yougoslavia this summer ... would you attack him then on the basis that he didn't really play for us during the play-offs, but now all of a sudden he would for his national country?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Anxiety
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
IF it would have been announced that he was selected and would play for Yougoslavia this summer ... would you attack him then on the basis that he didn't really play for us during the play-offs, but now all of a sudden he would for his national country?

Regards,

You are probably right.

Jermaniac
05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Soft like charmin

rexnom
05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
How is this a surprise? I thought this was the plan all along. I'm happy. I don't want him getting injured or aggravating something in the world championships.

Mourning
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
How is this a surprise? I thought this was the plan all along. I'm happy. I don't want him getting injured or aggravating something in the world championships.

Me too! So, I don't get the need of some Pacersfans to critisize him over it.

Regards,

circlecitysportsfan
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM

Regards,

No, at first i thought he was just scared of NBA Playoff competition. FIBA ball is his game and the World Championships are huge where he's from. People there think it's more important than the Olympics and the NBA Championship. You would think he'd want to defend his nations championship. Did you see the celebration in their country when they won? Amazing.

Sorry but i'm pissed at dude for sitting in the playoffs when we won BOTH games he played in. Even if he's just standing at the 3pt line it's better than him being in a suit and tie. I'm guessing Reggies eye injury was much worst than Peja's knee. Reggie played his *** off in game 5 vs the Hawks in 1996 and he was a free agent just like Peja is now. He risked his whole career for one playoff game. Didn't Reggie have surgery to repair that bone under his eye? And he played less than a month after the surgery. Is Peja have any surgery on his knee at all???? But he can't play in the playoffs but Reggie can, and you don't see why i'm pissed at ***** Peja?

p.s. I almost forgot, Reggie played in the 96 games with the same injury. But it's pointless to compare the two. One is a Warrior and the other is more pink than my newborn's wardrobe.

piksi
05-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Pedja wasn't even invited for WC. Serbia will send a young team to Japan. Many experienced players were left out. They are trying to build up a team for 2007 EC which is also a qualifying tournament for the olympics. Pedja is expected to play in 2007. That also means that we won't be able to defend the title which sucks. Expect Argentina to win it all again.

ChicagoJ
05-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah, I'd hate to ruin the sign-and-trade possibilities.

circlecitysportsfan
05-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Pedja wasn't even invited for WC. Serbia will send a young team to Japan. Many experienced players were left out. They are trying to build up a team for 2007 EC which is also a qualifying tournament for the olympics. Pedja is expected to play in 2007. That also means that we won't be able to defend the title which sucks. Expect Argentina to win it all again.

Nope.

Robertmto
05-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Can i get a link for the 2006 WC?

Arcadian
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm glad he isn't playing in them. Strickly speaking as a Pacer fan I don't care about international events. If Peja plays well, so what? If he gets hurt then it hurts us.