PDA

View Full Version : (Opinion) Granger doesn't think playing for Carlisle is fun.

Will Galen
05-25-2006, 06:03 PM
That's my considered opinion after reading this}

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

Question for Danny Granger | May 22, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. You have been my favorite basketball player in general ever since your first days at the University of New Mexico. I was just wondering how the fans in New Mexico compare to the fans in Indy? (From Jesse in Santa Fe, N.M.)

A. I think thatís a question of college fans versus NBA fans. College alumni and students get a lot more crazy than the fans that attend NBA games. There were a lot more rowdy crowds. They enjoyed their basketball out there. Basketball there was fun.
------------------------

Notice if this is an accurate quote he didn't say the crowds were fun at NM, he widened the scope and said "Basketball there was fun." Meaning it's not fun now.

Of course this isn't new news that players don't like Carlisle's style of ball.

Kegboy
05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I think this is an indictment on the Conseco fans, personally. Good thing I ain't one of 'em.

Hoop
05-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Will, you really put that one on spin cycle.

Jermaniac
05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Playing for Rick is fun. Time to trade Danny Granger if he doesnt like playing for Rick._

Unclebuck
05-25-2006, 06:26 PM
_

good work there

CableKC
05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Even I know that playing in Carlisle's offense probably isn't too fun.....but my initial thought is that I don't care if its fun or not...as long as it gets results.

The problem is that we don't know whether Carlisle's offense truly works as there has been major upheaval over the last 2 seasons....and the only time there wasn't any problems.....we had the best regular season record in the league.

aceace
05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
The new NBA is a run type offense utilizing the moving screen thats not called anymore. Phx, Dallas and a few others do this and they will beat the teams that play with their back to the basket. Which the Pacers do. The ESPN article (Simmons?) highlighted this and maybe thats why the Pacers were not enjoying playing for RC.

SycamoreKen
05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
How do you get playing in the NBA isn't fun by him saying, "Playing basketball there was fun."? Just because he had fun a N.M. doesn't mean he isn't having fun in the NBA. That would be like me being on a cruise and taking about how fun my vacation was last year in Vegas. Does that mean I'm not having fun on the cruise? No. It means my vacation in Vegas was fun.

SoupIsGood
05-25-2006, 07:13 PM
You're reading way too far into that.

Lord Helmet
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I think this is an indictment on the Conseco fans, personally. Good thing I ain't one of 'em.
Pisses me off how quiet they can be.

:shakehead

beast23
05-25-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't think Danny is saying anything about Carlisle or the Pacer, for that matter, at all.

All he's saying is that the fans are different between college and the NBA and that his personal choice would be to play in front of a college-like crowd rather than the normal fans that attend NBA games.

PacerMan
05-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Major stretch there....

As someone that hasn't been to a live game in the past two seasons BECAUSE there is just no atmosphere there (for your $100) I sure can identify with Danny's opinion. I'll never forget the last season at Market Square. Using binoculars I spotted an old friend on the other side of the arena, I stood up and yelled his name as loud as I could, AND HE HEARD ME!!! This was in the fourth quarter of a decent game!!!!!!!!!!
Not saying there is never any noise, but I grew up on Indiana/Purdue games back when the rivalry was to the death. There were times I literally wondered if noise could move physical objects. Like the roof.....

RedPitSea
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow my friend talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack. UNM is mostly know for the PIT and how loud it can get. Think Duke or UNC loud. We all know no NBA arena gets as loud as most college arenas except maybe Arco. Now you tell me would you rather play in front a bunch of kids your same age drunk off their :buddies: @$$@ or a bunch of old men sitting on there hands with the occasional :sleep:burp? I dont see anything about a coach here IMO.

Young
05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
That's my considered opinion after reading this}

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

Question for Danny Granger | May 22, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. You have been my favorite basketball player in general ever since your first days at the University of New Mexico. I was just wondering how the fans in New Mexico compare to the fans in Indy? (From Jesse in Santa Fe, N.M.)

A. I think that’s a question of college fans versus NBA fans. College alumni and students get a lot more crazy than the fans that attend NBA games. There were a lot more rowdy crowds. They enjoyed their basketball out there. Basketball there was fun.
------------------------

Notice if this is an accurate quote he didn't say the crowds were fun at NM, he widened the scope and said "Basketball there was fun." Meaning it's not fun now.

Of course this isn't new news that players don't like Carlisle's style of ball.

I think that you are trying to make something out of nothing here.

I mean think about it, like Danny said college fans are more into the games than NBA fans. Of course basketball is going to be more fun at New Mexico, where he was the star, where the crowds were fun, where he didn't have to put up with all the BS that goes on with the Pacers, of course it was more fun playing at New Mexico than in Indiana.

Now this doesn't mean that Danny likes Rick, and it doesn't mean he hates him. I think it is well known most players don't like playing for Rick though but I don't think that there is any other meaning behind his quote other than it is more fun to play college ball than NBA ball.

Note that Danny said the question is more of college fans vs NBA fans, not his college coach vs his NBA coach.

VF21
05-26-2006, 01:06 AM
You know, it's kind of nice to see TDOS syndrome hitting a board other than my own. (TDOS means The Dreaded Off Season, when people get really hard up for anything to talk about and debate.)

;)

grace
05-26-2006, 01:23 AM
"Basketball there was fun." Meaning it's not fun now.

Do any fans or anyone associated with the Pacers think any aspect of last season was even remotely fun? Example: Reggie Miller's jersey retirement game. Even that was a piece of :censored:.

BillS
05-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Do any fans or anyone associated with the Pacers think any aspect of last season was even remotely fun?

I went to my first Forum bash and it impressed me so much I bought a house.

What more do you people want from me? :whoknows:

PacerMan
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Do any fans or anyone associated with the Pacers think any aspect of last season was even remotely fun? Example: Reggie Miller's jersey retirement game. Even that was a piece of :censored:.

I think the stretch after we dumped the *****head, when Jermaine was out and we were playing excellent team ball was VERY fun.

McClintic Sphere
05-26-2006, 11:01 AM

The Reggie Miller retirement was embarrassing in so many ways, primarily because it was on national tv and during Final Four week, UCLA's current team was there and the striking disparity between a team with offensive fluidity (Phoenix) and a competent PG and our depressing style.

I actually had a feeling of excitement during the Sixers game on ABC (early March?) when it seemed our fecal material was starting to coagulate. How deluded I was.

loborick
05-26-2006, 11:27 AM
If you've never been to a game in the Pit, you may be offended by what DG said. But I've been to hundreds, and there is no experience like it. When the place is packed and crowd gets going, you can't hear you neighbor talk to you. Danny did not dis Indiana crowds, he just said that college crowds are more fun to play in front of. And I agree with him. I've never been to an NBA game that was as loud as the louder Lobo games.

McClintic Sphere
05-26-2006, 11:32 AM
College and for that matter, high school games are almost always a better 'atmosphere' than that of the NBA. Too much of the NBA crap is top down: either pumped up noise (constant), or plastic claptrap being handed to you or other artificially manufactured energy. In college it mostly comes from the students and die-hard alumni and is typically witty and creative.

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 12:07 AM
In college it mostly comes from the students and die-hard alumni and is typically witty and creative.

Such as the infamous "Killings-worth-less" chant from Ill. this year. Or even the same crowd coming up with "Fu-ture Ill-ini"?