PDA

View Full Version : Granger at SG

Swingman
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Will the Granger to SG experiment stick and if so how good do you think he can play the position?

He's likely going to have to trim down some and work on getting faster.

I would imagine he would be one of the bigger SGs in the NBA. Will he be fast to defend opposing guards and can he become an effective outside shooter?

We all know SF is his natural position but can he be an All Star at SG?

If he is our SG then I'd say that means we'll likely draft a point guard.

ChicagoJ
05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
I think he'll look like a natural SF trying to play out of position.

In other words, he'll look awkward and we'll all be glad when we get a legit SF and he gets to play SF again.

Swingman
05-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I think he'll look like a natural SF trying to play out of position.

In other words, he'll look awkward and we'll all be glad when we get a legit SF and he gets to play SF again.

We're likely keeping both Peja, Granger and O'neal. I hate to see one of our rising stars sitting the bench. I hope he can do well at SG.

ChicagoJ
05-25-2006, 06:51 PM
If Peja backs up both forward positions, I'd be fine with that.

If Peja is used as a S&T bait, I'd be fine with that.

If Peja gets a payraise and is ahead of Danny on the depth chart, the Pacers are making a collossal mistake.

And for what it's worth, I'd rather see JO at C (even if he's fifteen pounds lighter) and Peja and Danny playing the forward positions than to put one of them at SG.

SoupIsGood
05-25-2006, 07:15 PM
NO!!! Danny is a SF

J_2_Da_IzzO
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
It will still be an improvement from Jackson.

skyfire
05-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I think Danny will do just fine at SG. He's already been guarding Kobe and VC with some success as a rookie.

As LB said, Danny can play 3 positions so I dont think he'll have any trouble getting minutes. I think a core of JO/Peja/Granger is very solid and they have skills that complement each other. Get a PG with quickness and a C who can hold the fort until Hulk is ready to start and the team will be in good shape.

beast23
05-25-2006, 07:46 PM

If Peja gets a payraise and is ahead of Danny on the depth chart, the Pacers are making a collossal mistake.

And for what it's worth, I'd rather see JO at C (even if he's fifteen pounds lighter) and Peja and Danny playing the forward positions than to put one of them at SG.Jay, now you and I both know that if the Pacers sign Peja, he will certainly start. And Peja is a better player, AT THIS TIME, than Danny. Doesn't mean he always will be, but he is right now.

As for defense, I'll throw a figure out there. I figure Danny can probably "effectively" guard half of the leagues PGs. He might be able to "adequately" guard another handful, but there are probably 8-10 starters that he just can't handle.

If the Pacers do indeed play Danny at SG, I also think it would be a mistake... at least offensively. I don't think it would be wise to ask Danny to play a perimeter game that he has not fully developed yet. However, he does seem to have a remarkably polished mid-range game for his experience, and is probably a little better than average around the hoop.

Peja, on the other hand, is pretty polished offensively on the perimeter, at mid-range and around the basket as well. Although we have been surprised by Peja's defensive abilities, he doesn't have Danny's perimeter defensive abilities.

Therefore, regardless of what the Pacers say they want to do with Danny, it only seems reasonable that they would soon discover that, assuming both are on the floor, that Peja play guard offensively and Danny would be the one to guard the better player of the opponent's SG/SF.

My guess is that Danny will play more minutes but will be a sixth man if the Pacers acquire a new SG, assuming the Pacers also re-sign Peja. There is no way in hell that the Pacers would spend $8.5M - $10M per year on a player that they did not intend on starting. [Croshere excluded, of course. :)]

Lord Helmet
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
He's a natural SF, but, I don't care if he plays some SG.

As for his defense on some marquee SG's, he's good, and he'll be a great defensive player.

Hicks
05-25-2006, 07:58 PM
I think Danny may be more versatile than we realize. Scouting reports during the draft had him playing the 3, 2, and even some 1, not 3, 4, and even some (barely) small 5 (like he did with us this season). I want to at least TRY IT and see how he takes to it for a dozen games.

PacerMan
05-25-2006, 08:02 PM
He's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too fine a rebounder to have on the perimeter. Can he guard some of the guys? Sure

Hicks
05-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Once the ball is in the air, he can still crash the boards. The general rule of thumb anyway, is the longer the shot, the longer the rebound (rant: Someone PLEASE tell the NBA Live series coders this for me :banghead: ). So if his man or another guard launches one he's out there towering over the other guys going for the board.

beast23
05-25-2006, 08:46 PM
He's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too fine a rebounder to have on the perimeter. Can he guard some of the guys? SureOffensively, there really is no problem. As Hicks says, we could even try to play Danny at SG and if it doesn't work out, we just switch Danny and Peja. However, you've hit upon the best argument for Danny not playing an SG defensively.

And if we just say fine, have both Peja at SF and Danny at SG crash the boards along with JO and Jeff, then we obviously we will be playing a lot of half-court sets offensively. Although I suppose that one could argue that we don't run a lot with AJ at PG anyway.

If the Pacers are to make improvements for next season, obviously there will be trades. But we may not be able to improve everywhere we want improvements, and we may have to make do using more of the known resources (players) that we currently have.

We may even end up starting what we have now. JO at PF, Jeff at C, AJ at PG and some combination of Danny and Peja at SG/SF.

If that's the case, then our improvement will come from better health, a better bench and better cohesiveness and performance on the court. For example, a better rebounding percentage. Crashing the defensive boards with 4 players (if Danny plays SG defensively) would likely result in a better defensive rebounding percentage, thereby reducing the opponent's multiple-shot possessions... therefore resulting in a measurable improvement in overall team performance.

At this time, I'm just hoping that we will see a trade made resulting in a substantial upgrade to one starting position.

pizza guy
05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Here's an idea...

Since the overwhelming majority of folks on here is that the Pacers should adapt the PHX/Dallas style of play, why not play them both at once? JO at 15 lbs. lighter could play C in that style, and Peja has great size for PF, and obviously Danny fits at SF. It would still leave us with PG/SG problems, but heck, why not? It would mean a coaching change of course, but that idea probably doesn't ruffle too many feathers around here.

IMO, Danny is a SF that can play any position out there, IF NEEDED. I think his official position should be SF, but if he needs to switch for some reason, FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, I'd have absolutely no problem with that.

Hicks
05-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Better to have Danny as the 4 in that setup a la Shawn Marion in Phoenix.

pizza guy
05-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, considering that it's the Pacers, we wouldn't run it properly, so Danny is the SF, Peja is PF, and JO the C. :)

PacerMan
05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Once the ball is in the air, he can still crash the boards. The general rule of thumb anyway, is the longer the shot, the longer the rebound (rant: Someone PLEASE tell the NBA Live series coders this for me :banghead: ). So if his man or another guard launches one he's out there towering over the other guys going for the board.
'

If you are a decent defender (and he is) you are going towards your man as he's shooting. That's moving away from the basket, up to 25' away from the basket. He might be a very good rebounder as a "2", but it pale in comparison to what he could do in the lane.
Where he belongs.

05-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Im with the guys who think "keep both Peja & Danny in at the same time", i dont care if he starts as a Center or even a ballboy, cheerleader, keep him IN!! He will do as good job playing SG as he was playing SF or why not make Peja play SG?

Moses
05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Could run with a small lineup of:
C: JO
PF: Granger
SF: Peja
SG: *whoever we get for tins and jack*
PG: Runi/AJ

I think Runi could run a faster team better then AJ..but I'd prefer to have a new starting PG by next season. AJ isn't going to be as good as he was this year because he isn't getting any quicker. I would love to package him with Jack or Croshere and get a good SG/PG.

This does not mean Granger has to bulk up. He is about the same size as Marion.

beast23
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Unless we would acquire a cat-quick PG and and a quick SG that can consistently hit the perimeter shot along with Peja, and go to a motion game when this lineup is used, I think this lineup would kill us over the long haul.

Danny can't hold his own over the long haul playing at PF and JO has certainly warn down trying to constantly play in the paint. We would be undersized in the frontcourt.

Leisure Suit Larry
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM

And for what it's worth, I'd rather see JO at C (even if he's fifteen pounds lighter) and Peja and Danny playing the forward positions than to put one of them at SG.

Yeah except Peja is a former All-Star and MVP candidate who has just a little more experience than a second year player.

Anthem
05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Better to have Danny as the 4 in that setup a la Shawn Marion in Phoenix.
Do you think Carlisle would ever run that kind of offense?

Young
05-26-2006, 03:36 PM

I think Runi could run a faster team better then AJ..but I'd prefer to have a new starting PG by next season. AJ isn't going to be as good as he was this year because he isn't getting any quicker. I would love to package him with Jack or Croshere and get a good SG/PG.

I was thinking of that same lineup reading this thread.

Look at the Phoenix Suns, their center is 6'8 215 pound Boris Diaw. Their power forward is 6'7 230 pound Shawn Marion. I think we can have a frontcourt of JO, Danny, and Peja and we would have a lot of success with it.

As someone mentioned above we would need a brand new backcourt to do this but I think we need a new backcourt no matter what. We also would need a new coach but I expect to have one a year from now anyways. We could draft Jordan Farmar, he would be our point guard of the future and then we could find a shooting guard later on this summer.

I think that a small frontcourt would work if we have the right players and coaching staff. The Phoenix Suns are proof that positions don't matter much in the NBA anymore. Example, in Game 1 Eric Dampier's size didn't give Boris as much problems as Boris's quickness gave Dampier.

Robertmto
05-27-2006, 10:58 PM

I don't like Danny at the 4. There's a big difference between Western Conference 4 and Eastern Conference 4.
The WC 4s for the most part are more all around players. And they have the ability to step back easily. Garnett, Marion, Nowitzki, Gasol, Odom, Kirilenko, and Abdur Rahim are examples.

EC 4s are more back to the basket and physical players. JO, Haslem, Howard, Webber, Okafor, Chandler, Gooden and Bosh are the examples here.

So even if DG had a good regular season playing the 4 while defending both types of players he would probably have a hard time in the playoffs defending bigger and stringer players nite in and nite out for as long as the Pacers survive. So basically I love the idea of DG doing this seeing as how i'm not a Pacers fan.