PDA

View Full Version : The Pacers are likely to draft a PG.

Young
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
I think that the Indiana Pacers are likely to draft a point guard in this draft because they will draft the best player avaliable and I think the best player avaliable will be a point guard.

Here is the draft order before us:

1. Toronto - Won't take a point guard this high.
2. Chicago - Won't take a point guard this high.
3. Charlotte - Won't take a point guard this high.
4. Portland - They don't need a point guard.
5. Atlanta - My prediction is Randy Foye to be taken here.
6. Minnesota - Could use a PG but i'm guessing they won't pass up on Brandon Roy.
7. Boston - I'm guessing they take Rudy Gay with this pick.
8. Houston - They could use a point guard (Marcus Williams?) but I think they need a PF more and they are likely taking Sheldan Williams with this pick.
9. Golden State - Pretty much all their positions are filled except maybe center. My guess is they take Patrick O'Bryant. I defiantly can't see them drafting a point guard here.
10. Seattle - They have Luke Ridnour at the point. They are likely to draft a forward like Cedric Simmions incase they can't re-sign Chris Wilcox.
11. Orlando - I'm guessing they take a swingman. I'm sure that Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer will be on the board when they pick so I see them taking one of those guys or they could take JJ Reddick, I read they had interest in him.
12. New Orleans - They will not be taking a point guard. They have Chris Paul there, so no way they draft another point guard.
13. Philadelphia - I'm guessing they take Mardy Collins, he should be here.
14. Utah - They could take a point guard if they want Deron Williams playing the 2 guard for his career but I don't see that happening. I expect them to take a big man.
15. New Orleans - Like I said above, they don't need a point guard.
16. Chicago - Like New Orleans they don't need a point guard. With Duhon/Hinrich/Gordon a point guard (or any type of guard for that matter.) is not a need

And so that brings me to the Pacers.

I think that at the most, as the draft stands right now, Marcus Williams and Randy Foye will be off the board when we pick as far as point guards go.

I think it would be hard for the Pacers to pass up on Jordan Farmar or Kyle Lowry. If we pass up on one of those guys, i'm gonna be pissed.

Now of course there will probably be atleast one draft day trade and guys can move up or down the draft board with his performance in the pre-draft camp but as it stands right now, based on needs of teams picking before the Pacers, I see the Pacers taking a point guard because this class is pretty deep with point guards and one of them will likely fall into the Pacer's lap.

blanket
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I generally agree with your premise, with a slight variation: I think the Pacers are most likely to draft a PG or combo guard, unless a better player at SG or PF falls to them.

I don't necessarily see the pre-Pacers draft selections shaking out like you have them, but I do agree that Williams and Foye are the only PGs guaranteed to be drafted before the Pacers pick.

These are the PGs/combo guards I see as most likely for the Pacers to pick at 17, assuming no projected lottery picks fall to us this year:

Farmar, Lowry, Douby, Fernandez, Rodriguez

Ager, Diaz and Rondo are possibilities, but I don't see them fitting with what the Pacers are after.

Of the projected lottery picks, I think the one most likely to fall to the Pacers is Collins, although someone like Simmons or Armstrong is a possibility.

blanket
05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd also like to say that I hope the Pacers do not trade up in this draft. There's so much parity in the top 20 that I think we'd have to give up more than what we'd gain by trading assets to move up.

bulldog
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I'd also like to say that I hope the Pacers do not trade up in this draft. There's so much parity in the top 20 that I think we'd have to give up more than what we'd gain by trading assets to move up.

Agreed. Although what else could we get for Tins at this point? If we could get someone to take his contract and move up a few spots, I'd take it. It's addition by subtraction (both the money and the distraction).

I'm more hopeful we draft a long, athletic swing-man than a PG. It would be a sign that Jax is on the way out, and if we're gonna make the Granger-Peja combo work we need a defensive stopper coming off the bench that can handle quick 2-guards.

beast23
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
... and if we're gonna make the Granger-Peja combo work we need a defensive stopper coming off the bench that can handle quick 2-guards.
If the Granger-Peja combo is to work at its best, I believe we need a starting PG that is an even better defensive player than AJ.

But if we do not acquire a PG of that type, then I agree... we need an SG off the bench that is a superb defender.

SoupIsGood
05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
If the Granger-Peja combo is to work at its best, I believe we need a starting PG that is an even better defensive player than AJ.

But if we do not acquire a PG of that type, then I agree... we need an SG off the bench that is a superb defender.

If we're going to make Peja/Granger work (which I don't want, but I'm beginning to accept that it is what's probably going to happen), then we need to get a super-fast point guard who can create and penetrate at ease. A Chris Paul type (oh jeez that'd be great).

wooolus
05-25-2006, 11:28 PM
JO for Chris Paul + ....? We have better pieces than the last years Hornets, they almost made the playoffs in the West on Paul's shoulders...

rexnom
05-26-2006, 12:13 AM
JO for Chris Paul + ....? We have better pieces than the last years Hornets, they almost made the playoffs in the West on Paul's shoulders...

Paul is untouchable territory. There is no way in hell they ever trade him.

Slick Pinkham
05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
I think Houston will definitely take a PG, though. Luther Head is a bench spark and a tiny 2, and not their future PG.