PDA

View Full Version : Which Pistons starter will be the first to go?

Shade
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
It's obvious that the Pistons' starting five will not stay together forever. I'm kinda curious as to which one you believe will be the first to go (either via trade or free agency) and why.

8.9_seconds
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
At First I was going to say Tay, just because I believe is very underrated, but I voted Big Ben because I think he will get better offers elsewhere.

JayRedd
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
At First I was going to say Tay, just because I believe is very underrated, but I voted Big Ben because I think he will get better offers elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure the Pistons will match whatever anyone else offers Big Ben. My guess is they'll end up giving him the max.

Anthem
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
One of the Wallaces. I don't know.

Gyron
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Ack! Private Poll! Free Btown!!!!!

mugsy27
05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
is chauncey a UFA at the end of this season?

SoupIsGood
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Whoever retires first.

Slick Pinkham
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Billups will be expensive after he exercises his option to opt out after next season.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit.htm

Gamble
05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
I think Sheed has one more season left in him before he
gets traded to the Knicks.

Brian
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I voted Ben Wallace...I know alotta teams really want ben,and I know someone out there will overpay for him.

Brian
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Wouldnt that be perfect if we signed Ben.

Man I couldnt wait till sactown visited us.

Shade
05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Ack! Private Poll! Free Btown!!!!!
Damn software. Public should be the default. :blush:

317Kim
05-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I think it will be one of the Wallaces, but I'm leaning more towards Sheed.

Slick Pinkham
05-25-2006, 05:15 PM
If Sheed didn't have so many years left under contract you can be sure that he would bolt for the most money and the biggest bale of weed.

But he is locked up at a high price, and too good for Isiah to want him.

JayRedd
05-25-2006, 05:48 PM
If Sheed didn't have so many years left under contract you can be sure that he would bolt for the most money and the biggest bale of weed.

But he is locked up at a high price, and too good for Isiah to want him.

Yeah...what would Isiah do with a PF over 6'8?

ChicagoJ
05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Make him a point-center??

I like that so much I'm voting for Sheed.

Eindar
05-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I voted for Ben for a couple reasons. First, his perceived value is probably higher than his actual value at this point, and some also-ran will throw astronomical dollars at him in the hopes of turning their team into a defensive juggernaut. Also, he really doesn't seem to fit into Flip Saunders' schemes that well. Now, whether that's because Flip doesn't know how to use Ben Wallace or because Wallace isn't used to/open to this new offense, I have no idea.

owl
05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
After watching Hack a Ben I wonder what his value really is?

I am not totally convinced Detroit will give him the max.

Particulary if they lose this series.

rexnom
05-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Ben just signed an agent after firing his old one and hiring a lawyer. This means one of two things:

1.) He just wants all the bonuses and such that only an agent can get him.

2.) He's looking to score lots of dough. Lots. He'll use his agent to bargain with other teams and get a big contract and might even leave.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Ben just signed an agent after firing his old one and hiring a lawyer. This means one of two things:

1.) He just wants all the bonuses and such that only an agent can get him.

2.) He's looking to score lots of dough. Lots. He'll use his agent to bargain with other teams and get a big contract and might even leave.

I may be mistaken, but I thought he fired his agent and hired a lawyer.

To me that is the smart thing to do, a lot of guys are doing that now. They dont need a agent to baby-sit them, they just need a lawyer to look over the contract to make sure that it is legit.

There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the argument, but one def. plus to having a lawyer is you save money.

Kstat
05-28-2006, 01:00 PM
he re-hired another agent, but on an hourly basis.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 01:03 PM

OK, I was mistaken. I thought he hired a lawyer.

But either way he achieves the same thing. He isnt paying a percentage out of his pay-check.

Of course the down side is he might not have the same connections that you might get with a agent in regards to endorsements, but thats a matter of personal priorities.

rexnom
05-28-2006, 01:03 PM
He hired Arn Tellem, so it's not just your run of the mill rent-an-agent. KStat, you should be worried. Either the Pistons lose Ben (unlikely) or they overpay (more likely).

rexnom
05-28-2006, 01:10 PM
OK, I was mistaken. I thought he hired a lawyer.

But either way he achieves the same thing. He isnt paying a percentage out of his pay-check.

Of course the down side is he might not have the same connections that you might get with a agent in regards to endorsements, but thats a matter of personal priorities.
Actually, you were right.
Three things happened. Ben fired his old agent. Hired a lawyer. Then hired a new agent. That's why it seems so odd especially since Ben said that he just wanted someone to check his contract.

vapacersfan
05-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Actually, you were right.
Three things happened. Ben fired his old agent. Hired a lawyer. Then hired a new agent. That's why it seems so odd especially since Ben said that he just wanted someone to check his contract.

OK, that makes sense.

that is kind of odd....

Isnt Arn the same guy who was Reggie's agent?

Trader Joe
05-28-2006, 02:24 PM
I think it comes down to Ben, Sheed, or RIp. Since they got rid of Darko they really cant afford to lose Ben or Sheed without getting a young big back. If they lose this series tho, my gut tells me Sheed is toast.

rexnom
05-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I think it comes down to Ben, Sheed, or RIp. Since they got rid of Darko they really cant afford to lose Ben or Sheed without getting a young big back. If they lose this series tho, my gut tells me Sheed is toast.
Sheed is the key to the Pistons on offense and defense. When he isn't involved (see Cavs series games 4 and 5) things go south. Also, he's tied down a while. I don't think anyone of these guys is going anywhere for a while. I think it's just a matter of age.

VF21
05-28-2006, 03:55 PM
It's obvious that the Pistons' starting five will not stay together forever. I'm kinda curious as to which one you believe will be the first to go (either via trade or free agency) and why.

Rasheed Wallace has to go. He's not gonna change and he'll continue to be a good enough player to fool people into thinking the good outweighs the bad. It doesn't...

Get rid of him for the good of the herd. And do it soon.

Shade
05-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Rasheed Wallace has to go. He's not gonna change and he'll continue to be a good enough player to fool people into thinking the good outweighs the bad. It doesn't...

No offense VF21, but I find that really funny coming from someone who has Ron Artest on their team. :laugh:

In fact, it's so funny that it still hurts. :(

Hicks
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Up until now, the good has outweighed the bad. If they lose to Miami, the tide may be turning given his recent ... "comments" to Flip Saunders.

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I think the starting fie will be together for one more full season. After the 2006-2007 year I think Detroit will get ed up with the drama Resheed brings and they will ship him out. Regardless of performance, or lack there of.

Shade
05-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I've been reading that the Pistons can offer Big Ben a 6-year, $132 million deal. That's $22 million/year.

If they did that, where would they get the money to re-sign Billups after next season?

What is Detroit's cap situation?

Kstat
05-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Lack of money isnt a problem. Davidson could buy out cuban several times over.

We could possibly pay billups and Ben an average of $12 million each and not be over the luxury tax.

As for Ben's salary, its silly to guess that he'll be getting $22 million, since nobody knows what he'll be asking for.

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/2006stateofthecapdetroit001.asp

2006/07 Detroit Pistons Payroll: $47.5 million
2006/07 Estimated NBA Salary Cap: $52 million
Roughly: $4.5 million under cap
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=13 height=28> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Good: At one point this season, Chauncey Billups was an MVP candidate. While that speculation cooled off, Chauncey's play has not. Billups is the unquestioned leader of the best team in basketball. He averages 18.5 points, 8.6 assists, and shoots 43% from downtown. Surprisingly, he will likely be the lowest paid starter next season. The Piston's point guard is owed just $6.3 million next season. He has a player option for $6.8 million after that season, but it is doubtful he will accept it. Chauncey is due for a raise to catch up with the rest of the starting five, and he deserves it.

Of the other starters, Rip Hamilton is earning his contract the most. Rip has four more years at an average of $10 million each. He is the team's leading scorer at 20 points per game and his 49% shooting is awesome for a guard. The skinny scorer is a nightmare for opposing defenses and there are few players in the league better at the mid-range jump shot.

Darko Milicic ended up being an important piece of Detroit's championship puzzle after all. How, you ask? By getting traded to the Magic for Kelvin Cato's $8.6 million expiring contract, thereby allowing the Pistons to resign Ben Wallace this summer. In the end, it worked out best for both player and team.

The Bad: Obviously, the Pistons have decided to spend their salary cap keeping their starters together, and who can blame them? With everything they have accomplished, you might as well keep them together at any cost and enjoy the ride. However, it does mean that a few of their players are a tad overpaid.

Rasheed Wallace has the biggest contract on the team with three years and $37 million remaining. There is no doubt that Rasheed is an important part of this team with his rebounding, defense, and three point shooting. But that much money for 15 points, 6.9 rebounds, and 43% shooting? Rasheed's contract isn't terrible, its just a little rich for what he brings to the table.

Tayshaun Prince signed a contract extension last summer that will pay him $48 million over the next five years. His defense causes big problems for other teams and he is a versatile player who can fill many roles for the Pistons. However, is $10 million a year the right amount for a player who averaged 14 points and 4.3 rebounds this season? All of Prince's stats were down this year compared to last year. If Prince kept improving, his deal would be well worth it, but if he has fulfilled all of his potential, his contract extension could end up being overpriced.

The Future: The Detroit Pistons have been extremely lucky that they have been able to avoid injuries. None of their starters has missed significant time in years. That's good because their bench is average at best.

Antonio McDyess is a good forward to bring in, but Maurice Evans and Tony Delk are the only other bench players who get any time and they are a big step down from Billups and Hamilton. By giving all their money to the starters, their bench talent will suffer. An injury to a starter would be devastating for this team, but so far, they haven't had to deal with it.

All nitpicking aside, this is still the best team in the league and the one that nobody wants to go up against in a playoff series. They don't have any horrible contracts and they get pretty good value out of their stars. This is a team that you wouldn't mind paying the luxury tax for, and they will after Ben Wallace's new contract. If the Pistons make the finals again this year, you can officially anoint them as a dynasty. Judging by their long-term contracts, they will be a dynasty for at least another three years. The rest of the Eastern Conference is cringing.

Bonus Points… for finally giving up on Darko. It may have been a difficult pill to swallow, but Joe Dumars finally made the right decision. You can't really draft a project player and expect him to develop by not playing him. I'm sure Dumars isn't losing any sleep over the whole ordeal, especially if Detroit adds another championship ring this year.

Grade: A-

Shade
05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Man, I would love to pry Rip away from Detroit. Peja at the 3 & Rip at the 2 = :drool:

I wonder if we have anything that would make the Pistons bite (outside of Danny)?

Kstat
05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Man, I would love to pry Rip away from Detroit. Peja at the 3 & Rip at the 2 = :drool:

I wonder if we have anything that would make the Pistons bite (outside of Danny)?

:laugh: you been taking crazy pills today, Shade?

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 06:16 PM

Umm....maybe they would bite for Peja. :whoknows:

Shade
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
:laugh: you been taking crazy pills today, Shade?

Today?

I don't think so... :uhoh:

Shade
05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
How about JO for Rip? :eyebrow: :brick:

VF21
05-28-2006, 07:14 PM
No offense VF21, but I find that really funny coming from someone who has Ron Artest on their team. :laugh:

In fact, it's so funny that it still hurts. :(

I realize the irony of my statement. Right now, Artest is the OLD time bomb. Having John Whisenant as our new head coach is something with arguably a much shorter fuse...

My team may be looking at new mascots next.

Two charging locomotives, starting five miles apart on the same track, and going full throttle towards each other towards the inevitable...

http://www.trainweb.org/panama/old/trainwreck.jpg

Kingsfanbmiller
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Ben, he'll ask for too much money and it'll be stupid for them to give him that much. S&T him somewhere.

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Ben, he'll ask for too much money and it'll be stupid for them to give him that much. S&T him somewhere.

I think if anybody asks for too much money it will be a role player. The Pistons' realize they have the best starting five in the league and they want to keep it that way.

Fool
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I never would have said so last week, but it now looks like Ben will be the first to be gone. If not off the team, then at least off the starters list.

SoupIsGood
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I never would have said so last week, but it now looks like Ben will be the first to be gone. If not off the team, then at least off the starters list.

Why?

Fool
06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
The way the playoffs have continued to go and the recent Det News article touching on Ben's free agency.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21535

SoupIsGood
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Hmmm.... I just read through that.

I don't think Ben is the problem. Dallas still plays Diop and Dampier, and they win.

THE problem is the fact that detroit has no slashers. As good as they are at the 1, 2, and 3 positions.... they really need a slasher. I don't know what they should do about it.... but they need one. Bench Prince and somehow bring in a slasher? I dunno.

Bringing Ben off the bench may be a great idea though, with all the energy he brings. Would he do it?

Fool
06-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I'm definately not in favor of not having Ben Wallace on the team and I do think that a lot of the talk is falling on Ben because he's the easiest one to point out when the team struggles offensively.

They definately do need a slasher and I don't know if Ben would take a bench roll. Rasheed definately would (and has said so numerous times), Ben was on the bench for the end of this last game but I don't know if he'd play from the bench (or if its even a good idea). There has always been talk of taking Ben out in key moments and I've ALWAYS been against it as he's always added more than he's subtracted. In general I think that if the offense is running bad enough that Ben is more of a detriment then he is a bonus, then there is something wrong with the offense.

Robertmto
06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I just don't see the Pistons letting a 4 time DPOY go.

Shade
07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
In light of news of Ben's becoming a Bull:

:bump: