PDA

View Full Version : The trade-the-whole-roster theory

rabid
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted, but of course I lurk daily as always...

With all the talk about roster changes (and the fear that TBTB aren't going to do enough), I think it's interesting to note that two of the final four teams in the playoffs (Miami and Phoenix) made huge overhauls in their rosters last off-season and are as good or better then they were last year.

Granted, these teams were better than the P's to begin with and had more chips to work with. And both teams kept their core players (who are great players).

Still... I hope/pray that Donnie and Larry take this into consideration. If you play your cards right, major changes CAN be made quickly in order to improve a roster. It just has to be done intelligently, with a firm plan in place based on CHEMISTRY and a clear plan for what sort of style you want your team to play and how they will be coached.

The more I hear from TBTB about how we might make a little change here, a little change there, etc. the more disappointed/frightened I get - especially when I see how successful teams like Phoenix, Dallas, Miami etc. have been playing a more offensive-minded style.

I actually like the group of guys we have (even Jax and Tins) more than many on this board, but damn I got really sick of watching this team at times toward the end of the season. It's going to be really hard to get excited about this squad if we have the same coach, same style and same core group next year - esp on nights when we play western-style teams.

That is all. </end rant>

Skaut_Ech
05-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted, but of course I lurk daily as always...

With all the talk about roster changes (and the fear that TBTB aren't going to do enough), I think it's interesting to note that two of the final four teams in the playoffs (Miami and Phoenix) made huge overhauls in their rosters last off-season and are as good or better then they were last year.

Granted, these teams were better than the P's to begin with and had more chips to work with. And both teams kept their core players (who are great players).

Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing last night watching the game.

I was thinking about how many posters slammed on Miami all season long about how there are too many egos, only one ball to go around, etc.

I don't like Miami, but I was always pretty much of the thought that they'd put things together when it counts. Why? Riley. Not that he's this super-duper coach, but he has force of personality and I think that is huge.

Do you think he would have put up with the dissention we had in our locker room? I think not. From where I'm sitting, after that one loss where a couple of players were ejected and Riley gave faint apologies through gritted teeth, Miami has been a LOT better. You just know he put a foot in their butts, then started doing the can-can.

I just hate that the phrase "blowing up the team" has become such a commonplace description, when re-tooling is much more accurate and insightful analysis in certain situations.

What Atlanta did a few years ago was "blow the team up." Miami and the Heat retooled. There is a big difference. Even if we were to trade only Jax and Tinsley :fingerscr:cloud9:, that would strike me as ro-tooling, even IF that does comprise %40 of our starters.

Young
05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
You don't change your whole roster unless you have went as far as you can go with them.

The Heat were stupid to do what they did. I still believe that. I don't think you can have players who need the ball in their hands on the same team as Shaq and Wade. They are in the Conference Finals because other than Detroit, there isn't much competition in the East for a 7 game series. The Heat are good but I don't they are as good as they could be if they would have acquired some guys who can spot up and play a little without the ball.

As far as the Suns, it is not very often you remake your whole roster and play as well as they do. They had to make those changes though because they lacked defense.

I don't understand the logic for the Heat doing what they did. I do understand why the Suns did what they did.

Of course the Pacers are likely to blow the team up when you think about it. I can't see Tinsley and Jackson returning. Peja is likely to be re-signed but may not be. We could have a new starting center. Who knows what will happen with our bench guys.

Tim
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
It was a smart thing for Donnie to go public and say he isn't going to make major moves. If he did, every player on the team would have dropped a bit in value overnight, no one pays full price at a fire sale.

rabid
05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't know, I just get the feeling that trading Jax, Tins and letting Freddie go ain't enough. The more I watch these playoffs, the more I think we need a new coaching style and a full complement of players that can execute that style. That just isn't going to happen with this roster unless major, major changes are made.

ChicagoJ
05-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Don't get my hopes up...

:D