PDA

View Full Version : Great article by Simmons

Shaggy
05-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Searched and didn't see this posted anywhere. As funny as Simmons can be, he also has a great feel for the NBA game. The only "huh" part of this article is the quote about Hinrich.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060517

JayRedd
05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Searched and didn't see this posted anywhere. As funny as Simmons can be, he also has a great feel for the NBA game. The only "huh" part of this article is the quote about Hinrich.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060517

Yeah...good article.

When you watched Dallas Mavericks Era Nash, did you ever think you were watching a future back to back MVP? I think what he's saying with Hinrich is that players without 90s superstar-type talent can flourish greatly in this "small ball" game if they have the right skill set.

Obviously, 3-time MVP Hinrich is not happening, but in the right system, I think he could be considered a Top 3-5 PG in this league at some point in the next decade.

pizza guy
05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
That was a very interesting read. However, I have trouble buying the Small Ball game. Obviously, Dallas and PHX are doing quite well with it, reaching the WCF. But, honestly, it's going to take a lot for me to be completely convinced. Either of them beating the Pistons' 'old school' game will be a good start at it though.

I look at Detroit though and I see how the game is supposed to be played. All five of their starters play their positions like the books says you're supposed to - their builds, skill sets, everything. They do it, not only with defense, but with execution on offense; offense that starts with motion, passing, and very good players.

Maybe teams don't have to be all defense, and maybe they can be all offense. But, give me a team that knows how to play both, and I'll give you a champion.

rexnom
05-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Didn't we talk about this like last week when the article came out? Right after UB came up with the same theory?

pizza guy
05-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Gues I didn't notice it was that old of an article, but yes, UB's theory was right on the same idea.

grace
05-23-2006, 11:52 PM
The most shocking television moment of May sweeps didn't involve Terry failing to make the final two on "Survivor," thereby costing grace $50 in the process.

fixed. :bawl:

Anthem
05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
That was a very interesting read. However, I have trouble buying the Small Ball game. Obviously, Dallas and PHX are doing quite well with it, reaching the WCF. But, honestly, it's going to take a lot for me to be completely convinced. Either of them beating the Pistons' 'old school' game will be a good start at it though.
Simmons has the right idea... as a coach, you play your best five regardless of position. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try and build a well-rounded team.

And any lineup where we play Eddie Gill as the SF cannot be seen as playing your best five regardless of position.