PDA

View Full Version : When there is no one else...

RWB
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
When there is no one else to blame, blame the fans?:confused:

Check out the Ps blog. Are we feeling a little defensive?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fan_blog.html

bulletproof
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
One man's opinion.

Bball
05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
One man's opinion.

I seem to recall reading more than one post there blaming the fans or being critical of the fans.

-Bball

RWB
05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I seem to recall reading more than one post there blaming the fans or being critical of the fans.

-Bball
I think Bball get's it.

And I have no problem (sorry Skaut) with what the fans are saying. I just found it interesting you have 3 posts in a row, on a Pacers official site, with a little side dig about fan support.

Maybe nothing, but sometimes it's fun to read between the lines.
Once again, think about what is being said. Did they run out of letters to post?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fan_blog.html

" I never thought of Pacer fans as being fair-weather fans. But I guess I was wrong. Hopefully the fans will improve."

"We as fans can show our frustration and lack of support but all that does is put more pressure on the team and create more negative energy and uncertainty. I being a lifelong Pacer fan still support them no matter what just like a marriage, good and bad times, in sickness and in health"

"I think we might be a little spoiled. For this organization to make the playoffs two years in a row with the unforeseeables we've all been through is a testimony to the core strength of this franchise. I think we have all seen what this team can do when they come together as a team. Larry Bird is right, selflessness and attitude are key. That includes us as fans."

Knucklehead Warrior
05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
And I have no problem (sorry Skaut) with what the fans are saying. I just found it interesting you have 3 posts in a row, on a Pacers official site, with a little side dig about fan support."

They can say whatever they want. Anybody notice they're all from out of town?

ABADays
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Some interesting reading - particularly about the fans. I have been around a long time and I have always found blaming fans to be almost laughable. To me it's almost like blaming shoppers for a store closing even though the store never had any variety and the product was crappy. Or, the neighborhood movie theatre closing because viewers wouldn't go see the same movie 10 times in a row - and again because it was crappy.

Fans are paying an increasingly higher price to be fans. In exchange, the product better be good. The NBA isn't our product, the Pacers are. One of the posters stated it was the hardest season he had ever gone through. Maybe through suppression I have forgoten about others but I can tell you I did not enjoy this season one bit. If there is more of the same next year, I can guarantee I will become almost indifferent. If it stays the same, it indicates to me the front office doesn't care what I think of or want as a fan.

The ball in theirs and the players court - not mine.

Iceman1
05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Some interesting reading - particularly about the fans. I have been around a long time and I have always found blaming fans to be almost laughable. To me it's almost like blaming shoppers for a store closing even though the store never had any variety and the product was crappy. Or, the neighborhood movie theatre closing because viewers wouldn't go see the same movie 10 times in a row - and again because it was crappy.

Fans are paying an increasingly higher price to be fans. In exchange, the product better be good. The NBA isn't our product, the Pacers are. One of the posters stated it was the hardest season he had ever gone through. Maybe through suppression I have forgoten about others but I can tell you I did not enjoy this season one bit. If there is more of the same next year, I can guarantee I will become almost indifferent. If it stays the same, it indicates to me the front office doesn't care what I think of or want as a fan.

The ball in tgheirs and the players court - not mine.
Great post......I feel the exact same way. Changes need to be made.

Skaut_Ech
05-23-2006, 12:36 PM
The way I see it, it's a one way street and we're facing oncoming traffic. The organization and players give this attitude that no matter what they do, we're supposed to be shelling out the cash, sitting in our seast and lustily cheering them on.

They don't ask us who to draft.

They don't ask us who we want as coach.

They don't ask what players we want, uniforms we want them to wear.....we don't have a voice. Save one.

Not showing up for games.

That's the only way our voice is heard. I don't think fans are spoiled. I think the opposite. I think the Pacer's organization is spoiled. They expect us there in the Fieldhouse no matter what kind of product they put on the floor. For the first time I can remember, fans are finally letting the Pacer's know how they feel about the direction we've been going.

To be honest, after about the third letter, I quit reading. You can give support without rewarding a bad product. To make an analogy, it's like those parents who think everything their kid does is wonderful and they can never do wrong, even when they're wrong. Or are you a parent who teaches them some hard lessons, but still love them, but you know it's for their own good.

Sometimes tough love is the best reality check, cause if they ones who love you can't put a boot in your keister to set you straight...who can?

Since86
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow, great post Skaut

Knucklehead Warrior
05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
The way I see it, it's a one way street and we're facing oncoming traffic. The organization and players give this attitude that no matter what they do, we're supposed to be shelling out the cash, sitting in our seast and lustily cheering them on.

They don't ask us who to draft.

They don't ask us who we want as coach.

They don't ask what players we want, uniforms we want them to wear.....we don't have a voice. Save one.

Not showing up for games.

That's the only way our voice is heard. I don't think fans are spoiled. I think the opposite. I think the Pacer's organization is spoiled. They expect us there in the Fieldhouse no matter what kind of product they put on the floor. For the first time I can remember, fans are finally letting the Pacer's know how they feel about the direction we've been going.

To be honest, after about the third letter, I quit reading. You can give support without rewarding a bad product.

Ditto. Nice post. Although I don't think the Ps have taken us for granted, I know that IMS, for instance, has. Now they are begging for ticket buyers and I say "go fish".

Now sit back and wait for those other fans to comment, the ones who will criticize booing and not having rabid 100% we-got-your-back support no matter the :censored: what and if you don't agree, then well you're just not a true fan. :-p

Bball
05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Skaut,
That might be a post of the year nominee.

I have to wonder if management has, or will, misjudge the fans in all of this. Fans might still be 'fans' BUT they doesn't mean they'll support the team with their wallet.

IMHO the Pacers are in danger of slipping into a very dark place, if they aren't already there, and it won't be easy to pull them back out with the current modus operandi.

-Bball