PDA

View Full Version : Draft Express has us taking . . .

Will Galen
05-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Mardy Collins, a 6'6 Senior pointguard from Temple.

Complete draft
http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006

Mardy Collins
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=340

I would cut and paste what they say about him, but the site has somehow disabled the ability to do that. Any way around that?

Frank Slade
05-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Click the top right hand corner for Printer Friendly Version

You then can cut and paste :)

Hicks
05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
They disabled click and drag, but not CTRL + A, followed by CTRL + C . :D

*edit* The printer-friendly version looks better so I'm switching to that.

Name:Mardy Collins
Height:6' 6"
Weight:220 pounds
Current Team:Temple , Senior

NBA Position:PG/SG
Date of Birth:8/4/1984 (21 Years Old)
High School:Simon Gratz
Hometown:Philadelphia, PA
Earliest Draft Class:2005
Current Position:PG
Possible Positions:PG
Best Case Scenario:A Rich Man's Marko Jaric
Worst Case Scenario:Jeryl Sasser
Profile Written By:Jonathan Givony
Last Updated:3/21/2006

Strengths:
A legit 6-6 point guard. Mardy Collins has great size for the position, and unlike many converted wing to point prospects, really plays like one too. He is not a spectacular athlete, but is highly fluid in his movements, has extremely quick feet and outstanding instincts.

Collins is a highly unselfish player that controls tempo and plays the game with tremendous poise and patience. He’s a coach’s dream since he always plays within himself, never forces things and rarely makes unforced errors. Being smart and fundamentally sound, he seems to have a great understanding of the game; knowing when to look for his shot and when to get his teammates involved.

He has very good playmaking skills, running his team's halfcourt offense to perfection and executing extremely well. His court vision is excellent, utilizing his height to see the entire floor and being able to make passes that most shorter point guards just can’t, particularly into the post. His passing skills aren’t particularly flashy, as he’s more of your fundamental bounce pass-type who just gets the job done effectively. Typically strict Hall of Fame coach John Chaney appears to trust him with eyes closed.

Collins is an excellent ball-handler as well, dribbling the ball low to the ground with an array of hesitation moves and great confidence. Despite having just an above average first step, he is able to create his shot with ease at the college level thanks to all the many tricks he has in his arsenal, by using his head more than he does his feet. His ability to change gears and keep his man on his heels thanks to his assortment of head and body fakes helps him out greatly in this area. He has a strong crossover that he likes to use to get defenders off balance and either slash to the hoop, possibly using a spin-move, or pull up for the jump shot from mid-range, especially right around the free throw line. Once he gets to the rim he finishes creatively, utilizing his strength and toughness as well as his craftiness to usually score with a layup off the glass, and being just as effective after taking contact.

Collins loves to post up his man right on the edge of the paint or starting at the free throw line. His strength, footwork and overall intelligence help him out greatly here, being able to either find the open man if the double team comes, pull up for a turnaround jumper, or make his way all to the way to the basket.

Even though his perimeter shot is not particularly effective, it isn’t because of flawed mechanics or anything of that nature. Collins gets nice elevation on his jump shot, has a pretty high, albeit slow, release and looks smooth delivering his jumper. He is more effective from mid-range at the moment than he is from long-range, but considering his mechanics and his excellent work-ethic, it wouldn’t surprise anyone to see him become an acceptable shooter from behind the arc in the NBA down the road. Right now he is forced to take too many tough, contested perimeter shots at the end of the shot-clock because of Temple’s archaic style of offense, something that obviously hurts his shooting percentages. Being the type of player who doesn’t seem to give a damn about his stats, this doesn’t appear to really bother Collins since that’s just what his coach asks him to do.

Another attractive part of his game is his defensive ability. Collins plays at the top of John Chaney’s trademark matchup zone, and has established himself as one of the top ball-hawks in the country over the past four years. He has superb hands and outstanding anticipation skills, and his excellent footwork, wingspan and lateral movement do the rest. He gets his hands on a huge amount of deflections every game, coming up with steals, blocks and igniting the fast break for his team and often finishing it himself. He's also a solid rebounder for his position, averaging just under 5 per game on the year.

Collins is a very experienced basketball player, starting in every game for Temple since he stepped on campus. He keeps himself in fantastic shape, playing the full 40 minutes for his team more often then not, even as a Sophomore, but especially as a Junior and Senior, usually looking as if he isn't breaking a sweat.

Collins’ intangibles are outstanding, possessing fine leadership skills and an excellent demeanor on the floor. He’s an intelligent player both on and off the court who does exactly what’s asked of him by his coaches.

Weaknesses:
The worst thing you could say about Mardy Collins is that he’s a likely role player. His upside is not off the charts, and he will never be the type of player who can consistently lead an NBA team in scoring.

Part of the reason for that is that he’s a good athlete, but not a freak. He makes the most of what he has, but he’s not incredibly quick, nor explosive.

A major knock on Collins is his very average perimeter shooting ability. He’s only averaging about 31% from behind the arc on the year, on about 4.5 attempts per game. As indicated already, part of this has to do with his team’s style of play and Collins’ role on the floor, which forces him to shoot 3-pointers way more than he should be and in extremely difficult situations too. The fact that his release is not extremely quick does not do him many favors here, as in the last few seconds before the shot-clock expires defenders will crowd him excessively knowing that he’s the one who will likely take the shot.

Collins' free throw shooting is shockingly poor, at a paltry 59.6%.

Some of the biggest questions about Collins’ pro potential often revolved around the fact that he plays for possibly the worst system in college basketball for putting up numbers and displaying NBA caliber skills. It’s difficult to project how a player will perform in an NBA system when his college team plays a style that couldn’t possibly be any different from how NBA teams play.

John Chaney’s Temple team has always been known as a grind it out team that plays an extremely active matchup zone that forces its rivals to wear down the entire shot-clock and then grind it out defensively just as much on the other end of the floor as well. Temple is consistently the team that averages the fewest amount of turnovers in Division 1 basketball (under 8 per game this season) and the paltry amount of offensive possessions his team accumulates, exaggerated ball-movement and lack of one on one shot-creating opportunities is the main reason for that.

His team hasn’t won too many games over the past few years, never making the NCAA tournament and getting knocked out of the first round of the NIT this season after Collins went down with a serious looking injury in overtime against Hofstra. To his credit it must be mentioned that most of his teammates (but not all) are not the type of players who would usually be recruited by an Atlantic-10 conference team. Coach Chaney’s stark demeanor, harsh discipline and incredibly unattractive system means that most (but not all) talented players in the Philadelphia area decide to commit elsewhere.

Competition:
Collins plays in the Atlantic-10, a conference that has seen better days since the departure of Jameer Nelson and Delonte West when St. Joe’s was one of the top 5 teams in the country. Temple only went 8-8 in-conference, and 17-15 overall.

They actually played a very strong out of conference schedule though, beating teams like Miami (19 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 turnover), Alabama, South Carolina and Maryland and losing to Rutgers, Auburn, Villanova and Duke (26 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 turnovers).

On the year, Collins averaged 16.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 turnovers, shooting 43% from the field and 30.7% from behind the arc.

Outlook:
The senior Collins has likely established himself as a lock for the 1st round with the way he's played this year, along with his potential as a unique NBA player and the lack of depth at the point guard position in this draft class.

He's not the type of player that is expected to attend the Orlando pre-draft camp, so most of the fluctuation in his stock now that the season is over will come from his private workouts. It might be difficult for him to shine here considering that a lot of the focus here is on testing athletic ability and perimeter shooting skills. Collins might have a tough time showing off his point guard and leadership skills, so NBA teams will likely take that into consideration.

Comments:
"He's a smooth player," said Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski of Collins, comparing the 6-foot-6 guard to former Knicks star Walt Frazier. Collins is one of the better players we've played against in the last couple years. We put good pressure on the ball and thought we might be able to wear him out. He didn't get worn out. He was just there all the time. He's a really, really good player - and I've seen good players... He's going to be a hell of a player for a long time."

He's a bona fide point guard," said Temple Coach John Chaney of Collins. "His name is never mentioned, but he's tough as they come. And he wasn't a point guard when I got him, so I've done a hell of a job with him.

... His timing of what to do and when to do it is getting better and better. Whether he scores or not, that's not what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about a guy who takes the challenge and that's what he does. He's a great leader. He's turning out to be something special for us."

"He's my kind of a point guard," Chaney said. "He doesn't throw the ball away, and he can also put everyone in their own room -- he's patient enough to get his shot last as long as he can orchestrate for the other guys."

He outclassed and outplayed him, there's no question about it." -- Temple coach John Chaney, on point guard Mardy Collins (25 points, seven steals), who clearly outperformed Wake Forest star Chris Paul (nine points, eight assists) in a 67-64 Wake win on Dec. 13.

Xavier coach Sean Miller: "the guy who has the ball, in my opinion, is as good as any player in college basketball, Mardy Collins."

Unclebuck
05-22-2006, 09:31 AM
If he's as good as it sounds here, then I can't imagine he'll be available when we pick. DW has always liked big point guards.

Frank Slade
05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
If he's as good as it sounds here, then I can't imagine he'll be available when we pick. DW has always liked big point guards.

Yes alot of boards have him going higher around 11-15. I can see Philly snagging the hometown boy. Plus this site has Roby and Shawne Williams going in the second round which most every site I have seen have both of them going between 11-25. Then again you never know..

Slick Pinkham
05-22-2006, 09:42 AM
The purpose of starting a "mock draft thread" a week or so ago was so that we wouldn't have to have a new thread every single time that some other web site has a new projection.

But the concept hasn't seemed to catch on.

A big PG would can really play would be great. There are always an abundance of very good but too short 2-guards (e.g. Fred) that would benefit from the defensive flip-flop, guarding the opposing PG while having your bigger PG backcourt partner covering the opposing SG.

Hicks
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM

I don't know. Reading the weaknesses, he sounds like a guy who would go in the mid to late first round. Especially when you throw in that he's not extremely atheletic, and that his only pre-draft work outs are going to be private ones that emphasize said atheleticism. Could make him slip.

owl
05-22-2006, 09:46 AM
I agree with your thought UB. Vern Fleming was before Walsh but
Walsh thought George McCloud would be another Magic Johnson.
Collins would not be a bad pick.
I see the following players as possible picks for the Pacers

Rondo
Reddick
Douby
Collins
Maurice Ager
Shelden Williams
James White

Skaut_Ech
05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I read senior PG and quit reading. (not really.) That's all I had to read. My big thing is I want a player with as much college under his belt as possible.

FrenchConnection
05-22-2006, 10:18 AM
My favorite thing here is Cheney patting himself on the back for his own job. He is supposed to talk up the player, not himself.

Anthem
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Sounds good to me.

Everybody's saying it's a weak draft, but it sure sounds like there are several good players that could be available when we pick.

microwave_oven
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
This draft isn't a spectacular draft, but it is a deep solid draft. The great athletes won't be there, and there is less "potential" but most of the players are going to be solid at the very least. With that said, I don't believe Mardy Collins will drop to us. But with him only doing private workouts, I could see him falling. Either way I want him or Kyle Lowry with the 17th pick. If either fell to us I would be exstatic.

Kegboy
05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I love Temple kids. If a kid can survive 4 years of Chaney, he can survive anything. Plus, if he's the lead defender, as is the case here, then he's been turned into a pitbull on D.

Alas, I don't see us getting him. Hoopshype has him going #10.

Unclebuck
05-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I love Temple kids. If a kid can survive 4 years of Chaney, he can survive anything. Plus, if he's the lead defender, as is the case here, then he's been turned into a pitbull on D.

I like Temple kids also. (although Mark Macon comes to mind) But that is a tough program to go through

Los Angeles
05-22-2006, 11:55 AM
I like Temple kids in Temple.

After that, they seem to disappear.

But I guess that's the case with any athlete that chooses the NCAA over going pro. :shrug:

Kegboy
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I like Temple kids in Temple.

After that, they seem to disappear.

But I guess that's the case with any athlete that chooses the NCAA over going pro. :shrug:

Most of his kids aren't talented enough to make the NBA. Those who are though, they come out with a great head on their shoulders. Eddie Jones is a prime example.

Los Angeles
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
The similarities to BK's IU are too powerful for me.

I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Where is the line between "molding young minds" and "dominating weaker minds"?

Frank Slade
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
I would not be surprised if Philly snags hims if he drops... They have a history of aquiring and then usually trading Temple or Philly Area players.

Aaron McKie who Marty is being comparted to.. Temple Grad
John Salmons Graduated from a Philly H.S
Marc Jackson Temple Grad..

hmmm

The similarities to BK's IU are too powerful for me.

I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Where is the line between "molding young minds" and "dominating weaker minds"?
Yes, I was waiting for someone to comment on that, and actually to an extent Duke came to mind for me.

CableKC
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
If we had to draft a PG....I would want Mardy Collins....mainly for his defensive skills. But unfortunately, that is the very reason why teams ahead of the Pacers that need a PG like Collins.

For this year's draft.......Bird and Walsh will have to really do their homework....if some sleeper ( like that James White kid or Patrick O'Bryant )go much earlier then expected....then we can be in a situation where 2 or 3 players that are high on their list falls to the Pacers.

PacerMan
05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll take the pg from Kentucky. Ugly shot, but super quick and super defensively.

BoomBaby31
05-23-2006, 12:58 AM
I say we take Jordan Farmar... They said best case scenirio is steve nash but, he reminds me of a Jason Kidd more then a Steve Nash. If J.J does drop to 11 should we trade up to snag him especially if Peja doesn't resign?

BoomBaby31
05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
I'll take the pg from Kentucky. Ugly shot, but super quick and super defensively.

Who? Patrick Sparks maybe? Sparks isn't going to get drafted but, I think we should invited him to workouts and see what he can do. I believe he can do good at a backup and MAYBE be a super story if someone gives him a chance, and the right team (like us) is the one giving the chance.

Will Galen
05-23-2006, 01:11 AM
If J.J does drop to 11 should we trade up to snag him especially if Peja doesn't resign?

We won't know whether Peja will resign until after the draft. Right now he's still under contract and hasn't opted out yet.

PacerMan
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Who? Patrick Sparks maybe? Sparks isn't going to get drafted but, I think we should invited him to workouts and see what he can do. I believe he can do good at a backup and MAYBE be a super story if someone gives him a chance, and the right team (like us) is the one giving the chance.

Rajon Rando (sp).
Might be a bit of a stretch at our position but he brings what we need badly. Extreme quickness and defensive pressure on the ball. If we can trade for a shooter at the 2 spot and get much quicker at the 1, I'll be happy.

Slick Pinkham
05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd like Rondo, if he has the proper work ethic to change his shot mechanics.

He could have a Tony Parker-like impact but like Parker he enters the league with no jump shot. Tony has worked hard to make his J good enough that it must be respected.

Other guards seem to be able to improve their shot also, if they work hard. Fred has improved tremendously. It seems harder for big guys to improve as much on jump shooting.

owl
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Rajon Rando (sp).
Might be a bit of a stretch at our position but he brings what we need badly. Extreme quickness and defensive pressure on the ball. If we can trade for a shooter at the 2 spot and get much quicker at the 1, I'll be happy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

If Rondo at 17 then make a trade for a second pick and get White.

If White or Douby at 17 then take a Terrell Everett in the second
or again trade up to get a Rondo or Farmar. Trade a 2008 number one
if necessary. This draft is good for point guards and shooting guards
in the middle to lower parts of the first round.
The 2007 draft will be very deep with bigmen.

owl

able
05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
After reading who the Knicks had in for a workout, wonder who we are getting in for a workout

just curious :D

JayRedd
05-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I say we take Jordan Farmar... They said best case scenirio is steve nash but, he reminds me of a Jason Kidd more then a Steve Nash. If J.J does drop to 11 should we trade up to snag him especially if Peja doesn't resign?

You can't be serious...ditto the the guy who's comparing a defensive minded, no-jump-shot-having Rondo to Tony Parker. I don't mind Rondo, but Parker? CMon.

As for Collins...The knock on him is that he can't shoot to save his life. These are his season %s at Temple:

FG% -- FT% -- 3P%
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD>.370</TD><TD>-- .675</TD><TD>-- .298</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD>.377</TD><TD>-- .598</TD><TD>-- .290</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD>.416</TD><TD>-- .644</TD><TD>-- .276</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD>.432</TD><TD>-- .596</TD><TD>-- .307</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm all for a PG that can play some defense, but those percentages are just disgusting. JO has enough trouble with double teams and getting bogged down in the paint with AJ, Sarunas or TinMan standing out behind the arc. Imagine what this guy's three-point percentages will look like when he moves back four feet and isn't playing against Atlantic 10 defenders.

No thanks.

JayRedd
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Other guards seem to be able to improve their shot also, if they work hard. Fred has improved tremendously. It seems harder for big guys to improve as much on jump shooting.

Not sure where you're getting this from

CableKC
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2455176

Cal's Leon Powe told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he is signing with agent Aaron Goodwin so he can fully participate in the draft process.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/40628/20060523/powe_to_go_pro/

Powe is expected to be selected in the mid-late first round, but has hopes of going top-10

Jermainiac can now rejoice!!!!

owl
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Powe will be lucky to be drafted in the second round.

Shooting ability and quickness will determine who the Pacers draft.
Douby is at the top of the list.
You could probably add Novak in there because of his superb shooting
ability as a second pick.

Bird is going for the shooter with quickness if possible.

owl

Slick Pinkham
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Not sure where you're getting this from

It is purely my observation that if you draft a big like Jeff Foster and a guard like a guard like Fred Jones, both with limited shooting range as a rookie (say 10 feet for Jeff, 15 for Fred), generally speaking the guard will inprove his range if he is a hard worker, and the big guy will clang them forever.

There are always exceptions, but I know of few big guys who have made as remarkable transformations as some guards.

Eric Snow was a worse free throw shooter than Shaq in his college career. Seriously! Like 30%.

Hard working players can usually learn to shoot better, and in my observation it is more likely to be a dramatic change with a guard than with a big guy.

Slick Pinkham
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
You can't be serious...ditto the the guy who's comparing a defensive minded, no-jump-shot-having Rondo to Tony Parker. I don't mind Rondo, but Parker? CMon.

Nobody compared Rondo to Parker, except for the observation that Parker was drafted all the way at the end of the first round because his shooting range was approximately that of Jeff Foster. Broad side of a barn level.

If you think that the player will work hard and develop good mechanics, having a poor jumpshot is not a reason not to pick a guard who has other things going for him. Parker proves that.

I have no idea if Rondo has any of those other things going for him. I just wouldn't bee too scared if he can't beat anybody in a game of HORSE.

But if he just wants a paycheck, he will never help out.

The analysis of the guys character and work ethic is maybe the most important part of his tryout.

CableKC
05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Powe will be lucky to be drafted in the second round.

Shooting ability and quickness will determine who the Pacers draft.
Douby is at the top of the list.
You could probably add Novak in there because of his superb shooting
ability as a second pick.

Bird is going for the shooter with quickness if possible.

owl
I really hope that Novak is avaialble.....but there are many teams out there that would want a player like Novak. In many of the Mock Drafts that I have seen ( and yes....I know you can't really put too much stock in those ), Novak was picked early in the 2nd round.

The problem is that I want Bobby Jones as well.

If I could have my way....I would trade the 1st round pick ( or Freddie ) for another 2nd round pick and some decent veteran backup players.

I really wish the Pacers could figure out a way to get Novak and Jones in the 2nd round. Hell...if we could...I wouldn't even mind Powe.

We need more role-players that can perform specific tasks so that we can be more of a team...rather then a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players that look out for #1...themselves.

Jermaniac
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2455176

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/40628/20060523/powe_to_go_pro/

Jermainiac can now rejoice!!!!
That is who we need. You want Ike Diogu? Well Leon Powe > Ike Diogu. No more Austin Croshere backing up Jermaine.

GET ME LEON

CableKC
05-23-2006, 06:21 PM
That is who we need. You want Ike Diogu? Well Leon Powe > Ike Diogu. No more Austin Croshere backing up Jermaine.

GET ME LEON

I know....I remember that you've been talking about his ever siince we all started about figuring out who to draft...that's why I was point him out. :D

RedPitSea
05-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Thought you guys might want to see one of Danny's good friends and hopefully will get a shot at the next level. Hes number 5 in the video and were going to miss his outstanding D and tough man mentality. Hes the one who looks like a linebacker but plays SG and a little PG. Mark Walters.

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1429500&segment=167396

Unclebuck
05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Here is who Sam Smith has us taking.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-060523samsmithmock,1,3090984,print.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Sam Smith's mock draft
New kid on the block? The Bulls will go for LSU shot-blocker Tyrus Thomas after the Raptors take LaMarcus Aldridge, Sam Smith predicts
Sam Smith
On Pro Basketball

May 24, 2006

1. Raptors--LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11, 245, center, Texas

He will provide the makings of an impressive front court with Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva.

2. Bulls--Tyrus Thomas 6-9, 225, power forward, LSU

Not the post player they need, but he is who Kenyon Martin was supposed to be, a super-athletic shot blocker.

3. Bobcats--Adam Morrison 6-8, 220, small forward, Gonzaga

A scorer and potentially popular young star to team with front-court players Emeka Okafor and Sean May, returning from injuries.

4. Trail Blazers--Brandon Roy 6-5, 195, shooting guard, Washington

Maybe the most ready to play in the NBA. A guy from the general neighborhood who could help begin the stabilization project.

5. Hawks--Marcus Williams 6-2, 200, point guard, UConn

You assume because they are collecting athletic forwards that they will go for Rudy Gay, but they badly need a point guard and he could be a good one.

6. Timberwolves-- Shelden Williams 6-9, 250, power forward, Duke

They desperately need a piece ready to play with Kevin Garnett, assuming they don't break up. Williams can be a Charles Oakley-type player to have Garnett's back.

7. Celtics-- Rudy Gay 6-8, 220, small forward, UConn

Worth taking a shot at the local kid, who many pros regard as the best prospect in the draft because of his skills and physical ability. He just needs some motivation.

8. Rockets -- Rodney Carney 6-7, 205, small forward, Memphis

They are looking to get faster and more athletic, and he and Thomas are regarded as the best athletes in this draft.

9. Warriors--Andrea Bargnani 6-11, 240, power forward, Italy

He's one of the better talents of the draft. Though he's similar to Troy Murphy, he would be a good choice to allow Murphy to go in trade for a needed piece.

10. SuperSonics -- Mardy Collins -- 6-6, 205, point guard, Temple

You get the feeling they aren't thrilled with Luke Ridnour and Collins is a big guard with a nice feel for the game.

11. Magic -- J.J. Redick 6-4, 190, shooting guard, Duke

This is higher than many draft experts project, but Magic is said to like him to help spread the court for Dwight Howard.

12. Hornets -- Patrick O'Bryant 7-0, 250, center, Bradley

They need size and, although he's not ready, he will be a legitimate center someday.

13. 76ers -- Randy Foye 6-3, 205, point guard, Villanova

They would love this talented combo guard and local product to fall and give them further reason to deal Allen Iverson.

14. Jazz -- Ronnie Brewer 6-7, 217, shooting guard, Arkansas

Would be a good fit with Deron Williams as Brewer is regarded as the best defensive guard in the draft.

15. Hornets (via Bucks) -- Hilton Armstrong 6-11, 235, power forward, UConn

Something of the next P.J. Brown; a motivated, hard worker who can fit in.

16. Bulls -- Shannon Brown 6-3, 190, shooting guard, Michigan State

They probably would be tempted for more size with someone like Cedric Simmons, but John Paxson says he will get players for Scott Skiles. This tough athlete from Skiles' alma mater can defend and score. He fits, though he is a little small for shooting guard.

17. Pacers -- Sergio Rodriguez 6-3, 180, point guard, Spain

He's a flashy point guard in the mold of Tony Parker and Indiana needs need someone to help get it jump-started again.

18. Wizards -- Cedric Simmons 6-10, 233, power forward, North Carolina State

Perhaps a little smaller, but more of a defensive player that they will be searching for those after that playoff mess.

19. Kings -- Shawne Williams 6-9, 225, small forward, Memphis

Probably worth a shot. He's a talent who's skilled and can post up, though he needs to learn to shoot better.

20. Knicks (via Nuggets) -- Kyle Lowry 6-0, 185, point guard, Villanova

They have two of everything, so who knows. He made Villanova go and Knicks can use him in case they deal Stephon Marbury or make him a shooting guard.

21. Suns (via Lakers) -- Bobby Brown 6-1, 175, point guard, Cal-State Fullerton

They look for guys who fit their style and he could the way he runs and shoots. He can help preserve Steve Nash.

22. Nets (via Clippers) -- Oleksiy Pecherov 6-10, 232, power forward, Ukraine

He's a big man who can be a threat on offense, which they badly lacked this season, though he isn't quite ready.

23. Nets -- Tiago Splitter 7-0, 240, center, Brazil

He may not come this season because of a large buyout, but he's a solid big man and would be worth the wait.

24. Grizzlies -- Rajon Rondo 6-2, 171, point guard, Kentucky

They will let Bobby Jackson go even though there are doubts about Rondo's shooting. Probably projects to be like a T.J. Ford, which isn't bad for this low.

25. Cavaliers -- Jordan Farmar 6-1, 170, point guard, UCLA

They need to get a point guard, though LeBron James has the ball whenever he wants it, and they need to get in the open court if their coach ever will let them.

26. Lakers (via Heat) -- Quincy Douby 6-3, 175, point guard, Rutgers

More of a shooting guard mentality, but they were playing Smush Parker at point so they're not exactly set.

27. Suns -- Maurice Ager 6-4, 202, shooting guard, Michigan State

Another guy who can shoot and they never have enough. He may not drop this far, but is one of those getting mixed reviews before this draft.

28. Mavericks -- Mouhamed Saer Sene 7-0, 235, center, Senegal

Good time for a risk with a big upside. Great athlete who can block shots and could develop big time.

29. Knicks (via Spurs) -- James Augustine 6-10, power forward, Illinois

You don't wish the Knicks on anyone, but a solid, hard-working guy who can play a role is someone they need.

30. Blazers (via Pistons) -- Josh Boone 6-10, 237, power forward, UConn

You would hate to put him in this environment because he is said to have motivation problems, but he has lots of tools.
Copyright &#169; 2006, The Chicago Tribune

Kegboy
05-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Ford has Rondo going at 7, Smith has him at 24. Not saying either one knows what they're talking about, but it goes to show you how wide open this draft is.

CableKC
05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
The only chance that we have of picking a decent player in the draft is if one of the 16 GMs ahead of us pick one of those "Euro" players that pops out of no where or any player that would likely be in the 2nd round that has a few great workouts.

Also....if Cedric Simmons is available at the 17th spot.....I would take him over another European PG.

One more thing......in some mock drafts....Tiago Splitter falls out of the draft completely...or even down past the Pacers. If Splitter decides to stay in the draft with the understanding that he may not come foir another year....or can come this season...but has a huge buyout clause....would you be interested in drafting him?

JayRedd
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
21. Suns (via Lakers) -- Bobby Brown 6-1, 175, point guard, Cal-State Fullerton

We gotta get this guy if he's still on the board...Sure he's a little old and may have a highly publicized drug problem, but the crowd shots of Whitney cheering on her man will make us like the new Tony Parker and Eva Longoria.

FrenchConnection
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
We gotta get this guy if he's still on the board...Sure he's a little old and may have a highly publicized drug problem, but the crowd shots of Whitney cheering on her man will make us like the new Tony Parker and Eva Longoria.

"Everybody's talking all this stuff about me
Now now why don't they just let me live
Oh oh oh i don't need permission
Make my own decisions oh
That's my prerogative"

Kegboy
05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Good in theory, but have you seen Whitney lately? :arrgh:

Kegboy
05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Make my own decisions oh
That's my prerogative"

Great, now I'm gonna have that in my head all day. Bad enough that I heard "Step by Step" on the radio today. :puke:

SoupIsGood
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Roy sounds like this year's Danny Granger, but at SG. He's even got the lingering history knee problems. Any chance he too can drop to number 17? :alcohol:

Young
05-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Here is who Sam Smith has us taking.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-060523samsmithmock,1,3090984,print.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

17. Pacers -- Sergio Rodriguez 6-3, 180, point guard, Spain

He's a flashy point guard in the mold of Tony Parker and Indiana needs need someone to help get it jump-started again.

20. Knicks (via Nuggets) -- Kyle Lowry 6-0, 185, point guard, Villanova

They have two of everything, so who knows. He made Villanova go and Knicks can use him in case they deal Stephon Marbury or make him a shooting guard.

25. Cavaliers -- Jordan Farmar 6-1, 170, point guard, UCLA

They need to get a point guard, though LeBron James has the ball whenever he wants it, and they need to get in the open court if their coach ever will let them.

The Pacers better nor take Serigo over Lowry or Farmar.

themind
05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
The only chance that we have of picking a decent player in the draft is if one of the 16 GMs ahead of us pick one of those "Euro" players that pops out of no where or any player that would likely be in the 2nd round that has a few great workouts.

Also....if Cedric Simmons is available at the 17th spot.....I would take him over another European PG.

One more thing......in some mock drafts....Tiago Splitter falls out of the draft completely...or even down past the Pacers. If Splitter decides to stay in the draft with the understanding that he may not come foir another year....or can come this season...but has a huge buyout clause....would you be interested in drafting him?

Splitter is a bit soft at this point, but in my opinion he can be the second Gasol easily.

P.S. I would take him in a blink ;)

PacerMan
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Make my own decisions oh
That's my prerogative"

Not BB.

JayRedd
05-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Roy sounds like this year's Danny Granger, but at SG. He's even got the lingering history knee problems. Any chance he too can drop to number 17? :alcohol:

Nope...We should trade up for him though

CableKC
05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Splitter is a bit soft at this point, but in my opinion he can be the second Gasol easily.

P.S. I would take him in a blink ;)

He has been on everyone's radar for the last 2 NBA drafts. The only thing I think that has really held him back was a huge buyout and possibilty that he may have to wait in Europe for another season.

I think that if he is not available this season for the draft...then there is a good chance that he will be available next season ( based off of artlcles that I have read about him ) and if he is...there is no way the Pacers can get him. My thought is the Pacers should figure out a way to get him now.....but if he does somehow stay in the draft....pick him up...pay whatever it costs to buy hiim out and then sit and wait for him.

I could only dream about a frontline of JONeal and Splitter.

CableKC
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Nope...We should trade up for him though

Roy has been projected to go in the top 7 spots......and I think he is clearly one of the top 2 SGs in the draft. I don't think that there is anything that we can offer ( that wouldn't cripple us )that would move us up from the 17th to 5th to 7th spot.

CableKC
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Here are the latest workout schedules:

http://www.draftexpress.com/workout.php?tid=9

So far, we have worked out:

Josh Boone - PF for UConn
Chris Quinn - PG for Notre Dame
Aaron Afflalo - SF/SF for UCLA

Although Boone was initially a 1st rounder...I think recent poor workouts have pushed him down to the 2nd round.

JayRedd
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Would love to get Boone at 45...He should be long gone by then though.

CableKC
05-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Reading more on Thabo Sefolosha...some Euro defensive minded SG. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=280

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/thabosefolosha.asp

NBA Comparison: Reece Gaines

Strengths: Has improved considerably in the past year ... A catch and shoot guy ... His offensive game has made great strides, last year he could barely shoot, and now he appears much more confident ... The Italian team he plays for runs a wide open offense which has really helped his game ... Extremely long limbs ... Since adding 10-15 pounds in the past year, he is less afraid of playing physical ... His ball handling and passing ability are his strengths ... Really excels handling the ball ... His defense has improved, always looking for steals, and quickly turns them into fast break opportunities ... Attacks the rim well with excellent leaping ability and body control ...

Weaknesses: Last year he lacked intensity, but he has improved upon it ... Lacks a tremendous offensive feel ... Tends to use his athleticism to his advantage, maybe too much, which he wont be able to do against American players ... Still must improve his offensive game a lot ... Some have doubts about his leadership ability ... His ability to shoot off the dribble is in question ... His midrange game needs a lot of work ... Lacks range on his shot ...

All I want for Christmas is a very solid perimeter defender at Guard/SF spots.

Jermaniac
05-25-2006, 06:26 PM
1st round - Leon Powe or Cedric Simmons
2nd round - Sean Dockery

Frank Slade
05-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Yes just like Granger last year, Roy is a predicted top 10 pick - 4 year player, one of the most safest and NBA ready picks, balanced and well rounded on all ends.. I don't think he slips past 7 or 8 though.. but you never know..

I am surprised no one has brought up Guillermo Diaz... I remember a few months ago he was a mid to low 2nd Rd Pick on most all boards... now some boards have him in the first round... A risky 1st rounder to say the least , but if he slips to the secound round, perhaps worth taking a flyer on....NBA Draft.net actually has Indiana taking him in the 2nd, but I think he may go a littler earlier... But ..he is a tweener combo guard

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=41

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/guillermodiaz.asp

http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2006/guillermodiaz.htm

Frank Slade
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Alexander Johnson Working Himself into 1st Round
(Pacers a possibilty?) Some interesting info on the Big guy Alexander Johnson from FSU
PROFILE (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=165)

If two editions ago of Word on the Street it was Marcus Williams of UConn who had the strongest buzz going for him in NBA circles, and last time it was Cincinnati's James White, this week’s high-riser is Florida State Power Forward Alexander Johnson. DraftExpress got the first shot to watch him workout in an exclusive private workout at the Five-Star Pro Training Center two weeks ago, and has since been getting feedback from private workouts consistent with the statement we made then about Johnson being the “most athletic Power Forward in the draft after Tyrus Thomas.”

Johnson has impressed everyone who has watched him with more than just his athleticism, though, hitting a good amount of his mid-range jumpers, playing with more tenacity than anyone in any workout, playing strong defense, and leaving a favorable impression with his excellent demeanor both on and off the court.

Like his workout buddy Guillermo Diaz, Johnson has been consistently clearing 40 inches on his one-step vertical in the agility tests, and just under 37 inches with no step. Diaz in fact cleared 42 inches with no step and over 48 inches in one workout on the one-step vertical.

After favorable workouts with the Wizards, Lakers and Nets, Johnson appears to be working himself strongly into the 1st round, and will be targeting his best case scenario teams (Chicago, Indiana, and the Wizards once again) against stronger competition if they choose to work out against him.

L I N K (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1312)

Now Alexander Johnson is a different case. He is one of the oldest players in this year's SFT at 23. He has the athleticism and tools to contribute immediately, but he was inconsistent in the ACC last season.

He lost over 20 pounds between his sophomore and junior seasons. He has anywhere from a 36” to a 39” vertical. For someone that's 6'9”, that's very solid; as in late first round good. But can he shake off the inconsistency on the glass? In his last 15 games, he averaged 9.3 boards.

When he grabbed double digits in rebounds, the Seminoles were 6-3. If he can show teams that consistency on the glass was legitimate, then he should become a lock for the first round.

LINK (http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_article/94/20060519/realgm_mock_draft_version_20/)

Robertmto
05-28-2006, 12:11 AM
I am surprised no one has brought up Guillermo Diaz... I remember a few months ago he was a mid to low 2nd Rd Pick on most all boards... now some boards have him in the first round... A risky 1st rounder to say the least , but if he slips to the secound round, perhaps worth taking a flyer on....NBA Draft.net actually has Indiana taking him in the 2nd, but I think he may go a littler earlier... But ..he is a tweener combo guard

I love Guillermo Diaz as a Wizard. We need an explosive pg that can dunk, to back Gilbert up of course.

JayRedd
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I love Guillermo Diaz as a Wizard. We need an explosive pg that can dunk, to back Gilbert up of course.

A point guard that can dunk would be nice...Not sure we actually have one.

PacerMan
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
A point guard that can dunk would be nice...Not sure we actually have one.

AJ dunks very nicely when the mood strikes.

rexnom
05-31-2006, 05:51 PM
AJ dunks very nicely when the mood strikes.
AJ has crazy hops. He throws it down in traffic as well as in on the fast break. I've seen it once in person and it was so magnificent the crowd was absolutely silent in awe.