PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry: Am I missing something?

Eindar
05-20-2006, 01:43 AM
I've been checking out RealGM and national news outlets, and I haven't really heard anything about this, so I thought I'd ask your opinion.

Does Jason Terry become the Steve Bartman of Dallas if they manage to cough up Game 7? Before the suspension was announced, it seemed like Dallas pretty much had it locked up, despite the fact that they'd just lost a close Game 5 in San Antonio. Then they announce his suspension, forcing a young and inexperienced Devin Harris into the starting lineup, along with no true 3rd PG (except, I guess, Darrell Armstrong). That in itself would be enough to rile me up when I've got the defending Finals Champs on the ropes, but I also thought Harris would be equal to the task. Apparently not, since he shot something like 3-14 from the field during Game 6 in another close loss. Is there any way, given that you've got Jason Terry eligible for the game, and with it being at home court, that he doesn't make the difference in this game? Isn't it essentially JT's fault that the Mavs now have to go into one of the hardest places into the world to win a playoff game and face the best player in the league in a game 7? Why are fans in Dallas not coming unglued right now?

I suppose there are some mitigating factors. From the replay, it's hard to see what JT was trying to do, exactly, but a punch is a punch, much the same as stepping onto the court during a fight will get you suspended, no matter what your intent. Also, there is the point that if the Mavs win Game 7, it will be a moot point, so maybe fans and writers are holding their collective breath to see if the Mavs lose before branding Terry the goat and running him out of town. Personally, while I didn't think there'd be an out-and-out witch hunt, I did expect people to be talking about it a lot, and to be honest, the silence has been deafening.

So, if the Mavs lose this series (and possibly their best shot at a title), how big will the backlash be against Jason Terry?

blanket
05-20-2006, 03:02 AM
I don't mind if the Pacers take him off their hands... :signit:

Big Smooth
05-20-2006, 03:26 AM
So, if the Mavs lose this series (and possibly their best shot at a title), how big will the backlash be against Jason Terry?

I can't predict fans and media but I don't think their should be a significant backlash.

Going back to the Bartman example, that was the biggest bunch of crap I've witnessed in my life how people jumped on that guy. And in all honesty, I don't think he even touched the ball first. I know someone who was sitting 2 rows behind and he swears up and down the guy next to Bartman touched the ball then pointed at Bartman to take the heat off himself.

Anyways, the Chicago Cubs had a 3-1 lead in the series. Steve Bartman had nothing to do with the Cubs losing Game 5 or Game 7. And he didn't lose Game 6 either. It was going to be a difficult play for Alou even without fan interference. And the Cubs still had the lead 3-1 in the game with 1 out at that point. Alou threw a fit like a 2 year old, Prior got shaken up, Dusty Baker failed to go out and calm things down. Alex Gonzalez then went Bill Buckner on what would have been an inning ending double play ball.

In other words, there is a lot more in play here.

Dallas had a chance to close the series in Game 5 with Jason Terry. They didn't finish it. In Game 6, they took the lead early, withstood a Spurs rally and had the game there for the taking without Jason Terry. They again failed to finish, including one of the most horrible offensive plays ever down by 3 points when Dirk decided it was a good idea to force up a horrible, contested 3 pointer with plenty of time left ala Jerry Stackhouse in Game 1.

And now Dallas has Game 7 with the full team to finish it again.

For that matter, they let Game 1 slip away too. Led most of the game then blew it down the stretch.

Jason Terry did a dumb thing, but in my eyes he hardly cost them the series if Dallas does indeed lose Game 7.

bulletproof
05-20-2006, 10:23 AM
The suspension was BS. I'm not sure if the replays clearly show that Terry "threw a punch." The NBA is taking this "NBA Cares" thing too far. No one believes it. Drop the act. It's as if Stern wants a bunch of eunuchs playing the game.

Hicks
05-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I still haven't been able to see a replay. If he hit him in the nuts with his fist, that's an automatic 1 game suspension because the rules in place suspend a player for throwing a punch in any circumstance.

Why they let the Reggie Evans nut-grab go without suspension is beyond me.

efx
05-20-2006, 11:00 AM
From one angle it was definately visible that he punched him. Now, what's wierd to me is that Evans didn't get suspended. A grab like that = a punch IMO.

But I do agree with the punch/suspension rule that the league has.

bulletproof
05-20-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think it was a typical punch.

Moses
05-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't think it was a typical punch.
Yeah, It was a sucker punch. He may not have winded up and hit him in the balls..but the intent was there. You can't punch someone like that and not get suspended. I feel a little bit of pity for Finley because of all the boo's he's getting when it's his teams fault he was released.

Shade
05-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Terry definitely gave Finley a quick jab to the nuts. The suspension was legit.

The rules need a major overhaul, however. This "make it up as we go" crap has to stop.

Shade
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, It was a sucker punch. He may not have winded up and hit him in the balls..but the intent was there. You can't punch someone like that and not get suspended. I feel a little bit of pity for Finley because of all the boo's he's getting when it's his teams fault he was released.

Yeah, the Mavs fans are booing him because he signed with their arch-foe. Kinda like us with Dale Davis and the Pistons. Though Finley is playing a much larger role in San Antonio.

Jermaniac
05-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't mind if the Pacers take him off their hands... :signit:I wouldnt mind at all. They can give him to us we will throw in Tinsley to make them feel better.

rexnom
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt mind at all. They can give him to us we will throw in Tinsley to make them feel better.
We're not getting Terry. I would love for the Pacers to prove me wrong but it's not happening.

grace
05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I still haven't been able to see a replay. If he hit him in the nuts with his fist, that's an automatic 1 game suspension because the rules in place suspend a player for throwing a punch in any circumstance.

Why they let the Reggie Evans nut-grab go without suspension is beyond me.

Because grabbing below the belt isn't written down as a suspend-able offense. Punching is.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-20-2006, 05:07 PM
So the moral is, grab, don't punch.

Hicks
05-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Because grabbing below the belt isn't written down as a suspend-able offense. Punching is.

It's not written as an automatic suspension, but they easily could have chosen to give him one.

rexnom
05-20-2006, 06:17 PM
So the moral is, grab, don't punch.
Yes, Avery.

beast23
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I have inlaws that are big Mavs fans living in Waxahatchie, one hour south of Dallas.

Terry's situation is being taken seriously by the fans. Although they are in a state of denial about the alleged punch, and can't believe that he has been suspended, everyone is extremely p!ssed that Terry would have put him in that situation to begin with.

pizza guy
05-20-2006, 09:44 PM
It's pretty obvious that Terry threw a punch, thus he gets a one-game suspension. That isn't really a question to me.

As to whether it would be his fault if Dallas loses the series, I think the Bartman comparison is about perfect. Certainly, it did not help, but there are so many other factors that the blame cannot solely be placed on one incident. If Dallas loses three consecutive games, it won't be because Terry missed one.

Eindar
05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
It's pretty obvious that Terry threw a punch, thus he gets a one-game suspension. That isn't really a question to me.

As to whether it would be his fault if Dallas looses the series, I think the Bartman comparison is about perfect. Certainly, it did not help, but there are so many other factors that the blame cannot solely be placed on one incident. If Dallas looses three consecutive games, it won't be because Terry missed one.

This is all true, but will Dallas fans (And more importantly, Mark Cuban) be that level-headed/forgiving?

Robertmto
05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I think Cuban can be...not the fans.

VF21
05-21-2006, 12:30 AM
I think Cuban can be...not the fans.

But, bottom line, what is Mark Cuban but a loud obnoxious fan who happened to make a big killing in the dotcom boom and was able to buy his own team?

Fool
05-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Then they announce his suspension, forcing a young and inexperienced Devin Harris into the starting lineup

Harris had been starting from game 2 on and was credited as the key change that got them their 3-1 lead.

If it were my team I wouldn't blame Terry for the loss (the Mavs had a realistic chance of winning without him and even late in that game were very close) but he's definately at fault for an incredibly stupid choice.

Robertmto
05-21-2006, 01:51 AM
I think the NBA needs more owners like Cube. He's actually a fan, and he's not just worried about making money.

pizza guy
05-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I think the NBA needs more owners like Cube. He's actually a fan, and he's not just worried about making money.

Certainly, but it's hard to find. Economic opportunities like the .com boom don't happen all the time, and Cuban was fortunate enough to be a part of it.

As for whether or not he'll be forgiving, I can't really say. We hear all the time about how hard New England's media/fanbase is on their sports teams and players, and we know how Chicago people feel about the Cubbies and Black--er, White--Sox. But, really all you hear about Texans is that they love football, and not much else. So, not being a Texan and not knowing a lot about Texans, it's hard for me to judge.

We've been through a similar situation with Ron, in Game 6 against the Pistons. He made a bad decision and it cost us. Certainly, Terry's decision affected Dallas' performance; but if they lose 3 straight, it's more than just that punch.

Robertmto
05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
but if they lose 3 straight, it's more than just that punch.

Exactly, so why does this thread exist? lol

3Ball
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the Mavs fans are booing him because he signed with their arch-foe. Kinda like us with Dale Davis and the Pistons. Though Finley is playing a much larger role in San Antonio.

Yeah, but it wasn't like he jumped ship by surprise. He was tossed over the side! It is pretty strange to see a guy out there and know that BOTH teams are paying him, and Dallas is paying him BY FAR more.

ChicagoJ
05-22-2006, 10:22 AM
But, bottom line, what is Mark Cuban but a loud obnoxious fan who happened to make a big killing in the dotcom boom and was able to buy his own team?

Certainly, but it's hard to find. Economic opportunities like the .com boom don't happen all the time, and Cuban was fortunate enough to be a part of it.

:shakehead

Cuban's a bright businessman. He had a great product and understood the market forces and when he should sell.

There were lots of other people with great products during that era and while some of them sold, many of them did not -- foolishly believing those prices were sustainable.

Besides, what was the inspiration for his business? He (and Todd Wagner) wanted to listen to IU (his alma mater) basketball games via the internet, and thus broadcast.com was formed. That's my kind of basketball fan/ businessman.

Here's a great article from a couple of years ago on Mr. Cuban:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/12/60minutes/main599975.shtml

And the Wikipedia entry is pretty good, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban

Anthem
05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Agreed that Cuban was gonna get rich one way or the other.

The guy's a serial entrepreneur.