PDA

View Full Version : Could we really be Witnessing history?

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm in graduate school for history, so I think alot about the past and it's relationship to the present.

I also live in Ohio (unfortunately).

At first I thought "All this 'Witness' stuff is asinine!" but now that the Cavs have a shot at upseting Detroit, it got me thinking...

If the Cavs win tonight or in the possible game 7, would this be the greatest upset of all time?

What do you guys think?

Tim
05-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm in graduate school for history, so I think alot about the past and it's relationship to the present.

At first I thought "All this 'Witness' stuff is asinine!" but now that the Cavs have a shot at upseting Detroit, it got me thinking...

If the Cavs win tonight or in the possible game 7, would this be the greatest upset of all time?

What do you guys think?

Definately unexpected. My thinking is Detroit was bored and now that the series was tied they would get interested and blow them away. Too bad the Cavs have no fear of Detroit now.

The thing that really has my attention is the West coast. The Clippers are actually serious now. Both the Cavs and the Clippers are no joke, in the same season. It makes me think the world is about to end.

Jermaniac
05-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Pistons are going to win

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Pistons are going to win
Cool, so you think it's 100% on-lock..so I take it you aren't bothering to watch a game that you think is already in the books. That's cool. I'm sure you have that supreme confidence in all games where one team seems better than another...so why ever watch?

Meanwhile, I too think the Pistons will pull it out...but if they don't, is it the greatest upset of all time in the NBA?

Eindar
05-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Pistons are going to win

Rasheed's ankle tells me an entirely different story. I think Detroit's good luck is finally running out.

efx
05-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Didn't you also say the Pacers were going to win game 6 jerm ;)?

Seriously though, guarantees from fans never mean anything.

Trader Joe
05-19-2006, 08:27 PM
OK, Cavs and Clipps possibly in the conference finals has me worried, Cavs and Clipps facing off in the finals? If that happens I expect God and Satan to have courtside seats with Spike Lee.

Jermaniac
05-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Cool, so you think it's 100% on-lock..so I take it you aren't bothering to watch a game that you think is already in the books. That's cool. I'm sure you have that supreme confidence in all games where one team seems better than another...so why ever watch?

You must be mad. Shucks.

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 08:40 PM
You must be mad. Shucks.
I couldn't care less about either of these teams, but I did want to have a discussion which you did nothing to add to...

When you read a question about whether or not something *could* be history, and then you give a response that is better suited for a "Do you think the Pistons will win." thread, expect me to give you a sarcastic response.

Sorry I hurt your feelings Jermaniac..I guess you'll have to read the discussion question in the future before you make pointless comments. Awe shucks.

Jermaniac
05-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Nah you good.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-19-2006, 08:46 PM
This is why there is an IGNORE feature. :rolleyes:

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Nah you good.
Right on.

Now that that's out of the way...what do you think? *IF* the Cavs do win, will it be the biggest upset of all time in the NBA?

Jermaniac
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Probably, I doubt anyone other then the Cavs fans picked the Cavs to even win more then 2 games in this series let alone 4.

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
This is why there is an IGNORE feature. :rolleyes:
True, but hopefully not needed for this post. I'm not all about internet fighting, it's pointless and I'm sure Jermaniac agrees, so it's all good.

I was hoping someone had some insight into other major NBA upsets...

Jermaniac
05-19-2006, 08:49 PM
This is why there is an IGNORE feature. :rolleyes:I hope I have your vote for the Poster You Most Love to Hate award

3Ball
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Pistons over Lakers comes to mind
Golden State over Washington in '75 is way up there
Maybe Rockets over Lakers in 81 finals
maybe Knicks over Heat in '99 (though it didn't last!)

TheLemonSong
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Pistons over Lakers comes to mind
Golden State over Washington in '75 is way up there
Maybe Rockets over Lakers in 81 finals
maybe Knicks over Heat in '99 (though it didn't last!)
I don't know much about the GS v. Wash. or the Rockets v. Lakers matchups but considering *how* the Pistons beat the Lakers a few years back..that has my top vote..

I think that the Pistons are clearly better than the Cavs and that wasn't clear to me when they took on the Lakers...

Another thing...if the Cavs do win, would it be the biggest *choke* in all of Sports since the Yanks coughed it up to the BoSox?

Tim
05-19-2006, 09:36 PM
LEBRON JAMES IS NOT 21 YEARS OLD. IT IS A LIE!!!

Eindar
05-20-2006, 01:30 AM
I'd have to say that the Pistons upset over the Lakers in the Finals was bigger than this could hope to be.

Of course, if we're talking about all sports, the U.S. beating the USSR in the gold medal game of the Olympics has to be the biggest upset in sporting history. That was like going to a Globetrotters game and seeing them lose to the Generals.

Kstat
05-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Of course, if we're talking about all sports, the U.S. beating the USSR in the gold medal game of the Olympics has to be the biggest upset in sporting history. That was like going to a Globetrotters game and seeing them lose to the Generals.

It was the semifinals.

Eindar
05-20-2006, 01:46 AM
It was the semifinals.

I stand corrected, I think I was 4 when it happened, so my memory is a little rusty :)

Regardless, much bigger upset.

Kestas
05-20-2006, 02:10 AM

What do you guys think?

I think Americans have an interesting understanding of history.

Eindar
05-20-2006, 02:24 AM

If you're going to make a statement like that, you need to provide examples of what exactly you're talking about, otherwise it comes out as "ugly, stupid Americans", and does nothing to prove whatever point you were trying to make.

FreshPrince22
05-20-2006, 03:08 AM
The Pistons are just trying to perfectly replicate the 2004 championship run.

2004 Round 1: Beat Bucks 4-1
2006 Round 1: Beat Bucks 4-1

2004 Round 2: Win the first 2 in blowouts. Lose 3 and 4 on the road. Lose a heart breaker in game 5 (3OT) to go down 2-3. Squeek out a must-win game 6 on the road. Win easily at home.
2006 Round 2: Win the first 2 in blowouts. Lose 3 and 4 on the road. Lose a heart breaker in game 5 (by 2) to go down 2-3. Squeek out a must-win game 6 on the road. ???????

;)

We'll see what happens on Sunday.

Big Smooth
05-20-2006, 03:16 AM

Please expand upon that thought. How so?

Tony Valente
05-20-2006, 05:35 AM
2006 Round 2: Win the first 2 in blowouts. Lose 3 and 4 on the road.

Interesting point. I have to argue though how a 97-91 in game 2 could be counted as a blowout ...

DisplacedKnick
05-20-2006, 08:08 AM

What do you guys think?

Uh, no.

Doubt if it even makes the top 50.

For number 1, look at Denver beating Seattle in the 1st rd a few years back - the one where after the game Deke was holding the ball like he was about to make it his love-slave.

Kestas
05-20-2006, 08:09 AM
If you're going to make a statement like that, you need to provide examples of what exactly you're talking about, otherwise it comes out as "ugly, stupid Americans", and does nothing to prove whatever point you were trying to make.

at least half of the posts on these boards do not even try to make a point, so what's the problem?
besides, i think you understand my point very well ;)

i have been educated to understand history as something beyond short-lived entertainment-like events (in other words - showbiz. music, movies, commercial sports, etc.). these things live in their particullar history (sports history, music history, etc.), but to put them in one book with polytical and social events is ridiculous, imho. for me no sportsman ever makes history, unless he/she influences the life beyond sports and participates in social or polytical changes on a national or international scale. the fact that somebody got most home runs or beat Detroit for me looks like zero-worth events from the historical perspective as they change absolutely nothing.

disclaimer: everything i write may be totally wrong and stupid too, because such is the nature of personal opinion - it is all relative.

DisplacedKnick
05-20-2006, 08:26 AM
at least half of the posts on these boards do not even try to make a point, so what's the problem?
besides, i think you understand my point very well ;)

i have been educated to understand history as something beyond short-lived entertainment-like events (in other words - showbiz. music, movies, commercial sports, etc.). these things live in their particullar history (sports history, music history, etc.), but to put them in one book with polytical and social events is ridiculous, imho. for me no sportsman ever makes history, unless he/she influences the life beyond sports and participates in social or polytical changes on a national or international scale. the fact that somebody got most home runs or beat Detroit for me looks like zero-worth events from the historical perspective as they change absolutely nothing.

disclaimer: everything i write may be totally wrong and stupid too, because such is the nature of personal opinion - it is all relative.

I'd hope the fact that this was posted on a forum about basketball means the poster was referring to basketball.

Otherwise we could talk about Henry V at Agincourt, Christianity over Paganism in early 4th century Rome, The Greeks over the Persians at Marathon, or even anti-trust laws vs the Railroad Barons in the 19th century US.

Pig Nash
05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
HistorOWNED!

VF21
05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I'd hope the fact that this was posted on a forum about basketball means the poster was referring to basketball.

Otherwise we could talk about Henry V at Agincourt, Christianity over Paganism in early 4th century Rome, The Greeks over the Persians at Marathon, or even anti-trust laws vs the Railroad Barons in the 19th century US.

Personally, I've been dying to come here and discuss the impact William Randolph Hearst had on what would become Gonzo journalism. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------

As far as the topic at hand goes, I think this would rank right up there with the top upsets in NBA history. At the least, we're witnessing the true emergence of LeBron James as a force to be reckoned with. I can't tell you how glad I am he's in the Eastern Conference and not in ours. We have enough problems.

PaceBalls
05-20-2006, 08:13 PM
/rant on

this is a bit off topic... but Lebrons ads and commentary has to be the most disgusting, annoying, over the top advertising campaign ever. The allusions to Lebron as the Jesus Christ of basketball is so offensive, I find myself not liking him, even though I love his game. Thank God the hypers never crossed that line with one of our players.

As if the "witness" t-shirts weren't enough, I've heard the announcers refer to the cleveland fans as the "congregation" and the "faithful". When I hear that I imagine thousands of little kids in Cleveland praying to their lord and Savior.. Lebron.

/rant off

SycamoreKen
05-20-2006, 09:57 PM
/rant on

this is a bit off topic... but Lebrons ads and commentary has to be the most disgusting, annoying, over the top advertising campaign ever. The allusions to Lebron as the Jesus Christ of basketball is so offensive, I find myself not liking him, even though I love his game. Thank God the hypers never crossed that line with one of our players.

As if the "witness" t-shirts weren't enough, I've heard the announcers refer to the cleveland fans as the "congregation" and the "faithful". When I hear that I imagine thousands of little kids in Cleveland praying to their lord and Savior.. Lebron.

/rant off

On a totally unrelated note, but do the people that call him King James know that the original was rumored to enjoy the occasional dally with a young man or two? Kind of makes it interesting that he commissioned the whole translating the bible thing.

Robertmto
05-20-2006, 10:18 PM
NOT a witness

Jay Ohh
05-20-2006, 10:41 PM
They blew their chance last night. Couldn't get one damn rebound in like 6 tries. Pistons will murder them at home.

Robertmto
05-20-2006, 10:49 PM
They blew their chance last night. Couldn't get one damn rebound in like 6 tries. Pistons will murder them at home.

Tottally agree

FreshPrince22
05-21-2006, 06:47 PM
The Pistons are just trying to perfectly replicate the 2004 championship run.

2004 Round 1: Beat Bucks 4-1
2006 Round 1: Beat Bucks 4-1

2004 Round 2: Win the first 2 in blowouts. Lose 3 and 4 on the road. Lose a heart breaker in game 5 (3OT) to go down 2-3. Squeek out a must-win game 6 on the road. Win easily at home.
2006 Round 2: Win the first 2 in blowouts. Lose 3 and 4 on the road. Lose a heart breaker in game 5 (by 2) to go down 2-3. Squeek out a must-win game 6 on the road. ???????

;)

We'll see what happens on Sunday.

2004 Game 7, round 2: Pistons win by 21
2006 Game 7, round 2: Pistons win by 18

Like clockwork.

pizza guy
05-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, so much for history!

3Ball
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Still, playing the Pistons even for 6.75 games is a pretty amazing feat, and it's going to give them a ton of confidence next year. If we don't turn things around, we are going to be, at best, 3rd in the Central for years and years to come.

pizza guy
05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
It's too late. Cleveland has showed something just by playing like they did, despite losing the series. They showed some real maturity, good chemistry, and the potential to REALLY be good. LeBron put to rest any remaining critic (you know, the 2 remaining critics), and certainly gained the full and un-divided attention of NBA fans everywhere.

Detroit has got a couple more good years with this group, and the way Joe D has been running things, he'll keep them decent (at worst) for a long time. Miami won't last long - their players are mostly veterans that have already seen their best years go by - though DWade definately is promising. And then Cleveland could very well find themselves in the Finals before you can say, "Wow, LeBron is amazing!" Then, don't forget the Nets who seemed to find a little something this year. How about the up-and-coming Magic? Playoffs next year? I'd take that bet. Indiana better do some serious moving and shaking with this team, or we'll be playing the Hoosier Lottery.