PDA

View Full Version : NBADraft.Net} Pacers perhaps looking at Quincy Douby ?

Frank Slade
05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Quincy Douby First Round Promise?
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/largepics/qdouby02.jpg

Speaking to NBA scouts this week, the latest rumor circulating is that Rutgers Junior combo guard Quincy Douby has a promise in the mid to late first round.

Earlier in the week, Douby announced that he had decided to forego his senior year at Rutgers and signed an agent.

Douby led the Big East in scoring by a wide margin at 25.4 ppg. The rumor is that Douby's camp is considering shutting down all workouts, and will likely limit his workouts from this point forward.

It's rumored to be a Mid-West team which could be Chicago at 16, Indiana at 17 or Cleveland at 25. Another possible destination is Douby's hometown New York Knicks at 20 or 29. One way or another, it appears Douby has found a home in the first round...

6.) Quincy Douby 6-3 175 PG/SG Rutgers Jr. -- One of the top overall scorers in the draft. Douby lacks a great body and is more of a combo guard, but his sophomore season of playing mostly point guard helps him. As one of the most prolific shooters in the college game, Douby is not unlike Salim Stoudamire who was one of the top rookie performers in the NBA this year.

These are just some excerpts from a larger article...

ARTICLE LINK (http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz058.asp)

blanket
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
FYI

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=404491&postcount=77

jcouts
05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I guess Bird says why trade for Ben Gordon when you can get a possible clone in the draft...

Gamble
05-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Unless the Bulls plan to trade away Gordon and get a Center in return
all the while aiming for Douby.

Shade
05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
This has the Pacers' m.o. written all over it. Has anyone seen Douby play? What is his speed like?

jcouts
05-18-2006, 02:23 PM
yeah, I knew the Pacers would want him when I saw "Douby lacks a great body and is more of a combo guard"

CableKC
05-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Profile on Quincey Douby:

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/quincydouby.asp

NBA Comparison: Steve Kerr

Strengths: Lights out 3 point shooter with excellent range ... One of the top scorers on the college level (top scorer in the Big East conference as a junior at 24 ppg) ... Has a great feel for the offensive game ... Effortless release on his shot ... Excellent free throw shooter ... His game has shown steady improvement ... Has gotten stronger body wise but still lacks bulk and body strength ... Has become adept at anticipating passes and making steals ... Very streaky shooter, when he gets hot he is deadly ... Proved in his sophomore year that he has the ability to protect the ball and be a distributor (as his 2/1 A/TO ratio shows) ... Has a good ability to create shots for himself with deft ball handling ability ...

Weaknesses: Lacks an NBA body, his frame wont allow him to put on much weight ... Not a true point guard, so he is a small 2 guard ... Will be limited to being a scoring role player in the NBA ... He'll be a defensive liability on the next level due to his size and strength ... Not a great passer, but decent ... Not an explosive athlete but has good quickness ... A bit one dimensional has a hard time contributing when he's not scoring ...

I don't like Streaky scorers.......I would much rather trade Freddie to Portland to land the 1st pick in the 2nd round for Steve Novak.

Doug
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I hate combo guards.

That generally means they aren't good enough ball handlers to play the point and too short to play the 2 (or can't shoot).

We've got enough flaws.

blanket
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
He sounds kinda similar to Luther Head - a player the Pacers seriously considered drafting last year before Granger fell into their laps.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Bird is after Quincy.

rexnom
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I hate combo guards.

That generally means they aren't good enough ball handlers to play the point and too short to play the 2 (or can't shoot).

We've got enough flaws.

Normally I would agree with you but the difference is Douby can shoot and score...

Young
05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't object to us taking Quincy. I think that he will be a good player in the league.

Great shooter, can create shots for himself. He can defend pretty good too from what I know. I believe he has good footspeed too. His big weakness, IMO, is his lack of body strength. This can be improved if he works at it and he is given enough time.

sixthman
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Quincy makes sense particularly if the Pacers are not planning on re-signing Freddie.

Robertmto
05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Quincy makes sense particularly if the Pacers are not planning on re-signing Freddie.

Or trading SJax

Jermaniac
05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/kylelowry.asp

Thats my boy right there. Him or Ronnie Brewer

Young
05-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Lowry would be sweet. I'd love to get him, Brewer, or Fernandez or Collins.

But I could settle for Quincy.

Trader Joe
05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Douby=Gilbert Arenas?

I can hope right lol......

college31guy
05-18-2006, 11:33 PM

Excellent choice!!! If he is available, you have to take him.

I also like guys like Rudy Fernandez and Mardy Collins, but I am beginning to doubt whether either will be available.

I would personally like to stay away from Quincy because he is below average defensively, plus I see him as more of a 2, and with his size and strength, I do not see him as any more than a mediocre shooting guard at this level.

Eindar
05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't see where this is going. If we were going to draft an undersized 2 with flaws, wouldn't we just re-sign Freddie? At least he's shown he can play defense, and more importantly, he can play on the NBA level. Further, if we just re-sign Freddie (who will be better than this kid for at least 2 years) we can spend our pick with an eye on adding something we don't have (quick PG, reliable SG, C who can hit a jumper). Why would we essentially waste a draft pick on Douby, when we've got his more athletic brother Fred Jones on the roster? It's not like Fred is going to get 10 mil from anybody, so it's not like it's a money issue.

SkipperZ
05-19-2006, 01:31 AM
According to one scout who's seen him recently, teams are going to drool over how well Douby strokes the ball.

"I'm not saying he's a better shooter than J.J. Redick," the scout said, "but when you see how well he shoots it, then look at all of the tools he has that Redick doesn't, it makes you wonder why a team would ever take Redick ahead of this kid. I think he's going higher than [most people] think."

indygeezer
05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
I agree, this has all the earmarkings of the Pacers. It's called misdirection. NOBODY knows what they are thinking. I'm guessing it is all still nebulous to them. THey may have some ideas but nothing firm enough to make "a promise" to anybody, unless they move up to get the #1 (yah, that'l happen),

They are not about to tip their hand to anyone.

SoupIsGood
05-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Lowry or Fernandez, heck yeah.

beast23
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
This is from HoopsHype:

QUINCY DOUBY 6-3 PG Rutgers / Junior

Top scorer in the toughest conference in America. Terrific combination of slashing and shooting ability. Tough as nails, Douby is able and willing to play lock-down defense. Not enough of a playmaker. Shot selection and ability to make teammates better are not very good.

Comparison: Jason Terry Stats 25.4 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.1 apg. Ranking: 6th SG / 4th Junior.

--------

RAJON RANDO - 6-1 PG Kentucky / Sophomore

Explosive athlete with incredibly long arms and huge hands. Fantastic pressure defender. A solid playmaker who possesses outstanding quickness and leaping ability. Outside shooting mechanics are horrendous. Still coming into his own as a player and lead guard. Can be extremely tentative at times. Didn’t really win or put up great numbers. More of an upside type. Big question marks remain. Did coach Tubby Smith hold him back?

Comparison: Brevin Knight Stats 11.2 ppg, 6.1 rpt, 4.9 apg Ranking: 3rd PG / 6th Sophomore

--------

In Douby, you have an athletic, capable scorer and defender from the get-go that apparently is undersized at SG, and is not in any way ready to play PG.

In Rando, you have an athletic, capable distributor and defender from the get-go that has poor shooting mechanics.

It sounds like Douby is in a position to better help the Pacers initially from an SG slot, but I'm kind of intrigued by Douby and what he might become once he learns to shoot. Pick your poison.

Frank Slade
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Yes, the two players I would be ecstatic if we were able steal at 17 would be.

Ronnie Brewer for sure I think he is everything you can ask for if your the Pacers. Defensive intensity , nose for the ball, good handles, can go to the glass. He reminds me of a combo of Maggette/ Artest .. skill set wise that is ;) .. He has been though slowing rising on the Draft Boards so Indiana may have to trade up.....

or Shawne Williams... HUGE upside, good size versatile like a Granger but I think he is more of a true Swingman , more of a natural shooter and ball handler..

Skaut_Ech
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Well, at least he's got 3 years of college under his belt. That counts for something.

CableKC
05-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Interesting workout review written by Jonathan Givony over at DraftExpress about O'Bryant, Lowry and Yemi Nicholson:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1302

Lowry seems more like a quick defensive minded PG with an acceptable Offensive game. Not bad....from the many mock drafts I have seen....Lowry seems to be available by the 17th pick.

waxman
05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Douby would be interesting if he turns into a Jason Terry type player... but I haven't seen him play enough to gauge that.

brichard
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I hate combo guards.

We've got enough flaws.

:amen:

CableKC
05-20-2006, 09:24 PM
It looks like the Pacers are scheduling some workout with Arron Afflalo on the Monday, May 22nd. He's some SG from UCLA.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/aaronafflalo.asp

NBA Comparison: Raja Bell

Strengths: One of college basketball's best mid-range shooters ... Uses picks effectively ... Very creative at getting his shot off ... Quick release and perfect form ... Range well out past the 3-point line ... Shoots a remarkably high percentage from the floor ... Rarely forces a bad shot, lets the offense come to him ... Terrific balance ... Outstanding stamina ... Plays his best at the end of games, when his opponent grows tired of chasing him around picks ... Clutch ... Wants to take the big shots ... Adept at absorbing contact around the hoop and finishing the play ... Good quickness ... Passes well ... Good help defender ... Great instincts for the off-guard position ... Coachable ... Good intensity ... Improved free throw shooter (up to 80% this season) ... Prefers the right side of the floor, but comfortable going left ... Very polished at this stage in his development.

Weaknesses: Not a tremendous athlete ... Below-average vertical leap...Not blessed with blazing speed ... Has improved his rebounding from his freshman to his sophomore year, but still plenty of room for improvement ... Better in the half-court than in transition ... Can get sloppy handling the ball, leading to a few too many turnovers ... High crossover ... Can get pushed around by bigger 2-guards ... Has a tendency to push off on the offensive end...Occasionally, a bit too passive...If his shot isn't falling, the rest of his game tends to suffer.

I don't know if it means anything....he's listed as 6'5"

wooolus
05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Weaknesses: Not a tremendous athlete ... Below-average vertical leap...Not blessed with blazing speed ... Has improved his rebounding from his freshman to his sophomore year, but still plenty of room for improvement ... Better in the half-court than in transition ... Can get sloppy handling the ball, leading to a few too many turnovers ... High crossover ... Can get pushed around by bigger 2-guards ... Has a tendency to push off on the offensive end...Occasionally, a bit too passive...If his shot isn't falling, the rest of his game tends to suffer.

Is that the profile of Reggie Miller?

CableKC
05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I have no clue as to who this kid is....but I'm guessing he's a 2nd round pick.

JayRedd
05-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't see where this is going. If we were going to draft an undersized 2 with flaws, wouldn't we just re-sign Freddie? At least he's shown he can play defense, and more importantly, he can play on the NBA level. Further, if we just re-sign Freddie (who will be better than this kid for at least 2 years) we can spend our pick with an eye on adding something we don't have (quick PG, reliable SG, C who can hit a jumper). Why would we essentially waste a draft pick on Douby, when we've got his more athletic brother Fred Jones on the roster? It's not like Fred is going to get 10 mil from anybody, so it's not like it's a money issue.

I hear you somewhat and would much rather see us draft a solid, hard-nosed big (HILTON ARMSTRONG) or a PG. But that said, this guy is twice the scorer that Freddie is. I'm really not sure how well his little body will fair on the defensive end, but he can flat out put the ball in the hole. I've watched this guy torch St. John's (my alma mater, and, yes, everyone torches us, but he's done so more impressively than most ;) ) for the past three years. He put up 25.4 ppg on 46% shooting (40% on 3pts). He dropped 41 up in Syracuse and went for 25+ on 17 seperate occassion while playing in far and away the best defensive conference in the country against teams like GTown, Nova, Marquette, Seton Hall, Temple, St. John's and St. Joe's.

There are likely to be better overall players (Freddie probably is too) than this kid at 17, but I seriously doubt they'll be any better scores. The only question is whether he turns out to be Jason Terry/Bobby Jackson or if he's just an Eddie House/Dana Barros. But dude can shoot and get to the rim against even NBA defenders.