PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about the Lebron rules...

jcouts
05-18-2006, 01:49 AM
...made me want to find this old SI article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/flashbacks/jordan/891106/

After reading it, I asked myself if RC and our players would ever devote the time and energy to come up with something like that and make it work, to take out their top opponet. Saddeningly, I don't see it happening, in fact, I don't see anything even close to that right now.

Funny how after reading parts of it, and noting that Doug Collins was fired after that season (replaced by none other than the Zenmaster himself), strange things happened like John Paxson's sudden emergence as a deadly 3 point shooter in the following year, and Scottie Pippen's taking over certain roles that were nearly always filled by Jordan prior...Horance Grant becoming a master weak side offensive rebounder...things that an SI writer picked up on...a guy who isn't even a coach. Obvious adjustments that were made, to defeat an opponent who wasn't moving over on the way to a championship.

I just don't see things like that happening with us right now...very obvious things with this team. Things that a great coaching staff and dedicated players who want to win a championship would do. Did anyone else feel going into the NJ series that we didn't really have a game-plan against them? Did they think that Krstic was suddenly going to become an inside banger? That Vinsanity wasn't going to shoot? That Jefferson was going to get himself into foul trouble? I thought the team looked very poorly prepared and didn't know the opponet as well as they should. The only time I saw any sign of that when when JO mentioned that he had spent a few hours watching some tape (like it was something new to him), and low and behold, he scored 37 the next game...I ask, why not all the time?

I really think that this team and many teams nowadays just kind of live in denial, by not giving other teams credit by preparing for them, especially in the playoffs. The whole "we just have to play our game" line is crap, if you ask me, because that's something that no one other than the champions have the liberty of saying, because unless you're a champion "your game" hasn't worked yet. You know Detroit isn't going away and Dumars isn't going to break up this squad anytime soon. You know Rasheed is going to make a killing from the arc against us if Foster, Harrison or Pollard are on him. You know that we can't beat Detroit with Jermaine trying to shoot fade-aways over Rasheed all night. You know Lebron isn't going anywhere and the Cavs are only going to improve under Mike Brown. You know that DWade isn't going anywhere or going to start settling for fadeaways or go Artest and lose his mind. You know Ben Gordan and Kirk Hinrich are only going to get better in the coming years. You also know that on the other side Phil Jackson will not settle for first round exits and the Mavericks are just finally coming into themselves. Dirk Nowitzki isn't going to shrink 5 inches, nor is Josh Howard going to lose 12 inches of reach anytime soon.

I have to ask, what are we doing about all that? I like Sarunas and I like Peja, but they aren't the answer to our championship questions. Who is going to step up and answer those questions on this team?

Wake up Larry.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Commitment

Moses
05-18-2006, 06:31 AM
...made me want to find this old SI article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/flashbacks/jordan/891106/

After reading it, I asked myself if RC and our players would ever devote the time and energy to come up with something like that and make it work, to take out their top opponet. Saddeningly, I don't see it happening, in fact, I don't see anything even close to that right now.

Funny how after reading parts of it, and noting that Doug Collins was fired after that season (replaced by none other than the Zenmaster himself), strange things happened like John Paxson's sudden emergence as a deadly 3 point shooter in the following year, and Scottie Pippen's taking over certain roles that were nearly always filled by Jordan prior...Horance Grant becoming a master weak side offensive rebounder...things that an SI writer picked up on...a guy who isn't even a coach. Obvious adjustments that were made, to defeat an opponent who wasn't moving over on the way to a championship.

I just don't see things like that happening with us right now...very obvious things with this team. Things that a great coaching staff and dedicated players who want to win a championship would do. Did anyone else feel going into the NJ series that we didn't really have a game-plan against them? Did they think that Krstic was suddenly going to become an inside banger? That Vinsanity wasn't going to shoot? That Jefferson was going to get himself into foul trouble? I thought the team looked very poorly prepared and didn't know the opponet as well as they should. The only time I saw any sign of that when when JO mentioned that he had spent a few hours watching some tape (like it was something new to him), and low and behold, he scored 37 the next game...I ask, why not all the time?

I really think that this team and many teams nowadays just kind of live in denial, by not giving other teams credit by preparing for them, especially in the playoffs. The whole "we just have to play our game" line is crap, if you ask me, because that's something that no one other than the champions have the liberty of saying, because unless you're a champion "your game" hasn't worked yet. You know Detroit isn't going away and Dumars isn't going to break up this squad anytime soon. You know Rasheed is going to make a killing from the arc against us if Foster, Harrison or Pollard are on him. You know that we can't beat Detroit with Jermaine trying to shoot fade-aways over Rasheed all night. You know Lebron isn't going anywhere and the Cavs are only going to improve under Mike Brown. You know that DWade isn't going anywhere or going to start settling for fadeaways or go Artest and lose his mind. You know Ben Gordan and Kirk Hinrich are only going to get better in the coming years. You also know that on the other side Phil Jackson will not settle for first round exits and the Mavericks are just finally coming into themselves. Dirk Nowitzki isn't going to shrink 5 inches, nor is Josh Howard going to lose 12 inches of reach anytime soon.

I have to ask, what are we doing about all that? I like Sarunas and I like Peja, but they aren't the answer to our championship questions. Who is going to step up and answer those questions on this team?

Wake up Larry.
Thats why we are going to throw Rick under the bus.