PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi AND the Franchise?

PacersandIU
05-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Last Updated: May 15th, 2006 - 12:48:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NBA RUMOR MILL - Is Larry Headed To Sacramento?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Steve "BskBALL" Kyler
for HOOPSWORLD.com
May 15, 2006, 11:27

NBA RUMOR MILL - HOOPSWORLD.com
The Rumor Mill is updated every week, and covers the latest NBA trade rumors, NBA news and commentary from in and around the National Basketball Association.
RUMOR HAS IT…

LARRY BROWN & THE KNICKS: Reports surfaced this weekend suggesting that the Knicks were in the process of buying out the final years on Larry Brown’s contract - word is he’s going to be replaced on the bench by Isiah Thomas, and that the Knicks seem to believe that Larry was the problem, not the players. Part of the backstory has to do with the exit interviews the Knicks conducted with each player at the end of the season. According to reports 13 of the 15 players who were interviewed by the Knicks brass said Larry Brown was the key problem. His failure to define roles and repeated desire to criticize players in the press is what led to the horrible season. Several league sources said the Knicks gauged the market value on their core assets to see if they could indeed re-shape the roster to Larry’s liking and found that there was no plausible way to retool without getting worse before they got better. It's also believed that James Dolan has urged Isiah to take over the team and may finally be holding him accountable for acquiring all the players in town now. Knicks' sources said several weeks ago that they were hearing Larry was the odd man out (along with Steve Francis) and the news of the buyout this weekend only makes the rumors that much more credible. If Larry Brown is indeed bought out of his contract he would be free to coach anywhere he chooses.

KENYON MARTIN: Informed sources near the Nuggets say that one of the first orders given in the post-Kiki Vandeweghe era was to find another team for Kenyon Martin. Nuggets sources say it's more likely than not that Kenyon is traded before the draft. The Nuggets have expanded their list of players to look at to include possible candidates projected in the latter part of the first round. One source said the Nuggets informed at least a handful of would-be draft picks that they were looking to trade into the first round and they are starting to set up workouts to evaluate those players. The Knicks are one of the few teams with the kinds of disposable contracts to nab a Kenyon Martin, while two Nets sources said this week that Jason Kidd lobbied for the Nets to get into the K-Mart sweepstakes at the trade deadline and believe the Nets will get after him this summer. Miami has been mentioned in the press as a suitor, but informed HEAT sources say that getting Kenyon Martin may cost too much in terms of talent and with the uncertainty in the coaching situation after this season all bets were off.

COACHING THE KINGS: Kings' owners Joe and Gavin Maloof told media last week that they had received more than three dozen phone calls from agents representing coaches and assistant coaches and they still had not settled in on a short list. Don Nelson is a name mentioned the most, but Dallas sources say that while Don is playing coy abut the Kings job (money talks) he likes the $1 million a year he receives from the Mavericks as a consulting fee and is enjoying his quieter life. Stan Van Gundy seems like the ideal choice but league sources say the HEAT will not grant him permission to talk with Sacramento - in fact the HEAT declined Stan’s invitation to be an analyst during the playoff broadcasts. One HEAT source said Stan asked for time to spend with his family and left the team – they intend to have Stan honor their agreement. The news this weekend that Larry Brown could hit the market could not have happened at a better time for the Kings since he seems to be the ideal candidate. The Kings say there is no timetable set on naming a new coach.

KEEPING PACE: The Indiana Pacers will be making some changes this summer. According to Pacer sources they are active in exploring a new point guard and as odd as it seems may be targeting Steve Francis from the Knicks. The Pacers are not offering a lot of core pieces in trade; the best a trading partner could hope for is Stephen Jackson and/or Jamal Tinsley. Peja Stojakovic is staying according to people close to him, assuming the dollars are in his new contract. Don’t be surprised to see Larry Bird and company take a risk (a la Steve Francis) in order to jump start the Pacers, and also don’t be surprised if Bonzi Wells jumps ship from Sacramento in favor of playing with good friend Jermaine O’Neal. At the trade deadline O’Neal lobbied publicly for Bonzi to head to Indiana. Apparently both have talked about Bonzi joining him many times and this summer may see it happen, especially with the Kings making the decision between staying with Bonzi or going with Kevin Martin.
LAKERS IN THE MARKET: The LA Lakers are starting to sniff around according to a league source. Word is the Lakers are willing to move some of their younger pieces if it yields the right veteran. The Lakers have identified point guard and small forward as areas they will target this summer, and it seem young Andrew Bynum could be moved in the right package. There has been a long running theory that the Lakers were waiting for 2007 or 2008 to get aggressive, but given the way the team came together this year it's believed the Lakers are open to jumpstarting the process - they just may not have the pieces to deal. Lamar Odom has been labeled untouchable according to Laker sources, but it seems that the team is going to be busy this offseason trying to make something happen.

THE TOP PICK: The NBA Draft lottery is just days away and the fate of the draft really hangs in the balance this year. If Portland nabs the top selection their pick would likely be LaMarcus Aldridge; if the Bulls nab the pick via the Knicks they are more likely to go Andrea Bargnani a more polished proven scorer; if the Charlotte Bobcats nab the top pick its likely going to be Adam Morrison or Tyrus Thomas. This year - unlike many previous years - does not have a clear number one or number two; a lot will get determined by the bounce of the ping pong balls and several would-be millionaires will be watching.

I love two for one deals, but giving up Jax and getting two complete knuckleheads is not what I had in mind...I know both are skilled big-time players, but I don't see how this helps get rid of the problem players on the Pacers...thoughts?

Jermaniac
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
There was a thread on this already couple of days ago

Slick Pinkham
05-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd rather have Francis than Marbury.

I'd rather have stomach flu than a brain tumor.

Will Galen
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
This has been discussed to death in other threads. Steve makes $15 million and Bonzi is a head case. Neither will happen. This is just someone fanning rumors.

Isaac
05-17-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't think Francis is as big of a problem as people make him out to be. Sure he had some problems in Orlando, but I just don't think that situation was right for him. He was fantastic in Houston, and was easily the best player on that team. Other then his headache problems, I don't think there were any complaints of him there at all, and I think his migrane problem is solved. I wouldn't mind bringing Francis in.

Doug
05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Steve Francis
$13,770,000
$15,070,000
$16,440,000
$17,180,000

Better hope we can play with only three players, because with Francis, JO, and a resigned Peja we won't be able to afford any more.

Shade
05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
IBTL!

:whistle: :lurk:

Oh, wait, I'm a moderator, ain't I? :duh: