PDA

View Full Version : What do you want the Pacers to do with Peja?

Will Galen
05-17-2006, 06:36 AM
I read all these posts about Peja and I can't believe the amount of posters that just want to leave him walk. I want these people on record. So what better way than a poll.

ssmall
05-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Sign and trade?

SoupIsGood
05-17-2006, 07:12 AM
A sign and trade is ideal, although not all that likely...

Anthem
05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
And by "not likely" we mean "no possible way."

All of the likely suitors can sign him outright.

beast23
05-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I read all these posts about Peja and I can't believe the amount of posters that just want to leave him walk. I want these people on record. So what better way than a poll.And I can't believe the number of posters that want to sign and trade one of the best shooters in basketball, who has very good all-around skills for the game, instead of keeping him and exploring ways to "make it work" with Danny.

ChicagoJ
05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Is the top choice even true/ possible? How do we get cap relief by letting him walk? We're still waaayyyyyyy over the cap.

btowncolt
05-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Is the top choice even true/ possible? How do we get cap relief by letting him walk? We're still waaayyyyyyy over the cap.

Yeah, I wanted the "Let him walk, though it doesn't mean any cap relief whatsoever" option, so I abstained.

Doug in CO
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM

The whole idea of cap relief and the Pacers is a myth

we would have to suck for at least 2-3 years to get there... and even then, so many of you say that no one would sign with the Pacers as a free agent anyway (DW position) - so what is the fracking point?

OnlyPacersLeft
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
trade his *** for a young prospect and a decent center!

Jermaniac
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Sign and trade

Jose Slaughter
05-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Sign and trade?

trade his *** for a young prospect and a decent center!

Sign and trade

With & for whom?

CableKC
05-17-2006, 12:51 PM
With & for whom?

Exactly.

I've been trying to figure out what team would need a shooting SF that can hit the 3pt shot consistently.

One of the possible suitors? The Clippers....it was obvious that they needed a legit 3pt threat yesterday night. Other then VladRad, Mobley ( both of which they did not get the ball to ) and Cassell......they need someone like Peja.

Arcadian
05-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Why isn't "offer him a reasonable contract and if he doesn't take it let him walk" an option.

I don't want to "Reggie" him.

RWB
05-17-2006, 01:09 PM
I've been trying to figure out what team would need a shooting SF that can hit the 3pt shot consistently.

The Indiana Pacers maybe? ;)

Shade
05-17-2006, 01:33 PM
For the record, I don't dislike Peja. I'm just reluctant to call him our "second star" and lock him into big $$$ while he has questionable health (especially his back) and will likely be beyond his prime by the time we can put a contender on the table again. Not to mention his "playoff mystique."

Characterwise, Peja is a perfect fit in Indy. Assuming, of course, that he was legitimately unable to play in the playoffs and not just unwilling.

I guess we might as well sign him (though anything over $10 mil/year and I'm gonna be pretty upset) and then use him as a bargaining chip if he doesn't work out.

Young
05-17-2006, 09:49 PM
For the record, I don't dislike Peja. I'm just reluctant to call him our "second star" and lock him into big $$$ while he has questionable health (especially his back) and will likely be beyond his prime by the time we can put a contender on the table again. Not to mention his "playoff mystique."

Characterwise, Peja is a perfect fit in Indy. Assuming, of course, that he was legitimately unable to play in the playoffs and not just unwilling.

I guess we might as well sign him (though anything over $10 mil/year and I'm gonna be pretty upset) and then use him as a bargaining chip if he doesn't work out.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I was so happy when we traded Ron for him and I still am happy we got him for Ron.

But with Granger at the same position, Peja's bad back as you mentioned, and the long term contract he will command, I would rather just let him walk which hurts to say because I love Peja's game.

SoupIsGood
05-17-2006, 10:06 PM
And by "not likely" we mean "no possible way."

All of the likely suitors can sign him outright.

Er, okay. :disturbed

I think I'd rather just wait and see.

Pacers#1Fan
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I really want to see how the Freddie situation plays out before I make a comment on Peja. As far as what I think would be ideal for the Pacers is to sign Peja to a respectable (from a player and fan standpoint) and shop him around. Just see what other teams are willing to offer. I wouldn't go after a trade to hard because I would be very happy with a HEALTHY Peja and a HEALTHY Jermaine working the inside out game I just hope we don't stick with the stall-ball offense.

pizza guy
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Of course, the biggest problem we face with Peja is that he plays in Danny's position. I really like Peja's game, and I like how he and JO can play together. I really don't think LB wants to even entertain trade offers for Peja, or consider letting him walk this off-season. LB is WAY to in love with Peja to let him go, like he said, "I've been after this kid for two years, I'm not going to get him for just two weeks." Honestly, I won't be disappointed either way because he's a very good player, but if he goes, we can surely get good value from him in a S&T -- I really don't want to see him just sign with some one else because it'll mean we really got nothing for Ron.

larry
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd say we start Granger. I dont know what to do w/ Peja. I do know Lebron is in our division & he'll DESTROY Peja.

GO!!!!!
05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
My bad i thought i read PeLe for a moment and wondering what was going in...

Sign and trade for Ben Gordon please

wooolus
05-18-2006, 12:22 AM
LeBron will Destroy Ben

05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd say we start Granger. I dont know what to do w/ Peja. I do know Lebron is in our division & he'll DESTROY Peja.

Who says that if you are a starting SF that you MUST guard the opposing starting SF? David Stern? Is that a rule in NBA? Never heard of something like that... let Danny handle him, which wont help at all against Lebron, but if it makes you happy, why not? Peja will do a bit worse against Lebron, but at least he will back that up with his Offensive .

diamonddave00
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
You resign Peja Stojakovic to a 5-6 year deal guessing it will cost in range of 60 mil + to do so. There will be no sign and trade after he resigns here , Bird loves his game and wants him long term. Danny Granger according to Larry will get 35 minutes a night next season playing 3 positions.

People in Indy had no trouble paying Reggie Miller 10-12 million a year when he was 34-36 years of age. Peja is still only going to be 29 in June, a 6 year deal puts him at 34 when it runs out.

When the Pacers made the finals in 1999 Chris Mullin was the backup designated 3 point shooter off the bench a role that Peja can surely fill in the worse scenerio the last year or two of his contract.

Danny Granger according to Bird, fell in love with his 3 point shooting this season , something Bird was not happy to see ,keeping Peja hopefully will lead to Danny (as Bird suggested) working more on his inside game, making Danny an even more valuable piece to this team in the future.

You can knock Peja's defense but what I saw after he joined the Pacers was about average by nba standards , he also grabbed more rebounds per game than Artest did playing sf here.

The Pacers with Jermaine or any other big guy , need people to spread the court that is Peja's strong suit , with his quick release and high arching shot as he ages like Reggie he will still be able to get his shot off.

The fact Peja sat 4 of the 6 playoff games with his knee injury has soured many on him but I have to believe if he could have played and been effective he would have. I'm willing to believe his sitting was judged the best thing to do by Peja, the coaching staff and medical staff. If the Pacers brass felt he was just sitting when he could have helped I don't think they would want him back let alone sign him long term.

Peja seemed to fit in well here , the fact he wants to return to me bodes well for his future here. I look forward to seeing him return and helping this team for the next few years.

That said it appears to me the Pacers will resign him long term and not entertain any trade option until they feel they have someone better to play his position and help the team more.

indyblue47
05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I voted to sign him and only trade him if it's in the team's best interest.

Heck, he was probably one of the only reasons I watched any of the games this year. As soon as they became available, my wife bought me the new Peja jersey.:laugh:

Jose Slaughter
05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
There are 48 minutes available at small forward.

If Granger & Peja each average about 32 minutes a game they will combine for a total of 64 minutes.

That means that for 16 minutes one of them will not be playing SF.

Can Granger backup the 4 for part of that?

Between the two of them can they backup Jackson's replacement at the 2?

Setting aside the money issue for a moment. I think this team needs to distance itself from the me first knuckleheads that we have had to put up with for a few years now.

Peja will add more to this team than a great outside shot.

ChicagoJ
05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Peja will add more to this team than a great outside shot.

I do agree with that. But I think this team is "overloaded" in the frontcourt relative to the backcourt. We've have three starting caliber forwards (Peja, Granger, JO) and no starting caliber guards (and SJax and Tinsley just won't net starting caliber guards in a trade.)

Therefore, IMO Peja is probably worth more in a S&T to the Pacers than as a player to the Pacers, because we've got Danny.

Or if Bird really wants Peja long-term, then we should include Danny in a trade to upgrade the backcourt.

But we shouldn't keep both of them.

Next season, we'll have too many SFs and a SF controversy. After watching this season's PG controversy play out, I'm not sure I've got much patience for that.

We need better definition of players and roles. And making Danny a three-postion utility player is not the answer, IMO.

Tim
05-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I read all these posts about Peja and I can't believe the amount of posters that just want to leave him walk. I want these people on record. So what better way than a poll.

I don't have anything against Peja other than he is in Danger's way.

Gamble
05-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Having Danny play behind Peja for 2 years isn't a bad thing. Our
bench will have a spark and we possibly keep Granger from getting
to expensive to sign again.

We should trade Peja in 2 years when he his no longer what we need
and let Danny come in as the starting sf.

beast23
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
I still don't think you guys get it.

Peja and Granger are two quality players. Peja is a better rounded player and is probably more consistent at this point, but Danny will get there very quickly himself.

But more importantly, both of these guys are quality people, not just basketball players. And from what I can tell, both put the team ahead of themselves. Just like Foster, just like Croshere. None of these guys have a problem sharing minutes with their teammates. They are professionals.

Regardless of what you guys would like to believe, I'd just about bet my house against your car that neither Larry nor Donny have any inclinations whatsoever towards trading Peja or Danny.

This team has chemistry problems and neither Peja nor Danny is a contributing factor to those problems. I think we are all very certain of that point. When you have a team with problems like ours, that not only needs quality players but also needs to get rid of some problem children, you don't dump two excellent players that are quality individuals an teammates.

That's just not good business.

Instead, you dump the problem children, even if you don't get back quite the level of quality in players that you were hoping. But better yet, knowing that a one-for-one trade of your problem children isn't going to net you equal talent, you combine them into a single trade to get back one decent player that is a good citizen.

And that's the way I think Larry and Donnie will look at it. Keep the good guys with talent and get rid of the knuckleheads, whether they have talent or not.

If we have 4 knuckleheads, then I wouldn't be surprised to see two 2-for-1 trades, one or more of which might involve draft choices, if necessary.

Another option is that we very well could trade a knucklehead with talent and our 1st round pick for a much better 1st round pick to a team that is under the cap.

But unless Peja is simply not willing to re-sign, or he holds the line with the dollars he is demanding, we are probably just as likely to trade Jermaine as we are Peja.

I find it hard to believe that Peja are going anywhere.

SoupIsGood
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I do agree with that. But I think this team is "overloaded" in the frontcourt relative to the backcourt. We've have three starting caliber forwards (Peja, Granger, JO) and no starting caliber guards (and SJax and Tinsley just won't net starting caliber guards in a trade.)

Therefore, IMO Peja is probably worth more in a S&T to the Pacers than as a player to the Pacers, because we've got Danny.

Or if Bird really wants Peja long-term, then we should include Danny in a trade to upgrade the backcourt.

But we shouldn't keep both of them.

Next season, we'll have too many SFs and a SF controversy. After watching this season's PG controversy play out, I'm not sure I've got much patience for that.

We need better definition of players and roles. And making Danny a three-postion utility player is not the answer, IMO.
Yessss!!! :yes: I completely agree!

ChicagoJ
05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I find it hard to believe that Peja are going anywhere.

I fear we're going back to the "stockpile assets" mode of building a team.

Maybe we should bring back Isiah to coach them. :zip:

I'm okay with getting rid of the "bums". But I don't want a team in which every single good guy/ player plays the same two positions.

And I still don't believe that we'll be able to trade Tinsley, SJax and Fred, plus anybody else as a throw-in that isn't named JO, Peja, or Granger, (IOW, Jeff, Austin, Saras, AJ, David or Scot as possible throw-ins) and still end up with five starting caliber players.

beast23
05-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I fear we're going back to the "stockpile assets" mode of building a team.

Maybe we should bring back Isiah to coach them. :zip:

I'm okay with getting rid of the "bums". But I don't want a team in which every single good guy/ player plays the same two positions.

And I still don't believe that we'll be able to trade Tinsley, SJax and Fred, plus anybody else as a throw-in that isn't named JO, Peja, or Granger, (IOW, Jeff, Austin, Saras, AJ, David or Scot as possible throw-ins) and still end up with five starting caliber players.
Isiah? Blasphemy, Jay. Pure blasphemy.

I don't think we will see ALL "good guys" with a best natural position of SF. Just 2 of them... Danny and Peja.

Despite the players that we bring in to bolster up other positions, or even start at other positions, a GOOD coach will find ways to get both Danny and Peja 32-35 minutes per game.

If that means that we sometimes go with a small lineup with JO at center and one of Peja or Danny at PF, then I think we'll do that.

If we are not able to get our hands on a really good SG, and Larry and Donnie instead manage to bring in a better PG, then I think you will actually see Danny and Peja start side-by-side with AJ as the first guard off the bench covering SG and PG.