PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Stojakovic Wants to Stay in Indiana

Will Galen
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
http://sports.excite.com/news/05162006/v5809.html

Agent: Stojakovic Wants to Stay in Indiana

May 16, 4:22 PM (ET)

By CLIFF BRUNT
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Peja Stojakovic believes he and Jermaine O'Neal could be cornerstones for the Indiana Pacers.

But first Stojakovic and his new team need to agree on a contract.

Stojakovic came to Indiana from Sacramento in a midseason trade for Ron Artest. He wants to stay, even though he'll officially become a free agent next month, his agent David Bauman said.

"There's no question Peja was happy in Indiana," Bauman said. "He would like to re-sign, and he would like to finish his career as a Pacer."

Pacers president Larry Bird has said keeping the 28-year-old Stojakovic is a priority. The 6-foot-10 forward averaged 19.5 points in 40 regular-season games after the trade.

"We wants to do what's best for the franchise," Bird said recently. "Hopefully, we can get a deal done with him."

Bauman said Stojakovic and O'Neal could become one of the best inside-outside tandems in the league.

O'Neal averaged 20.1 points and 9.3 rebounds this season, playing hurt during much of the second half. Stojakovic, an eight-year veteran, has career averages of 18.4 points and 5.1 rebounds.

"He thinks that with him and Jermaine ... they can build around them," Bauman said.

But Stojakovic also missed 11 games this season and 16 last season because of injuries, including a protruding disc in his lower back, a sprained right pinkie finger and a strained groin. He missed four of Indiana's six playoff games with a sore right knee as the Pacers lost in the first round to New Jersey.

Still, Bauman said he left a meeting with Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh feeling confident the Pacers would try to get a deal done.

"We're making a lot of phone calls, but he asked me to give the Pacers every opportunity to re-sign him. If the Pacers do what they say they're going to do, that should happen."

Stojakovic had an early termination clause in his six-year contract that allowed him to choose after the fifth year whether to finish the contract or become a free agent. His current contract would pay him $8.125 million next season.

Shade
05-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I wish I could say I'm excited about this, but I honestly feel this is going to end up being a huge mistake.

SoupIsGood
05-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't do this to me Peja.

Just go.

ChicagoJ
05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Of course he does. We can offer him the most money, highest annual raises, and longest contract.

Its hard to believe this isn't "all about the Benjamins."

beast23
05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Who would you guys rather have as your primary perimeter shooter?

Jackson... or Peja?

It's not contest in my book.

Kaufman
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I'd want Jax. He plays in the playoffs.

SoupIsGood
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Jackson... or Peja?

None of the above.

Arcadian
05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Of course he does. We can offer him the most money, highest annual raises, and longest contract.

Its hard to believe this isn't "all about the Benjamins."

Maybe he opted out to sign for less so the Pacers can can have more flexablity.

Jackson... or Peja?

Neither really.

My love for Peja took a hit when he did play in the playoffs. Either he has bad knees or no heart. Neither of those things make me want to commit long term.

Lord Helmet
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd just like to say that before we start calling Peja a ***** and such. (I admit, I was pretty mad with him and I can recall calling him a wuss/wimp/pansy.) But, maybe, just maybe the injury was legit. I remember during game three which I attended, and I saw his knee, and it looked pretty swollen to me. (I sat behind the Pacers bench.)

Could he have played other games? Who knows, but probably. I am happy he can stay because if not, it's Artest for _________ .

Do I believe Danny is the future? Yes, and I want him to see a lot more playing time next year, but you can't just rent-a-Peja and just give Artest away, only to have the traded player's services for half a year.

To be honest, I really don't know what to do, but I believe re-signing Peja is a good thing. I can only hope it is.......

Lord Helmet
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
None of the above.
So, who would it be then?

SoupIsGood
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
So, who would it be then?

Somebody else!

Jax can't even shoot and Peja won't when it matters.

Doug in CO
05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
"We <B>wants</B> to do what's best for the franchise," Bird said recently.
:-o

Frank Slade
05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Ok first of all I certainly understand those who are still upset about the Playoff absence.

However I have to give him the benefit of the doubt here, and take in to account his pre-injury contribution. I don't know his rap with Sactown as far as playing hurt , so perhaps someone can enlighten me...

How quickly some of us forget sometimes how many nay sayers were impressed with his rebounding and over all contribution.

I remember seeing on a Pacers. Com poll before the playoffs.. he was the Consenus MVP of the team..

I do not think it as simple as to say we should certainly not re-sign him.

The million dollar question literally is how big is the contract ? 5 years and somewhere around 50 Million perhaps if the negotiation begins to climb to high near max dollars , then you walk away sure, but you can't underesitmate a person of his talent and shot's worth to this team.

Now certainly if it comes out that his Knee is still a problem then you probably don't sign him.

I have a feeling if we do sign him , there will be people upset that we paid to much for a "soft" player.

And a number of people upset that we let him go if we don't sign him... and get nothing but capspace in return

Doug in CO
05-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I think what the let Peja walk contingent doesn't get is that we are over the cap - are going to be over the cap for the foreseeable future, so we can't just let an asset walk for nothing. And a sign and trade - that is not happening. It does not have to be one or the other (Peja or Granger)... they can both thrive.

Lord Helmet
05-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Somebody else!

Jax can't even shoot and Peja won't when it matters.
Well we probably won't get anything decent for a Jackson trade, and I really don't know what we could do with a Peja trade.

But, I'll give Peja a pass this year, he was hurt, I'll judge how he will be when he's playing more than two games.

Shade
05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I think what the let Peja walk contingent doesn't get is that we are over the cap - are going to be over the cap for the foreseeable future, so we can't just let an asset walk for nothing. And a sign and trade - that is not happening. It does not have to be one or the other (Peja or Granger)... they can both thrive.

I hope you're right, because if we lock into a guy with a bad knee and bad back who chokes in the playoffs repeatedly while stunting the growth of a superstar in the making for 6 years, you're the first person I'm coming after. ;)

Lord Helmet
05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Ok first of all I certainly understand those who are still upset about the Playoff absence.

However I have to give him the benefit of the doubt here, and take in to account his pre-injury contribution. I don't know his rap with Sactown as far as playing hurt , so perhaps someone can enlighten me...

How quickly some of us forget sometimes how many nay sayers were impressed with his rebounding and over all contribution.

I remember seeing on a Pacers. Com poll before the playoffs.. he was the Consenus MVP of the team..

I do not think it as simple as to say we should certainly not re-sign him.

The million dollar question literally is how big is the contract ? 5 years and somewhere around 50 Million perhaps if the negotiation begins to climb to high near max dollars , then you walk away sure, but you can't underesitmate a person of his talent and shot's worth to this team.

Now certainly if it comes out that his Knee is still a problem then you probably don't sign him.
I have a feeling if we do sign him , there will be people upset that we paid to much for a "soft" player.
And a number of people upset that we let him go if we don't sign him...
Yeah, I'm giving Peja a pass, because, we aren't in his body, and we don't actually know how he felt.

As I said, the knee did look pretty swollen.

Anthem
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe he opted out to sign for less so the Pacers can can have more flexablity.
I need a smiley that conveys hysterical but sarcastic laughter. I'm terrified, to be honest. Conrad Brunner says the Pacers think Peja "may not" be a max-level player? The Pacers MAY stop JUST SHORT of the max to sign him?

Then we hear from Peja's agent: "We're making a lot of phone calls, but he asked me to give the Pacers every opportunity to re-sign him. If the Pacers do what they say they're going to do, that should happen." Does that sounds like a man looking for anything but a huge payout?

We're gonna get screwed. He's gonna get a contract way out of line with what he's worth. I can see it coming a mile away.

sweabs
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm not an advocate of re-signing him...I want that 3-spot locked up to Danny for years to come.

However, I have a feeling that Bird won't let Peja go. Does anyone else get the feeling that Larry gets what he wants?

Look...if we're going to resign him, then he HAS to be part of the long-term vision of this team. We can't just enter next season with the same problem we had during this year...a bunch of assets at various positions with no chemistry or identity. If we're going to give him this big contract, then at least make sure that he fits into the vision for this team...because in a year or two, I don't want him soaking up all that money to come off the bench for 15 minutes and hit a couple of threes behind Danny. It's just not worth it.

Please, sign and trade.

EDIT: I'm with Anthem here. I just have this feeling we're going to get screwed.

CableKC
05-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm looking at this as a ploy by his agent to talk up Peja's market value. I don't care what Bird says....until I see him resigned as a Pacer...then I will believe it.

If some other GM really wants Peja...and offers him a decent...slightly above average offer...I really think that the Pacers will blink.

Suaveness
05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I want Granger starting.

Shade
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
The only way I see this working out long-term is if Peja is able to play the 2 or Danny the 4 consistently and effectively.

Doug in CO
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Maybe Peja can play the 2 on offense, 3 on defense and Granger can play vice versa

purdue101
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
i don't understand why half this board wants to let peja walk. what a huge mistake that would be on bird's part.

at the very least, we should sign him to a deal, and then in a year or two when danny is ready to start, trade peja and get something valuable back in return. it sure as hell beats letting him walk for nothing. i will be pissed if we traded ron for a 40 game rental when we could have had maggette, among other players.

you gotta hold onto your valuable assets while you can. you can make adjustments due to player positions via trades down the road.........you shouldn't just let a great player walk b/c you have another star waiting to fill his shoes. build the players value up and then trade his a$$ for another need on the roster.

Hicks
05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Sign him now, trade him next summer.

Anthem
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Or sooner.

I don't understand the idea that you get better deals in the summer. It's got to even out somewhere, right? When you get screwed over by a deal at the all star break, that means somebody made a killing. Why can't we try to be the team that makes a killing?

Regardless, this means we've got to sign Peja to a deal that's reasonable, or we can't trade him.

purdue101
05-16-2006, 06:02 PM

exactly. sign him. let him average 20 for a year or two and then pawn him off for some nice assets.

if anyone should know this, it should be us pacers fans. look at jalen rose. everyone raised their eyebrows when we gave him that monster deal instead of letting him walk. we kept him for a year and then dumped him for artest and brad miller, which was one of the most lopsided trades i've ever seen. if we never held onto him, we would have never had that opportunity.

purdue101
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Or sooner.

I don't understand the idea that you get better deals in the summer. It's got to even out somewhere, right? When you get screwed over by a deal at the all star break, that means somebody made a killing. Why can't we try to be the team that makes a killing?

Regardless, this means we've got to sign Peja to a deal that's reasonable, or we can't trade him.

he'll sign with us b/c we can offer that extra year.

Unclebuck
05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
I hope the contract is a short one. Pay him more money per year but for fewer years

Jermaniac
05-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Sign him now, trade him next summer.Aint no body going to take his contract after just one year.
--------------
"He thinks that with him and Jermaine ... they can build around them," Bauman said.

Well his points went up with me, he likes Jermaine and thats a plus with anybody.

Jay Ohh
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
That's great Peja. Maybe you could have showed how much you wanted to stay here by not pussing out in the playoffs you douchebag.

SoupIsGood
05-16-2006, 06:31 PM
The mistake was made in trading for a player who didn't fit the roster.

Granger was our future 3... still is our future 3... and will be our future 3. Trading Ron for another 3 was stupid. Re-signing Peja and dragging this mistake out even longer is much stupider. Cut your losses, move on.

If Peja is re-signed, Granger should be traded. And I don't want Granger traded.

jcouts
05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd want Jax. He plays in the playoffs.

some might debate that we would have been better off if he didn't...

Frank Slade
05-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Exactly you have to take in account in our current situation over the Cap, signing someone of Peja's caliber would be difficult. Barring an unforseen no-brainer trade.
Our Free Agent options are limited.

You have to work with what you got . Like UB said I think you look to sign him to shorter term, higher salary deal so you are not locked in.

Sure Granger is your future and it sounds like Bird is working with him to have him play some 2 so I really think Peja and Granger can Co-exist. It's not an all or nothing scenario. As long as you don't vastly over pay , you can always move him after a year or so if it does not fit, and then you don't end up with nothing. Which by the way even if Peja walks we are still over the Cap so from what I understand that is not necessarily free money to sign a player.

Kaufman
05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
To what it is worth to anyone, when a player sits out of a game for an injury, it can be for many reasons.
1) There's no injury. A player is being disciplined.
2) There is an injury. The team's physician and trainer deem a player ineligible for contest. Should the player want to play "against orders", its at his own risk. Meaning the team is not further liable for any injury that occurs thereafter. See: Terrell Owens.
3) There is an injury as perceived by the player, and the player feels that he can not play. Lots of grey zone here --- a physician feels that the player can play and does not risk further damage by playing. But the player overrides that rationale, essentially choosing not to play on his own.

3) would be what happened with Peja. It wasn't a consensus kind of decision.

Just some FYI. This was all Peja, all the way.

LjuboDaMan
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I hope you're right, because if we lock into a guy with a bad knee and bad back who chokes in the playoffs repeatedly while stunting the growth of a superstar in the making for 6 years, you're the first person I'm coming after. ;)

o come on now ... he will be a superstar in the making for 10 more yrs if he plays with players such as those in the past (webber, bibby, s jackson)

he was kind of superstar (when cwebb was out and Vlade was the playmaker) only then ,,, because the team actually wanted him to be the man (25 per game was pretty good)

i dont think the team, the organization whatever ... wanted him to be the man this yr

i dont kno about his injuries ...

but if he was really hurt you gotta give a guy second chance

pacers11789
05-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Everybody around here wants to have a good season next year right?..well most of us anyway. We will need peja if were going to do anything next season. so lay off of peja already.

pacers11789
05-16-2006, 09:08 PM
And by anything i mean a playoff run.

aceace
05-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Pejas 28 so he wants 6 yrs i'm sure of that. I could see Danny,
JO, and Peja on the floor alot against the smaller teams like Phx.

05-16-2006, 10:14 PM
This is great, one of the best outside players in the league teamming up with one of the best inside players in the league. You guys should be happy as hell!? And you dont like him because... he was injured and couldnt play last 2 games in the Playoffs?? So that makes him a "douchebag"? Some people are unbelievable.

Some people here i read also dont want Peja because they want Danny to start because... "He is our future!!". Cmon? Be more realistic, EVERY rookie is "the future", sure Danny is a great kid, great Rebounding / Defense / Mediocre scoring ability and great work ethics, he will probably get a bit better, but thats just about all you will get, i think he is & will remain a great backup and at best become the best 6th man in the league... until he gets traded to a place where he can start and be another James Jones.

Or the best alternative which i think will happen and i want to happen, for Danny to become a starting SG and be very succesfull, because Peja will be the Pacers ONLY Pure Shooter. Dont you see how powerfull the Pacers will be like that?? Not wanting Peja in your team means that you want Danny to be the starter and break the famous Pacer trend (inside/outside game), so that the Pacers will only play Inside 24 / 7.
If Larry Bird & the Entire Pacer organisation have tested this and cant see this "only inside" Pacer team being succesfull, why cant you? Or why cant you at least trust them?

The Pacers & the staff are PROs remember? Trust them, they know what they are doing better then any of us.....

Jermaniac
05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
That whole post is so full of ****. Fix your face doggy.

PejaIsTheMan
05-16-2006, 10:22 PM
This is great, one of the best outside players in the league teamming up with one of the best inside players in the league. You guys should be happy as hell!? And you dont like him because... he was injured and couldnt play last 2 games in the Playoffs?? So that makes him a "douchebag"? Some people are unbelievable.

Some people here i read also dont want Peja because they want Danny to start because... "He is our future!!". Cmon? Be more realistic, EVERY rookie is "the future", sure Danny is a great kid, great Rebounding / Defense / Mediocre scoring ability and great work ethics, he will probably get a bit better, but thats just about all you will get, i think he is & will remain a great backup and at best become the best 6th man in the league... until he gets traded to a place where he can start and be another James Jones.

Or the best alternative which i think will happen and i want to happen, for Danny to become a starting SG and be very succesfull, because Peja will be the Pacers ONLY Pure Shooter. Dont you see how powerfull the Pacers will be like that?? Not wanting Peja in your team means that you want Danny to be the starter and break the famous Pacer trend (inside/outside game), so that the Pacers will only play Inside 24 / 7.
If Larry Bird & the Entire Pacer organisation have tested this and cant see this "only inside" Pacer team being succesfull, why cant you? Or why cant you at least trust them?

The Pacers & the staff are PROs remember? Trust them, they know what they are doing better then any of us.....

Totally agree!

PejaIsTheMan
05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
That whole post is so full of ****. Fix your face doggy.

:confused: Who are you talking to?

Jermaniac
05-16-2006, 10:26 PM
:confused: Who are you talking to?Your mans'n'them

PejaIsTheMan
05-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Your mans'n'them

Hmm! it must be my bad english because i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. What do u mean? :confused:

Jermaniac
05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Thats a Chinese riddle for you.

Arcadian
05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
First off, I don't believe Peja is an impact player. That is not why I don't break the bank to keep him, though.

I'm concerned about his injury's a bad back is a bad back. He couldn't go this year either. He's getting older and isn't going to get more durable. Again this is a concern but a minor concern.

Danny being here has little to do with my feelings on a big Peja payday. I'd hate to see his development or our ability to sign Danny hindered by Peja. But again this is a secondary point.

The bottomline is that I doubt Peja's heart. This goes back to his days with the Kings in the way he quit playing when Divac left, pouted about Webber. I remember something to the effect about his refusal to watch tapes and study the game on his time--his view was his time was his time. While his lack of preformance in this playoffs confirmed my feelings, they didn't start there.

Seeing the Pacers commit big money to a player who I don't think is committed to the game would disappoint me. I know others will say our current roster is heartless already but is the answer really committing 10 to 12+ million dollars a year on another one?

I like somethings about Peja just not enough to pay him like Robin.

Anxiety
05-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know whether or not I'd like to see Peja re-signed but I do know one thing for sure...whatever comes out of Kings fans egarding Peja take it with a grain of salt.

I remember them saying he was a poor rebounder and bad defender but au contraire.

Anxiety
05-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Thats a Chinese riddle for you.

And how about you go off and work on this one for the time being...

2+2 = ?

Hicks
05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Hmm! it must be my bad english because i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. What do u mean? :confused:

Your english is fine. Some Americans have their own... "fun" with the English language that confuses us all.

05-16-2006, 11:13 PM
First off, I don't believe Peja is an impact player. That is not why I don't break the bank to keep him, though.

I'm concerned about his injury's a bad back is a bad back. He couldn't go this year either. He's getting older and isn't going to get more durable. Again this is a concern but a minor concern.

Danny being here has little to do with my feelings on a big Peja payday. I'd hate to see his development or our ability to sign Danny hindered by Peja. But again this is a secondary point.

The bottomline is that I doubt Peja's heart. This goes back to his days with the Kings in the way he quit playing when Divac left, pouted about Webber. I remember something to the effect about his refusal to watch tapes and study the game on his time--his view was his time was his time. While his lack of preformance in this playoffs confirmed my feelings, they didn't start there.

Seeing the Pacers commit big money to a player who I don't think is committed to the game would disappoint me. I know others will say our current roster is heartless already but is the answer really committing 10 to 12+ million dollars a year on another one?

I like somethings about Peja just not enough to pay him like Robin.

See? I knew something more was behind this. :) Well, i agree with you. But absolutely not with the "Peja has no heart" thingy. I know that Peja had done some bad things before, but i also think that he is extremly unlucky and that this started a chain of reaction, people today now start to think that everytime he for example REALLY gets injured and cant play, that he just fakes it or something just to avoid to play a Playoff game? Do you actually think that a player like Peja really can quit on a team like that? Before you answer YES, think first WHY, why would somebody do like that? Because he is scared? Which just sounds stupid in my ears, i just cant figure out why a Player would do like that? Thats like every players dream to be in the playoffs! Thats why you play season games so good and work so hard! (And this is coming from a basketball player) I mean, Peja is goes pretty much insane in the Season games, why cant he do the same in the Playoffs? Because he is afraid? Because he is not clutch? Please........... propaganda.

Arcadian
05-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I've never met Peja so I can't say. I know if I were about to get a career contract from a franchise I played for I would have done everything I could to win. The fact that he didn't disappoints me.

Maybe Peja's just content with being a near-star and getting paid for it. I don't know. People talk about the great ones having a desire to win. I can't tell you how we know they have it but when I watch Peja I don't see that. Stats and shooting don't make you an impact player.

JBones19
05-16-2006, 11:50 PM
I am pissed! we should let AJ walk- He isn't worth anything to our team and he will just hold Tinsley and Runi back!! I can't believe we're thinking or re-signing AJ!! 3 YRS!?!? FOR WHAT???

I know it's not quite the same scenario and we're talking about a lot more money, but still, I hafta believe that TPTB know how to work this stuff.

wooolus
05-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Who's Tinsley?

beast23
05-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I am pissed! we should let AJ walk- He isn't worth anything to our team and he will just hold Tinsley and Runi back!! I can't believe we're thinking or re-signing AJ!! 3 YRS!?!? FOR WHAT???

I know it's not quite the same scenario and we're talking about a lot more money, but still, I hafta believe that TPTB know how to work this stuff.What? We have AJ under contract for 2 more seasons. Are you meaning Freddie rather than AJ.

And, by the way. The only thing that holds Tinsley back is Tinsley himself. Or rather his health and his mind.

As for Runi. What has probably held him back is that he was not prepared to play the longer season, hit the wall and basically sucked for the last 1/3 or more of the season.

I suppose if I were coach, I'd probably elect to play AJ who was having a career year over a walking bandaid and a player that played himself out of the rotation.

JBones19
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
What? We have AJ under contract for 2 more seasons. Are you meaning Freddie rather than AJ.

And, by the way. The only thing that holds Tinsley back is Tinsley himself. Or rather his health and his mind.

As for Runi. What has probably held him back is that he was not prepared to play the longer season, hit the wall and basically sucked for the last 1/3 or more of the season.

I suppose if I were coach, I'd probably elect to play AJ who was having a career year over a walking bandaid and a player that played himself out of the rotation.

Actually I was just bringing attention to the fact this sounds a lot like the begining of last season when we signed AJ to a 3 year deal and no one liked it. It turned out ok for us I think.

As for Fred Jones, let him walk, he's the Derek Zoolander of the NBA, he can't go left.

Jermaniac
05-17-2006, 12:11 AM
And how about you go off and work on this one for the time being...

2+2 = ?

And if at first you don"t succeed
Then dust yourself off and try again
You can dust it off and try again, try again
Cause if at first you don"t succeed
You can dust it off and try again
Dust yourself off and try again, try again (and again)

Better luck next time Stanley

Eindar
05-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Here are some things I know to be true:

JO isn't currently clutch
Peja has a history of not being clutch
Paying a combined 20+ million dollars for non-clutch players is a good way to never win a title
Danny Granger has shown signs of being clutch

--

I don't mind re-signing Peja, but it has to be for an amount that will be attractive to other teams in the future. Danny will be very good within 2 years, and you don't want to slow down that progress. Ideally, I'd like to see us sign Peja to a reasonable deal, then trade him at the trading deadline next season for picks and expring deals. Or, barring that, Fire Carlisle, bring in a D'Antoni disciple, trade JO for Marion and Barbosa, trade AJ and Harrison for a running big man or a running PG, and let's try to run other teams out of the building.

Los Angeles
05-17-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm ready to let him walk. :whoknows:

Jose Slaughter
05-17-2006, 02:24 AM
"We're making a lot of phone calls, but he asked me to give the Pacers every opportunity to re-sign him. If the Pacers do what they say they're going to do, that should happen."

I'm really surprised nobody has commented on this quote yet.

It sounds to me that Bauman (Stojakovic's agent) might have been told that the Pacers are planning on moving some players in a salary dump.

Isaac
05-17-2006, 02:40 AM
That quote to me sounds like it has more to do with what the Pacers are willing to offer salary wise.

larry
05-17-2006, 03:07 AM
Did he win that poll? I voted for AJ.
Artest turned the Kings into a contender. I think we had a loosing record w/ Peja. Who the hell knows what to do?

RWB
05-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Danny will be very good within 2 years, and you don't want to slow down that progress.

I know I'm a little slow, but as Eindar points out and many seem to agree I want to know how is Peja being on the team going to slow down Danny's progress?

Look, I know they both play the three but I don't remember any statement by the Ps that claim Peja is going to play all 48 minutes in that position. If we go by this rationale then we better never draft or trade for anyone because they have the possibility of competing for the starting job.

Now if people feel this way because of Calisle's past history of not playing younger guys or how Al kind of forced his way out with the I'm a starter mentality then I do see where you're coming from. I just disagree and believe really good players can co-exist on a team.

Jose Slaughter
05-17-2006, 08:26 AM
I'll take it one step further RWB

I think having Peja out there with Granger can only make Danny a better player.

The D will not be able to leave either O'Neal or Peja & more than likely the other teams better defenders will be playing those two. That leaves Granger with a lesser defender, one on one.

This also works to O'Neals advantage.

Having more Granger & Peja on the wings will free up a lot of room for JO to work.

ChicagoJ
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
But you've got to play one of those guys at SG, and they are both natural "3's."

I think Peja can play SG in the Reggie role for a couple of years, but I wouldn't sign him to a long-term contract to do that.

I'd be okay with giving him a near-max $$, two year contract. His agent probably wouldn't take it - they're looking for long-term security.

Jay Ohh
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
If you want to see some heart take a look at Shawn Marion. This guy's been beaten down, cut open, and messed up his ankle. Oh, and he's had to defend Elton Brand and Sam Cassel, as well as scoring and rebounding to give his team a chance. He ****ed up his ankle last night, a few minutes later he's back in and doing what he's gotta do. That's some heart right there.

Do you see any of that in Peja? No. He's soft. His team needed him bad, but his knee is "sore" so he can't play. I don't want to hear any of that **** in the playoffs. He didn't want to lower his value with a bad playoff outing so he quit on his team. He put himself before the team, and I don't want anybody like that on the Indiana Pacers.

vapacersfan
05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Here are some things I know to be true:

JO isn't currently clutch
Peja has a history of not being clutch
Paying a combined 20+ million dollars for non-clutch players is a good way to never win a title
Danny Granger has shown signs of being clutch

--

I don't mind re-signing Peja, but it has to be for an amount that will be attractive to other teams in the future. Danny will be very good within 2 years, and you don't want to slow down that progress. Ideally, I'd like to see us sign Peja to a reasonable deal, then trade him at the trading deadline next season for picks and expring deals. Or, barring that, Fire Carlisle, bring in a D'Antoni disciple, trade JO for Marion and Barbosa, trade AJ and Harrison for a running big man or a running PG, and let's try to run other teams out of the building.

I love Granger as much as I love my girlfriends, but there is no way you can call him clutch, not yet.

Anxiety
05-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I love Granger as much as I love my girlfriends

:-o

LjuboDaMan
05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
He didn't want to lower his value with a bad playoff outing so he quit on his team.

did you ever think that (if he was "realllyyyyy injured") he didnt wanna play because he would suck on the floor and it would hurt this pacers team...

quit already ... let him sign ... and then after a full season and a playoff run ... judge him then ...

not like this ... he had a solid season with the pacers ... why so much hate all of sudden ??? he played only 2 games these playoffs ...

better worry about more selfish players on this team then about this guy, he never played good with any selfish player in the past ... he can play and be the man if the team is up for that ... and when players are team players ... only then ... thats the key for peja stojakovic ... he is not Kobe ... neither is anyone on this pacers team ... so the best for team would be to play one for another ... team ball baby

BoomBaby31
05-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Peja could of really been hurt, and it's better to sit out this years playoffs then blowing his whole career by really damaging his knee. I don't think it will be a mistake to sign this guy, after he gets a long term contract he is going to have that Pacer for life mentality and play harder, and better. Plus if we don't sign him, we're really going to be bad next year. We have to remember he only played with us half of the season, and he was hurt alot of the time. His injuries should be out of the way and the chemistry is going to be good coming into next season. Peja is going to well here. Just don't pay him TOO much.

Slick Pinkham
05-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm more worried about the length of Peja's contract than the dollar amount. Not more than 3 years, please, because Danny will be a monster by then.

I'm not as worried as some about having Danny move around or be 6th man. If his ego allows it, that can work out great-- see Antawn Jamison, Stackhouse, Abdur-Rahim.

bulldog
05-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Has anyone else been watching the Mavs-Spurs series as positions become meaningless and match-ups take over? For goodness sake, Bowen is playing the "four" for San Antonio.

Enough of this "can Peja play the 2, can Granger play the 2 crap." I get what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day it's pretty meaningless.

Now, if someone wants to start a thread and go through the top 10 or so teams in the NBA, and see if Granger can gaurd their primary perimeter scorer and if Peja matches up with the secondary perimeter scorer, that would be worthwhile, so we can end this "2" vs. "3" stuff. Anyone have some time on their hands?

Jay Ohh
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
did you ever think that (if he was "realllyyyyy injured") he didnt wanna play because he would suck on the floor and it would hurt this pacers team...

quit already ... let him sign ... and then after a full season and a playoff run ... judge him then ...

not like this ... he had a solid season with the pacers ... why so much hate all of sudden ??? he played only 2 games these playoffs ...

better worry about more selfish players on this team then about this guy, he never played good with any selfish player in the past ... he can play and be the man if the team is up for that ... and when players are team players ... only then ... thats the key for peja stojakovic ... he is not Kobe ... neither is anyone on this pacers team ... so the best for team would be to play one for another ... team ball baby

Funny how these mysterious injuries always come up in the playoffs. He was fine during the whole season, but as soon as the playoffs start, he starts airing wide open shots. I was hearing the same stuff from the Sacramento fans, but I didn't judge him. I wanted to see for myself. Now that I have seen it, add all the variables together and he's done too much for me to give the benefit of the doubt.

LjuboDaMan
05-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Funny how these mysterious injuries always come up in the playoffs. He was fine during the whole season, but as soon as the playoffs start, he starts airing wide open shots. I was hearing the same stuff from the Sacramento fans, but I didn't judge him. I wanted to see for myself. Now that I have seen it, add all the variables together and he's done too much for me to give the benefit of the doubt.

u make it sound like he averages 0 points in playoffs ...

fg % : .419
3 % : .350
ft % : .900

rebounds: 6.0

how does he score points if he air balls all of them ...

the air ball against lakers late in the game (when he played only few mins injured) is the moment Sacramento fans wont forget ... that one air ball equals at least 100 air balls in their mind ...

im not sure why you think its better to play injured (its not good for a player, its not good for a team)

05-19-2006, 09:51 AM
u make it sound like he averages 0 points in playoffs ...

fg % : .419
3 % : .350
ft % : .900

rebounds: 6.0

how does he score points if he air balls all of them ...

the air ball against lakers late in the (when he played only few mins injured) is the moment Sacramento fans wont forget ... that one air ball equals at least 100 air balls in their mind ...

im not sure why you think its better to play injured (its not good for a player, its not good for a team)

Dont worry Ljubo, some people here Love to hate a player when he gets injured & etc.... except only ONE man, their beloving cornrowing hiphoping creepwalkdancin player, JO.

RWB
05-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Dont worry Ljubo, some people here Love to hate a player when he gets injured & etc.... except only ONE man, their beloving cornrowing hiphoping creepwalkdancin player, JO.

You're better than that 31. :(