PDA

View Full Version : QOD :Will The Pacers Look To Move Up In NBA Draft?

Frank Slade
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Will The Pacers Look To Move Up In NBA Draft?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. What are the Pacers plans for the draft? Would they trade up? I see a potential star in the 20-year old Italian Andrea Bargnani. He shoots and passes like a guard, and blocks shots very well. He is a projected top-five pick, so would the Pacers be willing to move a little bit? If not Bargnani, what prospects have the Pacers been scouting? (From Josh in Jericho, N.Y.)

A. Nothing appreciates in value like a high lottery pick in the weeks before the NBA Draft, which is to say this: if you decide you really want to trade way up, you're going to have to be willing to pay a premium price. You won't be able to make a substantial move by trading a problem player or spare part. In order to get a pick high enough to select a player like Bargnani, which by all accounts would mean getting into the top five, a team would have to give up some combination of core players and quality draft picks. It's a move you only make if you're completely sure about the player you're acquiring because it's a seller's market for those holding the lottery picks.

This is not to say the Pacers won't be interested in making a move in the draft; in fact, it's one of the first windows into the open market. The draft has become at least as prominent as the February trading deadline for personnel moves. Usually around one-third of the first-round picks wind up in the hands of someone other than the team with the original rights, so it can be a very active night.

President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird indicated last week he had his eye on one particular player, but naturally wouldn't reveal the identity. If indeed there is one prospect the Pacers believe rises above the pack, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see a move made to ensure is selection.

Who might that player be? Beats the heck out of me. The scouting department keeps its plans closely guarded. But that's one of the many reasons the next six weeks leading up to the June 27 NBA Draft will be so interesting, even for a team with the No. 17 pick like the Pacers.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Will Galen
05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
They tried last year and didn't get it done. This year I think they will.

indygeezer
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
What could a package of Tinsley plus our pick at 17 bring? (the No. 19 pick? drumroll/rimshot)

OK, now seriously?

blanket
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
What could a package of Tinsley plus our pick at 17 bring? (the No. 19 pick? drumroll/rimshot)

OK, now seriously?

That seems like a reasonable package for moving into the lottery, maybe up 5-10 spots.

Which lottery teams need a PG? Maybe Seattle would be interested.

Didn't Toronto say they wanted to trade out of the lottery this year?

sweabs
05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Didn't Toronto say they wanted to trade out of the lottery this year?

Yes, Colangelo hinted towards trading the pick and getting some help now to get this team up and going. I think they'd be wanting a guy like Foster or Harrison in a deal for their pick, though. In particular, Foster.

Hicks
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
If we traded for Toronto's pick, maybe we could pick up Randy Foye:

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/randyfoye.asp

SoupIsGood
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm thinking he has his eye on Fernandez... or at least I'm hoping so...

sweabs
05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Toronto's philosophy entering this draft is that they need help now, as opposed to a continuing youth movement. In their eyes, they already have the youth that they want, and now it's time to start building around them and getting the right pieces to compliment one another.

Bosh said in his season-ending interview (the one where he announced he would resign as a Raptor) that he'd either like Mike James to be resigned, or for the Raptors to go out and get a big man for him to play alongside of (to eliminate some of the pounding he has taken in the paint).

From the interviews and quotes I've read coming from Colangelo, it doesn't seem as though resigning Mike James is too major of a priority - yet the big man remains an important piece of the puzzle. I'm assuming that they make a big push towards acquiring Jamaal Magloire, a hometown Toronto kid...HOWEVER, I'm not so sure if he fits the mold for the kind of centre Colangelo envisions this team having. Remember, he wants to have another fast and up-tempo team similar to what he created in Phoenix.

Therefore, I think Foster might be a nice fit for that role because of his agility and quickness...assuming they want to use Foster as a centre. I know every time we play the Raptors, the commentators are all over Jeff and would absolutely love him on the team...although that really doesn't mean much.

CableKC
05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
The only way that I can see them move up is if they trade the pick along with players that other teams would actually want....like moving a player like Foster or Harrison.

Everyone knows that the trade value of SJax and Tinsley isn't high enough to jump 10-12 spots....maybe up 2 or 3 spots...but not into the top 10.

My suggestion...offer up SJax and the 17th pick to the Magic to move up to the 11th spot. I think that one of the PGs or even PF/C would be available at that spot.

rexnom
05-16-2006, 04:20 PM

If only...

Frank Slade
05-16-2006, 04:20 PM

No doubt,. really at that spot there is a handful of players that would be great.

Foye could really be a solid pick and our PG of the future.
And Brandon Roy (a Josh Howard type I guess)
If somehow Gay was too fall that far and I know that he is more of a 3 but that is a rare talent to pass up..
Cedic Simmons a true PF/ C
and Ronnie Brewer. another verstatile Guard ....
:cloud9: oh the possibilities

CableKC
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
No doubt,. really at that spot there is a handful of players that would be great.

Foye could really be a solid pick and our PG of the future.
And Brandon Roy (a Josh Howard type I guess)
If somehow Gay was too fall that far and I know that he is more of a 3 but that is a rare talent to pass up..
Cedic Simmons a true PF/ C
and Ronnie Brewer. another verstatile Guard ....
:cloud9: oh the possibilities

At the 5th spot....I would much rather get someone like Tiago Splitter. He seems to be the inside the paint Big Man that we would want.

The only issue is buying out his contract with the European team that he is part of.

rexnom
05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
At the 5th spot....I would much rather get someone like Tiago Splitter. He seems to be the inside the paint Big Man that we would want.

The only issue is buying out his contract with the European team that he is part of.

How about taking someone who is much less of a risk? A proven college player who will play big in the pros too.