PDA

View Full Version : NBA and divisions

rexnom
05-16-2006, 04:00 AM
I'm sure there is some logical explanation to this and I'm just missing it. As such, I'm just curious, why does the NBA still have divisions? I know they're going to fix the playoff seeding problem to honor the division arrangement but why do we need to honor the divisions in the first place? Just curious.

Slick Pinkham
05-16-2006, 08:51 AM
promotes regional rivalries by playing geographically closer teams more often with more on the line

Frostwolf
05-16-2006, 08:57 AM
As well as lessening player fatigue by enabling them to play more games that are closer to home.

ChicagoJ
05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
But those arguements aren't really true any more, thanks to expansion.

You play every team in your division four times. The rest of the conference you either play three times or four times. So you play the teams in the other conference twice.

Conference makes a difference, division does not.

beast23
05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
In other words, why not seed by conference finish, rather than recognizing division "champions"?

Let it be more like the Big 10. A regular season Conference Champion, and a post season Conference Champion.

rexnom
05-17-2006, 12:14 AM
But those arguements aren't really true any more, thanks to expansion.

You play every team in your division four times. The rest of the conference you either play three times or four times. So you play the teams in the other conference twice.

Conference makes a difference, division does not.

Exactly...

Kstat
05-17-2006, 12:24 AM
It gives lesser teams a shot at making the postseason.

It adds insentive for teams to keep playing hard late into the season.

And yes, competing for first in a division DOES promote rivalries. The Celtics and Sixers wouldnt have been so fun to watch if they werent competing in the atlantic every season.

I love divisons, frankly. It gives the little guy hope to hold on to.