PDA

View Full Version : Erazem Lorbek (coming in 2007)

Hicks
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Q. We don't have a real good idea of what the team as a whole will look like next year, but we do know that we will add Erazem Lorbek to our roster. What type of player is Erazem? Is he able to hit perimeter shots and spread the floor like a lot of European big men are capable of doing (see Andrei Kirilenko, Dirk Nowitzki, Mehmet Okur, Darko Milicic, etc.)? Is his inside game formidable? Does he rebound well? Is he a role player in the mold of Jeff Foster or is he only going to be happy if he puts up 10 shots or more a night? (From Brendan in Bloomington, Ind.)

A. Though Lorbek had another solid season in Europe, Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird said last week the franchise's plan is for the 6-10, 240-pound forward to spend one more season overseas before making his NBA debut. Lorbek is 22 and has been described by the FIBA website as "the best European player of his age." He is considered an excellent perimeter shooter and high-post passer who needs development playing with his back to the basket, as well as on individual defense.

Playing for Climamio Bologna (Italy) in EuroLeague competition, Lorbek averaged 23 minutes, 9.6 points and 4.3 rebounds while shooting 55 percent from the field, 47 percent from the 3-point line and 53 percent from the free-throw line. In higher level competition against the EuroLeague Top 16, he averaged 10.8 points and 4.3 rebounds, shooting 66 percent from the field, 50 percent from the arc and 67 percent from the line. As an aside, one of his teammates in Bologna is former Indiana State guard Nate Green.

He also played a key role in helping his native Slovenia's national team qualify for its first-ever appearance in the World Basketball Championship, which will be played later this year (Aug. 19 through Sept. 3) in Japan. Coming off a strong 2004-05 season in which he captured the EuroLeague Rising Star trophy, which goes to the league's best player under the age of 22, Lorbek is continuing to develop into a true NBA prospect.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

How does a guy who shoots that well from 3 shoot that kind of low % from the FT line? Bruce Bowen syndrome.

rexnom
05-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Could this guy turn out to be the steal of the draft as much as Granger? I'm hyped.

Jermaniac
05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
47% from the 3, 6-10, 240. SOUNDS GOOD. Sounds like Dirk.

btowncolt
05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
That was the first thing that stood out at me too, Hicks. 53% from the stripe? Does he shoot it that poorly because free throws are such an individual thing and that goes completely against his nature since he plays real basketball with all his Euro friends?

<3

I kid because I love.

rexnom
05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
As long as we don't bury him on the bench when he comes over...good call on LB's part to leave him over there a little longer. I don't care if he comes over at 25 like Manu if it takes him that long to get NBA ready.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
That is weird about the FT's. I looked it up to make sure it wasn't a typo. Looks like he just doesn't shoot them well.

Also....

It’s hard to find power forwards like Erazem Lorbek with such a repertoire of offensive abilities and solid fundamentals. He can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court, has nice hands, is an excellent passer and decent rebounder. Great basketball IQ. On the down side, he’s not a great defender and is pretty soft. Still, Lorbek was considered a top young star in Europe at the beginning of the new millennium. After growing up in the juniors of Olimpija, he made the unusual decision to choose the NCAA as his next destination. However, the way Michigan State played didn’t fit with his style and he returned to sign a professional contract with Bologna. MVP of the European U20 championship in 2004. Last season, he was branded the top Euroleague player under the age of 22, averaging 9.4 points and 4.9 rebounds. Drafted as the 47th pick of this year’s Draft by the Pacers. Is the son of famous Slovenian player, Ratko Lorbek, and younger brother, Domen, was also a EuroBasket 2005 candidate. Named Erazem in honour of the famous Danish writer and scientist.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_f43ulKJBGLcVnbH-aqLVu2.teamID_2154.compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2002.roundID_3466.playerID_35190 .html

rexnom
05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
That was the first thing that stood out at me too, Hicks. 53% from the stripe? Does he shoot it that poorly because free throws are such an individual thing and that goes completely against his nature since he plays real basketball with all his Euro friends?

<3

I kid because I love.

That doesn't concern me a whole lot. He can learn. As long as he can get to the line like Dirk. That's what really impresses me about Dirk's game: he always stays aggressive.

CableKC
05-15-2006, 05:15 PM
47% from the 3, 6-10, 240. SOUNDS GOOD. Sounds like Dirk.
You know what happens when very decent 3pt shooters from Europe comes over to the NBA.....if you don't....ask your favorite Pacer how well his 3pt shot was ( hint...I'm not referring to JONeal ).

I'm just kidding....I kid....I kid....:laugh:

317Kim
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Far-sighted?

I like a good portion of what I've heard so far though.

Slick Pinkham
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
He idolizes Ben Wallace and copys his free throw shooting form.

Since Ben doesn't shoot 3's, he gets his jump-shop form elsewhere.

I kid too.

Gamble
05-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I thought the Euro three was closer and after watching Saras
and his percentages drop I am more skeptical of Lorbek.

What postion does he play PF or SF? I thought he was a PF.

Unclebuck
05-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Not impressed at all

SoupIsGood
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Not impressed at all

Not at all?

Let me say something else right here, shooting is as important as ever. Unless you have adequate shooting at multiple positions the penetration can be stopped rather easily.

I think he could be useful.

Fireball Kid
05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
eh

Roy Munson
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Not impressed at all

It's hard to imagine how someone who averages 9 ppg in europe is going to come to the NBA and have a big impact.

Perhaps the strategy is to give him 3 or 4 years, then see if maybe he blossoms into a great player. How long do the Pacers retain rights to him?

Stigmata
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
eh

I apologize for the complete off-topic post, but damn if your Crono avatar isn't awesome.

Frank Slade
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
How long do the Pacers retain rights to him?

I believe If the player is already under contract or if he signs a contract with a non-NBA team, then the team that drafted him retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's contract with the non-NBA team expires .

Lord Helmet
05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
So....we're not going to see him until 2007-08, I take it?

diamonddave00
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Count me as very skeptical Lorbek ever amounts to anything in the NBA. In all honesty I'll be suprised if he ever plays as a Pacer.

Trader Joe
05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
How do you shoot 47% from behind the arc and 53% from FT line? That is beyond me. IDK what to make of him to be quite honest and IDK if I will til I see him play.

indytoad
05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
On the down side, he’s not a great defender and is pretty soft.

Oh yes, just what we need.

Suffice to say I'm not waiting in tense anticipation.

IndyToad
Bee-bop a dop

PacerMan
05-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh yes, just what we need.

Suffice to say I'm not waiting in tense anticipation.

IndyToad
Bee-bop a dop

The Lorbek I saw against Purdue stood out as a FRESHMAN and was anything but soft. Not saying he'll be a star or even a starter, but he'll play in this league for sure.

wooolus
05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
It's hard to imagine how someone who averages 9 ppg in europe is going to come to the NBA and have a big impact.

The Detroit pistons pick one of them before Melo, DWade, and Bosh

Robertmto
05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
The Detroit pistons pick one of them before Melo, DWade, and Bosh

He averaged 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indytoad
05-15-2006, 09:03 PM

I believe Brezec had similar (or at least rather unimpressive) stats in Europe and he's become a pretty solid NBA player.

I think I'm subtly contradicting myself.

IndyToad
Sitting, waiting, wishing

Roaming Gnome
05-15-2006, 09:19 PM
If he turns into anything...it's a winner because he was just a low 2nd round pick.

You all know that you don't get much talent for 2nd round picks :unimpress .......(unless you are Phoenix- J. Jones :zip:)

Kegboy
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
My brother (who knows much more about basketball than I'll ever hope to) was pretty bummed when Lorbek left MSU. So I tend to be optimistic about the guy.

Of course, Larry actively picked him, as opposed to Danny and Hulk just falling in his lap. :dunno:

Rytas_Jega
05-16-2006, 01:55 AM
He averaged 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bit wrong comparison. Darko never played at Euroleague. Darko was 18 when he last played for European club.

Kestas
05-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Lorbek is 22 and has been described by the FIBA website as "the best European player of his age."

don't get me wrong, but where the hell do Americans get these quotes from?
I kinda have a deja vu with what has been said about Macijauskas and Jasikevicius last summer by American press.

however, cut my hand off if he can't be a starter in NBA by the time he's 28.

Rytas_Jega
05-16-2006, 02:01 AM

What postion does he play PF or SF? I thought he was a PF.

He plays PF-C. He's too slow for SF.

And what drop of Saras percentages?

Saras had 36.4% as a substitute at NBA and 39.9% as a starting point guard at Euroleague.

There was a drop, but it wasn't so dramatic.

Lithfan
05-16-2006, 03:00 AM
I saw Lorbek in 3 games this year.
I thought he is 30. He is slow and not particulary high. Has good shooting skill. I don't know, nothing particular. But when you think he is 20... Then probably he is good.

velik_m
05-16-2006, 05:49 AM
don't get me wrong, but where the hell do Americans get these quotes from?
I kinda have a deja vu with what has been said about Macijauskas and Jasikevicius last summer by American press.

however, cut my hand off if he can't be a starter in NBA by the time he's 28.

Lorbek was named best young player in Euroleague last year.

He's nothing like nowitzki, he's more like duncan in terms of gameplay (although not as good). He's pure PF, i guess you could use himas a C He has good range on his jumpshot and good shooting technic. He's not fast nor quick, but makes it up by having good basketball IQ and good footwork. He really improved his post game and D this year, but there is still room there.

Seed
05-16-2006, 06:07 AM
Lorbek is a great 2nd round pick.
He still needs to develop but I would not keep him in Europe more than 1 year from now.
He is basically a more massive but slower Krstic. Definately NBA potential.
He averaged 9 ppg in 23 min for a top Euroleague team. That's not bad at all. There aren't many players of his age that make it to the starting 5 of top teams. If he comes to the Pacers he will back JO (assuming JO stays), which means very little chance to develop. I assume this is the main reason for letting him stay in Europe.

Gamble
05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
So you don't think 47.6% to 39.6% isn't a drop. Don't just sit there and
point out 3 pt%'s and not tell the full story. Saras was able to take over
any game he wanted to in Europe but in the NBA he can't make a impact.

I really believe he can play better than what he has for the Pacers but
only time will tell.

Rytas_Jega
05-16-2006, 01:49 PM
So you don't think 47.6% to 39.6% isn't a drop. Don't just sit there and
point out 3 pt%'s and not tell the full story. Saras was able to take over
any game he wanted to in Europe but in the NBA he can't make a impact.

I really believe he can play better than what he has for the Pacers but
only time will tell.

Someone tries to change the topic now ;)

You wrote about the Euro threes, I replied to you about the Euro threes :)

Btw, what do you try to show with those 47.6% and 39.6%? It seems like it is a comparison of Saras 2pt percentage in Euroleague and fg percentage in NBA ;)

thought_criminal
05-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Hahahah, 2nd QOD published from yours truly!

Let's wait and see for the World Basketball Championships this Summer in Japan. He plays for Slovenia, if we can get some clips of it posted here maybe we can make our OWN assessments of his ability. I myself have never seen the guy play. I remember that I was impressed by Saras' performances in the Olympics. I still think that he's going to be a good player for us, and I haven't given up on him thought it seems like a lot have. Almost all rookies struggle their first year, they can't all be CP3.

As for Erazem, I will wait to actually watch him play to make a judgement. I was just wondering what skill set he brought to the table. And I believe that any guy who plays on a team managed by Larry Bird will really be drilled in the Free throw department. From there it just takes work ethic to improve.

Lithfan
05-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Hahahah, 2nd QOD published from yours truly!

Let's wait and see for the World Basketball Championships this Summer in Japan. He plays for Slovenia, if we can get some clips of it posted here maybe we can make our OWN assessments of his ability. I myself have never seen the guy play. I remember that I was impressed by Saras' performances in the Olympics. I still think that he's going to be a good player for us, and I haven't given up on him thought it seems like a lot have. Almost all rookies struggle their first year, they can't all be CP3.

As for Erazem, I will wait to actually watch him play to make a judgement. I was just wondering what skill set he brought to the table. And I believe that any guy who plays on a team managed by Larry Bird will really be drilled in the Free throw department. From there it just takes work ethic to improve.

Too pity Slovenia doesn't participate in the WC this year.

rexnom
05-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Too pity Slovenia doesn't participate in the WC this year.
Or...they are...

Check again.

thought_criminal
05-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Slovenia and USA are in the same pool for qualifiers of the WC this year, which means that we will be able to watch at least one game with Lorbek playing.