PDA

View Full Version : KNICKS May Pursue Deal For Ben Gordon

Frank Slade
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
KNICKS MAY PURSUE DEAL FOR GORDON

By LENN ROBBINS

May 15, 2006 -- The Knicks and Bulls recently held trade discussions focusing on UConn star Ben Gordon, The Post has learned.
According to sources in Chicago and a source close to Gordon, the Knicks were interested in acquiring the Mount Vernon native in exchange for, "one of the Knicks elite :unimpress guards" and a No. 1 pick in next year's draft.

The Post reported exclusively yesterday that the Knicks are looking into buying out coach Larry Brown and replacing him with GM Isiah Thomas, so any talks are in limbo.

The source close to Gordon told The Post the 6-3 shooting guard, who won the NBA's 2005 Sixth Man of the Year Award, was happy in Chicago. But the source in Chicago pointed out that Gordon is better suited to playing the point, and Kirk Hinrich seems entrenched as the starting point guard.

Gordon was unavailable to comment yesterday but he's expected to appear at Michael Jordon's restaurant, One Sixtyblue in Chicago on Wednesday to announce his new energy drink, BG7, as reported exclusively last week in The Post. Gordon averaged 16.9 points, three assists and 2.7 rebounds this season.

Gordon has had some unbelievable games in the Garden as a collegian and would give the Knicks a young talent that is not bogged down by a long-term deal. According to published reports the Bulls have out feelers to gauge interest in Gordon.

NY POST LINK (http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/66060.htm)

rexnom
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Too bad, I sure would like to see Gordon on the Pacers...maybe a three-team deal where we give the Knicks their NY pal Jamaal Tinsley and provide the Bulls with our pick in this year draft?

DisplacedKnick
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Maybe we can suit up 12 guards next season.

Hicks
05-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Isiah's going back to the Chicago well for what, the third time?

Los Angeles
05-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I dream of Gordon AND Hinrich in Pacers uniforms. It's unsettling to hear that there may be a slight problem between the two. I'd take either, but would prefer both. Chicago needs a post player, and would also need a guard to cover the loss ... Hmmm ....

CableKC
05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Seriously...how many 1st round draft picks do the Knicks have?

I throught that Zeke has pretty much mortgaged their future draft picks....1st and 2nd....over the next decade or something.

Also.......why on Earth would Ben Gordon be a better option at the PG spot? Unless someone thinks that he would turn out to be more of a Allen Iverson PG/SG....then I don't see it. The guy clearly is best suited to be a #2 shoot first-scoring option SG.

grace
05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I can't think of one person on the Knicks that I'd exchange for Ben Gordon. If the Bulls are going to trade him they can certainly do better than that.

Anthem
05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Also.......why on Earth would Ben Gordon be a better option at the PG spot?
No doubt. I don't watch many Bulls games, but if he can't take minutes away from Chris Duhon, what makes anbody think he'll take minutes from Starbury?

jcouts
05-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't want Ben Gordon on our roster. He's a scorer, and a streaky shooter, and doesn't like to pass. The last time I checked, we already had that position covered with Jax.

rexnom
05-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't want Ben Gordon on our roster. He's a scorer, and a streaky shooter, and doesn't like to pass. The last time I checked, we already had that position covered with Jax.

How about amazingly clutch player, slasher, quick player, someone who can get to the line and knock them down, and someone who can create his own shot rather easily. How many of those do we have covered?

DisplacedKnick
05-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Seriously...how many 1st round draft picks do the Knicks have?

Two this season and one next season (I think).

Kstat
05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Chicago can SWITCH picks with the Bulls next year, so NY gets one in 07 no matter what.

college31guy
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Chicago can SWITCH picks with the Bulls next year, so NY gets one in 07 no matter what.

Do you mean NY can switch picks w/ the Bulls next year or am I not reading something right?

btowncolt
05-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Do you mean NY can switch picks w/ the Bulls next year or am I not reading something right?

No, the Bulls can switch picks with the Knicks next year.

college31guy
05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Ahh, thank you!

jcouts
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
How about amazingly clutch player, slasher, quick player, someone who can get to the line and knock them down, and someone who can create his own shot rather easily. How many of those do we have covered?

yeah, most of that fits into the word "scorer"...he's a quick player on offense...seems to slow down a bit when it's time to play defense a la Travis Best

I'm only into smaller shooting guards if they play bigger than their size...Joe Dumars is a great example of a smaller SG that I liked. I don't see Gordon fitting that mold on the defensive end, or in the assists category.

CableKC
05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
yeah, most of that fits into the word "scorer"...he's a quick player on offense...seems to slow down a bit when it's time to play defense a la Travis Best

I'm only into smaller shooting guards if they play bigger than their size...Joe Dumars is a great example of a smaller SG that I liked. I don't see Gordon fitting that mold on the defensive end, or in the assists category.
The only thing that I got out of the Post-ASB Bulls was that Gordon is a pretty good scorer. If the Pacers want a very solid 2nd scoring option player that can play next to JONeal that will kill an opposing team for leaving him open......its Gordon. In their regular season run towards the playoffs.....if you weren't effectively guarding him.....he would hit the shot.

If the Pacers could not get Peja to resign....I would seriously want to make a serious run at Gordon and essentially rebuild around JONeal, Gordon ( as the Pacers #2 scoring option ) and Granger. Gordon...IMHO....is another version of Iverson...except that he can't play defense.

The only real concern would be that I wouldn't want Carlisle to coach a team with Gordon on it...I can only see that it will end up worse then how things are right now with Skiles.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL

Zeke keeps working his magic.

Jay Ohh
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
I'd love to see him here, but that's not happening. Kids one of the best shooters in the league, and has been incredibly clutch in his first two years. He's money when he's open, and if he's on, it doesn't matter if he's open. We could use him bad.

CompACE
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
If they get gordon, i assume they'll be getting rid of at least one of the other big names - Lets hope for the knicks fans (i can't believe i just said that) that they do, but who knows. Knowing how Isiah is, he'd be content with having a starting lineup of gordon, francis, marbury, crawford & chandler. I do admit that that would be really funny to watch.

Robertmto
05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Eventually the Knicks' roster will be filled with shoot first guards and 6'8 overpaid power forwards!!!

Pig Nash
05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
You mean it's not already?

Robertmto
05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
You mean it's not already?

They have 2 players that dont fit the Knick mold; Jerome James (7'1) and Eddy Curry (6'11) Other than that yes they are already!

CableKC
05-15-2006, 07:54 PM
They have 2 players that dont fit the Knick mold; Jerome James (7'1) and Eddy Curry (6'11) Other than that yes they are already!
Curry is the only one that may not fit the "Overpaid" label...and that's stretching it.

I just read on the RealGM Knicks forum that this upcoming season maybe LBs last run as the Knicks coach.....he may even be replaced by...surprise surprise....Zeke as the coach.

Robertmto
05-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Zeke is the opposite of the Midas Touch to any organization he works with...

Eindar
05-15-2006, 11:39 PM
This is a Traveshamockery. I guess Zeke's plan is to bring in a bunch of good ball-handlers and then become coach and teach them to run The Quick?

What really makes me sick is that Zeke doesn't know his own strengths or weaknesses. From day one, he should have let it be known that he was going to rebuild through the draft. Then, he could let all those awful contracts expire, while at the same time, using his one major strength, talent evaluation, to surround himself with core players and marketable pieces. He could have had the Knicks completely turned around within 2-3 years. Sad, really.

GO!!!!!
05-16-2006, 12:38 AM
this an't a good deal for the knicks...

if thats anything to go by

This trade sounds like a long shot to us, but then again, John Paxson has had pretty good success in the past making trades with Isiah Thomas.