PDA

View Full Version : Isiah to become Knicks coach ? Second article

Unclebuck
05-14-2006, 08:45 AM
This is too juicy to pass up.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/sports/63701.htm

COULD BE BROWN & OUT COULD BE BROWN AND OUT
By PETER VECSEY

May 14, 2006 -- HOOP DU JOUR AMONG the "celebrities" who ambled over to Lincoln Center to watch David Blaine immerse himself in a water bubble was Isiah Thomas. If anybody can appreciate someone who stands around the West Side doing nothing, it's the Knicks president.

Then again, should information from a high-level team source prove precise, I'll be forced to wolf those words.

According to that Knicks hearing aide, Thomas suddenly has a plan; who cares if it's borrowed from his bosses? From what I'm told, Cablevision boss James Dolan and Garden President Steve Mills are endorsing the buyout of Larry Brown's remaining $44 million, four-year obligation, and strongly urging Thomas to take over as head coach, a position he held for three years with the Pacers.

That's one way, I guess, of holding Thomas accountable. Since replacing Scott Layden 21/2 seasons ago, he's assembled and re-assembled the roster.

Presumably, he thinks his chosen ones can play more than a lick.

Presumably, he still likes most, contrary to Brown, who loathes most, none more than Stephon Marbury, Isiah's poisonous pet who recoils on orders. That's why Stephon didn't make his season-ending speech to the media, as threatened; his cult figure commanded him to holster his fangs.

Presumably, Thomas will be able to extract more energy, caring and loyalty from his recruits than a drill instructor who habitually rags them in public. Marbury won't exactly be the only player celebrating, should Brown be bounced.

The way I hear it, Thomas is positive the Knicks will improve appreciably with him in charge. He's confident a tweak here, a tweak there, and his talent pool's win total will soar from 23 to close to break even.

For months, the piqued, the turned off and the tuned out have advocated the deportation of Mills, Thomas, Brown and Marbury, altogether aware it would never remotely happen in its entirety during this off-season or, considering their bloated contracts, in seasons to come.

Convincing Dolan to extinguish himself is a more practical prospect. You can't as much as tempt him to sell his family cable company and all its accoutrements; it's not like people haven't made the effort.

"The only way to get the Knicks out of Dolan's clutches," groans the above-mentioned insider, someone who's been there, tried that, "is to pry it from his cold hands." At the very least (at best, in other words), the popular rumination by those lost in a daydream is that even Dolan, Mills and Thomas must recognize that Brown and Marbury cannot return for another venomous go-around.

One pollutant or the other - hopefully both - must be eradicated before next season's projected mediocre presentation is too far gone to resuscitate.

Unless Brown's health issues - and advantageous insurance clauses - compel him to split, that would have seemed to leave Marbury as the odd man out. Judging by quotes from Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, it's not unreasonable to visualize a trade to re-acquire Kevin Garnett's former kindergarten playmate.

That was the common-held belief. Yet, we figured wrong.

Presumably, that means more than the firing/expiring of Joe Favorito, so far the sorry season's lone casualty . . . though I often suspected the veteran Madison Square Garden publicity man was responsible for a lot of the Knicks' problems.

My next 10 thoughts, exhumed from the cracks in my cranium re: Thomas coaching the Knicks:

1. I like it. Why ask your overpaid, underperforming figurines to tune out two different overpaid, underperforming figureheads when you can eliminate the middle man and pass the savings on to no one.

2. What size gurney does Thomas take?

3. Let's see if I get this: Thomas, an abject failure in one job - president of basketball operations - is given additional duties. Who's running Camp Cablevision? Howard Dean?

4. Did Anucha Browne Sanders sign off on this?

5. How long will it take Thomas and Marbury to fall out of love?

6. Is this the Knicks' way of offering to serve St. John's probation?

7. What happens to Next Town Brown? Has someone considered his feelings? I mean, the guy's been about nothing but stability for three decades. This might very well be a shock to his system.

8. Where are poll numbers worse - 2 Pennsylvania Plaza or 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

9. I smell a Maloof.

10. Someone tell Next Town, if he makes this racial, there's a job opening at Power 105.1.

The rules say a team must win four games to win a series. However, the Heat may have accomplished the same thing to by winning four minutes.

New Jersey was clinging to an 81-80 lead Friday nigh with just over 4:30 to go in Game 3. Then, Miami continued as the aggressor (free throws, Heat 34-40, Nets 12-20) and the home team was caught in a series of compromising situations caused by confounding stupidity. Unforced errors, players out of position thanks to poor ball (and bowel) movement led to late-game turnovers and ill-advised shots. Nothing says "Kobe" quite like Vince Carter hoisting 34 shots (he did hit 17 en route to 43 points) while his teammates stand around like they're the Devils.

This just in: Charles Barkley accused Carter's surrounding cast of being selfish.

Finally, Shawn Kemp wanted me to pass along his annual Happy Mother's Day greeting. "And to those not yet blessed, be patient. The stork and I are working as fast as we can."

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

Will Galen
05-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I absolutely don't think it will happen, but I had the thought after reading this. Larry Brown as Pacers coach part two.

One reason, if NY buys Brown out they will probably have it in the buyout that Brown can't coach in the East for a year.

bulletproof
05-14-2006, 10:11 AM
God, that guy can't write. I couldn't get all the way through it.

Shade
05-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I absolutely don't think it will happen, but I had the thought after reading this. Larry Brown as Pacers coach part two.

One reason, if NY buys Brown out they will probably have it in the buyout that Brown can't coach in the East for a year.

Dear God, no. LB is already making a killing mooching off of Detroit and now possibly New York while sitting at home doing nothing. And we have enough health issues without having to worry about our coach as well. It's time for Brown to hang 'em up.

Btw, I think most of us knew that Zeke would likely eventually end up on the Knicks' bench, if he didn't get canned first.

Kegboy
05-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Now now. Just because you don't like what a reporter says, doesn't mean you should criticize him.

/douginoh

Kegboy
05-14-2006, 10:39 AM
As for the story, I'll believe it when I see it. If it were to happen though, I do think Isiah would do a better job than Larry did last year. Granted, that's not saying much.

Shade
05-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Now now. Just because you don't like what a reporter says, doesn't mean you should criticize him.

/douginoh

Is Vecsey a reporter or a columnist? :disturbed

pizza guy
05-14-2006, 10:59 AM

I was hoping it wasn't just me. That seemed like the most disconnected, random, babbling article I've seen printed by a "professional" -- ever.

As to Brown, he's a good coach.

BUT

Why add another person to this team that has health problems?

BTW, what makes IT think he's a better coach than Brown?

Shade
05-14-2006, 11:00 AM
I was hoping it wasn't just me. That seemed like the most disconnected, random, babbling article I've seen printed by a "professional" -- ever.

As to Brown, he's a good coach.

BUT

Why add another person to this team that has health problems?

BTW, what makes IT think he's a better coach than Brown?

I see you're new to reading the NY Post, and Vecsey in particular...

pizza guy
05-14-2006, 11:01 AM
No, I've read Vecsey before, but that was really strange. I don't mind random stuff thrown in, but not at the cost of "readability." That was just very hard to make sense of.

grace
05-14-2006, 11:09 AM

He must be a columnist because I refuse to read anything he writes.

DisplacedKnick
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM

He writes for The Post - IOW, both and neither.

Kstat
05-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Hope you enjoyed the Larry Brown era in NY.....

Unclebuck
05-14-2006, 02:19 PM
OK, since some of you didn't like that article here is another one on this topic

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/v-pfriendly/story/417611p-352779c.html

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Knicks buying out Larry?
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, May 14th, 2006

Garden chairman James Dolan apparently has started the process of ending Larry Brown's dream job after one season.

According to sources, Dolan, upset over Brown's record and the coach's public criticism of his players, is considering buying out the final four years of Brown's contract, worth at least $40 million.

The Knicks declined to comment, and would neither confirm nor deny one published report that already is naming Knicks president Isiah Thomas as Brown's successor. Brown has indicated that he will not resign, but if Thomas takes over, the Knicks would avoid having to pay another coach upwards of $5 million annually.

Thomas, who coached the Pacers from 2000-2003 but never got them out of the first round of the playoffs, is said to be amenable to coaching the Knicks, one source told the Daily News.

Knicks brass has not met with Brown since the end of the 23-59 season, according to sources, perhaps another indication of Dolan's dissatisfaction with the Hall of Fame coach. According to a team official, Brown has requested a meeting with Dolan but Thomas has told Brown there is no reason for him to meet with the club's owner.

Last month, The News reported that a majority of the players blamed the Knicks' worst season in 20 years on Brown, whose hiring last July was looked upon as a way to return the struggling franchise to prominence.

Brown, one of the most successful coaches in basketball history, ended the season with 1,010 NBA victories (he is fourth on the all-time list) but was never happy with the roster that the embattled Thomas had assembled. The Knicks played and acted like the league's most undisciplined team, which reflected poorly on the players and Brown. The coach talked often about a wish list of players more suited to his team-first, defense-oriented style, but sources say Brown has been told the team cannot be changed significantly.

After joining the Knicks following a messy divorce from the Pistons, Brown quickly reignited his feud with point guard Stephon Marbury, which began during the 2004 Olympics in Athens. Within a few months, Brown had publicly criticized several players, which was an indictment of Thomas, who put together the league's most expensive roster at $125 million.

According to sources, Thomas also was upset that Brown chose to publicly air his complaints about the Knicks' flawed roster. A turning point came in late February, when Dolan and Thomas joined the Knicks for a three-day road trip to San Antonio and Memphis. The News reported that during that trip, Dolan told Brown to focus on coaching the players. The following day, Dolan gave Thomas a strong endorsement, while giving Brown a lukewarm review.

It was during that trip that Brown entered a Memphis hospital after complaining of chest pains. Six weeks later, Brown took ill and left a game in Cleveland in the third quarter, and was later taken on a stretcher to a hospital, complaining of an acid reflux problem. He missed the next three games, but returned for the finale against the Nets at Meadowlands Arena, where he let assistant Herb Williams run the team. During his farewell address to the media after the season, Brown shocked Garden brass by saying he had been suffering from the flu and that Thomas and team doctors had advised him not to coach that game.

According to two player agents with clients on the Knicks, the players staged a palace coup in front of Thomas during their exit interviews. Players never blame themselves, and they weren't about to cast aspersions on Thomas, the man responsible for bringing them to New York.

Instead, approximately eight of the Knicks' 15 players blamed Brown for arguably the worst season in franchise history. The most common complaints were Brown's failure to define roles and his penchant for publicly criticizing his players.

"The Knicks are going to have to make changes because there is no way Larry can walk into the locker room with this same group," one source said then. "He lost a lot of those guys and he's not going to win them back."

Brown could not have been surprised by the feedback Thomas was getting. Two weeks earlier, Brown admitted that several Knicks had long since tuned him out, and said that the season had been reduced to "begging guys to play."

After the exit interviews, Thomas said: "We do have a group that, for everything that I've heard today, like each other, want to stay together and want to play together, and believe that they can get it done."

Anthem
05-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Finally, Shawn Kemp wanted me to pass along his annual Happy Mother's Day greeting. "And to those not yet blessed, be patient. The stork and I are working as fast as we can."
Oh, man, that's terrible. :laugh:

Jermaniac
05-14-2006, 04:34 PM
What a mess

Tim
05-14-2006, 05:20 PM
I didn't read much passed the first sentance.

This is a bunch of media drama.

If Dolan really is considering canning LB he is an idiot. No one can work with that mess in NY.

NY problem isn't Isiah or any GM before him, the problem is Dolan and others at his level. Every GM that I can remember in recent years have been handcuffed. Its like Dolan wants decent ratings and to go to the playoffs every year and will not make the sacrifices to build a true championship team.
Its too easy to write a big check every year for the next big name.

They have got to shed this high priced baggage, tank it for 3 years and build from the draft. Dolan won't do that.

There is a saying about NY fans that I just plain do not believe, that they would not tolerate a rebuild. That is crap. NY fans have shown while they may be impatient at times, they are smart. Tell them you are going to change things through the draft and they need to be a little patient, so long as they see progress they will stick with the team.

pizza guy
05-14-2006, 05:26 PM
It's stupid, I just don't understand why NY would do this.

....oh yeah....Isiah Thomas....

Does IT really believe that having 15 'me-first' guards will win? Maybe it's like how Bird wants good shooters because he was a good shooter; IT wants guards because he was a guard. I don't know. Don't listen to the NBA's 4th winningest coach who just won a championship for his last team, listen to the guy who couldn't make it out of the first round....smart.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Oh, man, that's terrible. :laugh:

Was wondering if anybody picked up on that (or was still reading.)