PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I could get a hold of a few games with Oscar Robertson?

Tim
05-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I have never seen him play yet he is one of the greats, does anyone know of any video of him?

brich
05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I am assuming you mean Oscar Robertson? If you are, there are a couple of videos/dvd's that come up when you google his name. As far as any online web footage...that I am not sure about.

05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Just watch Lebron.. :)

PacerMan
05-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Just watch Lebron.. :)

Not. Oscar AVERAGED a triple double for a season.\

Let me know when Lebron does that.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 02:01 AM

I thot he did it for two seasons

rexnom
05-14-2006, 02:13 AM
Ok, is it just me or is Robinson's triple double a little overrated? Not to take away anything from it but I just don't think it's the ULTIMATE NBA statistical feat. All due to the incredibly high rebounding (as well as scoring) totals of the 1960s? I just feel like Magic would eclipse Oscar's numbers in the 60s. I also feel like LeBron could average double figures rebounds. Assists is debatable. One thing is for sure though, LeBron doesn't really play like Oscar did.

rabid
05-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Ok, is it just me or is Robinson's triple double a little overrated? Not to take away anything from it but I just don't think it's the ULTIMATE NBA statistical feat. All due to the incredibly high rebounding (as well as scoring) totals of the 1960s? I just feel like Magic would eclipse Oscar's numbers in the 60s. I also feel like LeBron could average double figures rebounds. Assists is debatable. One thing is for sure though, LeBron doesn't really play like Oscar did.

That's like asking what numbers Shaq would have in Wilt's era. Kind of a moot point.

Coulda woulda shoulda. Oscar actually DID it. I think it's a pretty amazing stat.

Moses
05-14-2006, 09:37 AM
The game pace in the 60s was so much faster then it is now. The best defensive team only allowed 130 PPG if that's enough to show you that while it is a great feat to average a triple double, it would have been much more possible in those times to do it easily. I think Jason Kidd could have averaged a triple double in the 60s if he played back then due to the fast pace the game was played at.

It's a moot point because nobody really knows who could have done what back then.

05-14-2006, 12:14 PM

Read Rexnom´s/Moses reply, your answer is there. Lebron would like maybe average a quadr. double in the 60s. The best TRUE Triple Double guy is Magic Johnson, if he was alive today and in his prime he would still almost average a triple double. BUT still..... Lebron is only 21 years old! Lets look at the stats from 1 season compared to Magic when they both was 20...

........AGE G FG% 3PT% FT% SPG RPG APG BPG PPG
Lebron 20 80 .472 .351 .750 2.21 7.4 7.2 0.65 27.2
Magic. 20 77 .534 .225 .810 2.40 7.7 7.3 0.59 18.0

HEIGHT WEIGHT
Lebron 6´8" 240 lbs
Magic. 6´8" 250 lbs

MAGIC IS REBORN MY FRIENDS......

Kstat
05-14-2006, 12:56 PM
The game pace in the 60s was so much faster then it is now. The best defensive team only allowed 130 PPG if that's enough to show you that while it is a great feat to average a triple double, it would have been much more possible in those times to do it easily. I think Jason Kidd could have averaged a triple double in the 60s if he played back then due to the fast pace the game was played at.

It's a moot point because nobody really knows who could have done what back then.

Um, the best defensive team in 1962 (Boston) allowed 111.9ppg. The worst (Philly) allowed 122.7.

....yet none of you geniuses can explain to me why nobody ELSE in the 60's came close to what guys like Baylor, Oscar and Wilt accomplished statistically....

Oscar had such an easy time racking up 11 assists per game in 1962, yet HE WAS THE ONLY GUY AVERAGING MORE THEN EIGHT.

I guess they must have been the only ones aware of this "much faster pace".... :rolleyes:

I'm well aware the pace of the game was faster in the 60's. However, its BS to discredit statistics when they are leaps and bounds ahead of anybody else in the same time period.

Let's also not forget that the 80's were inflated as hell too.

The highest scoring season of all time wasn't in the 60's, it was Denver in the 80's (126.5ppg in 1982).

Denver also allowed 126ppg that same year, worse than any team of the 60's.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:19 PM
ATTN: All PD Posters

Lebron James is Lebron James. He is not Michael Jeffrey Jordan nor is he Magic Johnson. LBJ is not the second coming of the NBA immortals, he is the first coming of superstars to come. Any future comparisons of the 2/3 will result in a verbal assault by Robertmto and many others I am sure. Thank you and have a nice day.

Robertmto

Kstat
05-14-2006, 01:23 PM

Lebron James is Lebron James. He is not Michael Jeffrey Jordan nor is he Magic Johnson. LBJ is not the second coming of the NBA immortals, he is the first coming of superstars to come. Any future comparisons of the 2/3 will result in a verbal assault by Robertmto and many others I am sure. Thank you and have a nice day.

Robertmto
Thank you.

Stop comparing Lebron to Oscar if you haven't even seen Oscar play. One guy was a post up guard, the other is a slashing small forward. All they have in common is stats.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Thank you.

Stop comparing Lebron to Oscar if you haven't even seen Oscar play. One guy was a post up guard, the other is a slashing small forward. All they have in common is stats.

No problem kstat!

Moses
05-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Um, the best defensive team in 1962 (Boston) allowed 111.9ppg. The worst (Philly) allowed 122.7.

....yet none of you geniuses can explain to me why nobody ELSE in the 60's came close to what guys like Baylor, Oscar and Wilt accomplished statistically....

Oscar had such an easy time racking up 11 assists per game in 1962, yet HE WAS THE ONLY GUY AVERAGING MORE THEN EIGHT.

I guess they must have been the only ones aware of this "much faster pace".... :rolleyes:

I'm well aware the pace of the game was faster in the 60's. However, its BS to discredit statistics when they are leaps and bounds ahead of anybody else in the same time period.

The highest scoring season of all time wasn't in the 60's, it was Denver in the 80's (126.5ppg in 1982).

130 was a stretch but I remember reading in Simmons article that one of those years, the best team was 130.

Needless to say, 110 PPG for the best defensive team? I'm not discrediting what those guys did because they would be super-stars in todays league..But they wouldn't have averaged what they did. If you think they still would, you don't have a grip on reality.

Kstat
05-14-2006, 01:29 PM
130 was a stretch but I remember reading in Simmons article that one of those years, the best team was 130.

Did he also explain how they played with two basketballs instead of one, and how Wilt played with 5'10" centers, and making 10 baskets in a row resulted in a "multiball" in which all 10 players on the floor got basketballs to shoot?

I dont care about the overall pace of the game.

Oscar did something that nobody else in the 60's didn't even come close to accomplishing.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:29 PM
This fella "#31" doesn't seem to have that grip right about now...

rexnom
05-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Please look at rebounding numbers for the 60s. Please. That's the stat I was questioning.

Moses
05-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Did he also explain how they played with two basketballs instead of one, and how Wilt played with 5'10" centers, and making 10 baskets in a row resulted in a "multiball" in which all 10 players on the floor got basketballs to shoot?

I dont care about the overall pace of the game.

Oscar did something that nobody else in the 60's didn't even come close to accomplishing.
Don't evade what I'm trying to say.

Would Oscar average the same stats in todays league when teams have better defensive schemes and players as well as a slower paced game?

Not a chance.

Kstat
05-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Don't evade what I'm trying to say.

Would Oscar average the same stats in todays league when teams have better defensive schemes and players as well as a slower paced game?

Not a chance.

First of all, Oscar PLAYED a slower, halfcourt game. He did his damage in the post. He launched a lot of jumpers on the break, but his rebounds and assists came in halfcourt sets.

Of all the players in the 60's, I think Oscar would be affected the LEAST of everybody.

Kstat
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Please look at rebounding numbers for the 60s. Please. That's the stat I was questioning.

Wilt Russell and Baylor were still head and shoulders above other rebounders of the era, but i'll freely admit it was the stat most inflated.

Not because of the pace of the game though, because the shooting was so poor.

As for Individual scoring, again, aside from Wilt, the stats were the same as they are today, and assists were DOWN then from today.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:39 PM

The game was no where near the polished style it is now, so of course the rebounding numbers would be inflated.

rexnom
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
First of all, Oscar PLAYED a slower, halfcourt game. He did his damage in the post. He launched a lot of jumpers on the break, but his rebounds and assists came in halfcourt sets.

Of all the players in the 60's, I think Oscar would be affected the LEAST of everybody.
I could agree with this. My point is just that there were many more rebounds in the game in the 60s. If you look at total rebounds, Oscar got about the same amount that Ben Wallace gets these days. Would you say Oscar is a better rebounder than Big Ben? This doesn't mean that Oscar wasn't an amazing point guard and scorer. I just don't think he would have gotten as many rebounds now as then.

Moses
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
The game was no where near the polished style it is now, so of course the rebounding numbers would be inflated.
That's the point.

The game wasn't polished back then and the super-stars of that era took full advantage of it. They were first ballot hall of famers and they would be today, but the statistics still wouldn't be the same.

rexnom
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM

So then we're all in agreement!

Kstat
05-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I could agree with this. My point is just that there were many more rebounds in the game in the 60s. If you look at total rebounds, Oscar got about the same amount that Ben Wallace gets these days. Would you say Oscar is a better rebounder than Big Ben? This doesn't mean that Oscar wasn't an amazing point guard and scorer. I just don't think he would have gotten as many rebounds now as then.

Considering he was most always his team's leading rebounder, I think he'd get close to 10 no matter what year. He was probably the best rebounding guard of his era.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:47 PM
That's the point. The game wasn't polished back then and the super-stars of that era took full advantage of it. They were first ballot hall of famers and they would be today, but the statistics still wouldn't be the same.

So that means the superstars of the 60's should be held in a higher pedestal because they had to work that much harde to be a superstar in a game no one knew how to play very well. Oscar put his heart and soul into basketball. He was a member of the Crispus Atucks HS team that was the first all black team to win an Indiana High Scool State basketball championship. I learned alot about Robertson during my 3 years at Crispus Attucks for middle school. I honestly believe that no matter how good LBJ is right now it is an insult to Oscar to compare the two. Oscar Roberts is and always will be a legend. LeBron James has the chance to be a legend, there is a HUGE difference.

rexnom
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Considering he was most always his team's leading rebounder, I think he'd get close to 10 no matter what year. He was probably the best rebounding guard of his era.
Yeah, definitely, though he was rarely the best rebounder on those 60s Cinci teams.

Moses
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
So that means the superstars of the 60's should be held in a higher pedestal because they had to work that much harde to be a superstar in a game no one knew how to play very well. Oscar put his heart and soul into basketball. He was a member of the Crispus Atucks HS team that was the first all black team to win an Indiana High Scool State basketball championship. I learned alot about Robertson during my 3 years at Crispus Attucks for middle school. I honestly believe that no matter how good LBJ is right now it is an insult to Oscar to compare the two. Oscar Roberts is and always will be a legend. LeBron James has the chance to be a legend, there is a HUGE difference.
Playing harder..against lesser players...:laugh:

So todays all-stars don't try hard?

rexnom
05-14-2006, 01:50 PM

I just don't think they're the same type of player. Ye olde apples and oranges...

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Playing harder..against lesser players...:laugh:

So todays all-stars don't try hard?

No where in any post did i say that. Thats just asinine.

Robertmto
05-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I just don't think they're the same type of player. Ye olde apples and oranges...

My point. There is no comparison.

Moses
05-14-2006, 02:04 PM
No where in any post did i say that. Thats just asinine.
They were great players but they were playing against alot of guys that couldn't even break a rotation in todays NBA.

The only comparison that can be made between LBJ and Oscar is that they are both going into the hall of fame and are both super-stars of the game.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Wilt Russell and Baylor were still head and shoulders above other rebounders of the era, but i'll freely admit it was the stat most inflated.

Don't forget Walt Bellamy, the fourth best center of that era averaged a 20-20.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Oscar averaged a triple-double for one season, and over a five year cumulative stretch he also averaged a triple-double. (Two seasons of point-rebounds double-doubles just barely missing on assists and two seasons of points-assists double-doubles just barely missing on rebounds.)

If anything, Oscar's triple-double ability is underrated. Oscar had forty more triple-doubles in his career than Magic, 178 vs. 138. That's a big (~30%) difference.

Kstat, I'd argue that Oscar was the best rebounding guard of all time.

05-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Robertmto

Huh? NOBODY said that he is Jordan or Magic, i said that Lebron is that TYPE off a player and thats extremly rare (oscar, magic, or do you prefere "triple double" averaging player because you get so upset when people mention Magics or Oscars name) and giving you a glimpse off what TYPE off a direction he is heading to and what TYPE off a career he could have comparing to Magics similar game in his first two seasons in the NBA.... and what has Jordan have to do with this anyways, im talking about triple double players here.

This fella "#31" doesn't seem to have that grip right about now...

What does that mean? Im not here 24 hours a day and waiting for your reply so i can answer them ASAP if you think so?