PDA

View Full Version : Netsí Clifford Robinson Suspended 5 Games violating Drug Policy

Frank Slade
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Nets’ Clifford Robinson Suspended

NEW YORK, May 12, 2006 – The NBA announced today that Clifford Robinson of the New Jersey Nets has been suspended without pay for five games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program. Robinson’s suspension will begin with tonight’s game between the New Jersey Nets and the Miami Heat

:tsk: A former trailblazer do I even need to ask...:(

: L I N K (http://www.nba.com/news/robinson_060512.html)

Whether you agree with the penalty or not.. Cliff being a Vet knows the rules, and why would do this during the playoff's...

Major Cold
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
convient for both the Heat and the NBA

Jon Theodore
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
40 years old, in the NBA, and still smoking.....HAHAHAHA. If anyone in the east is gonna beat detroit it is the heat, but they obviously won't.

Slick Pinkham
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM

:rolleyes:

Everything is a conspiracy.

Next thing you know they will be putting fluorine in the water. Oh wait...

What a dumb move by Cliff. If only he had taken the test a few weeks ago.

Eindar
05-12-2006, 02:37 PM
:rolleyes:

Everything is a conspiracy.

Next thing you know they will be putting fluorine in the water. Oh wait...

What a dumb move by Cliff. If only he had taken the test a few weeks ago.

And we're supposed to believe that every instance like this is just a coincidence? That's a veritable mountain of coincidence. I'll compile the facts for you.

New Jersey is a much bigger TV market than Indiana, and the Nets lose if Cliff gets suspended during that series.

New Jersey isn't that much bigger of a TV market when compared to Miami, plus, Miami has "superstars". However, the Nets were going to make a series of it. Not now.

Further, had NJ managed to get by the Heat, they ALWAYS give Detroit trouble.

It's entirely plausible to say that if NJ could manage to beat Miami (with home cort advantage, now), they have a not negligible chance to beat Detroit. That would put shadow-of-his-former-self Kidd in the finals along with the poster boy of what the league doesn't want you to do, Vince Carter.

But I'll shut up, it's obviously ALL coincidence that so far, every ball is bouncing just the way the league office would prefer.

Frank Slade
05-12-2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.noby.de/ja/lake/dragon/dragon-smoking.gif]

:reporter:

In a related story..
The Nets will be enlisting the help of a large Green Dragon
in Cliff's Absence,..

"Puff " ( as he is called by his friends) said it was the least he could do, as he feel mostly responsible for Cliff's un timely lapse in judgement

Hicks
05-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Couldn't he have lit up 3 weeks ago? :kickcan:

Since86
05-12-2006, 02:56 PM

He probably did.

The test just wasn't given then.

beast23
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM

No kidding. No Cliffy and his defense and the Pacers probably would have advanced.

Fool
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
And we're supposed to believe that every instance like this is just a coincidence? That's a veritable mountain of coincidence. I'll compile the facts for you.

New Jersey is a much bigger TV market than Indiana, and the Nets lose if Cliff gets suspended during that series.

New Jersey isn't that much bigger of a TV market when compared to Miami, plus, Miami has "superstars". However, the Nets were going to make a series of it. Not now.

Further, had NJ managed to get by the Heat, they ALWAYS give Detroit trouble.

It's entirely plausible to say that if NJ could manage to beat Miami (with home cort advantage, now), they have a not negligible chance to beat Detroit. That would put shadow-of-his-former-self Kidd in the finals along with the poster boy of what the league doesn't want you to do, Vince Carter.

But I'll shut up, it's obviously ALL coincidence that so far, every ball is bouncing just the way the league office would prefer.

A veritable Everest ...

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Pure stupidity

blanket
05-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Must've been all the poppyseed bagels he's been eating :rolleyes:

bulletproof
05-12-2006, 03:35 PM

TRUTH

Follow the money. Heat vs. Pistons = better tv ratings, more ad revenue. Nets vs. Pistons = less ad revenue.

waxman
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Thats why we called him uncle spliff in phx.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
TRUTH

Follow the money. Heat vs. Pistons = better tv ratings, more ad revenue. Nets vs. Pistons = less ad revenue.

So what.

Plus the ads are sold well in advance.

bulletproof
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
So what.

Plus the ads are sold well in advance.

That's not true. Some air time is sold in advance, but it can be bought almost right up to the event (there are deadlines and it depends on the event), and advertisers can cancel as well (they have deadlines as well). Ad revenues rise and fall with the ratings, my friend.

Shade
05-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Firstly, Cliffy is an idiot. You should never put yourself in a position like this.

Secondly, the timing on this is suspect, whether you want to cry conspiracy or not.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 05:05 PM
OK, let me see how this works.

Stern and his boys are sitting around their offices a few days ago and they were looking at the potential conference finals. the consensus is reached the Nets must be stopped. But how. We've done the referree thing for years and years but it seems like the public is starting to catch on, what else could we do. One of Stern's minnions speaks up I know I know, we can drug test Uncle Cliffy, we know he won't pass. Sterm responds - yes, do it post haste, we must stop the Nets. The .2% ratings point is worth it.

The NBA is saved once agion

Since86
05-12-2006, 05:23 PM

Stern and his boys are sitting around their offices a few days ago and they were looking at the potential conference finals. the consensus is reached the Nets must be stopped. But how. We've done the referree thing for years and years but it seems like the public is starting to catch on, what else could we do. One of Stern's minnions speaks up I know I know, we can drug test Uncle Cliffy, we know he won't pass. Sterm responds - yes, do it post haste, we must stop the Nets. The .2% ratings point is worth it.

They could of just held on to a failed test from last March, and decided to release the findings now.

:twocents:

Shade
05-12-2006, 05:35 PM

The really hilarious thing is, I can actually picture all of that going on behind the scenes. :lmao:

Shade
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
They could of just held on to a failed test from last March, and decided to release the findings now.

QFT

Jermaniac
05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
How many times has he been suspended for smoking purp already?

Fool
05-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Definately. They've got all sorts of these kind of things on back stock for a number of players "just in case". They saw Shaq's team struggle and just reached into their file cabinet.

The fact that not doing so earlier screwed the Pacers only made it all the sweeter for Stern.

Kstat
05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
There was a rumor brought up by McCosky that the reason Cliff Robinson got traded was because Dumars thought he was a bad influence on Okur.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
It certainly is strange timing - and it's conveniently for the rest of the series (if it goes 7).

Shade
05-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Has any player been tested & suspended during the playoffs before?

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't know of a player being suspended like this during the playoffs, but this is not Cliff's first suspension for this.

It may be the first one in a few years, but Cliff's a repeat offender.

Moses
05-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't buy into the conspiracy theories. I think everyone over-rates Robinson..he's a mediocre player at best. I guess when you are playing against Shaq, all the big bodies you can throw at him and 6 fouls always help..but Nets fans make it seem as though Robinson was the one who picked up 4 instant offensive fouls when it was really the ugliest man in the NBA, Collins.

With that said, I still think NJ will win the series.

Robertmto
05-13-2006, 02:42 AM
The really hilarious thing is, I can actually picture all of that going on behind the scenes. :lmao:

U ain't the only one. Stern saw his billion dollar couple crumbling into a 998 milliomn dollar company and couldn't stand it.

Kegboy
05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I hereby retract any statement I may have made about getting him last summer.

:banghead:

grace
05-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I posted this on the Entertainment board, but was afraid not enough people would see it so I'm putting it here.

Forget all your conspiracy theories on why Cliff flunked his drug test. Obviously he's been listening to Cheech and & Chong too much.

Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones
Got a Basketball Jones, oh baby, oo-oo-ooo

Yes, I am the victim of a Basketball Jones
Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball
And I loved that basketball
I took that basketball with me everywhere I went
That basketball was like a basketball to me

I even put that basketball underneath my pillow
Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night
I need help, ladies and gentlemens
I need someone to stand beside me
I need, I need someone to set a pick for me at the free-throw line of life
Someone I can pass to
Someone to hit the open man on the give-and-go
And not end up in the popcorn machine
So cheerleaders, help me out

{cheerleaders sing repeatedly...}
(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones)
(I got a Basketball Jones, oh baby, oo-oo-ooo)

{while Tyrone Shoelaces sings/speaks...}
Oh, that sounds so sweet
Sing it out
C'mon Coach Booty, Red Blazer, sing along with me
That be bad, honky
Yeah
I want everybody in the whole stadium to stand up and sing with us
Oh yeah, sing it out like you're proud
All right, everybody watchin' coast-to-coast, sing along with us
Bill Russell, sing along with us
Chick Hearn, sing along with us
Chris Schenkel, don't sing nothin'

Oh, it feels so good
Gimme the ball
I'll go one-on-one against the world, left-handed
I could stuff it from center court with my toes
I could jump on top of the backboard, take off a quarter, leave fifteen cents change I
could, I could dribble behind my back I got more moves than Ex-Lax I'm bad I could
dribble with my tongue Here I go down court, try to stop me You can't stop me 'cause I
got a Basketball Jones Here I come That's my hook shot with my eyebrow Yeah, I could
dunk it with my nose I'm, I'm bad as King Kong, gimme the ball I'm hot, I'm hot as...,
I'm hot as..., I'm hot as... uh Uh, uh, uh, uh

(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, Basketball Jones)
(Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, I got a Basketball Jones, Basketball Jones)
{fade}

http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/b/basketball_jones_featuring_tyrone_shoelaces.txt

microwave_oven
05-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I hereby retract any statement I may have made about getting him last summer.

:banghead:

yes me too