PDA

View Full Version : QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

Will Galen
05-12-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

Friday, May 12, 2006

QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. (Danny) Granger played the three and four spots this year and did a pretty good job for a rookie. He also defended players like Kobe (Bryant), Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, and Paul Pierce, just to name a few. One analyst out here in Sacramento said that if this kid adds 10 to 15 pounds of muscle he could be a nightmare for other teams. I think if he adds the muscle it will improve his post-up game as well as make life much tougher on the guys he will defend next year. What do you think? (From Kirven in Sacramento, Calif.)

A. This answer hinges on how you view Granger's NBA future. If you believe he is best suited to play both forward spots, then it would seem reasonable for him to bulk up a bit in order to better contend with power forwards. My belief is he is better suited to shooting guard as a secondary position and not power forward.

At 6-9 and 228 pounds, Granger already has an ideal frame for a small forward. His primary physical attributes are quickness, athleticism and footwork. As you mentioned, he has defended shooting guards and small forwards with some effectiveness, showing potential to become a perimeter stopper as he learns the nuances of the game as well as the tendencies of his opponents. Offensively, he has the mid-range and 3-point shooting to blend with the abilities to either post up or drive. To my way of thinking, his skill set screams swingman.

He played semi-regularly as a power forward out of necessity his rookie season and struggled mightily against the bigger bodies. To add bulk could mean two things: it could slow him down, mitigating the advantages of his athleticism, as well as increasing the risk for injury because the extra load his legs must carry. I don't think it's a coincidence that Jermaine O'Neal's two injury-plagued seasons came after he bulked up from 250 to 265, and I'd expect to see him back at his former playing weight in 2006-07.

I understand your point, and do believe Granger should work to increase his strength but not his bulk. To do the latter would be an attempt to turn him into something he is not, and those types of experiments generally fail.
------------------

GREAT ANSWER!

Mourning
05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Conrad has it right.

Since86
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
He only has it right, when discusssing the impacts of of adding "bulk" through stereotypes.

Although it's not the specific path I'm wanting to take, in order to get my degree in Exercise Science I have to take numerous classes detailing what exactly weightlifting does, positives and negatives.

Adding "bulk" is stupid, and misdirected. Adding strength is what needs to be talked about, and it would only bring positives.

Weightlifting is so much more complicated than doing your certain lift 10reps of 3 sets. Adding 5lbs of lean muscle mass, while strength training, would do wonders.

Major Cold
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
look at the Piston players. Not exactly bulky (Ben wallace exclude). Tay is lean but strong enough to bang...

beast23
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I would agree that he should add strength, but that could be said for amost any athlete in any sport. Strength is always a good thing.

However, our team suffers from a shortage of decent perimeter defenders. So at this time, I think it would be unwise to risk any of Danny's perimeter quickness by instructing him to add weight. We need his ability to defend perimeter players much more than we need him to have added bulk in the paint.

RWB
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
He only has it right, when discusssing the impacts of of adding "bulk" through stereotypes.

Although it's not the specific path I'm wanting to take, in order to get my degree in Exercise Science I have to take numerous classes detailing what exactly weightlifting does, positives and negatives.

Adding "bulk" is stupid, and misdirected. Adding strength is what needs to be talked about, and it would only bring positives.

Weightlifting is so much more complicated than doing your certain lift 10reps of 3 sets. Adding 5lbs of lean muscle mass, while strength training, would do wonders.

Wow 86, didn't we just have a similar discussion a week ago? Makes you wonder who frequents these boards?

Since86
05-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes, it does.

But reading the article on JO, really makes me wonder about the teams Strength and Conditioning coach.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 03:35 PM
In all my years of watching basketball I've never thought any player should add bulk. Strength yes, bulk no. I'm a big believer in players playing at a certain weight that their bodies can handle and when they don't here come the injuries

Tim
05-12-2006, 04:17 PM
I think its too early to tell. He needs to be included in the offense, we need to see him get consistent touches with him facing the basket and in the post.

Right now the best I can tell is if you give Danny a set jumper he will bury it from almost anywhere.

If he can develop just 1/2 of Grant Hill's ability to slash to the basket (in his prime) we will have an automatic all star.

CableKC
05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
My belief is he is better suited to shooting guard as a secondary position and not power forward.

At 6-9 and 228 pounds, Granger already has an ideal frame for a small forward. His primary physical attributes are quickness, athleticism and footwork. As you mentioned, he has defended shooting guards and small forwards with some effectiveness, showing potential to become a perimeter stopper as he learns the nuances of the game as well as the tendencies of his opponents. Offensively, he has the mid-range and 3-point shooting to blend with the abilities to either post up or drive. To my way of thinking, his skill set screams swingman.

He played semi-regularly as a power forward out of necessity his rookie season and struggled mightily against the bigger bodies. To add bulk could mean two things: it could slow him down, mitigating the advantages of his athleticism, as well as increasing the risk for injury because the extra load his legs must carry.
I totally agree here. I would prefer it if he had to play another position...alongside the expected SF minutes....that it would be at the SG spot. If anything....he's our best perimter defender now...even if Freddie resigns....and worse...I don't want him to be pushed around and abused by bigger PFs/Cs inside the paint.

beast23
05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
In all my years of watching basketball I've never thought any player should add bulk. Strength yes, bulk no. I'm a big believer in players playing at a certain weight that their bodies can handle and when they don't here come the injuries
There are exceptions.

A few years ago, you might recall that Al Harrington had a serious back condition. In layman's terms, he was said to have a "narrow spine", which was explained to me to mean that, for a man his size, he just didn't have much supporting structure to his spine in his lower back.

He was advised that to continue to play basketball that he must strengthen his lower back, which is one of the hardest areas to target.

So Al worked out with a private strength and conditioning coach, but he also added bulk to his lower body to help his condition. That's when he went from about 235 to 250.

It must have helped, because with the exception of his knee injury, Al has been playing ever since.

Since86
05-12-2006, 04:44 PM
So Al worked out with a private strength and conditioning coach, but he also added bulk to his lower body to help his condition. That's when he went from about 235 to 250.

It must have helped, because with the exception of his knee injury, Al has been playing ever since.

Basketball player's, for some odd reason, do not train their lower bodies like other athletes.

They're legs are sticks, and I'd imagine their thighs and hamstrings are just
as small.

Developing a strong base will actually relieve joint pain, like knees (Bender was just too far gone for it too do any good IMHO), and also strengthen the surrounding tissue to help prevent injury.

People think any added muscle size/strength is a good thing, when in reality, it can really damage what you're trying to do.

Hell, if I did bicep curls all day and never trained my triceps, I could literally tear my tricep. It's the same with lower/upper portions. Players have to learn to balance what they're trying to do.

Shade
05-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Why don't we actually go out and acquire some "bangers" rather than expecting finesse players like Danny and JO to sacrifice their games and bodies to become something they're not?

owl
05-12-2006, 07:51 PM

Truth!!!! This is what Granger needs to do including JO.
Did no one learn from the Smits fiasco on the training staff????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

owl

SoupIsGood
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Why don't we actually go out and acquire some "bangers" rather than expecting finesse players like Danny and JO to sacrifice their games and bodies to become something they're not?

Someone print this post out and send it to Donnie....