PDA

View Full Version : Who is the last Pacer to be booed consistently at home?

brichard
05-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to think of the last Pacer player that was as unpopular as Stephen Jackson. Indiana crowds tend to be pretty calm, and I'm curious what other players come to mind.

Evan_The_Dude
05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Reggie in his rookie season?

microwave_oven
05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Detlef Schremph or however you spell his last name.

microwave_oven
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Well at least my dad booed him

Kaufman
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Rik Smits... Do you remember the early 90's? Any part of it?

Doug in CO
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Rik Smits... Do you remember the early 90's? Any part of it?

Ding ding ding

You beat me to it

Rik was vilified

pizza guy
05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
The closest thing I remember is when I first heard the crowd yell, "SMOOOOOOOOOTH," and I thought they were booing him until I learned the truth. Otherwise, no one that I can think of - I know SJax is my least favorite Pacer ever.

brichard
05-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Ding ding ding

You beat me to it

Rik was vilified

Wasn't he referred to as Reek Smits?

:)

RWB
05-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Previous to making the playoffs in the early 80s the entire team use to get booed.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Rik Smits and before that Herb Williams

PacerMan
05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Detlef Schremph or however you spell his last name.

Det was VERY popular. The Derrick McKey trade was roundly criticized because of how popular.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Det was never booed

Putnam
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I also remember Schrempf being very popular throughout his time here.

What about Scott Haskin? I know I booed him myself. He wasn't on the floor much, but I remember his reception wasn't warm for a #1 pick.

(Remember Larry Brown saying, "Haskin doesn't have any idea what he's doing out there. It's a wonder he doesn't swallow his tongue.")

Doug in CO
05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I also remember Schrempf being very popular throughout his time here.

What about Scott Haskin? I know I booed him myself. He wasn't on the floor much, but I remember his reception wasn't warm for a #1 pick.

(Remember Larry Brown saying, "Haskin doesn't have any idea what he's doing out there. It's a wonder he doesn't swallow his tongue.")

His career only lasted a week.

And I think that was a reaction to DW more than him.

Putnam
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
His career only lasted a week.

And I think that was a reaction to DW more than him.

Haskin's career stats:

1993-94 season

27 games
186 minutes
55 points
55 rebounds
15 blocks

Doug, your persistent use of "fustrated" is funny as heck. Keep it up!

Isaac
05-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I know I wanted to boo Jalen a couple of times, but I feel that booing your own team is a disgracful act.

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Probably Herb Williams. I don't really remember the fans at the arena booing Smits. And certainly not Detlef.

Herb would get it pretty loudly from the fans, yet the fans would give Clark a free pass. Hey, those guys combined to go 9-9 against the Big Ten. Of course they sucked together in the pros; they probably deserved an equal amount of scorn.

Peck
05-12-2006, 12:15 PM
There were a smattering of boo's for some of Riks plays & Herb would get it on occasion.

But to my knowledge, & remember I've been going to the games since 1985, no Pacer has ever recieved the reception that Jackson has.

Rik Smits was never booed during introductions to the best of my memory & neither was Herb Williams.

Now when they played poorly they would hear it but that was it.

Jackson get's booed during the intro's. If it wasn't for music & all the other nonsense that they do during that time you would hear it on tv. At the Dallas game this year people started booing him when he would touch the ball.

RWB
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Probably Herb Williams.

Bringing up Herb reminds me on one thing I did like about him. He may have been the last PAcer who would consistently use the glass on his shots.

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Bringing up Herb reminds me on one thing I did like about him. He may have been the last PAcer who would consistently use the glass on his shots.

Of course, he wasn't always trying to.

:brick:

Even Travis Bust wasn't boo'ed. The fans would certainly groan when he'd start to dribble, but he wasn't boo'ed.

I've been told that he escaped the boo-birds because he was "cute."

:shrug:

beast23
05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Jalen was booed, but never "consistently". He was booed in a handful of games when he absolutely wouldn't get back on defense when he continually yapped at the referees.

PacerMan
05-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Probably Herb Williams. I don't really remember the fans at the arena booing Smits. And certainly not Detlef.

Herb would get it pretty loudly from the fans, yet the fans would give Clark a free pass. Hey, those guys combined to go 9-9 against the Big Ten. Of course they sucked together in the pros; they probably deserved an equal amount of scorn.

What do you mean they sucked together? Herb was a very solid defender/shot blocker for a whole bunch of years. Decent jumper at times.
Clark would have been a perennial all stars but for his knees. Real shame there.
20/10 guy.
Those teams weren't that far away either when Clark had to quit.

Evan_The_Dude
05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Haskin's career stats:

1993-94 season

27 games
186 minutes
55 points
55 rebounds
15 blocks

Doug, your persistent use of "fustrated" is funny as heck. Keep it up!

And his stats were still better than Benders 7th year stats!

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
What do you mean they sucked together? Herb was a very solid defender/shot blocker for a whole bunch of years. Decent jumper at times.
Clark would have been a perennial all stars but for his knees. Real shame there.
20/10 guy.
Those teams weren't that far away either when Clark had to quit.

The result was never more than 26-wins against NBA competition or 9-wins against the Big Ten.

Stat stuffing losers.

I don't believe the 1986-87 team would've made the playoffs if Clark stayed healthy and Chuck didn't become the team's focal point as a rookie.

How many other rookies led their perennial lottery-bound team to the playoffs in their first season? (Okay, Chuck may have peaked as a rookie or shortly thereafter, but one can not overstate his impact on the Pacers transition for lottery to respectable.)

Hicks
05-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Why was it Clark's fault they lost? Is it JO's fault every time the Pacers lose today?

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 10:23 PM
If JO and his high school buddy combined to play 0.500 against high school competition and the Pacers picked up both of them and were only winning twenty games per season with them, then I'd certainly give JO his share of the blame.

There's never been enough evidence to say that Herb or Clark should bear the blame but not the other. As a tandem, they were average at best in college and horrible as pros. Just because Clark's a great announcer and by all accounts a great citizen and a fine human being, why is Herb the villian and Clark revered?

The real blame is pre-DW management that thought that a 9-9 vs. the Big Ten frontcourt might be good enough to defeat NBA competition. Don't forget, we also drafted Granville Waiters from that team. The early-80s Pacers' infatuation with Ohio State bums was maddening.

The only evidence to point to is that when Clark got hurt, and Chuck was a rookie, the team went from twenty-something wins and the NBA laughingstock to a playoff team. Keep in mind that during the early-to-mid 80s that our twenty-win seasons resulted in the worst record in the league twice and the worst 4-year cumulative record. We're not talking about "damnit, we're playing crappy 0.500 ball here." It four and eight game losing streaks for four straight seasons. Then Chuck replaced Clark and Jack Ramsay replaced George Irvine (both were major, major upgrades) and *viola* playoffs.

beast23
05-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Jay -

I think there was a lot more going on with that 86/87 team than what you've stated.

Fist of all, Clark was injured the prior season, playing less than 20 games. In 86/87, he played a few games and realized his playing days were over... which is what the Pacers had actually expected... and to some extent planned for. Person was a rookie that year and averaged about the same number of points and rebounds that Clark did before his injury.

But the Pacers also acquired John Long, who provided over 15 points per game.

From 82/83 thru 85/86, Herb and Clark were the primary forces on the team. We also picked up Stipo and Vern. Most would probably say that had Clark and Stipo remained healthy, that the Pacers would have started lifting themselves out of mediocrity even before Reggie's arrival.

I recall that Clark was a much more popular player than Herb, but I think that had a lot to do with their personalities on the court. Herb was the one with the scowl on his face all the time, who carried himself with a chip on his shoulder. I think the fans wanted Herb to be more than he was, because at that time the league had a number of dominant centers... and the fans were just disappointed that Herb wasn't one himself.

As for Clark, he just made things look easy. He had fluid motion, a good stroke and was one hell of a rebounder for a 6-7 player.

I think it's strange that we ended up with Clark, Herb and Granny from OSU who did only play .500 ball in the Big 10 (was it coaching or was it the players?), but I would never state that Clark and Herb "sucked" as pros.

As you probably recall, Herb had one of the lengthier careers in the history of the NBA. I hardly think that he could have stuck around and contributed at the level he did if he "sucked".

And Clark? Most thought he would have been a perreniel All-Star had his career not been cut short.

Peck
05-13-2006, 02:52 AM
And his stats were still better than Benders 7th year stats!

Ouch...

RWB
05-15-2006, 07:23 AM
The other thing I liked about Herb was he and his wife actually took the time to talk with Mrs. RWB about the pitfalls of wearing braces. Yes, the big man had a shiney mouth of metal at the time. :D :D :D

himikey
05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I booed Coach Isiah. Does that count?