PDA

View Full Version : Nazr Mohammed for Jeff Foster??

diamonddave00
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Watching Larry Bird's news conference , I noticed he named 2 free agents as top of this years crop Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed. Was this who Larry would like to bring in??

Lets see Jermaine says I want to lose weight play power forward almost exclusively , the Pacers need a shot blocking more offensive minded big guy. Then Larry mentions Mohammed -coincidence??

Jeff Foster is a San Antonio native works out with Spurs players every summer and is friends with Tim Duncan. Mohammed though no great offensive player fits the shot blocker and inside defender here. Could be Larry and Donnie are giving such a trade thiought. Spurs resign Mohammed and he comes here for Foster and perhaps the rights to Lorbek. Just a thought.

Yes, I know most Pacer fans are cringing at the thought of dealing the feisty one, but you never know.

Shade
05-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmm...I'd really have to think about that one.

rexnom
05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Hmm...I'd really have to think about that one.
Ditto...

grace
05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
As much as I like Jeff the truth is he's hurt a lot. His hips are always going to be in issue and they lead to problems with his feet. And then there's his back. If we can get a quality player for him I'm all for it.

CompACE
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
At least if we got Al back on the team, he would sell some tickets. + I don't think the fans would like it very much if the team got slower (by picking up nazr that is). At least foster can move up and down the court.

Anthem
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Works for me.

I don't see Al coming back... we already have 2 SFs and Al's not coming back to be Jermaine's backup.

diamonddave00
05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't see Harrington coming back here but Ithink Larry would like to bring him back. Personally I think Stojakovic will be resigned longterm.

Mohammed for Foster , in my opinion could be realistic , both will be 29 next season. When Larry mentioned his name either intentionally or by accident it made me think. Just seems like a logically move with Foster returning home to San Antonio.

Mohammed may or may not ever really be a big contributor but he's a more natural post defender and buys time for Harrison's development and adds a shot blocker.

Doug in CO
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Bye bye Mr. career high 19 points

So long Mr. layup clanker

Hoipefully your next team has as good a health insurance policy as the Pacers

Mourning
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Bye bye Mr. career high 19 points

So long Mr. layup clanker

Hoipefully your next team has as good a health insurance policy as the Pacers

I think I am in favour of the trade, but I want to keep FARRRRRRRRRR away from negative comments like the one above, because Jeff doesn't deserve that sort of treatment in my personal opinion.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

RWB
05-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Jeff Foster is a San Antonio native works out with Spurs players every summer and is friends with Tim Duncan.

DD00, I just don't see this as enough for the Spurs to go for it. Przybilla's name has been mentioned as a replacement there.

Like other PD members I like Jeff, but don't kid yourself into thinking that many people are worried he could go.

blanket
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
DD00, I just don't see this as enough for the Spurs to go for it. Przybilla's name has been mentioned as a replacement there.

That may be, but Mohammed is an unrestricted FA, so we could still use our MLE to sign him outright if we can't find a S&T deal that would whet SA's appetite.

Of course, for that matter, Mohammed might not even want to come here, and he'll have his choice of multiple suitors I suspect.

CableKC
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
My preference is to keep him cuz I feel that he fits a certain role that we lack....a garbage player that simply rebounds. I wish he could score consistently ( and does get upset when he misses a simple layup ) and could block shots....but that's not what he is built for....and therefore not what I expect from him.

I guess I look at Foster for what he is....a roleplayer that rebounds and is an acceptable backup Big Man that is limited on the offensive end that is starting to break down.

I may not be happy with moving Foster....but if its for Nazr...I won't complain as much. But given JONeal's inability to really stay healthy...I still think we will still need more depth at the PF/C spot beyond Nazr, Harrison and a ( hopefully ) resigned Pollard.

Doug in CO
05-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I think I am in favour of the trade, but I want to keep FARRRRRRRRRR away from negative comments like the one above, because Jeff doesn't deserve that sort of treatment in my personal opinion.

Regards,

What is he - your brother?

The man is getting paid a nice salary and has yet to develop one offensive move

CLANK

Toughen up Mourning - take a joke

Moses
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Jeff has to develop a shot. The reason I don't really like him as a starter is because he can't block shots. He's a great man to man defender when the guys are his size and a very good rebounder..But we need more from our 5 spot.

Since86
05-11-2006, 01:51 PM
As much as I like Jeff the truth is he's hurt a lot. His hips are always going to be in issue and they lead to problems with his feet. And then there's his back. If we can get a quality player for him I'm all for it.

Are you no longer a card carrying Bulls fan?:confused:

RWB
05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
My preference is to keep him cuz I feel that he fits a certain role that we lack....a garbage player that simply rebounds.

KC, Jeff does a fine job of that and if the Ps would quit trying to make Jeff the starting Center I think most here would be happy. His salary is not terrible nor a bargain, but pretty close to fair.

One knock as others have pointed out is Jeff needs to improve and he hasn't really shown that. Hustle players like Jeff or a Brian Cardinal are appreciated and deserve praise for doing dirty work, but they are no different than anyone else when you expect them to do more when they receive those pay raises each year.

ajbry
05-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I like Jeff, but I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Eindar
05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Where do the Pacers sign?

I've been wanting to get Nazr for a few years now, he's just a solid all-around Center. Blocks some shots, gets some boards, and can score from within 5-8'.

Jeff is very good at his job, but his job is best reserved for the 2nd unit as a PF. That way, you can let your instant offense guys jack up shots, knowing there's a good chance Foster will get the board.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM

Regards,

What sort of treatment does he deserve?

I thought he should've been called a Nancy-boy.

Lord Helmet
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Regards,

Yep, Jeff's game isn't hitting outside shots, it's fighting for every board, and he does just that.

Jumper
05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Nazr would compliment JO and keep him from banging. Exactly what we need. Jeff is a SF who is playing C, let SA have his hustle.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Keep in mind that Nazr isn't a true NBA center either.

CableKC
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
KC, Jeff does a fine job of that and if the Ps would quit trying to make Jeff the starting Center I think most here would be happy. His salary is not terrible nor a bargain, but pretty close to fair.

One knock as others have pointed out is Jeff needs to improve and he hasn't really shown that. Hustle players like Jeff or a Brian Cardinal are appreciated and deserve praise for doing dirty work, but they are no different than anyone else when you expect them to do more when they receive those pay raises each year.
I can see your point......I just look at him for what he is best suited for....being a Backup C....maybe even a PF that is being shoe-horned into the starting Center spot cuz there isn't anyone better.

I wish he could show some offensive talent...and even wish that he could block shots.....but I've come to accept that he probably won't do any of those things.....except for pull down rebounds. Considering the price tag of Big Men these days.......I still would want him over 1/2 the Starting Centers in the league.

I'm even thinking that we should simply make him the Backup PF and have him play alongside Harrison in the Backup C spot this season...that way...we can at least have a guy that can rebound and another that can utilize his untapped offensive skills.

If anything....its more Managements fault for not recognizing his limitations and starting him instead of spending the $$$ to acquire a Big Man that will do what they want on the offensive end instead of hoping that Foster become something that he clearly isn't capable of becoming.

tdubb03
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM

How's he not? He's 6'10/250 give or take and if my memory's correct he's been a center at every level he's played.

CableKC
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Nazr would compliment JO and keep him from banging. Exactly what we need. Jeff is a SF who is playing C, let SA have his hustle.
You mean PF who is playing C right?

SycamoreKen
05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Why would San Antonio make that trade? Their track record is not one of making deals that don't help the team, and I really don't think Jeff fills a need.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 05:36 PM
You mean PF who is playing C right?

Nazr's a "banger" isn't he? Isn't he more physical than anybody on our team except maybe Harrison?

I'm very confused by the comments in here. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to him lately.

tdubb03
05-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Mohammed's a free agent guys. There's no trade needed. I'd say he'll be back in SA, but even if he's not I don't see why he'd come here. Somewhere else will overpay him to underperform.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I thought we were discussing a S&T possibility. I'm utterly confused by this thread.

tdubb03
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I'd like us to go after Przybilla and James Posey (if he opts out). But that's a different thread.

SycamoreKen
05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Mohammed's a free agent guys. There's no trade needed. I'd say he'll be back in SA, but even if he's not I don't see why he'd come here. Somewhere else will overpay him to underperform.

That may be the reason he doesn't come back to SA. They won't over pay him, but they may be able to get something for him in a sign and trade.

I still wonder why the Knicks made that deal.

Oh yea, IT.

Jermaniac
05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Lets do the trade RIGHT NOW

GO!!!!!
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
how much are we going to pay him then if SA won't overpay him

what 5-6 mill for five years ? 7-8 for five years...

what what what people

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
How's he not? He's 6'10/250 give or take and if my memory's correct he's been a center at every level he's played.

He's a converted PF. Always has been in the NBA.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I still wonder why the Knicks made that deal.

Oh yea, IT.

That and 2 1st rd draft picks.

GO!!!!!
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Malik Rose and two late first rounders... well there are worse things in life...

i suppose it all depends if they resign Malik to a huge extension when his contract is up soon

SycamoreKen
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Rose still has 2 years left at 6-7 million dollars a year. I know the 2 later first rounders might pan out, but wouldn't the salary help have been better?

tdubb03
05-11-2006, 08:02 PM
He's a converted PF. Always has been in the NBA.

How can he be converted when he played C at Kentucky? He's a full-fledged center.

pizza guy
05-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I would do a S&T for Nazr in a heartbeat. He's an actual C, and Jeff's not. Jeff is a backup PF that can rebound and guard. He's a good guy, a hard-worker, and a fiesty rebounder -- but he's not the starting C that we need. Neither is Pollard because his health is too unreliable, and he's mostly the same as Foster, just bigger and with a slightly better shot. Pollard can get there, but he's not yet.

I'd be 100% in favor of brining in Nazr to start at C, and help Hulk develope his defense. I'd just ask SA what they wanted, limiting them from JO and DG and Hulk. The rest would be theirs for the choosing to get us Nazr.

Jermaniac
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
He's a converted PF. Always has been in the NBA.12 points and 8 boards with the Knicks last year I beleive, I will take that any day from a center, I dont care what he got converted from.

Moses
05-11-2006, 09:01 PM
The thing I like about Mohammed is that he's a shotblocking presence and he has a few decent post moves. He is a consistent guy who will occasionally drop 20 and 20 on you. What this team needs is CONSISTENCY in scoring from the C position. None of our current centers give us this. On top of that, none of our centers are shot blockers which is becoming vital in todays NBA with how many guards get to the rim at will.

Pacerized
05-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Please, let me be the first one to say NO WAY.
I don't see him as a better defender, just because he's a better shot blocker. He's not as a good of a rebounder, and doesn't add any bulk for the post.
I'd much rather have Foster. Our center position is not the area we need to address.

Hicks
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
If he's good enough to start at C for the champs, he's good enough to start at C for the Pacers IMO.

OTD
05-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Boy am I glad that people in this chat room have nothing to say about running the Pacers When Jeff is hurt you gripe because no rebounds, But when he is heathly no says anything about the best rebounder on the team. He is one of few who lay it on the line every game, and people in here do not want to give him credit where credit is due.

Jermaniac
05-11-2006, 10:01 PM
I give him credit, he could be a very good back up center. A starting center he is not.

Young
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I think that we need another center in here, someone who can start but I am hoping to keep Jeff. I sure as hell don't see Narz as being any better than him. They both give you a little bit different strengths but both are pretty equal talents. I like Jeff's rebounding though so I say keep him instead of trading him for Narz.

pizza guy
05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
After doing a little research, let me reconsider my initial feelings.

I would have to think about this a little harder. I guess I didn't realize that Nazr is the same size as Foster, I had assumed he was bigger. I fully believe that Jeff is better suited to be a backup 4 because of his size. But, seeing as how Nazr is the same size, it makes me reconsider. The difference between them is shot-blocking, and a couple points. Another difference I noticed is turnovers. I looked at career averages, so please correct me if anything has changed recently. Nazr averages just over 1 TO/gm and Jeff around .6 TO/gm. Of course, Jeff missing a layup is just as bad, if not worse than a TO, so, i's a push there, too.

I think I'd probably still do the deal because I think Nazr plays bigger. Must be a difference in the way they're built or maybe it's just the shot blocking, but Nazr seems to play bigger. Interesting, for sure.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
The thing I like about Mohammed is that he's a shotblocking presence

He is? Since when?

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Rose still has 2 years left at 6-7 million dollars a year. I know the 2 later first rounders might pan out, but wouldn't the salary help have been better?

The salary cap train done left the station, never to return. I've finally come to realize that so long as James Dolan owns the team, we will never be below - or even close to - the salary cap.

After trading 2 expiring contracts at this trade deadline for two players making 27 million and of no help to us whatsoever, Malik Rose is nothing - compared to the rest of our team he's underpaid. If we waived him and paid him what he's making for doing nothing it might actually balance out - except he wouldn't be helping us lose.

Downtown Threat
05-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Nazr is hardly a shot blocker but I do agree that he would be a good get to play next to Jermaine.

SycamoreKen
05-12-2006, 07:15 AM
The salary cap train done left the station, never to return. I've finally come to realize that so long as James Dolan owns the team, we will never be below - or even close to - the salary cap.

After trading 2 expiring contracts at this trade deadline for two players making 27 million and of no help to us whatsoever, Malik Rose is nothing - compared to the rest of our team he's underpaid. If we waived him and paid him what he's making for doing nothing it might actually balance out - except he wouldn't be helping us lose.

I understand that. At the time the trade made less since in comparison to what happened later.

Pacerized
05-12-2006, 09:03 AM
I've been a Pacers fan since I can remember, and every year fans want to add a center. Nazr is not an upgrade over Jeff. Last year it was Maglore, before that Dampier. Even when we had Smits, and both Davis's people wanted to add more bulk at the center spot. We have a very good center rotation, when they're healthy. We need to look at our 2 guard positions, and overall chemistry first.

ChicagoJ
05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I think I'd probably still do the deal because I think Nazr plays bigger. Must be a difference in the way they're built or maybe it's just the shot blocking, but Nazr seems to play bigger. Interesting, for sure.

Size doesn't really matter here.

Nazr got better strenghth through his core (thighs, butt, hips) and does a better job of holding his ground and banging in the paint than Jeff - who relies exclusively on individual quickness to get rebounds.

Jeff doesn't block out much more than JO. His thing is that he's ultra-quick to the ball. Now, when Jeff recognizes that he's not going to be able to get to the ball he does put a body on someone else, so good for him.

But Jeff's about the least-physical NBA PF/C I've ever seen. We all joked that Rik was a 7'4" SF, and if Jeff had any offensive game at all we'd see him at SF, too.

Unclebuck
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Just because I haven't posted in this thread doesn't mean I haven't read it nor does it mean that agree with any of it.

But carry on

Mourning
05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Just because I haven't posted in this thread doesn't mean I haven't read it nor does it mean that agree with any of it.

But carry on

:uhoh: :shudder:

Young
05-13-2006, 12:34 AM
For everyone who says he is a shot blocker take a look:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nazr_mohammed/index.html

He is averaging .60 blocks for his career. His best season was 04-05 where he avearged 9 points and 7 rebounds. Narz is 6'10 and 250 pounds while Jeff is 6'11 250 pounds.

Not only is Narz and Jeff pretty equal but we probably couldn't afford Narz. The Spurs fans on realgm have a thread discussing the off-season and they are saying that Narz will command big bucks. Of course this don't mean he will, but that is what they are saying.

Unclebuck
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Anyone watching Nazr in this series.

No thanks

He stinks

Jermaniac
05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Says the man who wanted to trade Ron for Jerome James or Adonal Foyle.

Dude remember last year when the beast of a center Jerome James had that amazing series against the Kings? Wow what a center really going to be a force in the NBA.

Judging players on 3 games is FAAAAAAAAANTASTIC.

Trader Joe
05-13-2006, 11:01 PM

And what exactly is a true NBA center now a days? There are not many Shaq's wandering around. PLaying center in the NBA now is more about attitude than anything else if you ask me.
As far as unrestricted FA centers if I had my choice I would probably like Przybilla as the first option and Nazr as a close second.

pizza guy
05-13-2006, 11:24 PM
For everyone who says he is a shot blocker take a look:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nazr_mohammed/index.html

He is averaging .60 blocks for his career. His best season was 04-05 where he avearged 9 points and 7 rebounds. Narz is 6'10 and 250 pounds while Jeff is 6'11 250 pounds.
Not only is Narz and Jeff pretty equal but we probably couldn't afford Narz. The Spurs fans on realgm have a thread discussing the off-season and they are saying that Narz will command big bucks. Of course this don't mean he will, but that is what they are saying.

Size doesn't really matter here.

Nazr got better strenghth through his core (thighs, butt, hips) and does a better job of holding his ground and banging in the paint than Jeff - who relies exclusively on individual quickness to get rebounds.

Jeff doesn't block out much more than JO. His thing is that he's ultra-quick to the ball. Now, when Jeff recognizes that he's not going to be able to get to the ball he does put a body on someone else, so good for him.

But Jeff's about the least-physical NBA PF/C I've ever seen. We all joked that Rik was a 7'4" SF, and if Jeff had any offensive game at all we'd see him at SF, too.

It's a difference in the way they play, not just their bodies, that matters. I think Jay explained my point in a little more detail, but I was saying the same thing. Nazr may be the same size as Jeff, but, he plays bigger. It's like some NFL players "play bigger" than their size (i.e. Bob Sanders, Jon Vilma, Zack Thomas). Nazr is more of a disruptive C, whereas Jeff is a quicker C. There certainly are pros and cons to each, but the opinion of many is that JO would be more successful if he had a C of Nazr's type rather than of Jeff's.

Jermaniac
05-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Anyone watching Nazr in this series.

No thanks

He stinks Ohh and after watching Jeff Foster in the Nets series, what do you think about him. Since we are judging players on series.

pizza guy
05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Wait, Jeff played in the NJ series?

oh yeah, I remember he missed that wide-open shot from about 10 feet -- how could I forget???

grego
05-13-2006, 11:50 PM
BTW, Nazr is an RFA at the end of the season, so there doesn't necessairly need to be trade, but he will have to get some money, because he's tall and tall gets overpaid.

And Spurs will not offer him anything big.

Young
05-14-2006, 09:19 PM
It's a difference in the way they play, not just their bodies, that matters. I think Jay explained my point in a little more detail, but I was saying the same thing. Nazr may be the same size as Jeff, but, he plays bigger. It's like some NFL players "play bigger" than their size (i.e. Bob Sanders, Jon Vilma, Zack Thomas). Nazr is more of a disruptive C, whereas Jeff is a quicker C. There certainly are pros and cons to each, but the opinion of many is that JO would be more successful if he had a C of Nazr's type rather than of Jeff's.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21261

Based on UB's post here, which I don't think anyone can argue to much with, don't you want a quicker center on this team like Jeff instead of Narz?

Anthem
05-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Based on UB's post here, which I don't think anyone can argue to much with, don't you want a quicker center on this team like Jeff instead of Narz?
If we massively upgraded our backcourt, we could get by with Jeff at center.

But Nazr is an upgrade over Jeff. So if we could trade, why wouldn't we?

ChicagoJ
05-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Does anybody really believe Jeff is 250? When did his listed weight change? I thought he was still 220 - 230 pounds.

If he's really up to 250, then no wonder he's having all those hip and back problems. That's way too much weight for his slender body to carry.

Anthem
05-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Does anybody really believe Jeff is 250? When did his listed weight change? I thought he was still 220 - 230 pounds.

If he's really up to 250, then no wonder he's having all those hip and back problems. That's way too much weight for his slender body to carry.
Wondered the same thing.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2006, 10:16 PM
For that matter, he certainly doesn't look like he's up to 250.

Unclebuck
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes but Nazr stinks, I mean he really is not very good. His hands are horrible, he's slow. I don't think he'll help any

Jay Ohh
05-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd do it. Jeff is great for hustle, but he's undersized and has back problems. You're crazy if you think they won't continue with the way he plays. JO needs a strong big guy who can rebound and take pressure off of him finishing strong at the rim.

Nazr could be that guy. Maybe Lorenzen Wright. Either way, Jeff is more of a power forwards size, and actually picks up a crapload of fouls because of it. Pollard has the same problem, but it's more because he can't jump worth ****. Give JO a tall, strong center and he should have an easier time.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Pass...

You guys would be just as frustrated with Nazr as Jeff. He is great for the Spurs because they have one of the greatest players in history next to him. Jeff would go nuts over there.

Nazr's not as good as many of you are saying IMO.

He's a decent player but doesn't really help us out a whole lot.