PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird met with the media yesterday (Wednesday)

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Mike Wells was just on Kevin Lee's show and said that Bird is meeting with the media Wednesday. Wells indicated it was just the normal post season meet with the media.

Wells reiterated a point I've been making since Ron was traded. If he was such a problem why didn't the team pull out of it when Ron was finally traded for good.

Wells expects Peja to re-sign here.

He said that J.O is not respected as the leader

As most of you know Mike Wells was the beat writer for the T-Wolves for a number of years. KG won't be traded unless he asks to be. But Wells indicated that if KG were to be traded to the Pacers he would immediately be the team leader, and that he's a great leader. He mentioned some comments from Fred Hoilberg about how a good a leader KG is.

Wells said this team's chemistry was never right all season long and he could see it from the first preseason game.

There wasn't any discussion about Rick Carlisle during the interview

GO!!!!!
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Can we get a couple Pacer Digest Reporters in the area so someone can tape some of the stuff for our our of state friends that won't have any/much coverage of the meeting

Will Galen
05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Anybody want to guess what Bird says tomorrow?

GO!!!!!
05-09-2006, 11:15 PM
where is that cartoon.... it's at home.. the one one where it says about firing Zeke to rehire Bird's ol Buddie Rick and he just goes... like Duhhhhh, great cartoon....

It's not we are trading Jermaine and Stef, it's Rick is staying and he's our coach and it's been a dissapointing year and we'll make some minor tweaks and listen to any offers...

Lord Helmet
05-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I doubt much gets said. Other than, "We had problems, and we're heading into this off-season to try to fix them."

grace
05-09-2006, 11:55 PM

"I'm rebuilding around Saras."

flying dutchman
05-10-2006, 02:35 AM
"Tinsley is my man!"

Seed
05-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Wells reiterated a point I've been making since Ron was traded. If he was such a problem why didn't the team pull out of it when Ron was finally traded for good.
Injuries.

rexnom
05-10-2006, 03:21 AM
He's going to say absolutely nothing.

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 06:10 AM
"we're all very disappointed by how this year turned out, we went into the season expecting great things and it didn't turn out that way, so yeah, we're very disappointed." I've talked with all the guys except Tinsley, who had somewhere else he had to be, and I think we've got a pretty good indication where we all have to be and what needs to be done in the off season to get there.
Donnie and I, along with Coach Carlisle, will be working hard as the draft nears to get us in the best position to make sure we have a successful year. Another year like the last two just is not accpetable, we will work hard to find the best people for this franchise. Well, we really aren't in a position to be active in the Free agent market and don't really believe that is the way to build a franchise anyway."

Oh, and I will be actively seeking a short fat guy to replace Don Marsh in my commercials. I've heard some guy named Indygeezer is available and will be contacting him yet today.

J_2_Da_IzzO
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM

As most of you know Mike Wells was the beat writer for the T-Wolves for a number of years. KG won't be traded unless he asks to be. But Wells indicated that if KG were to be traded to the Pacers he would immediately be the team leader, and that he's a great leader. He mentioned some comments from Fred Hoilberg about how a good a leader KG is.

It isnt JO's fault that hes not respected as the leader. I would much rather see him having a go at people but I remember when he had a go at Jackson and Jackson swung for him.

The problem with this team is Jackson. His bad attitude and stupid decisions hurt the team. I would also go as far to say he doest listen to Jermaine at all and Rick still plays him every game so other players see that they dont have to respect Jermaine to play. I dont see any other players who would have problems listening and respecting JO apart from Jax.

And for the KG being a good leader part. Fred Hoiberg can say what he wants but KG is not a good leader. The same team that he brought to the WCF he couldnt even make the playoffs with a year later. Cassell has changed the Clippers into a playoff team with Brand. And I have mentioned KG snatching a rebound away from Olowankandi and shouting something along the lines of "let the ****ing ball go." Olo' let the ball go and KG passed it straight to Cassell so the only thing that done for him was a rebound to his stats. I might have understood it if he took the ball up the court himself but he didnt.

owl
05-10-2006, 07:10 AM
It's not we are trading Jermaine and Stef, it's Rick is staying and he's our coach and it's been a dissapointing year and we'll make some minor tweaks and listen to any offers...

He may not say this but this is what most likely will happen.

owl

D-BONE
05-10-2006, 07:39 AM
It isnt JO's fault that hes not respected as the leader. I would much rather see him having a go at people but I remember when he had a go at Jackson and Jackson swung for him.

The problem with this team is Jackson. His bad attitude and stupid decisions hurt the team. I would also go as far to say he doest listen to Jermaine at all and Rick still plays him every game so other players see that they dont have to respect Jermaine to play. I dont see any other players who would have problems listening and respecting JO apart from Jax.

What's this about the JO-Jack incident? I don't recall it? On court or in the locker room? This season or last?

Well, I do think your points on Jack and RC are on target. I think we'd be better with both gone. Hopefully with reasonably decent replacements, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

OTOH, I also find a bit of JO apologist sentiment in here. A typical lay blame somewhere else so as to absolve JO from any involvement in the team's problems whatsoever.

Not unsimilar to his post-Nets series comment about needing a good big guy. Sounds like passing the buck to me. IOW, I'm not responsible for my performance b/c I need more talent around me.

Now, that's not totally untrue, but it just sounds egotistical and selfish from the so-called respected team leader as opposed to we just did not play well enough as a group, myself included.

And yes I realize the press was probably baiting him, but JO's never been able to totally overcome his lack of acumen in that area either.

I'm sure Jack's departure would immediately help team unity to a degree, but to assume JO's role as nil in the deteriorating chemistry all season seems like a simplification and, frankly, dangerous.

Here's a thought. How would JO handle a situation in which the addition of a player that by performance, experience, or other means garnered the respect of the team such that said player essentially assumed the leadership role?

In addition, how would he react to a player who's performance and skills displaced him from the designation as the teams best player?

I don't know if we can expect to bring in somebody of the calibur from either of the two above scenarios. However, I think that's what it would take for the general current team blueprint to truly succeed. JO as a secondary figure, albeit an excellent one.

btowncolt
05-10-2006, 07:56 AM
"Both teams played hard"

PacerMan
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Mike Wells was just on Kevin Lee's show and said that Bird is meeting with the media Wednesday. Wells indicated it was just the normal post season meet with the media.

Wells expects Peja to re-sign here.

Wells said this team's chemistry was never right all season long and he could see it from the first preseason game.

There wasn't any discussion about Rick Carlisle during the interview

The DID pull out of it after. How quickly you forget the nice span of "TEAM ball" offense. Then we got Peja and played well after that for a time. Then the injuries piled up. Not that I'm saying he was the WHOLE problem. Just as I assume you aren't trying to say that Ron wasn't ANY part of the problem.

MagicRat
05-10-2006, 09:11 AM

"I told them they had packed it in. They wasn't into it. Guys wasn't movin'. They wasn't settin' picks. They was acting like they was into it, but they was giving fake hustle. That happens in this league. It happens too much."

(OK, so he really did actually say that back when he was the coach, but I like it so much I thought I'd throw it in here.)

Indyfan
05-10-2006, 09:44 AM
can we hear this live anywhere? MR if there is a radio broadcast of it, can you post for us out of towners?

Bird usually says what he thinks, and doesn't beat around too many bushes....so maybe he will say something of real interest. Then again, maybe it will just be the same old line for the fans. They know they need to win back the fans after 2 very difficult years.

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
can we hear this live anywhere? MR if there is a radio broadcast of it, can you post for us out of towners?

Bird usually says what he thinks, and doesn't beat around too many bushes....so maybe he will say something of real interest. Then again, maybe it will just be the same old line for the fans. They know they need to win back the fans after 2 very difficult years.

During the early morning news today WTHR-TV Channel 13 said they were going to live stream this on their web this evening.

Indyfan
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Geezer. Did they give a time for it? I have a party to go to tonight at 5, don't they usually leave this kind of thing up on the site for a while afterwards?

MagicRat
05-10-2006, 09:59 AM

If somebody finds out when and where it's on, I'll try to catch it.....

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Pacers.com often has the transcript of these types of things

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Geezer. Did they give a time for it? I have a party to go to tonight at 5, don't they usually leave this kind of thing up on the site for a while afterwards?

Well TV-13 said the PC was at 5 and that Channel 13 would live stream it, so I assume that would be at 5 also.;)

Wayne Jarvis
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet Larry will give us vague double-speak about making changes to put us in position to challenge for a championship. Then, little (sadly) will happen...

Oh, and I will be actively seeking a short fat guy to replace Don Marsh in my commercials. I've heard some guy named Indygeezer is available and will be contacting him yet today.
As another (reluctant to admit) oldster, Don Marsh always makes me think of that old comic Frank Fontaine. :-o

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
What if he walks out and says that Rick is being fired because his offense is so boring

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 11:39 AM
I hope he's announcing his resignation.

But I know that's just wishful thinking. We all know Bird's part of the solution, not part of the problem. Yeah, right.

Hicks
05-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm sure your ancient hatred of the man has nothing to do with asking for his resignation.....

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet Larry will give us vague double-speak about making changes to put us in position to challenge for a championship. Then, little (sadly) will happen...

As another (reluctant to admit) oldster, Don Marsh always makes me think of that old comic Frank Fontaine. :-o

DANG! You ARE old!

(Try this, what was the name of the drunk Jackie Gleason played on his variety show?)

Iceman1
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
The Bird press conference is on www.wthr.com now.

Wayne Jarvis
05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
DANG! You ARE old!

(Try this, what was the name of the drunk Jackie Gleason played on his variety show?)
Other than himself ? - I don't remember that - I was a kid then. Just the opening - flying in towards the beach and "From Miami Beach, Florida it's the Jackie Gleason show..." [cue: Melancholy Serenade]. Still, for some reason Don Marsh just say's "Happy Gugenheim".

-Sorry for going OT....

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 12:30 PM
DANGIT! mine cut out at the 15 min mark

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Other than himself ? - I don't remember that - I was a kid then. Just the opening - flying in towards the beach and "From Miami Beach, Florida it's the Jackie Gleason show..." [cue: Melancholy Serenade]. Still, for some reason Don Marsh just say's "Happy Gugenheim".

-Sorry for going OT....

yeah, sorry. Gugenheim is right but was it HAPPY???????

Wayne Jarvis
05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
yeah, sorry. Gugenheim is right but was it HAPPY???????
Oh. I guess I meant "Crazy Gegenheim" [courtesy Google] They say the eyes are the second thing to go, but I can't remember what's first.... (rimshot please)

Back to Larry's plans. Sounds like he's looking to attitude adjustments rather than roster changes. Hmmmm

MagicRat
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
(rimshot please)

:rimshot:

travmil
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
OK, I must say that after this season, if Bird seriously thinks that Jackson and Tinsley don't need to be gone, then Bird should be the one to go.

Gamble
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Did Larry just tip his hand on resigning Peja. He said Granger is going to
play 35 min next season. As well he said he is a 3 and should play the 3.

bulletproof
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
The thing that stood out to me was when he said that he and Rick don't see eye-to-eye on Sarunas. Other than that, pretty pat stuff. Brought up injuries a lot. Putnam won't like that.

Jermaniac
05-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Larry say anything interesting ?

Gamble
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
He is contradicting himself alot. They didn't change all through out
the season and he says if they can't make the change then they
are going to be traded.

Rick doesn't get his advice much was another thing that stood out to me.
On top of that he is going to get more involved with the players.
How is that going to work? It surely doesn't sound like they have
a good relationship to get that done.

Gamble
05-10-2006, 01:31 PM
He also said they are stepping back to win more games. Like they are
willing to trade a talented player for a lesser one.

bulletproof
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Larry say anything interesting ?

Don't stop believin'. Hold on to the feelin'.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Is that IT?!?
That doesn't sound like there was a reason to have a PC.
WTF? Try to get along or you're traded??!!:(

Frank Slade
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
12:42 PM May 10, 2006

Bird not planning Pacers' roster changes

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
Change, or be exchanged.

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird said today he’s not planning massive personnel changes with his roster, but will do so if attitudes and chemistry don’t improve.

Fan disappointment was high following the Pacers’ season, in which they finished 41-41 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to New Jersey.

“What we have to do is make sure we address what’s happened and why (the fans) are frustrated,” Bird said at a news conference at Conseco Fieldhouse. “We can’t have it. Our fans are too valuable. We’ve got to have every one of them.

“The players understand that. They’re the ones who have to make the changes. And if they can’t make the changes, yes, we have to move them.”

Bird has shared personnel responsibilities with CEO Donnie Walsh the past three seasons, but said he planned to take a more assertive role this summer.

He’s also running out of patience with players who lack professionalism.

“The noose is getting tighter,” he said
IndyStar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060510/SPORTS04/605100514)

btowncolt
05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
12:42 PM May 10, 2006

Bird not planning Pacers' roster changes

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
Change, or be exchanged.

IndyStar (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060510/SPORTS04/605100514)

:suicide:

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Dear Larry

With the approach displayed today, you sold exactly ZERO tickets for next year. In fact, you may have cost us a few.

Marketing

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Frustrating is a tough word for Larry to e-nun-ci-ate

Fustrating

RWB
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
So I guess Bird believes in time outs and go stand in the corner punishments.

Fool
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Dear Larry

With the approach displayed today, you sold exactly ZERO tickets for next year. In fact, you may have cost us a few.

Marketing

Agreed.

The "I'm still not sure I need to do anything" card isn't very inspiring.

Slick Pinkham
05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope he's announcing his resignation.

Bird... said he planned to take a more assertive role this summer.

Don't go out on that ledge, Jay. Rimfire is already on it and you may both tumble.

Tim
05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Agreed.

The "I'm still not sure I need to do anything" card isn't very inspiring.

And if he did say what people want to here, that he is trading all the bums, he has effectively told all of the other GMs he is having a fire sale.

Its a good thing Larry didn't say anything, got to keep the value of our players as high as possible.

Wayne Jarvis
05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I guess it's possible that Larry opted, or was advised, to keep it vague to mask the masterplan. Against my skeptical nature, I'd like to think so, anyway.

If this represents his true direction, it's bothersome. The only way to judge chemistry is during the season - and it seems there's been ample opportunity to so already. As for attitude, that should be well established by now.

His comment about the fans feelings is, strangely, disconcerting. I hope it's not the playing not to loose mindset (i.e. keep 'em happy enough to maintain good attendance whether it's the best route to a title or not). I've always had the feeling that Donnie talks "championship moves" but does "what's best for the bottom line".

Frank Slade
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
And if he did say what people want to here, that he is trading all the bums, he has effectively told all of the other GMs he is having a fire sale.

Its a good thing Larry didn't say anything, got to keep the value of our players as high as possible.

Yep exactly you beat me to it...

Not the most encouraging words (especially from a fan's perspecitve), the only out I would give Bird here would be, does he really want to announce he is having a fire sale on a number of his players ?, Losing whatever leverage he had left when attempting to deal them to other teams..Not to mention the ramifications of giving the impression of a certain player or players may not be back, and then you are unable to unload them , that could get sticky.

Although Bird is certainly the more straight shooter type, I am hoping this is Bird doing his best " DW Poker Face " ?

Isaac
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Haha, you guys actually believe Larry?

With him saying this, it makes me think we are in for a massive overhaul this offseason. You guys haven't learned that TPTB never tell the truth to the media?

Whoops, a couple of you beat me to this.

wooolus
05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
OTOH, could this be a smoke screen that Bird is throwing out again? If, other team don't think that he will have a overhaul, there is lesser chance of low ball offers.

wooolus
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
haha, wow, i like how fifteen different posters came up with this idea

btowncolt
05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Wait, does anyone think this might just be a smokescreen?

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
yes - otherwise I would be FUStrated

Fool
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
We've been over that territory when Bird threw his weight behind Carlise and not the players earlier this year.

Whatever his intention, the statement is not very inspiring to a fanbase that wants change and most assuredly didn't sell any extra tickets.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Nobody's going out to buy season tix on the basis of "we're going to trade a bunch of losers and get winners". Instead they will wait to see what "winners" we get.

Second, no nba GM will take this PC at face value, so no, they're not taken in. They're all still expecting a call from TPTB.

owl
05-10-2006, 02:47 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I believe Larry meant exactly what he said. We will see no changes in the
off-season other than some draft picks and maybe a different
veteran bigman. Where the stuff really hits the fan is at the trading deadline.
Then if things are not changing as for as attitude and chemistry
you will see some major changes and with the expiring contracts
available something big could happen. Until then we might as well
talk about the draft and picking up a veteran center on the cheap.

owl

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I sure hope Larry is smerter than he sounds... gol' dang it

Jon Theodore
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Any ideas about the player Larry has his eye on in the draft?

It's obviously JJ.

Slick Pinkham
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Wait, does anyone think this might just be a smokescreen?

But he knew we would be expecting a smokescreen, so he decided to tell the truth, then at the last minute...

he knew that we knew that he would know that we would be expecting a smokescreen, so he decided to tell a fib,

and then...

:headache:

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Can there be an award for most pointless thread?

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
As I was listening I jotted down a few of the comments that got my attention.

In regards to Rick:

"yes he did lose the team at times this season"

"Have not talked to Rick yet, will next week"

"Rick has to be stricter on them"

"He's under contract & we expect him back"

"need more communication between the coach and players"

Comments in general:

"Majority works their tails off"

"AJ was our best player"

"Danny's fallen in love with the 3"

"Saras is a point guard, I know Rick likes to play him at two"

"Need quickness in the backcourt"

"when bench players become starters they get really inconsistant" See Freddie, Cro

"I'd like to have Scot back"

I loved it when Bird said he doesn't want to take a step back and win just 35 games, we've already taken a step back to where we are, it is time to move forward.

I found it interesting, Bird sounds like he's going to take a more hands on approach with the players, and if I didn't know better it sounds to me that Bird was very critical of Rick.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
What a :censored:ing idiot.

I may need a "timeout" from posting. This is :censored:ing absurd.

Goodness gracious sakes alive. Somebody needs to fire him, quickly.

“The players understand that. They’re the ones who have to make the changes. And if they can’t make the changes, yes, we have to move them.”

How the hell does that help anything? We can take him at his word or we can assume he's lying. Let's assume for a minute that he really plans major roster changes and that he's lying. First, that would make him a very bad liar. DW, the master of double-speak to the media, would've found a way to make a statement that was ambiguous and left him wiggle-room in both directions later (depending on whether he found any deals he liked over the course of the summer.)

There's nothing that's going to happen between now and training camp that will cause Bird to reach the conclusion that, "they [players] can't make changes." What's he gonna do, make rookie camp mandatory for everyone then trade the one guy that's late? (Oh wait, he already traded Dampier for his buddy Mullin because he was late to something at a rookie camp that he was volunteering to attend. :unimpress)

The best case scenario, for those of us that want significant changes, it to have it proven that Bird was just blatantly lying in this press conferece. Now that will surely sell a couple of tickets, won't it?

un-:censored:ing-believable.

Please, Rick Carlisle, submit your resignation. Or get into a tiff with management over a contract extension. Its clear that TPTB are not going to fire him. Maybe Bird's comments were a clever ploy to drive Rick to resign. Right. :rolleyes:

Here's another plausible scenario: DW has already made up his mind what he's going to do this summer and its going to happen anyway, in spite of Bird's prediction that he's "going to take a more assertive role this summer."

Either way, Bird has either set himself up for two outcomes:

Bring most of the team and the coach back (making a small trade or two and frankly, trading SJax OR Tinsley would be considered a "small trade" as its doubtful that trading either one by themselves would net a starting caliber player in return.) Bad idea.

Or,

Bird will have completely discredited himself in front of the media and paying fans.

See, its okay for Donnie's, "Who know what he really means by that doublespeak?" reputation because that sparks excitement, discussion.

There's not much ambiguity in what Bird had to say, from what I've read or understand. He's either not going to do much until next season starts or he was blatantly lying today.

Is today April 1? I hope that's it. :suicide:

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Jay is FUStrated

btowncolt
05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Jay had me at, "Hello".

Gamble
05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I got the same impression UB. Larry seems disappointed in the coach as
well as the players.

This certianly adds to the get Rick out of town theory. I mean if
Larry "I am always in Europe" Bird says Rick is too hands off then
its time to X his O out of here.

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Jay don't go PFFL on us.

Calm down, let's see what he does this summer

Knucklehead Warrior
05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Jay is FUStrated
I tend to gloss over ranting. It does bother me as a RC supporter that Larry had so many negative things to say about Rick. It almost sounds like he's setting the stage for something. I just wish I had listened to the whole thing, but then with what's being reported here, who could have stood it?
OK, another vote for most useless thread.

Shade
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Here's the transcript of the conference:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_060510

Some really interesting stuff in there.

DisplacedKnick
05-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Geez - just heard part of it on Ch 13 News. What a friggin' hypocrite.

RICK'S got to be tougher on the players?

Gee - who propped Ron Artest up as the Golden Boy for 3 years with all the crap he's caused? Who decided to overlook his missing a team practice and shootaround before Game 6 of the ECF? Who decided it was OK for him to skip his postseason meeting after the 2004 season? Who decided a 2 game suspension was enough after he asked for a month off two weeks into the season? Who decided to stand next to him for an SI Cover after he threw an entire season away?

I'm not a huge Carlisle supporter but it's a wonder he could coach at all with that knife sticking out of his back.

I can't wait to read Kravitz' column tomorrow.

Los Angeles
05-10-2006, 05:28 PM
For those that are too lazy to copy and past from two windows here it is in all its "you didn't really say anything" glory: :)

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_060510

Transcript: Larry Bird’s Year-End Press Conference

Editor's Note: Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird met with the media Wednesday, May 10, and answered questions ranging from Jermaine O'Neal trade rumors to Coach Rick Carlisle's future. What follows is a transcript of that question-and-answer session.
Q. How would you characterize the 2005-06 season?

A. There's no question if you ask all the players, they felt that they underachieved this year. Obviously, it's not the season we anticipated but we had some of the same problems we had last year. We had a lot of injuries. Going into the playoffs, when you have three starters out, it puts a lot of pressure on your bench and there's a reason some of these guys are bench players: because they're inconsistent. That's what you've seen throughout the playoffs and throughout the year.

Q. Do you agree with Anthony Johnson's statement that the team's culture needs to change?

A. I can't speak for Anthony. I know a lot of guys were frustrated at the end of the year. Anthony probably had the best year he's ever had. He played great all the way from training camp throughout the year. There's a lot of things that happened this year in the locker room. I don’t think our chemistry was as good as it should've been. And the Artest situation frustrated a lot of people. Are there going to be wholesale changes? No. We'll talk to people throughout the league and see if we can make our team better. I just think Anthony was frustrated. We all were at that time.

QUOTABLE

"Are there going to be wholesale changes? No."

Q. How much personnel change do you anticipate?

A. We don't know right now. Obviously we've got two free agents we'd like to re-sign and if we don't we're going to have to fill the position. But we like our core group of players and all the guys are good guys. It's just that we've got to have better chemistry and that has to do with each individual coming in with the right attitude and going to work and doing the things necessary to get better.

Q. Did Coach Rick Carlisle lose the team?

A. I think with everything that happened last year you could look and probably say he did lose the team at times but these guys are professional, they're good guys, they know what they have to do to win ballgames. Rick's a great basketball coach. There's no question. And the players like him. It's just that some things didn't go the way they thought this year and there was a lot of frustration. A lot of it has to do with injuries. We're not going to make excuses but usually injuries come and go, but we had a majority of pretty serious injuries this year.

Q. What can be done to prevent another recurrence of injury problems?

A. I told the players after the season, two weeks from tonight, you're going to feel better. But that doesn't mean the injuries go away. You heal up, but some of these guys have injuries that they're going to have to strengthen certain areas, they're going to have to get therapy and they're going to have to prepare their bodies to play an 82-game schedule. I think some of the guys came in not being in the condition they should and when the season starts, muscles fatigue and they tear muscles and do different things to their bodies. They have to come in in better shape and they have to take care of themselves this summer.

Q. Will you consider trading Jermaine O'Neal?

A. Jermaine's name is going to come up all summer. There's not one time that we called anybody and said, 'Hey, are you interested in Jermaine O'Neal?' Jermaine O'Neal is the best player on this team. Every player on this team knows Jermaine's our guy. Are we looking to trade Jermaine? No. I can't sit here today and tell you we're going to pursue to trade Jermaine O'Neal.

QUOTABLE

"I think there's got to be more communication with the coach and the players."

Q. What can be done to improve team chemistry?

A. I think there's got to be more communication with the coach and the players. The players have got to talk out their frustrations. I've been on teams where the chemistry wasn't right but if you talk about it and get back in the right frame of mind and everybody has the same goals, you can change that. I've seen it happen before.

Q. Do you agree with O'Neal's statement that the Pacers need to acquire a true center?

A. I sort of felt bad when I heard that for Jeff (Foster) and Scottie (Pollard) and David (Harrison). Obviously, David's not where we want him to be yet. Jeff was hurt throughout most of the season and Scottie missed a lot of games because of injury. But if you have them three guys healthy and playing, that's a pretty powerful unit there. Yeah, we'd like to have Shaq in the middle, there's no question about that. But he's not going to come. There's a lot of things we're looking at and I can see where Jermaine's coming from at times but I also like the three guys we have.

Q. Will all of the assistant coaches be back next season?

A. I don't know. We haven't really talked to Rick yet. Obviously, that's probably up to him. We'll sit down and talk to him next week and see what he's thinking.

Q. Did Peja Stojakovic's injury and lack of productivity when healthy in the playoffs concern you?

A. The thing about Peja is he got hurt three or four games before the playoffs started and we knew that going in. I remember when I first started playing in the playoffs I didn't shoot the ball very well the first year, year-and-a-half. It just takes time. Obviously, we think he's a great player and we think he can help us, not only in the regular season but during the playoffs.

Q. Has Anthony Johnson reached the point that he's a starting point guard?

A. I think he's good enough to start, there's no question about that. Anthony had a heck of a year. The one thing about Anthony: he comes to work every day. He prepares himself, and hard work paid off for the kid. But I'm not the coach and I don't know who's going to start. If Jamaal Tinsley's healthy and in shape, he's about as good as you're going to get in this league. But Anthony had a great year so it's a tough question.

QUOTABLE

"It's frustrating for everybody - our fans, us - but we'll bounce back."

Q. Why has this team failed to live up to expectations the past two seasons?

A. Go back to injuries. I don't want to sit here and beat it to death but we've had as many injuries as anybody in the league, and to key players. Some of it has to do with how they played. We won 61 games, had a strong team, come out the next year and was playing very well and things happened. Then this year, basically, we felt going in that we had a very strong team. We were deep. Then when Ronnie asked to be traded it really shocked everyone and took us back a couple of steps. Once we moved Ronnie (Artest) along, then we got into the situation where we had a lot of injuries and it's frustrating. It's frustrating for everybody – our fans, us – but we'll bounce back. We've got a good team. I think the most frustrating thing this year was losing games to teams we should beat. ... Going into this year I really felt comfortable with the team. After everything that happened the year before I thought they came in with the right frame of mind and trying to prove to people. It didn't work out. It was very frustrating. It was a tough season.

Q. If the current roster returns and remains healthy, is it good enough to compete for a title?

A. I don't know. Detroit's pretty good. But I think if we're healthy and the guys come in in shape and do the things necessary to get better during the year we can give them a run. But we've got to get over the hump. You've got to beat them to make people believe in you. They're very good and hopefully we can come back this year and be able to compete with them.

Q. In retrospect, would you have done anything differently over the past couple of years?

A. Every year, I've gone into the season and thought we had a heck of a team. You can always second-guess but I like our guys, I really do. I like them as individuals and I like them as players. It's just that there are some things that need to be changed. The attitude's got to be changed, the chemistry's got to be changed and that's something we're going to work on this summer. We've talked to every player and they understand that.

QUOTABLE

"The chemistry's got to be better. ... it's got to be a unit or it won't work."

Q. Can you change the team without changing the players?

A. It's hard to talk about trades right now because we haven't started the process. We'll get calls and if we think we can make our team better we'll do something. But I like our guys and the majority of them work their tails off every day. But the chemistry's got to be better and the attitudes during games: arguing with the officials, not running back on defense, taking bad shots; all that stuff's got to stop. It's got to be a unit or it won't work.

Q. How much responsibility for the poor season is Carlisle's?

A. It's not just Rick, it's myself and Donnie (Walsh) included. We can't have that here. That's not the way you win. You've got to be professional and we've talked to every one of the guys about it. It's got to change - and it will. ... I believe at times Rick's got to be stricter on them. He's got to demand more out of these guys as far as being professionals and the way they play together. I think they'll react to that.

Q. Do the players get along well enough to develop the necessary chemistry?

A. When you lose it puts a lot more pressure on each individual. From what I hear, they like each other. They talk about their teammates and always have high praise. Sometimes they don't like the shot selection, they don't like the decisions on the court. They want to be a unit. They've got to be a unit going out there. When it's time to go, you go. You go out there, play, win together and lose together. When you lose, you've just got to get tighter and tighter and I didn't see any of that this year.

QUOTABLE

"We're going to try to fit in pieces, talk to people and see if we can make this team better."

Q. Is the constant trade talk a distraction?

A. It's been building up for a couple years here. It's very difficult when you have a season like we did and you lose in the playoffs, there's a lot of speculation out there that they're going to get traded so they feed into that. It's the same thing during the trade deadline, it's all you hear about. Then, two months later, it's 'we're going to blow this thing up.' No. We're not going to do that. We're going to try to fit in pieces, talk to people and see if we can make this team better.

Q. How did O'Neal handle the mantle of team leadership?

A. It'll take awhile. He's getting better. There's no question about it. He knows the little things he has to do now to incorporate himself in with the team. They look up to Jermaine. The players like Jermaine. But with the injury he had, it was a pretty severe injury, and that's two years in a row. He had the shoulder and then the groin. But he's coming. He's getting better. You just can't do it overnight. Trying to lead a team and do all the little things at times gets frustrating but I think he'll continue to get better. I've talked to him a lot about it. It's just the little things. Everybody goes out on the court together. Well, Jermaine never went out on the court with the other guys. Now he's doing that. It's the little things the players see and appreciate. It might be minor to you but for the team it's major because they all go out together they all win together and they all lose together.

Q. Do you plan to bring (2005 second-round pick) Erazem Lorbek to camp this year or next year?

A. Our plan right now is he's going to stay over in Europe another year.

QUOTABLE

"(Jermaine O'Neal) is our guy and we're going to build around him."

Q. Could O'Neal be traded?

A. Everything's speculation. Jermaine's our top player. I don't know who you could trade Jermaine for and get somebody better. It's all going to be speculation. Would I go to Jermaine and say 'I'm 100 percent sure you're not going to get traded?' I can't do that. But he is our guy and we're going to build around him.

Q. How do the pieces fit together at point guard?

A. The one thing I would like to see is a little more quickness in the backcourt. It's tough because Jamaal (Tinsley) has played about 1,500 minutes the last three years. If he was playing all the time, I think we'd be fine. But you're right, Anthony might think he's a starting guard now and obviously he deserves that at this point. But if Jamaal Tinsley's healthy and comes in shape and is ready to go, he's a pretty good player and he gives us a little more quickness and more ball movement out there. It's something we're going to look at, no question about it.

Q. How long can you wait for Tinsley to find a way to stay healthy?

A. It's something we talk about a lot, no question. Injuries are injuries. He dives on the floor for a loose ball and a guy steps on his elbow and he's out for 5 or 6 weeks. It's freak stuff but it's real. It's disappointing because we thought this year hopefully would be the year he'd give us 2,800 minutes but we didn't get it.

Q. What would you like Danny Granger to work on this summer?

A. I'd like to have Danny all summer for myself. There's a lot of things he can improve on. Obviously he's a very talented player, but Danny and David Harrison know what they have to do. David's been here the last two years and he's going to be here all summer and he works very, very hard. He likes this work. He likes to do things to try to get better and he's really improved. Danny, his ballhandling, I think he's falling in love with the three too much. I'd like to see him post up like he did in college. He's got all the tools. He's just got to sharpen them up a little bit.

Q. Could Granger play shooting guard?

A. I've heard Rick talk about that a little bit. Obviously, defensively, I think he can do that. But Danny Granger's really a three. You can put him defensively at two some and you can play him a little bit at four but in the future I can see Danny playing the three position. Next year, he could average 35 minutes a game.

Q. How would that be possible if Stojakovic is re-signed?

A. He can play three positions so he can get his minutes, there's no question about that.

QUOTABLE

"When I talk to Peja, he really likes it here. He tells me he would like to be here."

Q. How difficult will it be to re-sign Stojakovic?

A. I don't know. When I talk to Peja, he really likes it here. He tells me he would like to be here. Obviously, there's probably other teams out there that would like to have him so we'll just have to wait and see.

Q. Is there any lingering concern of Stojakovic's knee injury?

A. He had an MRI and there's no structural damage, just swelling. We're not concerned from what our doctors tell us. It just needs rest and he should be alright.

Q. Would like like to re-sign Scot Pollard?

A. Yes. I'd like to re-sign Scot.

Q. What are your plans for Fred Jones?

A. We're going to see what his market value is and we'll go from there. We want to re-sign him but we'll just wait and see what kind of offers he gets.

Q. Were you disappointed in Sarunas Jasikevicius' season?

A. I think it was a shock when he got over here and found out how many games we play. He'll admit to you, about halfway through the season he hit the wall. Sarunas is a point guard. Me and Rick differ. He likes to play him at two but I think he's solely a point guard. If he gets his minutes and gets out there and gets his confidence, I think he's a very good player. Now, he's going to struggle at times on the defensive end but you've got to gear your defense to help everyone. It's got to be a team effort out there. He struggled. He'd be the first one to tell you. But does he belong in this league? Yes. I think he's a heck of a player.

QUOTABLE

"It's up to Stephen (Jackson) to do the right things."

Q. What are your feelings about Stephen Jackson's performance and behavior?

A. With Stephen, obviously there's some things that need to be addressed and we've addressed them. Now it's up to Stephen to do the right things. I've got to admit, I didn’t like some of the things he did this year and we've talked about it. If he's back here next year, which I expect him to be, there's got to be some changes – not only with Stephen, but with a lot of the guys. I don't like to see our fans boo our players but some of the things Stephen was doing on the court frustrated me and I was embarrassed at times.

Q. Do you feel compelled to make some moves in order to regain the fan base?

A. What we have to do as a team with the guys we have here because they're here is make sure we address what's happening and why they're frustrated. And they've got to get better. I mean, we can't have it. Our fans are too valuable and we've got to have every one of them. Their frustration was showing just like I was frustrated throughout the year. These guys understand that. Our players understand. They're the ones that have to make the changes. If they can't do it, if they can't make those changes, yes, we have to look to move them.

Q. Will Carlisle be back as head coach?

A. We haven't talked to Rick. I don't know what his plans are. But he's under contract and we expect him to be back, yes.

Q. What kind of player would you like to get from the draft?

A. I've got my eye on one. Hopefully, he's there when we pick.

Q. Could the Pacers be in position to dabble in the free agent market?

A. It's according to what Scottie and Freddie do. We'd like to re-sign them but if we don't, we could dabble in the free agent market. And if we lose Peja. … if we don't re-sign him, our number's a lot lower.

Q. Do you have a number in mind that it would take to re-sign Stojakovic?

A. I don't but I think the Simons do, so you should call them. I don't know where it's going to go but everything we do we run through our owners and we want to do what's best for the franchise. Hopefully we can get a deal done with him.

QUOTABLE

"I'll have to do more. I probably should've done more last year."

Q. Is the team's makeup completely up to you now, or is it still a responsibility shared with Donnie Walsh?

A. He's my boss, there's no question about that. I've got to take more responsibility for the way these players (behave). After noticing the fans' frustration, I think it's up to me to take the next step and make sure these guys make the change. If they can't make the change, we've got to make the change. We just can't have that. It's not what this franchise is all about. So I'll have to do more. I probably should've done more last year. I don't like to walk into the middle of the season and sort of discredit Rick. But I know what I have to do and we're going to do it.

Q. Is it too late to believe talking to the players will have the desired impact?

A. Every time I talked to them, they reacted different. But a week later they'd revert back. I've talked to some of these guys and said, 'If you need help with your emotions, go get help.' There's people out there that can help you. But we can't have it. We just can't have it anymore. If they can't make the change, we're going to have to make the change.

Q. Would you consider returning to the bench?

A. They don't want me out there and I don't want to be out there. I wouldn't put up with it, and that's why I'm going to take a bigger role this year because we can't have it. … Things got a little out of hand because of what went on this year but Rick'll get ahold of them. Rick knows what he's got to do.

Q. Will it be necessary to take a step back in order to get better for the long-term?

A. We've taken a step back. We're not like we were when I came in. Now we've got to move forward.

Q. You said after the Artest situation was resolved that sometimes you fall in love with talent. Given this team's talent level, is it now more about building a team?

A. It's got to be a team. We've got some good players on this team. Obviously, Jermaine's a very good player, Peja's a very good player. A lot of our guys are team guys. They do the little things. They have to do the little things for us to win games. They have to defend, they have to get on the floor for loose balls, they have to rebound. And if that part's missing, we're not a very good team. But if it's all working together as a unit, they're good, they're really good and they're talented. But everybody's got to know if you're not a scorer you better do something else out there to help the team. Whatever it takes, you've got to do it.

Q. In retrospect, do you have any regrets over moving Ron Artest?

A. No. We fell in love with talent. I liked Ronnie as a person but it was time to go.

Q. Is the message that the team will be on a shorter leash next season?

A. Yes. The leash, the noose is getting tighter. We have to. It was a frustrating year for our fans, our management team and our team. I don't like a lot of the things I saw out there and it's got to change.

QUOTABLE

"I thought they would really come together (after Ron Artest was traded) but they didn't."

Q. Why didn't the chemistry improve after Artest was traded?

A. I just think the frustration of the time it took us to get somebody in here. The players will use every excuse. Then the trading deadline came and they were all worrying about getting traded. We've pretty much assured them we're going to try to keep the core of the team together. .. I'm not going to blame everything on Ronnie. I knew we had a few more problems. Did I think they would come together? Yeah, I thought they would really come together then but they didn't.

Q. Why not be more aggressive about changing the roster now?

A. Making changes is a little harder than you think it is. You've got to have somebody on another team that wants to give you something good for what they're getting. Yeah, you can make trades every day. You can take one of your better players and go get some CBA players, but that ain't how it works. I'm willing to step back, which we are right now, to move forward but I couldn't stand winning 35 games a year and knowing you'd be lucky to do that. That's not my nature. I want to win every game.

Q. How difficult was it to replace Reggie Miller's presence?

A. You can't just have one guy and say, 'OK, you're going to take his place' because that doesn't happen. With Reggie being here 18 years, that was something special. And when he's gone, you miss him being around, you miss his influence on the players. Not one guy can do that. It's got to be a team. On our team, Jermaine tried to step up to be the leader, the captain, but it takes more than that. Austin's been here a long time, Jeff Foster's been here a long time. It takes a bunch of guys because it doesn't happen overnight.

Arcadian
05-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I want to see what larry actually does. I've already come to the conclusion that Larry is a big talker. I have little interest in what he says.

Moses
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
As long as we dump Jackson and S&T Peja in a deal for a SG so we can start Granger at the 3, I'll be happy. I can live with Tinsley here another year if it means we get rid of Jackson. The guy, to simply put it, is horrible.

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I still think there is a pretty good chance Rick will resign with full benefits

Jermaniac
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM

A. Jermaine's name is going to come up all summer. There's not one time that we called anybody and said, 'Hey, are you interested in Jermaine O'Neal?' Jermaine O'Neal is the best player on this team. Every player on this team knows Jermaine's our guy. Are we looking to trade Jermaine? No. I can't sit here today and tell you we're going to pursue to trade Jermaine O'Neal.

------------

Well I'm Happy

317Kim
05-10-2006, 06:08 PM

------------

Well I'm Happy

Same here.

I liked this part too,

Q. How did O'Neal handle the mantle of team leadership? A. It'll take awhile. He's getting better. There's no question about it. He knows the little things he has to do now to incorporate himself in with the team. They look up to Jermaine. The players like Jermaine. But with the injury he had, it was a pretty severe injury, and that's two years in a row. He had the shoulder and then the groin. But he's coming. He's getting better. You just can't do it overnight. Trying to lead a team and do all the little things at times gets frustrating but I think he'll continue to get better. I've talked to him a lot about it. It's just the little things. Everybody goes out on the court together. Well, Jermaine never went out on the court with the other guys. Now he's doing that. It's the little things the players see and appreciate. It might be minor to you but for the team it's major because they all go out together they all win together and they all lose together.

Natston
05-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I want to see what larry actually does. I've already come to the conclusion that Larry is a big talker. I have little interest in what he says.

I agree but by what he said today, he's going to make it very tough to satisfy the fan base.

Evan_The_Dude
05-10-2006, 06:20 PM
"But the chemistry's got to be better and the attitudes during games: arguing with the officials, not running back on defense, taking bad shots; all that stuff's got to stop. It's got to be a unit or it won't work."

Well, if he didn't call out Jackson on that one!

Sollozzo
05-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Jay, what major moves do you exactly want the Pacers to make?

You like O'Neal, and I believe you want to keep him, correct? That's the teams biggest chip right there.

You seem to like Tinsley, but even if you want him gone, we all know no team in their right mind is going to trade starting caliber pg for him.

You are a David Harrison fan. Harrison is one of the few players on this roster who would draw some attention from other teams, but I don't think you want to move him do you?

Do you like Granger? Everyone else here does. I seriously doubt you want him traded.

By the posts I've read, you seem to believe that AJ shouldn't be the Pacers starting pg. AJ played great in the playoffs, but you aren't going to get a whole lot for him.

You obviously can't stand Stephen Jackson. And Jackson obviously isn't going to get you a player that will make this team a contender.

Do you like Peja? We could sign and trade him somewhere, but I doubt either parties are interested in doing that.

If I take out the players you seem to like on this team that leaves Gill, Tinsley(I've heard you say you would trade him if the deal was right), Foster, Croshere, Jax, Saras, AJ, Jones, and Pollard.

I didn't put Peja in there because I find it highly unlikely that a sign and trade is done with him. He either leaves or stays, and if he leaves you obviously get zero.

That's not much to work with. No NBA executive is going to give you much for any combination of that group of players. Certainly not any player that will make you a contender.

For a "major change" it's going to cost a combination of the few players left on this team that fans seem to like.

Evan_The_Dude
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I saw too many hints in there to believe Rick will be back next season. Just too many.

Kegboy
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think Rick's gone, but this just deepens for me that he and Larry are not only not on the same page, they're not in the same book. I understand that they're friends, but I just don't get keeping a coach who doesn't play the style you want to play.

I guess Larry really is an idiot. :-o

Evan_The_Dude
05-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I don't think Rick's gone, but this just deepens for me that he and Larry are not only not on the same page, they're not in the same book. I understand that they're friends, but I just don't get keeping a coach who doesn't play the style you want to play.

I guess Larry really is an idiot. :-o

Well, from what I've read into the Q&A, Donnie is still the boss. That tells me that if Rick were to be fired, it would be Donnie doing it, not Larry. But then again, who fired Isaiah and hired Carlisle? Donnie or Larry?

I'm confused.

owl
05-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I can't wait to read Kravitz' column tomorrow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Rimfire, you are definitely in the minority on that thought. But that's ok.
:-)

owl

Los Angeles
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, from what I've read into the Q&A, Donnie is still the boss. That tells me that if Rick were to be fired, it would be Donnie doing it, not Larry. But then again, who fired Isaiah and hired Carlisle? Donnie or Larry?

I'm confused.
I've heard that Donnie did the actual person-to-person firing of Isaih.

As for who hired Rick, I only assume Larry did the person-to-person hiring of Carlisle.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Jay, what major moves do you exactly want the Pacers to make?

You like O'Neal, and I believe you want to keep him, correct? That's the teams biggest chip right there.

You seem to like Tinsley, but even if you want him gone, we all know no team in their right mind is going to trade starting caliber pg for him.

You are a David Harrison fan. Harrison is one of the few players on this roster who would draw some attention from other teams, but I don't think you want to move him do you?

Do you like Granger? Everyone else here does. I seriously doubt you want him traded.

By the posts I've read, you seem to believe that AJ shouldn't be the Pacers starting pg. AJ played great in the playoffs, but you aren't going to get a whole lot for him.

You obviously can't stand Stephen Jackson. And Jackson obviously isn't going to get you a player that will make this team a contender.

Do you like Peja? We could sign and trade him somewhere, but I doubt either parties are interested in doing that.

If I take out the players you seem to like on this team that leaves Gill, Tinsley(I've heard you say you would trade him if the deal was right), Foster, Croshere, Jax, Saras, AJ, Jones, and Pollard.

I didn't put Peja in there because I find it highly unlikely that a sign and trade is done with him. He either leaves or stays, and if he leaves you obviously get zero.

That's not much to work with. No NBA executive is going to give you much for any combination of that group of players. Certainly not any player that will make you a contender.

For a "major change" it's going to cost a combination of the few players left on this team that fans seem to like.

As long as we're keeping JO it isn't a major change. And frankly, swapping superstars with Minnesota (and not changing anything else) wouldn't really be a major change either.)

I don't spend much time dreaming up trades, so I'll talk in general terms.

SJax must go. I'd like a SJax + S&T Fred + ?? (Foster?) to Golden State for Pietrus and either Diogu (my top choice) or Biedens (if we can't get Ike we should still find a way to pull the trigger.)

Croshere has an expiring contract, I'd take my chances on Lamond Murray and Zoran Planinic as a short-term and long-term improvement to our outside shooting.

I'd try my best to S&T Peja - with Pollard's and Reggie's contracts coming off the books it would be foolish of the Pacers to let him sign outright with another team. We can take some value back. I'd like a backup post player in return. I'm okay with Donyell Marshall on a short-term basis.

I'd like to see what it would cost us to acquire Antonio Daniels.

I'm okay with keeping and building around a new coach and JO, David, and Danny. I'm okay with Tinsley starting next season as the PG (on a short leash).

I want SJax, Fred, Peja, and Foster out. I'm iffy on Croshere, he's become too much of an oversized "3" for my taste and he's finally tradeable. I want Pollard's contract off the books so that the team can afford/ justify S&T's on Fred and Peja. Tinsley has no trade value yet, although Bird may have done a nice job talking him up. He's clearly our best PG right now, but also very unreliable. :shrug:

We need to try out some different style players around JO. Guys that can get him the ball in the right position. Guys that spread the defense and make them pay for doubleteams. Guys that can prevent dribble penetration on the defensive end of the court. Guys that understand their role and are willing to play within it.

Most importantly, our team needs to get more mature so I don't want a bunch of young guys with potential in the trades. Some veterans to help clean up the lockerroom and then leave us with salary flexibility is a fine outcome for the summer.

Anthem
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm trying to understand Larry's vision of this team.

I really don't see it.

Kegboy
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I've heard that Donnie did the actual person-to-person firing of Isiah.

Perhaps, but Larry made it very clear he was the one who wanted him gone.

Sollozzo
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I want to hear it right now.

What moves do you all want?

Harrison, and especially Granger are 2 players who alot of fans believe have alot of potential. I know about all of this board would be upset if Danny were traded.

If you're going to do anything, one of those young prospects have to be included.

If you want anything major, you have to give up JO.

Peja either stays or leaves. Doubt we would sign and trade.

Outside of that, the players left on the Pacers roster are viewed as being mediocre around the rest of the league. They aren't going to land you much.

Sollozzo
05-10-2006, 07:08 PM
As long as we're keeping JO it isn't a major change. And frankly, swapping superstars with Minnesota (and not changing anything else) wouldn't really be a major change either.)

I don't spend much time dreaming up trades, so I'll talk in general terms.

SJax must go. I'd like a SJax + S&T Fred + ?? (Foster?) to Golden State for Pietrus and either Diogu (my top choice) or Biedens (if we can't get Ike we should still find a way to pull the trigger.)

Croshere has an expiring contract, I'd take my chances on Lamond Murray and Zoran Planinic as a short-term and long-term improvement to our outside shooting.

I'd try my best to S&T Peja - with Pollard's and Reggie's contracts coming off the books it would be foolish of the Pacers to let him sign outright with another team. We can take some value back. I'd like a backup post player in return. I'm okay with Donyell Marshall on a short-term basis.

I'd like to see what it would cost us to acquire Antonio Daniels.

I'm okay with keeping and building around a new coach and JO, David, and Danny. I'm okay with Tinsley starting next season as the PG (on a short leash).

I want SJax, Fred, Peja, and Foster out. I'm iffy on Croshere, he's become too much of an oversized "3" for my taste and he's finally tradeable. I want Pollard's contract off the books so that the team can afford/ justify S&T's on Fred and Peja. Tinsley has no trade value yet, although Bird may have done a nice job talking him up. He's clearly our best PG right now, but also very unreliable. :shrug:

We need to try out some different style players around JO. Guys that can get him the ball in the right position. Guys that spread the defense and make them pay for doubleteams. Guys that can prevent dribble penetration on the defensive end of the court. Guys that understand their role and are willing to play within it.

Most importantly, our team needs to get more mature so I don't want a bunch of young guys with potential in the trades. Some veterans to help clean up the lockerroom and then leave us with salary flexibility is a fine outcome for the summer.

Thanks for the reply.

THose are very feasable moves, and I think most fans could live with those.

I'm just going to shudder all summer when I see fans thinking up ridiculous trades. Every year here, there are fans who want to unload all of the Pacers mediocre players for heavy impact players on other teams.

Anthem
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Don't know. Don't care.

I'm fine with admitting that I want a move for its own sake. This team needs a shakeup.

I want a team that fits together. We shouldn't have 3 PGs going into next year. I want our PF to play PF instead of C. I want a reasonable rotation at the swing positions. If we're going to pay Peja big money, then he needs to be a big-money guy. Don't give him 10mil/year to sit on the bench in the fourth. I want a mature, veteran presence on the team. More than one is better. I want to get rid of at least one knucklehead.

Is that too much to ask?

blanket
05-10-2006, 07:15 PM

A. We don't know right now. Obviously we've got two free agents we'd like to re-sign and if we don't we're going to have to fill the position. But we like our core group of players and all the guys are good guys. It's just that we've got to have better chemistry and that has to do with each individual coming in with the right attitude and going to work and doing the things necessary to get better.

So which 2 of our 4 free agents is he talking about? Peja and Scot? Maybe he doesn't consider Freddie a real FA since we retain right of first refusal (or whatever it's called) since he's RFA. Or maybe he's just washed his hands of him as Isiah's draft pick. Then there's Eddie Gill... no respect. ;)

Hicks
05-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I think the truth we may all have to face is that in Indiana, you just don't have a lot of options as a GM. Sure, you can always make moves, but are they long-term a gain or not?

Think about it. In Indiana we know that:

1) It's hard to impossible to get a huge free agent (read: All-Star or better) to sign here from a different city they're leaving.

2) The fan base is fickle. They know what they want, they know what they don't want, and if you try to blow a team up or even significantly rebuild it, you risk lowering attendance, and this franchise depends heavily on local fan support. Heavily. That's a kick in the gut financially to do this for them.

3) Due to #'s 1 and 2, trades have to be made with extreme caution. In a position like this, you tend to feel lucky to even have valuable assets at all. You either drafted them or traded a current good player for a future good player who blossomed, most likely. So even when you see changes really need to be made, you're not about to just give them away to clean up the chemistry. You have to wait and hope that either a) The right deal comes along where you don't take a hit (or much of one) talent-wise or b) The player cleans up his act enough to be tolerated.

Our best method of getting quality is through the draft, which is also extremely difficult when you can't afford to have a basement season to get a high lottery pick. You have to pick from #16-30 every year, and hope you find a diamond that drops (like Granger probably is).

Given all of that, it's extremely difficult to make a lot of change with this team without the entire house of cards collapsing. After reading Pacers Digest for years now, I see a lot of long-term fans who don't keep this in mind often enough, and choose to instead scream at the players, coaches, and/or managers they like the least and/or flat out despise. Wishing won't make it so. The reality is, not a lot can be done without the patience we all get sick and tired of seeing.

Give it time. I don't mean another year. Save your anger for October. Then you will truly know if Bird is doing what you hate or like. Screaming about it in May over assumptions and angry bias won't get you anywhere healthy.

Los Angeles
05-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the reply.

THose are very feasable moves, and I think most fans could live with those.

I'm just going to shudder all summer when I see fans thinking up ridiculous trades. Every year here, there are fans who want to unload all of the Pacers mediocre players for heavy impact players on other teams.
Croshere, Jackson, Johnson and a pick for Kobe Bryant. Both teams win!!!!

It's going to be a long summer. Thank goodness there's a whole forum for the Real GM/Fantasy guys now.

blanket
05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Given the "fix, don't replace" theme to Bird's comments, I found this question to be a good one, getting to the heart of his summer plans:

It's just too bad he didn't answer it. :grumble:

blanket
05-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Anthony might think he's a starting guard now and obviously he deserves that at this point.

Sounds like AJ might be traded.

And given his performance this season, particularly in the playoffs, he's got to have a higher trade value right now than most of our other players; so, if we can still improve our backcourt, getting value out of AJ now might be a good plan.

Bball
05-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I've scanned the transcript and I'm not as down on this as some of you are. Bird left plenty of ambiguity in his statements about player moves. It's not like he painted himself into a corner. He had plenty of caveats. Even in regards to JO.

I never expected a public comment about a firesale in Pacerland.

Also, he seems to confirm the suspicion that Carlisle and management have not been on the same page. He seems to be saying he is going to take a more active role in the development of this team. Could that be the start of seeing a 'vision'... a sense of direction... employed?

I sense that TPTB gave Carlisle some pieces and assumed Carlisle would use and mold them as intended. Instead, Carlisle got out the hammer and tried to pound the square pegs into round holes.

This may not be the post to discuss this but I've been wondering if Carlisle isn't the type of guy who has the ability to do far more and think much more creatively and outside of the box, BUT when he's the HEAD coach he reins it in. He just can't bring himself to get too far away from his comfort zone or risk his control of the game. Maybe as an assistant coach (as he was during our 2000 run) he could run a system more like the HC wanted and not feel so much heat with the W/L's as long as he had systems that the HC wanted. The HC got the heat.

If Larry, as GM, requested Carlisle use his players differently and play a different style I don't know whether that would free Carlisle up knowing he's doing what Bird wants (W or L) or just make him want to quit. :shrug:

--

I found it interesting that Bird (speaking of SJax) said "If he's back next year..." before correcting course a bit.

I never got a warm, fuzzy feel about where he's going with the Carlisle situation. I got the feeling Carlisle hasn't used this team like Bird thought he would and I get the feeling he sounds more like he's going to dictate some things to Carlisle rather than discuss them. It sounds almost as if the heat in the kitchen is about to be turned up.

I found it interesting when talking about assistant coaches Bird said their return would probably be up to Carlisle.

What's this talk about the Simons and Peja's salary offer? I thought they were all about being "Hands off"... and didn't we read it was them that nixed an earlier Artest trade? Maybe Brad Miller didn't shop at Simon Malls enough! :tongue:

-Bball

CableKC
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Our best method of getting quality is through the draft, which is also extremely difficult when you can't afford to have a basement season to get a high lottery pick. You have to pick from #16-30 every year, and hope you find a diamond that drops (like Granger probably is).

Given all of that, it's extremely difficult to make a lot of change with this team without the entire house of cards collapsing. After reading Pacers Digest for years now, I see a lot of long-term fans who don't keep this in mind often enough, and choose to instead scream at the players, coaches, and/or managers they like the least and/or flat out despise. Wishing won't make it so. The reality is, not a lot can be done without the patience we all get sick and tired of seeing.

Give it time. I don't mean another year. Save your anger for October. Then you will truly know if Bird is doing what you hate or like. Screaming about it in May over assumptions and angry bias won't get you anywhere healthy.
I need some of the PD Brain Trust to help me clarify since you guys have a better memory of Pacer History then I do.

In the last couple of seasons.....what is the biggest Free Agent signing that we have made?

We did a bunch of S&Ts or trades that netted us players like SJax, Artest who ultimately became Peja and Miller who ultimately became Pollard.

The Pacers ( or I guess Walsh / Bird ) historically have rebuilt or retooled the team through the Draft, any S&T of players that are up for a new Contract and the signing of 2nd/3rd tier Free Agents.

Historically.....the Pacers don't make any type of Huge Big Free Agent signings....and when we consider that Sarunas is the biggest one in recent history.....it tells you something.

Bball
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I think the truth we may all have to face is that in Indiana, you just don't have a lot of options as a GM. Sure, you can always make moves, but are they long-term a gain or not?

1) It's hard to impossible to get a huge free agent (read: All-Star or better) to sign here from a different city they're leaving.

IMHO this is largely a myth. It plays nice to use it as a crutch when as a manager you'd prefer not to play the FA game yet know fans LOVE the FA game... at least for a while.

I agree that the "'superest' of superstars" likely won't be interested in Indiana. Especially at a down time. Not when they can totally call their own shots and name their own salary. But things get a little different at the next rung where bidding is the name of the game. The Pacers don't play that game because they never have the cap space to play that game and secondly, it isn't the Pacers' preferred team-building method. IMHO, if they could and would offer a FA the best $$ package then that FA would sign with Indiana.

2) The fan base is fickle. They know what they want, they know what they don't want, and if you try to blow a team up or even significantly rebuild it, you risk lowering attendance, and this franchise depends heavily on local fan support. Heavily. That's a kick in the gut financially to do this for them.

3) Due to #'s 1 and 2, trades have to be made with extreme caution. In a position like this, you tend to feel lucky to even have valuable assets at all. You either drafted them or traded a current good player for a future good player who blossomed, most likely. So even when you see changes really need to be made, you're not about to just give them away to clean up the chemistry. You have to wait and hope that either a) The right deal comes along where you don't take a hit (or much of one) talent-wise or b) The player cleans up his act enough to be tolerated.

I think these are true no matter where you are.... Indiana or India.

IMHO Patience is still part of the problem. Some of these 'problem' players could be moved before their problems rise to a level for all to see or before it infects the whole team's performance. ("Problem" in this sense could mean injury prone, quality of play, attitude, etc). But once the 'problem' is on full display or has grown worse than ever, you've lost your leverage.

I still believe sometimes you DO make trades for the sake of trades. Patience rarely energizes the fanbase...

-Bball

Doug in CO
05-10-2006, 08:56 PM

I think the same thing - I would be surprised if Rick is back.

You don't fire your friends - you let them exit gracefully.

On the other hand, hiring your friends in the first place is not a great idea.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I've finally had a chance to scan the full transcript.

There are some comments I didn't like, but the tone wasn't as strong as I was originally led to believe. :shrug:

Anyway, this article shows a much different viewpoint on Bird's comments:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pacers-bird&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bird willing to trade unruly Pacers

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird said the team's players will shape up or play elsewhere next season.

The Pacers entered this season with championship aspirations, but they traded an unhappy Ron Artest and dealt with numerous injuries on their way to a 41-41 record and a first-round playoff exit.

Bird said he likes the Pacers' talent and doesn't plan to make major changes this summer. But he made it clear Wednesday he's done dealing with bad attitudes, selfishness and laziness.

"They're the ones that have to make the changes," he said. "If they can't make the changes, yes, we have to look to move them."

Bird said he expects to build around Jermaine O'Neal, despite trade rumors.

"Jermaine O'Neal is our best player on this team. Everybody on this team knows Jermaine's our guy," Bird said. "I can't sit here today and say we're going to pursue to trade Jermaine O'Neal. There's not one time that we ever called anybody and said 'Hey, are you interested in Jermaine O'Neal?'

"I don't know who out there you could trade Jermaine for and get somebody better."

The Pacers also want to re-sign sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic, who came from Sacramento in the trade for Artest. He averaged 19.5 points in 40 regular-season games but missed four of Indiana's six playoff games, all losses to New Jersey.

"When I talked to Peja, he said he really likes it here and tells me he'd like to be here," Bird said.

Those who do return will need to help the team work cohesively.

"I know that a lot of guys were frustrated," Bird said. "There's a lot of things that happened in the locker room. I don't think our chemistry is as good as it could have been."

Players were critical of the team's performance after the series-ending Game 6 loss to New Jersey.

Point guard Anthony Johnson said the culture needs to change, forward Austin Croshere said the team underachieved and O'Neal said the team needs help at center.

Bird didn't argue with Croshere's assessment and made observations similar to Johnson's on Wednesday.

As for center play, he said David Harrison is a young, raw talent who is improving, and Jeff Foster and Scot Pollard are hard workers who through injuries missed a combined 55 regular-season and four playoff games.

"That's frustration (from O'Neal)," Bird said. "I sort of felt bad when I heard that for Jeff and Scotty and David. You have those three guys healthy and playing, that's a pretty powerful unit there."

Stephen Jackson also has been considered possible trade bait, but his return could depend on his attitude. He played in all but one game and averaged 16.4 points this season, but Bird said Jackson spent too much time jawing with officials and taking poor shots.

Jackson also blamed rookie teammate Danny Granger for allowing Vince Carter to score too easily on a key play late in Game 5 against the Nets.

"It's up to Stephen to do the right thing," Bird said. "I don't like some of the things he did this year. If he's back here, which I expect him to be, there's going to be some changes. I don't like our fans booing our players, but some of the things Stephen was doing out on the court frustrated me. I was embarrassed at times."

Bird said coach Rick Carlisle deserves some of the blame for the team's lack of discipline and that Carlisle should expect more from his players.

"I think with everything that happened last year, you could probably look and say yes, he did lose the team at times," Bird said. "But they're good guys and they know what to do to win ballgames. He's a great coach, there's no question."

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I think Bird said enough on both sides of the issue to satisfy everyone or I guess make everyone unhappy.

He certainly could have said a lot less.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Are there two sides of the issue? You and I both want some amount of change this summer, both players and coaches, and we're usually a pretty good barometer of the "extremes".

Believe_in_blue
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I like how he honestly adressed just about every problem going from the coaching to the players. I just hope he follows through with everything he says and gets rid of everybody who is not on the same page.

Unclebuck
05-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Are there two sides of the issue? You and I both want some amount of change this summer, both players and coaches, and we're usually a pretty good barometer of the "extremes".

Yes there are two sides to the issue. But there are maybe 10 issues.

Some want Rick gone some don't

Some want J.O. gone some don't.

And I think you get the idea.

Jermaniac was thrilled about what Larry had to say about J.O, but he was disgusted by what Larry said about Rick.

That is what i mean

D-BONE
05-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Jermaniac was thrilled about what Larry had to say about J.O, but he was disgusted by what Larry said about Rick.

Then there's also the issue that many in this thread have brought up. What if none of what LB said can be taken at face value.

There's no guarantee of anything and, as you point out UB, he sort of spoke out of all sides of his mouth so as to vaguely address all the issues for the various "constituencies".

Therefore, there's nothing in his comment about JO that we can assume means he absolutely won't be traded. I'm not saying he will be traded but to say something like I can't sit here and tell you we will pursue a trade of JO only says (if you even believe it) that we won't actively initiate anything.

However, it doesn't say we aren't willing to listen, negotiate, or even act if somebody else takes a first step.

Will Galen
05-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Bird's press conference was disjointed as press conferences always are. I've taken certain subjects and removed the unnecessary words and platitudes.

What Bird said about a possible JO trade.

Are we looking to trade Jermaine? No.

Q. Could O'Neal be traded?

A. Every thing's speculation. I don't know who you could trade Jermaine for and get somebody better. Would I go to Jermaine and say 'I'm 100 percent sure you're not going to get traded?' I can't do that.

I think we can safely assume that unless we trade JO for another post presence he's not going anywhere. That would be for guys like Garnett, Bosh, and Howard, etc.. We won't be trading him for draft picks and young players with potential like some posters on here would like. That would obviously be taking a step back and Bird said this, I quote; "We've taken a step back. We're not like we were when I came in. Now we've got to move forward."

-----

This is what Bird said about trades in general.

Are there going to be wholesale changes? No. We'll talk to people throughout the league and see if we can make our team better.

A. We don't know right now. Obviously we've got two free agents we'd like to re-sign and if we don't we're going to have to fill the position.

A. It's hard to talk about trades right now because we haven't started the process. We'll get calls and if we think we can make our team better we'll do something.

I didn't really think there would be wholesale changes. That's neither Bird or Donnie's style. As for his 'we will see if we can make our team better,' statements, that's a given, he always says that. However, he's not saying he doesn't attend to make changes.

He said they haven't started the process yet, obviously because they are working on the draft. One thing that's been mentioned on here is they talked a lot of trades last year when they were trading Artest, so they probably have an idea of what's available.

-----

What Bird said about the point guards.

Q. Has Anthony Johnson reached the point that he's a starting point guard?

A. I think he's good enough to start, there's no question about that. But I'm not the coach and I don't know who's going to start. If Jamaal Tinsley's healthy and in shape, he's about as good as you're going to get in this league.

Q. How do the pieces fit together at point guard?

A. The one thing I would like to see is a little more quickness in the back court. It's tough because Jamaal (Tinsley) has played about 1,500 minutes the last three years. If he was playing all the time, I think we'd be fine. But you're right, Anthony might think he's a starting guard now and obviously he deserves that at this point. But if Jamaal Tinsley's healthy and comes in shape and is ready to go, he's a pretty good player and he gives us a little more quickness and more ball movement out there. It's something we're going to look at, no question about it.

Q. Were you disappointed in Sarunas Jasikevicius' season?

A. Sarunas is a point guard. Me and Rick differ. He likes to play him at two but I think he's solely a point guard. If he gets his minutes and gets out there and gets his confidence, I think he's a very good player. Now, he's going to struggle at times on the defensive end but you've got to gear your defense to help everyone. It's got to be a team effort out there. I think he's a heck of a player.

There's a lot of stuff here. Apparently he thinks all of our point guards are pretty good players. He mentioned Tins is as good as they come and AJ deserves to start, yet he still wants more quickness in the back court. I think either Tinsley or Johnson will be gone next year along with Gill who wasn't mentioned. I think Sarunas will be the backup. I think our third point with be someone taken in the draft.

------

On Danny Granger.

A. I'd like to have Danny all summer for myself. There's a lot of things he can improve on. Danny, his ballhandling, I think he's falling in love with the three too much. I'd like to see him post up like he did in college. He's got all the tools.

Q. Could Granger play shooting guard?

A. I've heard Rick talk about that a little bit. Obviously, defensively, I think he can do that. But Danny Granger's really a three. You can put him defensively at two some and you can play him a little bit at four but in the future I can see Danny playing the three position. Next year, he could average 35 minutes a game.

Q. How would that be possible if Stojakovic is re-signed?

A. He can play three positions so he can get his minutes, there's no question about that.

Nothing really new here it just confirms the rumors we've been hearing. One thing, if Bird is really going to be more hands on he might be working with Danny a lot this summer.

-----

Q. Why not be more aggressive about changing the roster now?

A. Making changes is a little harder than you think it is. You've got to have somebody on another team that wants to give you something good for what they're getting. Yeah, you can make trades every day. You can take one of your better players and go get some CBA players, but that ain't how it works. I'm willing to step back, which we are right now, to move forward but I couldn't stand winning 35 games a year and knowing you'd be lucky to do that. That's not my nature. I want to win every game.

Simply put, Bird won't make what he thinks are bad trades. Obviously he would make a sideways move for equal talent if he thought it would improve the team.

pizza guy
05-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Larry said some of the right things. He gave enough to make some folks happy, but never committed to anything 100%. We've sort of come to expect that from any and all team GM/owner/president of any sport. Some things that I think were heavily insinuated though:

1.) He and Rick don't agree, and Rick's future is up in the air. "We haven't talked to Rick yet..." isn't a ringing endorsment.

2.) The attitudes MUST change - especially SJax. He's obviously sick and tired of the crappy behavior and poor basketball IQ. Something will change, even though he was really vague on what/how much.

3.) He still likes Sarunas. This relates to Rick, but I thought I'd make a point of it. He likes Runi as a PG, and exclusively as a PG - to which I have no objections.

4.) Our other PGs are up in the air. "AJ obviously earned the spot," (read: he's great, anyone want him?) "Tinsley is as good as anyone," (read: someone please take him, he's actually decent).

5.) The last one. Danny is a 3. He seemed fairly adement about that. Danny can play a little 2, and a little 4, but Danny IS a 3.

Other than those, it's hard to read him. How much will be done? Who will be moved/kept? Rick's future? They were mostly PC answers to keep the casual fan happy. Problem is, we're not casual fans, so we're not 100% happy.

Will Galen
05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Point guard Anthony Johnson said the culture needs to change, forward Austin Croshere said the team underachieved and O'Neal said the team needs help at center.

Bird didn't argue with Croshere's assessment and made observations similar to Johnson's on Wednesday.

As for center play, he said David Harrison is a young, raw talent who is improving, and Jeff Foster and Scot Pollard are hard workers who through injuries missed a combined 55 regular-season and four playoff games.

"That's frustration (from O'Neal)," Bird said. "I sort of felt bad when I heard that for Jeff and Scotty and David. You have those three guys healthy and playing, that's a pretty powerful unit there."

I think everyone encluding Bird are missing JO's point. JO has complained about having to play at center for years. JO says the team needs help at center because Carlisle plays him/JO at center. JO isn't complaining about our centers, he's actually complaining about Carlisle always playing him there.

ChicagoJ
05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree 100% Will.

And of the three, Pollard's always hurt, Foster's even more a "4" than JO, and David's an enigma as the team really needs him on the court (which means they need to be in a position to sacrifice some games early next season to get him used to playing without fouling.)

abington
05-10-2006, 11:09 PM
I think it's pretty clear from Bird's comments that the love affair between him and Rick is over. I'm thinking that it is better than 50-50 that we will have a new coach next season.

Bball
05-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Maybe the Simons don't want to pay for another coach right now (effectively meaning they don't want to pay two coaches next season).

If JO is talking about HIM not playing center then he certainly has had a long time to make sure he is understood and isn't doing a very good job of being understood (or paid any attention).

-Bball

Roy Munson
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
If JO is talking about HIM not playing center then he certainly has had a long time to make sure he is understood and isn't doing a very good job of being understood (or paid any attention).

-Bball

If JO gets to play more 4 next season I expect that when he has a bad game he'll blame it on the fact that he had to play 5 so much that it made him forget how to play 4. He'll come up with some lame reason why it isn't his fault.

Anthem
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
If JO gets to play more 4 next season I expect that when he has a bad game he'll blame it on the fact that he had to play 5 so much that it made him forget how to play 4. He'll come up with some lame reason why it isn't his fault.
Well, that's possible. But it doesn't change the fact that he's right in this instance.

Carlisle keeps playing him out of position.

pacerwaala
05-11-2006, 12:35 AM
We do not know what Bird is going to exactly do but one thing is for sure, Bird gives some insight and does not sugarcoat much (always); he is not like your typical GM who has his stock answers ready every year. He is very candid and is a breath of fresh air. His comments about SJax were something that I have not seen any GM say publicly about his players. He even came out and said that he and Rick differ on some aspects.

He is a no bull guy and I personally am confident that he will lead us to the promised land.

Peck
05-11-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty tired right now after having a very long day so I will only be able to briefly reply to Birds interview & I wish I wasn't so tired because there is a lot to say on this. But I'll just hit the very small highlights.

1. The press conferance started & about 2 min. in I was preparing to slice my wrist to put myself out of my misery. I know better than to ever listen to these post season interviews because in years past we have the set in stone answers with a positive spin on the future that Walsh has always given us. It works for him & a lot of people like that stuff but it always made me sick. Thus the interview started out the same but here is where the world has become differant.

a. Mike Wells is not Mark Montieth, the new reporter from WTHR is not like anything we've ever had before in the Indy market & Bob Kravits was in the room.

b. Larry Bird is not Donnie Walsh.

To point A. The reporters actually asked hard questions & followed up the questions with even more hard questions. They actually had the audacity to name names & ask Bird his opinions.

To point B. Larry could not stick to the script, eventually his true feelings leaked out about a varitey of topics (which have already been chronicled here). Personnaly I found it refreshing, but that is just because that is my preferance. Others probably could not stand it when he called out Jackson for his behavior or Rick for the Saras mis-use.

So what started out as a mind numbing P.R. interview turned into an informative talk by Bird. It doesn't mean I liked what he had to say but I at least liked the idea that he said it.

2. This is bigger than point # 1 btw, but I liked the other one better. There is a reason our team has chemistry issues & is very disjointed. It's because our management seems to be disjointed. I'm not sure that Walsh, Bird or Carlisle are even on the same page. I'm not even sure that Rick wouldn't fire Carlisle right now if it weren't for paying his contract & the Simons & Donnie not approving. Like I said I'm tired so I just can't remember all of the points where I noticed dissention but needless to say there were some doozy's.

3. Bird at least knows the fans don't like this team. He aknowledged that some of the players embarrased him. I like to know that.

Anyway I'm not sure I added much to this but that's all I got for now. Still no internet at the office:mad: so I don't know when I'll be back on (probably tommorrow night).

bulletproof
05-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Maybe the Simons don't want to pay for another coach right now (effectively meaning they don't want to pay two coaches next season).

I'm not even sure that Bird wouldn't fire Carlisle right now if it weren't for paying his contract & the Simons & Donnie not approving.

Hmm. Interesting that you would both now acknowledge that paying two coaches at the same time might actually factor into a team's overall financial picture. This certainly wasn't the case when I brought this up 3 summers ago in discussions we had about Brad with regard to firing Isiah and hiring Rick.

Regardless, if Larry felt strongly that Rick had to go, he'd be gone. Donnie wouldn't stand in the way of that. He'd just remind him, if necessary, of how that might impact the team's finances.

Seed
05-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Sounds like AJ might be traded.

And given his performance this season, particularly in the playoffs, he's got to have a higher trade value right now than most of our other players; so, if we can still improve our backcourt, getting value out of AJ now might be a good plan.

I didn't notice this, but after reading your comment I have a strong feeling that's what's gonna happen.

LB wants more quickness in the back-court +
AJ deserves to start (but isn't quick enough for LB) +
Sarunas should play more PG and less SG +
Sarunas belongs to this league +
AJ's market value is high while Jamal's is low

It all leads to AJ being traded and Jamal + Sarunas splitting the PG.

Flax
05-11-2006, 03:44 AM
I didn't notice this, but after reading your comment I have a strong feeling that's what's gonna happen.

LB wants more quickness in the back-court +
AJ deserves to start (but isn't quick enough for LB) +
Sarunas should play more PG and less SG +
Sarunas belongs to this league +
AJ's market value is high while Jamal's is low

I find it puzzling.

1. Sarunas is also not quick enough
2. He belongs to this league, but fails to do it under Carlisle, which is obvious from LB comments
3. Jamal is fragile and from LB comments one may suspect, that he also lacks post-season work ethics thus failing to prepare his body for the season. He is simply unpredictable with regards to his condition.

All above summs up that I can not picture our back-court comming in next season. Trading AJ does not answer the question whether our back-court is quick and durable, unless we get quick and durable PG in exchange to AJ or anybody else. Then we again start going in circles - what is Sarunas role if Tinsley is all of a sudden healthy, we have another PG and Carlisle is the coach? "If this is the problem, then this is pleasant problem to have" (RC quote)? Three PG's is too much to make everybody happy.

Seed
05-11-2006, 05:02 AM
I find it puzzling.

1. Sarunas is also not quick enough
2. He belongs to this league, but fails to do it under Carlisle, which is obvious from LB comments
3. Jamal is fragile and from LB comments one may suspect, that he also lacks post-season work ethics thus failing to prepare his body for the season. He is simply unpredictable with regards to his condition.

All above summs up that I can not picture our back-court comming in next season. Trading AJ does not answer the question whether our back-court is quick and durable, unless we get quick and durable PG in exchange to AJ or anybody else. Then we again start going in circles - what is Sarunas role if Tinsley is all of a sudden healthy, we have another PG and Carlisle is the coach? "If this is the problem, then this is pleasant problem to have" (RC quote)? Three PG's is too much to make everybody happy.

I agree with all your points. Something is out of logic here.
TPTB are prolly confused as us.

RWB
05-11-2006, 08:17 AM

Sounds very reasonable and I wonder if the Ps are thinking they will have to throw in a productive/cheap salary player like AJ to move Jack in a trade?

BillS
05-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Without reading later replies...

I'm not as fixated on getting a starter or blockbuster trade. I just want the players mixed up so the chemistry can get fixed. I'll take a slightly less talented team in exchange for one that plays hard and gives us a chance to add the necessary pieces.

SJax - gone.
Tinsley - gone.
Jermaine - stay.
AJ - stay.
Saras - stay.
Peja - stay.
Granger - stay at all costs.
Croshere - stay unless his contract gets us something spectacular.
Harrison - stay if possible.
Foster - stay.
Pollard - stay if possible.
FJones - go if it helps another deal.
Gill - whatever

I would be absolutely fine with a starting lineup out of training camp of:

AJ
Peja
Danny
JO
Hulk

I'd like better if we could get it but I don't want to hang onto Tinsley and Jax because we're afraid of this lineup. I don't think it would boom out of the gate as a clear 60-game winner, but I think it is the best way to mix up what the team is doing. We'd have defensive issues but guess what - team defense can be taught.

Slick Pinkham
05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Fred, Peja, Scot, and Gill are free agents and Bird says that we have two free agents that we need to re-sign.

Gill obviously isn't one, but either Scot or Fred must also be a FA that we don't plan to try much to re-sign.

Gamble
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Without reading later replies...

I'm not as fixated on getting a starter or blockbuster trade. I just want the players mixed up so the chemistry can get fixed. I'll take a slightly less talented team in exchange for one that plays hard and gives us a chance to add the necessary pieces.

SJax - gone.
Tinsley - gone.
Jermaine - stay.
AJ - stay.
Saras - stay.
Peja - stay.
Granger - stay at all costs.
Croshere - stay unless his contract gets us something spectacular.
Harrison - stay if possible.
Foster - stay.
Pollard - stay if possible.
FJones - go if it helps another deal.
Gill - whatever

I would be absolutely fine with a starting lineup out of training camp of:

AJ
Peja
Danny
JO
Hulk

I'd like better if we could get it but I don't want to hang onto Tinsley and Jax because we're afraid of this lineup. I don't think it would boom out of the gate as a clear 60-game winner, but I think it is the best way to mix up what the team is doing. We'd have defensive issues but guess what - team defense can be taught.

Hate to point out the obvious square peg into the round hole
theory but Danny/Peja are 3's. Larry even said Danny was a 3
and should play the 3.

Will Galen
05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Fred, Peja, Scot, and Gill are free agents and Bird says that we have two free agents that we need to re-sign.

Gill obviously isn't one, but either Scot or Fred must also be a FA that we don't plan to try much to re-sign.

You obviously along with others didn't read the full transcript of Bird's press conference. In it he of course says he wants to resign both Pollard and Peja. He also says about Fred, Q. What are your plans for Fred Jones?

A. We're going to see what his market value is and we'll go from there. We want to re-sign him but we'll just wait and see what kind of offers he gets.

RWB
05-11-2006, 10:06 AM

A. I'd like to have Danny all summer for myself. There's a lot of things he can improve on. Obviously he's a very talented player, but Danny and David Harrison know what they have to do. David's been here the last two years and he's going to be here all summer and he works very, very hard. He likes this work. He likes to do things to try to get better and he's really improved. Danny, his ballhandling, I think he's falling in love with the three too much. I'd like to see him post up like he did in college. He's got all the tools. He's just got to sharpen them up a little bit.

THis to me was the one thing of possible importance that came out. I'm hopeful TPTB have finally come to the conclusion that some of these guys could really benefit from one on one coaching. After seeing the improvement JJ had following Reggie's lead I can only hope DG listens to everything Bird can plant in his brain. Of course if Bird gets Parrish and Walton to lend a hand with Hulk, then I may actually have to lean toward the sunshine side.

bulletproof
05-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Very good post, Hicks.

OnlyPacersLeft
05-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I really hope we don't let freddie go...he's a hidden gem I think.

OnlyPacersLeft
05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
btw let me add a F-U to peja...don't let the door hit you *@Y%%*!

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I tend to agree that the Pacers cannot get any of the big name free agents. But have the Pacers ever had any money to go after any of the top free agents. Have they ever tried to get a top free agent.

microwave_oven
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
um...no, never

Will Galen
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I tend to agree that the Pacers cannot get any of the big name free agents. But have the Pacers ever had any money to go after any of the top free agents. Have they ever tried to get a top free agent.

They tried hard to get McGrady.

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM

As a free agent or in a trade.

I wasn't aware they tried to sign T-Mac when he left Toronto. But I could be wrong

bulletproof
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Although the offer seems comical now.

bulletproof
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
As a free agent or in a trade.

Trade.

Hicks
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
That was through a trade.

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Is it too late to nominate this thread for "thread of the year"

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Do Ricky Pierce and Eddie Johnson count?

Dwayne Schintzius?

Saras?

We've never really even tried for mid-tier FAs. We use the MLE on our own players. Just once I'd like to see the team add a medium-priced veteran role player (think: when JO was begging for Jon Barry and he would've been a great fit for this team).

We missed out on Matt Bullard once. :banghead:

I think I've proven somebody's point here.

Anthem
05-11-2006, 10:34 AM
He wasn't a free agent, that was a trade.

Anthem
05-11-2006, 10:36 AM
We've never really even tried for mid-tier FAs. We use the MLE on our own players. Just once I'd like to see the team add a medium-priced veteran role player (think: when JO was begging for Jon Barry and he would've been a great fit for this team).
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

I'm right there with Jay on this one. Clear a little salary so we don't go over the LT, but use that MLE! It's there for a reason!

Anthem
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
How so? You think Ron and Harrington wouldn't have been a better deal than Franchise?

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 10:38 AM
How so? You think Ron and Harrington wouldn't have been a better deal than Franchise?

Maybe, but I thought it was Ron + Bender.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

I'm right there with Jay on this one. Clear a little salary so we don't go over the LT, but use that MLE! It's there for a reason!

Let's go way back in history. When the team already had Derrick and Sam, they locked up a lot of money and years in Duanne Ferrell, a guy that only played well against us. And that move kept us from pursuing some other FAs that might've helped us.

Because our management philosophy has been to overpay the players we draft/ develop to keep them in Indy, we've never had a chance to try our luck at pursuing guys like Brent Barry, Donyell Marshall, Cliff Robinson, Voshen Lenard, guys that really could've helped us out at the time they were FAs.

grace
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Don't go out on that ledge, Jay. Rimfire is already on it and you may both tumble.

Not to worry. I already fell, jumped off so I'll break your fall. Just another example of how I'm willing to take one, five, ten, a thousand for this worthless team.

Doug in CO
05-11-2006, 10:51 AM

Wasn't it Bender and Artest for McGrady?

Who balked... not us... or was it?

ChicagoJ
05-11-2006, 10:53 AM

McGrady said he wanted to go to Houston so the offer was tabled and Houston came up with something the Magic liked. I think Weisbrod even said he had better initial offers but he only really negotiated with the Rockets.

grace
05-11-2006, 11:08 AM

Yes, he should. It's too bad the only vacant head coaching job at the moment is Sacramento.

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Here is an old Vescey column discussing what we offered the Magic for T-Mac

YOu know after reading this again, I think Chad Ford had an article about who the Pacers "really" offered

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4290

grace
05-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm trying to understand Larry's vision of this team.

I really don't see it.

Maybe you should try looking through an empty bottle of Larry's wine. :alcohol:

BillS
05-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Hate to point out the obvious square peg into the round hole
theory but Danny/Peja are 3's. Larry even said Danny was a 3
and should play the 3.

Well, he said either Peja or Danny (if you read carefully the antecedent isn't completely clear) can play 3 positions, and since I doubt he was talking about Point or Center that means some time at 2 for one or the other. Defense at 2 isn't an issue with Bird because he says Danny can defend the 2.

It isn't a perfect lineup because it lacks a real 2, but I still think it's a good one hustle-wise. It gives us what we need from a 2 and isn't extremely out of position for either one.

If you can have a point forward why not a shooting forward?

Anthem
05-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe you should try looking through an empty bottle of Larry's wine. :alcohol:
No thanks, I can't even take the smell of Two Buck Chuck.

bulletproof
05-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Yeah, the offer was Ron + Jon for McGrady. Orlando said no.

EDIT: And just to clarify, I meant comical as in Ron and Bender for anyone of that caliber is comical.

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Here is a thread about Adelman being critical of Brad Miller

I got to go

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12608

PacerMan
05-11-2006, 04:24 PM
You obviously along with others didn't read the full transcript of Bird's press conference. In it he of course says he wants to resign both Pollard and Peja. He also says about Fred, Q. What are your plans for Fred Jones?

Dollars to donuts he signs elsewhere, stays healthy ALL season, gets the 6th man award and has a big playoff.......................................

PacerMan
05-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Tried hard to get Chris Webber, tried to get a center (Shaq?) interested, was a rumor they pursued Karl Malone a bit.

CableKC
05-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, he said either Peja or Danny (if you read carefully the antecedent isn't completely clear) can play 3 positions, and since I doubt he was talking about Point or Center that means some time at 2 for one or the other. Defense at 2 isn't an issue with Bird because he says Danny can defend the 2.

It isn't a perfect lineup because it lacks a real 2, but I still think it's a good one hustle-wise. It gives us what we need from a 2 and isn't extremely out of position for either one.

If you can have a point forward why not a shooting forward?

Based off of what Bird said about playing the 2 through 4 spots and assuming that:

(A) Peja is resigned
(B) Foster and Harrison is not traded
(C) The Pacers will acquire through Free Agency a cheap but acceptable Center that will start but play about the same minutes as Foster
(D) Foster plays most of his 22-24 mpg ( about what he is averaging in his career ) at the backup PF spot ( but split time the remaining time at the Center Spot as the first Big Man off the Bench )

I would think that this means that Granger will split time at the Backup SG and SF spots and become the 6th man getting his 30+ minutes ( probably getting the bulk of his minutes at the backup SF spot ) and spend minimal time at the backup PF spot.

I've seen alot of comments about how Foster would be better suited to be a Backup PF then the starting Center and couldn't figure out a way to find minutes for Foster, Harrison and any new Free Agent Center that we sign and getting Granger the necessary 30+ minutes a game without making him the 6th Man.

pizza guy
05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Danny is just a straight-up ball player, so he'll get minutes where ever we need some one to take minutes. I don't have any real preference on Peja - he's good, but we've got Danny.

DeS
05-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Danny is just a straight-up ball player, so he'll get minutes where ever we need some one to take minutes. I don't have any real preference on Peja - he's good, but we've got Danny.
It's not that Peja is good - he bring the whole different dimension to the game, which we witnessed. Imo they will complement each other.

haloguy
05-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Why doesn't Larry just coach the team?
He took us to the finals