PDA

View Full Version : Here's a twist: who should win the NBA awards for being the worst?

Kstat
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Someone brought this up on the Pistons forum, and I thought it was a fantastic discussion:

1. LVP (least valuable)- The one player whose team would have been much better off without him on it. Not really "worst" player, but player who contributed most to his team's losses.

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Coach that did the least with the most talent

3. worst exec- Answer only if you think its someone other than Zeke. Otherwise its a waste of time.

4. Matador (worst defender)- Which rotation player is the absiluted biggest red carpet in the NBA?

5. Step-back player of the year- Which player's game took the biggest fall from last season?

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Which rookie bombed out the most considering where he was picked? He has to have played- Fran Vasquez doesnt count.

7. Gold watch award- Which aging veteran is hanging on too long, and needs to call it quits?

Kstat
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Here's my picks:

1. Baron Davis

2. Maurice Cheeks

4. Michael Redd

5. Larry Hughes

6. Martell Webster

7. Gary Payton

piksi
05-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Stephen Jackson

Mo Cheeks

Kevin McHale

Mike Bibby

Brad Miller

Bynam (LAL)

Clif Robinson

Pig Nash
05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
1. Steve Francis

2. Larry Brown (I know he didn't have much to work with but you could've squeezed a bit more out of that team. He was brought in to make things better but all he did was prove that it was the players in Piston land that deserved the credit)

3. drr

4. Jason Kidd

5. Jerome James

6. Yaroslav, anyone? Passing on Danger and Joey Graham?

Kstat
05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
5. Jerome James

Dropping from 4.9ppg to 3.0ppg isnt that big of a drop... :laugh:

ChicagoJ
05-09-2006, 05:54 PM
LVP - SJax

WCOY - Mike Montgomery

Worst Exec - Larry Bird wins in a tight race with Zeke

Matador - Redd. Redd. Redd.

Stepback - Tinsley

Rookie Bust - Saras :flirt:

Gold watch - Probably Payton

bulletproof
05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Who cares?

Kstat
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Fuddy duddy.

317Kim
05-09-2006, 06:02 PM
LVP-Ime Udoka

MATADOR- Miguel Rojo aka Michael Redd Sarunas Jasikevicius : innocent :

STEPBACK POY- Jiri Welsch

RBOY- Martell Webster

Gold Watch- Cliff Robinson and Gary Payton tie

BlueNGold
05-09-2006, 06:04 PM
1. LVP (least valuable)- Obviously Ron Artest. He contributed the most to any team's losses by forcing a trade and disrupting the entire season. Players went months hearing rumors they were being traded, etc, etc.

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Mo Cheeks. I almost said Pat Riley even though his team is in the second round of the playoffs...at least for now. I think he could have done more with the talent he had available.

3. worst exec- Not at all sure. I do know, however, there is a large drop-off between Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird.

4. Matador (worst defender)- Sarunus

5. Step-back player of the year - Starbury. His friend on the Pacers (SJax) stunk too.

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Marvin Williams

7. Gold watch award- Payton

sweabs
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
1. LVP (Least Valuable Player): Stephen Jackson.

2. WCOY (Worst Coach of the Year): Dwane Casey.

3. Worst Executive of the Year: Isiah Thomas.

4. Matador (Worst Defender): Damon Jones.

5. Step-Back Player of the Year: Steve Francis.

6. RBOY (Rookie Bust): Yaroslav Korolev.

7. Gold Watch Award: Gary Payton & Nick Van Exel.

DisplacedKnick
05-09-2006, 06:15 PM
1 - D@mn I'd like to pick a Knick but we're like the anti-Pistons - it was a total team effort. And so, in part as a Lifetime Achievement Award - Ron Artest.

2 - Mike Montgomery

3 - Well, uh ...

4 - Mo Taylor

5 - Kenyon Martin

6 - Marvin Williams

7 - Michael Olowakandi (not sure he's old enough for aging but enough already) Hon mention - Penny Hardaway

Deadshot
05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
5. Larry Hughes

Just curious Kstat, but are you factoring injuries into your answers? Hughes hasn't been great, but I don't think his stats are quite representative of his play either.

Jermaniac
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
1. LVP (Least Valuable Player): Chris Webber

2. WCOY (Worst Coach of the Year): Rick Carlisle

3. Worst Executive of the Year: Isiah Thomas

4. Matador (Worst Defender): Sarunas Jasikavicus

5. Step-Back Player of the Year: Baron Davis

6. RBOY (Rookie Bust): Antoine Wright

7. Gold Watch Award: Brian Grant

Kstat
05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Just curious Kstat, but are you factoring injuries into your answers? Hughes hasn't been great, but I don't think his stats are quite representative of his play either.

He hasn't been good when he's been healthy either.

His shooting sucks in a halfcourt game, his defense gets exposed when he can't gamble, and he gets out-hustled all the time.

I'm beginning to think he was a product of Washington's system more than anything.

Deadshot
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
He wasn't good when he was healthy either.

I'm beginning to think he was a product of Washington's system more than anything.

I suppose so, but I just figured we should give him a little more time to fit in with that team. He won't be Lebron's "Pippen," but I think he can give something much needed to that team.

EDIT: I see you elaborated on your post after first posting it. I don't know if I agree with everything there, but you do bring up some good points to ponder.

Los Angeles
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
1) John Edwards
2) John Edwards' coach
3) John Edwards' GM
4) John Edwards
5) John Edwards
6) John Edwards last year
7) John Edwards should call it quits.

(John, if you're reading this, I'm just playin. I wish I were as good as you.)

Shade
05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Someone brought this up on the Pistons forum, and I thought it was a fantastic discussion:

1. LVP (least valuable)- The one player whose team would have been much better off without him on it. Not really "worst" player, but player who contributed most to his team's losses.

3. worst exec- Answer only if you think its someone other than Zeke. Otherwise its a waste of time.

4. Matador (worst defender)- Which rotation player is the absiluted biggest red carpet in the NBA?

5. Step-back player of the year- Which player's game took the biggest fall from last season?

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Which rookie bombed out the most considering where he was picked? He has to have played- Fran Vasquez doesnt count.

7. Gold watch award- Which aging veteran is hanging on too long, and needs to call it quits?

1) Shandon Anderson (maybe not, but I'm still holding a grudge from '98)
2) Larry Brown
3) Zeke
4) Mike Bibby
5) Baron Davis
6) Marvin Williams
7) Gary Payton

microwave_oven
05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
LVP - Starbury

WCOY - Either of Seattle's coaches

Worst Exec - Zeke

Matador - The Washington Wizards

Stepback - Tracy McGrady/Shaq

Rookie Bust - Martell Webster

Gold watch - Gary Payton

btowncolt
05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Jamaal Tinsley

Mike Davis

Bill Polian

Sarunas Jasikevicius

Stephen Jackson

Marvin Williams

Jamaal Tinsley

indygeezer
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Wait! SOmethings wrong here. I just went thru this whole thread and there wasn't one single vote for Pacers Gurl in here.

Suddenly I feel the world spinning about me. This cannot be real.

Skaut_Ech
05-10-2006, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I'm with Blu N Gold...It's Ron-Ron

Mike Montgomery. Golden State should have been waAAy better than it was. Look at that roster. In a way, they are more talented than us, but look at how they played. A waste.

Aww, come on, folks. Isiah may suck when it comes to cap management, but at least he has a team on the floor you can work with, despite Larry Brown's meltdown this year. Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee? He made another good pick in Ariza the year before. He at least has the cogs for a decent team. Marbury and Francis, former all stars..Curry..Mo Taylor...he has a nice team, just an erratic, odd coach.

Billy Knight, on the other hand, has done some wierd stuff in the name of laying the foundation for cap room and bulding a better team? He picked up Marvin Williams wheh they wre in desperate need of a PG. Deron Williams? Chris Paul? HelloOoo??:dunce:

Oops. We need a PG. I know, let's trade away Boris Diaw :dunce: AND two draft picks to pick up Joe Johnson, who wasn't even a PG, but that's where they want him to play. :confused: Oh, yeah, let's help force out the owner who tried to stop the deal becasue he said it was too much money to give a guy who hasn't played PG plus losing the picks.

Jason Terry? Yeah, the one spear-heading the Mavs great season? Basically traded him away for nothing.

Kight has shredded that team and what does he have to show for it? Look at their roster. He has mismanaged that team into a collection of youngsters with no direction and no veteran talent to lead them...save Harrington.

4. Matador (worst defender)- Which rotation player is the absoluted biggest red carpet in the NBA?

I'm going to say Antoine Walker. His footspeed is phenominally slow. He can't use his size to D up, body up players, yet doesn't have the speed to keep up with them. Old her gets, the sloooowwweerrr he gets.

I don't mean to be mean, but Korolev is my vote. Yeah, he's only 18, but even with all the injuries and depleted roster at times this season, he was a ghost on the floor. Didn't do much..couldn't do much. Frail and clueless.

It's embarrassing to watch Gary Payton. He gets torched on D and looks slow on O and his range has gotten even shorter.

Wait! SOmethings wrong here. I just went thru this whole thread and there wasn't one single vote for Pacers Gurl in here.

:thumbsup: :chuckle:

Kstat
05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Here's my thing with Montgomery:

Look at their record with Baron Davis and with monta Ellis at PG.

I think Baron contributed to their losses more than the coach. WIth Ellis in there, they were actually a good team.

Skaut_Ech
05-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Here's my thing with Montgomery:

Look at their record with Baron Davis and with monta Ellis at PG.

I think Baron contributed to their losses more than the coach. WIth Ellis in there, they were actually a good team.

Yeah, I thougt about that. I read where the players would PREFER Ellis, but the coach says he's not sure if he's PG material. That sealed the deal for me. MAybe the guy does't have an eye for how to use people.

DisplacedKnick
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
What I want to ask is this: Everyone who voted voted for Martell Webster as a bust after starting 19 games as a number 6 pick out of HS and at least showing something, I hope you thought Jon Bender was the worst draft pick in NBA history after his rookie season after being picked at 5.

05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
1. LVP (least valuable)- Stephen Jackson

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Larry Brown

4. Matador (worst defender)- Fatoine Walker

5. Step-back player of the year - STAR-bury

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Marvin Williams

7. Gold watch award- Gary Payton

Kstat
05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
What I want to ask is this: Everyone who voted voted for Martell Webster as a bust after starting 19 games as a number 6 pick out of HS and at least showing something, I hope you thought Jon Bender was the worst draft pick in NBA history after his rookie season after being picked at 5.

It's a not a career judgement award, Rim. It's an award judged on this season only. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

FrenchConnection
05-10-2006, 05:07 PM
1. LVP (least valuable)- Steve Francis

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Seattle tandem

4. Matador (worst defender)- Steve Nash

5. Step-back player of the year - Yao

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Saras

7. Gold watch award- The Glove

t1hs0n
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
1. LVP (least valuable)- Stevie Francis (on two teams)

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Larry "pay day" Brown

4. Matador (worst defender)- Fatoine Walker

5. Step-back player of the year - Artest ('Cus he step-ed back into his old roll as a team distroyer)

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Bracy Wright

7. Gold watch award- Gary Payton

Also I would like to send foward a motion to rename the worst exec award to: "The Isiah Thomas Memorial Trophy"

Sollozzo
05-10-2006, 05:44 PM
It's funny, just 3 seasons ago, Payton was arguably still a top 2 or 3 point guard. He was still a premier player when the Sonics traded him to Milwaukee in 2003. Still was good for 20 a night. Alot of teams wanted him, hell I wanted him badly here.

It's unbelivable how quickly a player can age.

DisplacedKnick
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
It's a not a career judgement award, Rim. It's an award judged on this season only. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Do you not know what the term "bust" means when it's used in reference to a player?

Kstat
05-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Do you not know what the term "bust" means when it's used in reference to a player?

Call it rookie disappointment if you like. Its just a freaking word.

microwave_oven
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I think someone needs a hug.

SamBear
05-10-2006, 11:48 PM

Suddenly I feel the world spinning about me. This cannot be real.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Robertmto
05-11-2006, 12:01 AM
6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Bracy Wright

What??? He was a second round pick and he led the D-League in scoring! Did u expect him to led the NBA in scoring or something??? Cuz the T-Wolves knew he wasn't ready for the league this year. He had no hype, how was he a bust???

8.9_seconds
05-11-2006, 01:16 AM
1. LVP (least valuable)- Obviously Ron Artest. He contributed the most to any team's losses by forcing a trade and disrupting the entire season. Players went months hearing rumors they were being traded, etc, etc.

No, The Pacers contributed the most to their own losses, not Ron Artest.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/Craz_lp/PD/RonScapegoat.jpg

8.9_seconds
05-11-2006, 01:19 AM
I refuse to vote for Gary, Never!!!!!!!

He's sassy and loveable.....ok maybe just to me.

SwissExpress
05-11-2006, 07:51 AM
1. Steve Francis

2. Larry Brown (I know he didn't have much to work with but you could've squeezed a bit more out of that team. He was brought in to make things better but all he did was prove that it was the players in Piston land that deserved the credit)

3. drr

4. Jason Kidd

5. Jerome James

6. Yaroslav, anyone? Passing on Danger and Joey Graham?

Jason Kidd - the worst defender in the NBA??

SwissExpress
05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
LVP - Wally Sczerbiak

WCOY - Mike Montgomery

Worst Exec - Hard to say. John Nash (for Portland's problems)/Billy King (for cap situation and results)/Chris Mullin (for not trading for Artest)/Billy Knight (for Chris Paul)
I won't say Walsh/McHale/Zeke as they at least did try to solve their problems during the year.

Matador - I don't know.

Stepback - Shaq.

Rookie Bust - If we count undrafted rookies too, it would be Macijauskas. He was expected to be a starter or smth close to it by the NO press in summer. I'm not sure it's only his fault, though.
If we don't - Martell Webster.

Gold watch - I actually enjoy them all. I would even like to see Kemp and Rodman back.

Anxiety
05-11-2006, 08:54 AM
1. LVP (least valuable)- SJac

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Larry Brown

3. worst exec- Rob Babcock (cudos to him for drafting Villanueva but everything else was just :loser2: )

4. Matador (worst defender)- Mike Bibby

5. Step-back player of the year- Shaq

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Marvin WIlliams

7. Gold watch award- Payton<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

dannyboy
05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
1. LVP (least valuable): Kwame Brown

2. WCOY (worst coach): Jeff Van Gundy

3. worst exec: Pat Riley

4. Matador (worst defender): Steve Nash

5. Step-back player of the year: Steve Francis

6. RBOY (Rookie bust): Sean May

7. Gold watch award: Vin Baker<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Since86
05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
6. RBOY (Rookie bust): Sean May

The same Sean May, that only played 23 games because of injury?

Who still averaged 8pts. and nearly 5 rebs.?

It may have been a disappointing season for him, but not anywhere near the bottom.

dannyboy
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
That wasn't really an observation on his rookie campaign, but more of a projection of his NBA career and how I think it'll compare to guys taken after him like Graham, Granger, and Green.

I see that wasn't really the question, so I'll say C.J. Miles for going to the NBA (NBDL) instead of playing for Texas and eventually becoming a 1st rd pick.

Evan_The_Dude
05-11-2006, 11:28 PM
1. LVP - Jamal Tinsley (think about why...)

2. WCOY - Mike Montgomery

3. Worst Exec. - John Nash

4. Matador - Mike Dunleavy Jr.

5. Latrell Sprewell (LOL)

6. Rookie Bust - Martell Webster

7. Gold Watch - Bo Outlaw

Alpolloloco
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
1. LVP (least valuable)- SJax

2. WCOY (worst coach)- Rick Carlisle

3. worst exec- Zeke

4. Matador (worst defender)- JO

5. Step-back player of the year- JT

6. RBOY (Rookie bust)- Warrick

7. Gold watch award- Hill

Pig Nash
05-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Jason Kidd - the worst defender in the NBA??

He got special consideration for allowing AJ to look like Allen Iverson.