PDA

View Full Version : Adelman on his way out..Other's on thin ice, Don Nelson to Sactown ?

Frank Slade
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
05/08:
BY GERY WOELFEL.....

Rick Adelman’s days in Sacramento appear numbered, and there are rumblings that Washington’s Eddie Jordan, Houston’s Jeff Van Gundy and Toronto’s Sam Mitchell are walking on thin ice.

There is also growing sentiment former Bucks coach Don Nelson will end his hiatus, possibly as the Kings new coach.

http://journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?blogid=24

Moses
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
If we lose Carlisle, I'd be all for Adelman or JVG.

Kegboy
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm amazed the regular season has been over for so long and nobody's been canned yet. The high rate of turnover over the last 2 years is finally normalizing.

If Sam is out, Bernie Bickerstaff will step down as coach and hire him within an hour. Count on it.

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
The Kings would be making a huge mistake if they hired Nelson

Isaac
05-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I like JVG a lot. I'd actually prefer any of those guys over Carlisle, but I think we're gonna see TPTB keep Carlisle, and just have a massive overhaul of players. Get rid of all the guys that don't fit in with Carlisle.

Not that I agree with that however...

piksi
05-09-2006, 02:09 PM
If we hire Nelson - I will be on strike

Doug in CO
05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
I want JVG - just say NO to SVG

Shade
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Man, the Kings are setting themselves up for a MAJOR fall. Depending on Ron-Ron to deliver a championship and hiring Don freakin' Nelson? :lmao:

ChicagoJ
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I can't see Don and Ron getting along. What did Don call Ron after Ron's cheapshot against Raja Bell way back when?

Shade
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I can't see Don and Ron getting along. What did Don call Ron after Ron's cheapshot against Raja Bell way back when?

Here's all I could find:

Artest irritated Mavs coach Don Nelson before a December game at American Airlines Arena by idly spinning and dribbling a basketball during the national anthem. Then, after Artest played a starring role in what turned out to be an extremely physical seven-technical melee from which he and the Mavs' Raja Bell were both ejected, Nelson said Artest "is getting away with murder," and "Isiah just sits back and chuckles."

VF21
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in the rumors of Nelson coming to the Kings.

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
For those who want JVG and I am one of them. Keep in mind his system is remarkably similar to Rick. In fact I think it is basically the same. Jeff's personality is different, and the way he goes about things are different. But the offensive and defensive system is the same .

ChicagoJ
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Here's all I could find:

I think there's more to it.

Weren't there rumors that Ron's mid-season meeting with Stern was prompted by comments from Nellie?

Didn't Nellie say Ron was playing like a caged animal or a beast or something similar to that?

Hicks
05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
If Adelman doesn't come back to the Kings (with the media you never know if they know what they're talking about, but his contract is up so who knows), and we do fire Carlisle (or he quits), I'd like to pick him up. The offense would be night and day. I'm not convinced the defense would suck, either.

indygeezer
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Let's see.......Pollard (check).....Peja (check).....Adleman (Hmmm)....could Brad Miller be far behind?

btowncolt
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Let's see.......Pollard (check).....Peja (check).....Adleman (Hmmm)....could Brad Miller be far behind?

If you're asking him to play defense, yes.

I'll be here all night, folks.

Anxiety
05-09-2006, 04:20 PM
It seems there is a conference scheduled for 3pm pacific time to announce Rick is no longer the coach.

I just hope they get stuck with Nellie :laugh:

btowncolt
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
It seems there is a conference scheduled for 3pm pacific time to announce Rick is no longer the coach.

What? Which Rick?

indygeezer
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
What? Which Rick?

I think he means Adleman

Anxiety
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Adelman, yes. Sorry.

btowncolt
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Adelman, yes. Sorry.

Tease!

Anxiety
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Tease!

Lol :) My apologies.

piksi
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
It is official

Frank Slade
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
It is official
:nod:

Source: Adelman out as Kings coach
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 1:09 pm PDT Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Rick Adelman compiled a 395-229 regular-season record
during eight seasons with the Kings.
Sacramento Bee/Randy Pench

The Rick Adelman era in Sacramento is over.
According to inside sources, Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is expected to announce at a 3 p.m. news conference today that the coach who led them to eight consecutive playoff berths will not be back next season.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14253323p-15069206c.html

Let the Domino's begin to fall...... :eyebrow:

Doug in CO
05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Guess Ron won't be playing for free

Bball
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Guess Ron won't be playing for free

LMAO!!!

-Bball

SoupIsGood
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
SIGN ADELMAN!!!!!!

!ADELMANIA!

Isaac
05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I think Adleman would have worked well with the group of players we had this past season, but who knows what type of players we'll have next year?

It's hard to comment on what type of coach you want when you don't know that.

Anxiety
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Well good luck to who ever ends up as the Kings coach in dealing with Ron.

Bball
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
So far, Pacer players (or former players) are 0-2 with success at trying their own version of the Jimmie Chitwood speech to save their coach.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
If JVG loses his job, it is a crime.

btowncolt
05-09-2006, 05:00 PM
If JVG loses his job, it is a crime.

Yeah, firing a coach because his team was crippled by injuries does seem a little obtuse.

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 05:05 PM
?

Didn't Nellie say Ron was playing like a caged animal or a beast or something similar to that?

yes

SoupIsGood
05-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah, firing a coach because his team was crippled by injuries does seem a little obtuse.

Uh..... er.... no one asked you. :-p

sweabs
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that we become involved in the Rick Adelman talks. I love watching his teams play, and most importantly I think him and Larry would mesh much better in terms of a common vision for this team.

blanket
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that we become involved in the Rick Adelman talks. I love watching his teams play, and most importantly I think him and Larry would mesh much better in terms of a common vision for this team.

How would that affect management's attempt to re-sign Peja? Anyone know the relationship he had with Adelman?

I'd just as well not see either of them with the Pacers next Fall.

Frank Slade
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM
How would that affect management's attempt to re-sign Peja? Anyone know the relationship he had with Adelman?

I'd just as well not see either of them with the Pacers next Fall.

You read my mind on that one... that can could certainly weigh in on that decision. be it positive or negative.

piksi
05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Rick Adelman made Pedja the player he is now in the NBA. There would be no problems whatsoever. Rick is a players coach. He stood by Pedja till the last moment. You add the "princtone offense" and everything is a non issue really

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Adelman was very sorry to see Peja go. The impression I got is RA did not want to make that trade.

piksi
05-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Adelman was very sorry to see Peja go. The impression I got is RA did not want to make that trade.

he likes to work with what is comfortable with including players - just like any other coach

bulletproof
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey, why not hire RA and bring back Brad Miller and we can be the Kings of the East. Ack.

Believe_in_blue
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
he likes to work with what is comfortable with including players - just like any other coach
I think thats exactly what we need here.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Well good luck to who ever ends up as the Kings coach in dealing with Ron. Well just to complete the circle of life and to put a warm fuzzy in our thoughts, let's assume just for a moment, that it's Carlisle.

ChicagoJ
05-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Ooooh!! That would be fun!

DisplacedKnick
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
LOL - a new coach gets Ron Artest? This should be fun.

And I don't know what Houston's record was when Yao and T-Mac were in the lineup together but I know it was pretty good - and they had other injuries besides. They're idiots if they let JVG go.

CableKC
05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Man, the Kings are setting themselves up for a MAJOR fall. Depending on Ron-Ron to deliver a championship and hiring Don freakin' Nelson? :lmao:
I was listening to Sports 1140...a SacTown Kings radio station...and they were commenting that once the Maloofs took on Artest......they also took on any problems that he may have with any potentially new coaching staff ( duh ). Specifically...they commented that if Artest developed a relationship with Adelman ( a coach known for working well with "problemed" children ) in the short time that he played for him and Kings Management decided to part ways with Adelman...the Maloofs would have to make sure that the coach that they ultimately hired would be able to get along...or at least met with some type of approval from Artest....just to make sure that there would be no issues that arise from any coaching/player relationship.

I think that the Maloofs forgot to read the very fine-microscopic print about what it means to have Artest on your team.

ChicagoJ
05-09-2006, 07:04 PM
I think it says...

Artest is a Coach Killer

Evan_The_Dude
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Mistake #1. Getting rid of the coach Artest stuck up for. Why? If you hire the wrong guy, you're f**ked!

CableKC
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Mistake #1. Getting rid of the coach Artest stuck up for. Why? If you hire the wrong guy, you're f**ked!
I think that is also in the fine print of the trade negotiations....Donnie probably left it at home when they met with the Maloofs.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I saw this coming. However, I think they should have given him one more year. But then again, maybe they couldn't do that because he would want a multi-year extension. The Maloofs are gamblers, should be interesting to see what happens with them next year.

pizza guy
05-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't mind Adelman. It'd be an easy transition for us because it would be one Rick to another, we'd never have to change!

Seriously though, Adelman knows offense, and I love his offense. The problem is that you lose some defense when you hire Adelman. The players could be had that would be able to maintain a defensive intensity (they're not here now) while still being effective in Adelman's offense.

Who I'd really like to see though is JVG. Dude knows how to coach, and if Houston fires him for an injury-riden team, they're completely stupid. Yes, his game is a lot like RC's, but it's his personality - the fighter, the yeller, intensity - that I really like. I'd absolutely LOVE to have JVG.

indygeezer
05-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mind Adelman. It'd be an easy transition for us because it would be one Rick to another, we'd never have to change!

Seriously though, Adelman knows offense, and I love his offense. The problem is that you lose some defense when you hire Adelman. The players could be had that would be able to maintain a defensive intensity (they're not here now) while still being effective in Adelman's offense.

Who I'd really like to see though is JVG. Dude knows how to coach, and if Houston fires him for an injury-riden team, they're completely stupid. Yes, his game is a lot like RC's, but it's his personality - the fighter, the yeller, intensity - that I really like. I'd absolutely LOVE to have JVG.

There is just something about using his shorthand initials RA that sends shivers up my back.

pizza guy
05-09-2006, 09:13 PM
There is just something about using his shorthand initials RA that sends shivers up my back.

A very good point....*shudder*

piksi
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Before You complain about Adelmans defense just look at Kings defensive stats in 2002 and 2003.

Anxiety
05-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Before You complain about Adelmans defense just look at Kings defensive stats in 2002 and 2003.

Took the words out my mouth. I think Kings were top 3 (if not 1st) in both years.

GO!!!!!
05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Having Vlade, Webber and Christie can alllow you to be a good defencive team...

Kingsfanbmiller
05-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Oh god... I really wish the Maloofs knew something about basketball.

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Having Vlade, Webber and Christie can alllow you to be a good defencive team...

Exactly. Although Webber was never a great defender, before all his injuries he was pretty good. But don't forget Bobby Jackson, he was an excellent defender.

Fool
05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Shocking that good defensive teams would have good defenders.

SycamoreKen
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I think Adelman got the most out of his teams though. They went to the playoffs 8 straight years and were usually a tough out. Had he had the same team in the East he probably goes to the finals at least twice.

Unclebuck
05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Shocking that good defensive teams would have good defenders.

Well. that isn't always the case. In fact I argue that good defensive teams are coached by good defensive coaches.

it isn't any accident the certain coaches have excellent defensive teams every year. Certainly having good or great defenders make a difference. But I guarantee you that JVG, Popovich, Fratello, Skiles are always going to have excellent defensive teams. or at the very least they will maximize their players defensive talents into as good of a defensive team as they possibly could be.

piksi
05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I think Adelman got the most out of his teams though. They went to the playoffs 8 straight years and were usually a tough out. Had he had the same team in the East he probably goes to the finals at least twice.

injuries just killed us

Fool
05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Well. that isn't always the case. In fact I argue that good defensive teams are coached by good defensive coaches.

it isn't any accident the certain coaches have excellent defensive teams every year. Certainly having good or great defenders make a difference. But I guarantee you that JVG, Popovich, Fratello, Skiles are always going to have excellent defensive teams. or at the very least they will maximize their players defensive talents into as good of a defensive team as they possibly could be.

So either they coached a team with good defense, or the bad defense wasn't their fault as it was the best those players could do. What a terribly difficult position for you to defend.

Pop has always had a dominant big man (and sometimes 2). So tough to have a good defense when your middle is never vulnerable. Same with JVG. Skiles and Fratello I'll give you.

However, IMO the real test of a coach isn't whether he can pick half of the game and get his team to play it well. But rather, if he can get his team to excel at one without crippling the other to do so. Here's a question. How many of JVG's wonderfully coached defensive teams have been better than even half of the league at offense? Not many, I'm sure.

Downtown Threat
05-10-2006, 12:31 AM
I was just about to post that.