PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle on Full Court Press.......

MagicRat
05-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't have any recording equipment with me and didn't hear the whole thing, but Rick was on FCP just a little while ago. Most of what I heard was about the Nets-Heat matchup. Rick seems to be leaning toward the Nets.

They may have talked more about the Pacers at the beginning of the interview, but they did talk about them a little bit at the end.

--------------------------------

Ian Eagle: Rick, what did you learn about your team in this postseason, other than the fact that Anthony Johnson may not be human? My gosh, he was unbelievable. He was unbelievable. Off the charts good.

Rick Carlisle: Yeah, he was great. You know, I guess what I learned was when we're whole and have all of our guys, you know, we have a team that was very hard to beat. You know, (when) we had everybody available, you know, we won two games. And when we were without Stojakovic, and then it became Foster was out, too. And we never had Tinsley in the series. You know, it's tougher for your team.

You know, the one thing that I think is essential to being a successful playoff team, you know, is to have quickness and the ability to get the ball places and, you know, without having Jamaal Tinsley healthy we just never had that dimension and Anthony Johnson played, you know, out of this world and you have to give him credit for one thing: he has gotten better every year he's been in this league and now it's, I think he's in his tenth year or tenth going on eleventh next year. You've got to give him a lot of credit, because he stepped up huge in game 6 and almost single handedly willed us to a victory, which would have been great.

Kenny Smith: Yeah, no question about it. You know and the one thing that....as great as Anthony Johnson played, like you said, the dimension which Tinsley brings, he still couldn't bring that, because Tinsley is a different type of player. He likes to get into the lane. He likes to do the floater and he likes to find people on the penetration and pitch, where Anthony Johnson is more of a perimeter player and he will get in the lane, but not really the same. He's not a penetrator, so to speak, as Jamaal Tinsley, which they never got that look.

RC: Yeah, and for us I think one of the things that would have been an effective lineup would have been to have a healthy Tinsley at one and AJ at two and there you're getting some shot-making and you're getting a different kind of playmaking dimension at the two spot. And that would've, I think, opened up things a little bit more for Jermaine in terms of, you know, drive-kick opportunities for him around the rim. To catch and dunk rather than to have to, you know, bump and grind with Collins, Cliff and all those guys.

Hey, we've got to hope to get healthy this summer and come back next year and jump into this thing again. But I like the way our team competed. I like the fact that we were able to steal that one close game and had a really great game in game 3, but, you know, without all of your pieces it's really tough.

Ian: Rick, great insight. We really appreciate it. Hopefully we'll catch up with you again before the finals hit. Terrific stuff. Thanks a lot.

RC: All right. Call any time. Take care, guys.

Kenny: Good stuff!

Ian: Rick Carlisle, head coach of the Indiana Pacers joining us here on Full Court Press.........

indygeezer
05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Somebody layin the blame on injuries so the "team" doesn't come under scrutiny. Uh, that would include not scrutinizing the coaching staff BTW.

btowncolt
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
That's a pretty good, you know, synopsis. You know, thanks for doing it.

MagicRat
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
That's a pretty good, you know, synopsis. You know, thanks for doing it.

Uh, you know, I'm not even sure I got all of them in there, you know, but I think I caught, like, uh, most of them, you know, because I bring a dimension of quickness, you know, with my typing skills, that most posters can't, you know, bring.......

Indyfan
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
When does it just become a fact and not an excuse that we didn't have all of our players, includung 3 projected starters? Sure you can look at it like he's making excuses to cover his hide, but RC has never complained about or made excuses with all that happened the past two years. He always said we go to battle with who we have available and at times he didn't know until an hour before game time who that would be.

There is a lot to be scrutinized, but we also can't ignore the fact that we were completely undermanned. Could you imagine Detroit without 3 starters? Take Billups, Prince and Ben? Those are the positions we were underamnned at. We didn't have all of our talent available most of the year for Rick to work with, these guys seldom had the same starters for more then a couple of games at a time before another went down or another came back. Jamaal can be a difference maker if he is healthy, I have lost all confidence in him staying healthy, but don't blame Rick for pointing it out.

Anthem
05-08-2006, 02:52 PM
There is a lot to be scrutinized, but we also can't ignore the fact that we were completely undermanned. Could you imagine Detroit without 3 starters? Take Billups, Prince and Ben? Those are the positions we were underamnned at.
If the Pistons were missing three starters for the better part of 2 years, I'm fairly certain that Joe D would ship them out and bring in somebody else.

Remember, Larry, it's "WWJDD?"

Indyfan
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree that Tins has to go after two years of breaking down, but Peja is a question mark at this point, and Jeff has tried to play through his injuries, also with our center position it was more a group of injured players with Pollard and Cro factered in too.

I don't know what to think of Peja and his not trying to play through it, no idea if it was really that bad, but Bird loves the guy and he will prob. be back.

The question I have is what has Joe D done to have such amazing good luck with his team staying injury free? They had the same starters all season except for a one game suspension to Rasheed. Wish we could have even half that much luck!

naptownmenace
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
If the Pistons were missing three starters for the better part of 2 years, I'm fairly certain that Joe D would ship them out and bring in somebody else.

That is priceless!!!

Everytime I hear that the Pacers were missing Tinsley, I keep asking myself... "Missing what?"

Tinsley misses more wide open 3's than anyone not named Antoine Walker. Yeah he can penetrate the lane like the Jet said but he blows more layups than any starting point guard in the NBA. Believe me, I'd rather have AJ matched up against the likes of Billups, Kidd, and Arenas over Tinsley - especially during the playoffs.

The Pacers should've traded him at the trade deadline for a big man or even a 1st round pick.

Robertmto
05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Tinsley misses more wide open 3's than anyone not named Antoine Walker.

Or Jason Williams

Pacersfan.
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
2 words...Tony Parker...weep.

Lord Helmet
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
2 words...Tony Parker...weep.
Yeah, can you believe they took Jamaal "Mr. Injury" Tinsley over Parker?

Pathetic.

Kegboy
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
For those who found the original transcript unreadable, I removed the you know whats.

Ian Eagle: Rick, what did you learn about your team in this postseason, other than the fact that Anthony Johnson may not be human? My gosh, he was unbelievable. He was unbelievable. Off the charts good.

Rick Carlisle: Yeah, he was great. I guess what I learned was when we're whole and have all of our guys, we have a team that was very hard to beat. (When) we had everybody available, we won two games. And when we were without Stojakovic, and then it became Foster was out, too. And we never had Tinsley in the series. It's tougher for your team.

The one thing that I think is essential to being a successful playoff team, is to have quickness and the ability to get the ball places and, without having Jamaal Tinsley healthy we just never had that dimension and Anthony Johnson played, out of this world and you have to give him credit for one thing: he has gotten better every year he's been in this league and now it's, I think he's in his tenth year or tenth going on eleventh next year. You've got to give him a lot of credit, because he stepped up huge in game 6 and almost single handedly willed us to a victory, which would have been great.

Kenny Smith: Yeah, no question about it. The one thing that....as great as Anthony Johnson played, like you said, the dimension which Tinsley brings, he still couldn't bring that, because Tinsley is a different type of player. He likes to get into the lane. He likes to do the floater and he likes to find people on the penetration and pitch, where Anthony Johnson is more of a perimeter player and he will get in the lane, but not really the same. He's not a penetrator, so to speak, as Jamaal Tinsley, which they never got that look.

RC: Yeah, and for us I think one of the things that would have been an effective lineup would have been to have a healthy Tinsley at one and AJ at two and there you're getting some shot-making and you're getting a different kind of playmaking dimension at the two spot. And that would've, I think, opened up things a little bit more for Jermaine in terms of drive-kick opportunities for him around the rim. To catch and dunk rather than to have to, bump and grind with Collins, Cliff and all those guys.

Hey, we've got to hope to get healthy this summer and come back next year and jump into this thing again. But I like the way our team competed. I like the fact that we were able to steal that one close game and had a really great game in game 3, but without all of your pieces it's really tough.

Ian: Rick, great insight. We really appreciate it. Hopefully we'll catch up with you again before the finals hit. Terrific stuff. Thanks a lot.

RC: All right. Call any time. Take care, guys.

Kenny: Good stuff!

Ian: Rick Carlisle, head coach of the Indiana Pacers joining us here on Full Court Press.........

tate
05-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Ship them out for what? The Pistons would not be very good if they traded 3 starters for players that are only half as good, thats all you are gonna get. Unless there is some magical team that I don't know about that trades good players that stay healthy for good players that don't.

Anthem
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Ship them out for what? The Pistons would not be very good if they traded 3 starters for players that are only half as good, thats all you are gonna get. Unless there is some magical team that I don't know about that trades good players that stay healthy for good players that don't.
The first step in building a successful franchise is to obtain blackmail material on the owners of the Celtics and Hawks.

NorCal_Pacerfan
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Trade Tinsley already and be done with it. Maybe they are just propping him up in order to make him, um er, trade worthy. If TPTB still have hope in Tinsley, then I'm losing hope in TPTB.

owl
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Rankng the players as far as who is shipped out first I come up with the
following list.....

1-Tinsley(Injured all the time and I do not like his game)

2-Jackson(Has talent but is a killer to team chemistry with his insubordination
and carping at the refs)

3-Any body else on the Pacers

4-Danny Granger-Best all round player on the team, by next year.

owl