PDA

View Full Version : Does this team need any more picks?

Young
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Does anyone feel that with all our needs and the lack of cap room and great trading pieces we are better off trying to get another first round pick or two?

For example, we need some more athleticism and defense at the 2 and a guy like Rudy Fernandez would be a nearly perfect fit for this team.

We also could use another shooter so Quincy Douby would be nice. (size and lack of explosivness hurts him though.) Richard Roby could also help us out in this department.

We also could use another big man or two. Saer Sene or Tiago Splitter would be good additions.

Or we could use another point guard for the future so either Kyle Lowery or Jordan Farmer would make solid additions.

I really don't have any ideas on how we can get another 1rst round pick but I think since this is just a solid draft we could get another one.

What are your thoughts? Are we better off filling needs through free agency? Trades? Draft?

Anthem
05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Depends on what we're trying to do.

If there's nobody we're enamored with, I wouldn't mind including a pick to get a trade done.

SoupIsGood
05-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes! More picks.

We have nothing of great value to trade outside of JO and Granger, and they're not going anywhere.

Build through the draft! Don't trade picks away!

What if we had traded Granger's pick away last year?

vapacersfan
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes! More picks.

We have nothing of great value to trade outside of JO and Granger, and they're not going anywhere.

Build through the draft! Don't trade picks away!

What if we had traded Granger's pick away last year?

Then Isiah would have traded him before the trade deadline.

Robertmto
05-06-2006, 09:49 PM
The Pacers need to completely rebuild thru the draft. Trade players for picks, not the other way around.

Pig Nash
05-06-2006, 09:58 PM
That's what Rommie was saying, Taylor.

Peck
05-06-2006, 10:38 PM
As long as you guys are ok with the 4-5 years it will take for players from the next three drafts to mature.

owl
05-06-2006, 10:48 PM
If a combination of picks and different players could be obtained that would
be the way to go. This team needs shooters and speed and shooters
and more shooters and also a center who will defend and rebound.
However the NBA is changing to a perimeter oriented game and so
interior players have become less useful. Penetrating guards of both kinds and smaller but fast front line men are more useful.

A veteran that might help is Tim Thomas. Depends on the cost too.

JJ Reddick would be helpful

James White in the second round

The two bigs that I would like to see are
Shelden Williams and Sere Sene

I really like Terrel Everetts game. Big left handed guard who has a handle and the
ability to drive and dish. Again a second rounder

Can we kidnap Barbosa from Phoenix

owl

Kegboy
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I'd rather get future picks. Every year we get all excited about the draft, but I think this is the most shallow draft since 2000.

Anthem
05-06-2006, 11:15 PM
As long as you guys are ok with the 4-5 years it will take for players from the next three drafts to mature.
Which I'm not. I don't mind having a player or two that's developing, in fact that's my primary joy as a fan. But we need to stop being dysfunctional, and it needs to be soon.

8.9_seconds
05-07-2006, 01:46 AM
James Augustine....:whistle:

Robertmto
05-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Saer Sene looks to have a good upsode but i believe he's only been playin ball for like 3 years so he will take even longer to develop but i think he will be worth the wait!!! Pacers should take him

Mourning
05-07-2006, 03:08 AM
I'd rather get future picks. Every year we get all excited about the draft, but I think this is the most shallow draft since 2000.

That's what I was thinking aswell. I rather get a peck for nex years draft ir the year after that. This years draft isn't something to get very excited about IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Robertmto
05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
To quote Mel Kiper - "There's never a bad draft, just bad picks"

Bball
05-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Everytime I see this thread title:
Does this team need any more picks

...I think I see:
Does this team need any more pricks

-Bball

Kegboy
05-07-2006, 04:08 PM
To quote Mel Kiper - "There's never a bad draft, just bad picks"

Go look at the 2000 Kenyon Martin draft, and tell me it was as good as the 2003 LeBron draft.

There's a big difference between basketball and football. Not only more players, but football contracts aren't guaranteed. They're not stuck with bad players if they draft them.

Frank Slade
05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Everytime I see this thread title:
Does this team need any more picks

...I think I see:
Does this team need any more pricks

-Bball

And here I thought this thread was about the Offense needing to set more picks... :dunno:
To echo Kegboy.. this is one draft you really don't want to bank to much on, so getting more picks for this year probably will not be as helpful as in the past few years..

*And don't forget we still have :suns:'s 2008 second-round pick. :unimpress

SoupIsGood
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't care what draft they are for, as long as it's the next two or three years... not the next decade or something.

I just want us to take RUDDDDDDY FERNANDEZZZZZZZZ with our pick.

Robertmto
I'm not saying they're all just as good as the others. But there's never a ba ddraft. The 2000 draft had K-Mart, Mike Miller, Q-Rich, Hedo Turkoglo, Michael Redd, Marko Jaric, and Eduardo Najera. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Anthem
And here I thought this thread was about the Offense needing to set more picks... :dunno:
I thought the same thing!

CableKC
05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Don't 2nd round draft picks cost less to sign?

If we had another early 2nd round draft pick...I can easily see us picking up another James Jones type player.

Anthem
05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Don't 2nd round draft picks cost less to sign?
Yes, plus they're not guaranteed.

beast23
05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
I think it's ridiculous to think that you will build a contender through the draft.

As Peck says, "as long as you are willing to wait 4-5 years for the players to mature." And that doesn't even consider the fact that when you are picking after about pick #6-7, you are bound to make mistakes with some of your selections. So, even if we picked at #10 for 5 years in a row, we would be pretty lucky if 3 of the 5 players panned out. And we'd be even luckier if 1 of the 5 ended up being an All-Star player.

I think that where we are picking, you pick up role players, hoping that every now and then you land a future starter. But more than likely, you land rotational players.

Where we are selecting, unless we acquire better picks through trades, we should consider that any significant improvement to the team will most likely be made through trades, not the draft.

Bball
05-08-2006, 01:25 AM
I think it's ridiculous to think that you will build a contender through the draft.

As Peck says, "as long as you are willing to wait 4-5 years for the players to mature." And that doesn't even consider the fact that when you are picking after about pick #6-7, you are bound to make mistakes with some of your selections. So, even if we picked at #10 for 5 years in a row, we would be pretty lucky if 3 of the 5 players panned out. And we'd be even luckier if 1 of the 5 ended up being an All-Star player.

I think that where we are picking, you pick up role players, hoping that every now and then you land a future starter. But more than likely, you land rotational players.

Where we are selecting, unless we acquire better picks through trades, we should consider that any significant improvement to the team will most likely be made through trades, not the draft.

And by my count we are into year 6 of "Rebuilding on the fly" and I don't see any championship banners hanging yet...and we appear to be farther away, not closer.

My point is not to disagree with you or Peck... It is to point out that saying 4-5 years isn't simply 4-5 years from now (IMHO). It would be 4-5 years AT BEST after you've had a few years of drafts (with hopefully few or no mistakes that would delay things even longer).

-Bball

Bball
05-08-2006, 01:28 AM

As Peck says, "as long as you are willing to wait 4-5 years for the players to mature." And that doesn't even consider the fact that when you are picking after about pick #6-7, you are bound to make mistakes with some of your selections.

...But if we could pick at #5 I bet we could hit a homerun.

:devil:

-Bball

BTW: I'm not disagreeing... I'm pointing out how optimistic these posts really are even tho some will see them as pessimistic and 'worst case scenarios'.

SoupIsGood
05-08-2006, 06:24 AM

I think it's even more ridiculous to think we will build one with awesome trade pieces like Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley. :unimpress

The draft at least gives us a chance.

DisplacedKnick
05-08-2006, 08:25 AM
And by my count we are into year 6 of "Rebuilding on the fly" and I don't see any championship banners hanging yet...and we appear to be farther away, not closer.

My point is not to disagree with you or Peck... It is to point out that saying 4-5 years isn't simply 4-5 years from now (IMHO). It would be 4-5 years AT BEST after you've had a few years of drafts (with hopefully few or no mistakes that would delay things even longer).

-Bball

I've come to believe that no team rebuilding concept is worth much past 3 years - you just can't project that far in the future in the NBA.

Look at the Pacers - in 2000 the team was "rebuilt". By 2003-04 besides Jermaine and Reggie, how many players were left from that team?

Going into the 06-07 season, how many players will be left from that team?

There are a couple of exceptions where a team's core stays together - Detroit and the Spurs come to mind. But even there you have decisions to make - for all of Joe Dumars' brilliance he can't change the fact that he'll be paying Ben big bucks this summer and Chauncey Billups will be looking at big money next summer (plus Prince has what I'm sure is a hefty extension starting next year). How high is Detroit willing to push its team salary?

5 year plans in the NBA just don't seem to work - situations are too fluid.

Slick Pinkham
05-08-2006, 09:03 AM

I would like to be in the Bulls situation.

Good draft picks Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon, Deng, Chandler, undrafted free agent Nocioni, the Knicks pick this year, their own pick this year, the option to switch picks with the Knicks next year.

The pieces don't fit perfectly-- they are too small-- but they have amassed a lot of talent through the draft strategy and with some mere tinkering and expected maturation it's highly likely that they are far closer to being a contender than the Pacers are. Of course they have been down quite a few years to get into this position.

Robertmto
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM

draft picks Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon, Deng, Chandler, undrafted free agent Nocioni, the Knicks pick this year, their own pick this year, the option to switch picks with the Knicks next year.

The pieces don't fit perfectly-- they are small-- but they have amassed a lot of talent through the draft strategy and it's highly likely that they are far closer to being a contender than the Pacers are.

If the Bulls can get lucky enuff in the lottery draft and have the oppurtunity to draft LaMarcus Aldridge they could be a real contendr next year. In te East at least...

RWB
05-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Good draft picks Hinrich, Gordon, Duhon, Deng, Chandler, undrafted free agent Nocioni, the Knicks pick this year, their own pick this year, the option to switch picks with the Knicks next year.

The pieces don't fit perfectly-- they are too small-- but they have amassed a lot of talent through the draft strategy and with some mere tinkering and expected maturation it's highly likely that they are far closer to being a contender than the Pacers are. Of course they have been down quite a few years to get into this position.

When you say down PT you're not joking.

2004-05 47 35 .573
2003-04 23 59 .280
2002-03 30 52 .366
2001-02 21 61 .256
2000-01 15 67 .183
1999-00 17 65 .207
1998-99 13 37 .260